Any regrets?

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2014.
dokuro
Experienced Poster

Any regrets?

Post by dokuro »

Sure we don't like to dwell on them too much since what's done is done, and there's no use thinking about what could have been. Still, I'm just going to make this thread for people who regret something, no matter how big or small,you think it is.

Well, as said in my signature, I regret not being as social as I was last year. I know why I've become mentally weaker and more socially awkward since last year and it kinda sucks. I made quite a few friends this year but now like...I exchanged a couple words with some cool people and I had REALLY wished I'd asked to hang out, get skypes, idk something, but eh.. See I feel like if I asked for skypes I'd come off as hitting on someone, which wouldn't have been (asexual and grey area aromantic). My age stopped me a bit, too. I'm 17 and most of the people I talked with were over 19. My friends that I was with are well over 20 too but I know them. I was afraid of making some of the older people I talked to feel awkward or anything, eheheh. Especially since I've been told that I look younger than I am...

As for shopping regrets, I have none. I did want that grey kitty cat kigurumi (I think it's spelled), but by the time i had decided I wanted one they were sold out. Not really a biggie since I see'em on amazon all the time anyways ^-^

So, what are your regrets, if you have any? Anything you'd like to keep in mind and use as resolve for next year? I promise myself that AB2015 will be like my 2013 where I socialize more, and I won't forget it! And just remember that no matter what you wish you had done, you went to Anime Boston 2014 and that's ultimately what matters. That, and having fun ♡☆
PatternerMage
Expert Poster

Re: Any regrets?

Post by PatternerMage »

I'm with you on the social thing. Cons are great places to meet awesome new people, and, sadly, I have gotten worse and worse at starting conversations :/
On the other hand, one of the beautiful things about conventions is that everyone knows they have something in common, so even age differences are not as much of a problem :)
True enough, though, I feel really awkward asking for people's contact info. Even if we had a really engaging conversation and seemed to have a lot in common :(

My biggest regret is not doing better in the hall cosplay. I do not think I prepared enough for the judging session and so maybe did not represent my cosplay as well as I could have. Plus, you know, running a little low on funds and not being able to do some of the things with my cosplay that I had originally planned on doing. Oh, well, knowledge to put away for next time :/

It was a great year, though, and I loved seeing so many the beautiful cosplays!
Last edited by PatternerMage on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayube
Expert Poster

Post by Kayube »

I think I probably should have hung out in the karaoke room a bit longer after I'd finished my song on Sunday. There were some cool people there and I might have actually had enough time to do one more song before leaving.
PatternerMage
Expert Poster

Post by PatternerMage »

Kayube wrote:I think I probably should have hung out in the karaoke room a bit longer after I'd finished my song on Sunday. There were some cool people there and I might have actually had enough time to do one more song before leaving.
Definitely! Leaving early on Sunday is ALWAYS one of my regrets, whether I'm going to an event or not. Usually I have to catch a bus back to Albany. I am so glad you had fun at the karaoke though :)
dokuro
Experienced Poster

Post by dokuro »

Kayube wrote:I think I probably should have hung out in the karaoke room a bit longer after I'd finished my song on Sunday. There were some cool people there and I might have actually had enough time to do one more song before leaving.
Aww this was the only year that I didn't go to the karaoke room. I never sing unless it's a parody or joke song, but I just LOVE listening to others. I'm glad you had fun! And hey, at least you can think of a couple more songs for next year :3
iineko
Getting the hang of this...

Post by iineko »

I definitely can relate with the socializing bit. >___<;;
I planned onto making friends but I ended up not starting the conversation at all. Or clumsily make a comment about a person's cosplay and they walk away because I'm just a strange child. ; n ;. I definitely regret not taking pictures of several cosplayers that I really liked. I would stop myself from asking with dumb shut-downs like 'You already looked his/her way. Now it's just awkward if you turned back!' 'S/he is with a group of friends.. it's too awkward to ask!' and etc.

Shopping-wise, I 'kinda' regret spending most of my con money on posters alone. I ended up spending around $130? on posters.
I kinda wished I invested a bit more into my manga collection and gundam collection. Highly upset over losing my EXO mask ;n ;

Last regret would be not cosplaying this year.. I had planned to construct an Ezreal cosplay at the end of AB2013 but I never got to it. And it's a heavy feeling at times ; n ;
Amjam
Determined Poster

Post by Amjam »

I regret not doing more this year! I was all about not making big commitments, because AB is my hometown con and I like to just see people and chill, but it felt like I didn't do enough. I wish I'd made a cosplay, or submitted an AMV, or run a couple of panels, or volunteered or something. That's the plan for next year at least lol.

I know what you mean about wishing youd been more social, though, dokuro. I feel like I didn't get to spontaneously make a new friend waiting in line for something, or whatever. Best of luck to you with that next year, I'm sure it'll go fine. Haha
:geek: Arthur
attendee since '06, occasional panelist
Kayube
Expert Poster

Post by Kayube »

The other thing is that I couldn't really get the full experience due to not having a hotel room. I had to drive to South Attleboro and take the train back and forth for each day. Because of that, I had to leave the JAM Project group concert in the middle so I could get a reasonable amount of sleep, couldn't even go to the solo one, and missed out on most of Sunday because of the train schedules. But once I have a steady job I'll probably try to make the effort to stay for the whole weekend.

...also, I found the shirt I actually wanted to wear for Sunday... as I was getting to bed that night. (But I wore it today anyway!)
KatyKatMeowChan

Post by KatyKatMeowChan »

I regret turning down a video interview for a Cosplay/Nerd magazine/channel, I'm so darn camera shy, but I feel like now it would've been an amazing experience. Especially because the interviewer seemed to be very impressed with my cosplay...
TaurenTom
I'm new!

Post by TaurenTom »

Not bringing my field camera, and definitely forgetting a battery pack for my cell phone :/
kaitanuva

Post by kaitanuva »

Kayube wrote:The other thing is that I couldn't really get the full experience due to not having a hotel room. I had to drive to South Attleboro and take the train back and forth for each day. Because of that, I had to leave the JAM Project group concert in the middle so I could get a reasonable amount of sleep, couldn't even go to the solo one, and missed out on most of Sunday because of the train schedules. But once I have a steady job I'll probably try to make the effort to stay for the whole weekend.

...also, I found the shirt I actually wanted to wear for Sunday... as I was getting to bed that night. (But I wore it today anyway!)
This is my second convention ever and the first time I (1) wore a cosplay and (2) stayed at a hotel room. Most of the time you feel like walking around like a model showing off your awesome cosplay and getting recognized and getting your photo taken that by the end of Saturday, I was SOOOO spent I didn't want to do anything and just sleep. Be careful what you wish for!
Kusari
Experienced Poster

Post by Kusari »

My regrets are probably not getting enough pictures and not getting contact information from people I met! D:
instantreplay

Post by instantreplay »

My only regret is not going to any panels. There were a lot of panels that I wanted to go to but I didn't because none of my friends wanted to go and I didn't want to go alone ; A ;
Connecticon '13
Fanime '13
Lyon Con '13
Connecticon '12
Connecticon '11
Connecticon '10
Vorel Sama

Post by Vorel Sama »

I regret not staying for the Q&A after the first three episodes of the Attack on Titian premier.
I kinda wish I told my friend no and met up after I was done.
BTW, if anyone can tell me how it went please send me a PM with the details.
2013: Fionna (From Adventure Time) all three days
2014: Fionna (From Adventure Time) all three days again
I will donk evil's butt like it's nobodies business!
dokuro
Experienced Poster

Post by dokuro »

instantreplay wrote:My only regret is not going to any panels. There were a lot of panels that I wanted to go to but I didn't because none of my friends wanted to go and I didn't want to go alone ; A ;

Awwww D: well think of it this way, next year you can go to panels, even alone, and possibly make some friends at them! C: I went to a phoenix wright panel last year, even though I've never played any of the games and met some really cool people.
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

Not saving up enough over the year. I barely had enough money to go in cosplay, but no money to actually spend in the Dealer's Room and Artist's Alley. Walking around those two was absolute torture for someone with no money to spare for merch.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
Soarinwater
Expert Poster

Post by Soarinwater »

I do have one regret this year, Is that since I went and saw the cosplay chess live in 2013, I honestly inspired myself to try to enter this year to get into the cosplay games.
Though at the last moment I chickened out because I felt as though I wouldn't have been able to do well, but I do regret not even trying,
so I do resolve to next year at least send it one costume to the games and just hope that I get into one ^^
VideoGameStupid
Experienced Poster

Post by VideoGameStupid »

iineko wrote:I definitely can relate with the socializing bit. >___<;;
. I definitely regret not taking pictures of several cosplayers that I really liked. I would stop myself from asking with dumb shut-downs like 'You already looked his/her way. Now it's just awkward if you turned back!' 'S/he is with a group of friends.. it's too awkward to ask!' and etc.
THIS! THIS TIMES A THOUSAND!
SabitaUsagi

Post by SabitaUsagi »

Yeah not socializing more for sure.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Kinda.

I wish I had the courage to ask people for contact info.
I wish I saw more gameshows.
I wish I was able to convert my AMV better (Audio was terrible, and it seemed sped up)
I wish I had said hi to Greg Ayres when I saw him in Shaws on Thursday Night.

But you know, in the end, everything was great. This year was more of a "take pics/hang out with friends" weekend than it was a con-experience to the fullest I usually have it, and that's not bad. It was a change of pace, and for a good cause. I never get that much time and laughs with the friends.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
MDK
Experienced Poster

Post by MDK »

Uh, I should have taken non camera-phone pictures. Also I regret bumping into people because of my big ol' Ra's collar. So if I bumped into you and you're reading this, sorry!

2017: Styx (Styx/Of Orcs and Men series)
2016: Ra's al Ghul, John Wick, Suwako Moriya
2015: Clover (Payday 2), Jacket (Hotline Miami)
2014: Ra's al Ghul (Batman)
2013: Calendar Girl (Batman), Rosalie Rowan (The Zeta Project)
2011/2012: Suwako Moriya (Touhou)
2009: Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
2008: Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter)
2005: Terra (Teen Titans)
thewhimsywizard
AB Alumni

Post by thewhimsywizard »

Every year I tell myself to not be so shy and to actually try to make friends and get peoples pictures, and every year I completely failed and just spend the convention staring at the ground shyly and stumbling my way through awkward conversations. ;-;

I just wanna make convention friends. :c
Kara (Kai) Marston
Creative Technical Staff
Sunset Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Sunset Hero »

90% of my regrets stem from my choice in costume. My Pangoro Cosplay overheated me so much, and made me so tired that I couldn't get pictures of the amazing cosplays I saw. Not to mention I was so tired on Friday because of it, that I only went to two events all day long. It's also sad because I had so many photos I wanted to take. I wanted to find other Pokemon and do a Pokemon battle. I wanted to find a Fight Club President Miku and get a few pictures with her. I wanted to go to the Pokemon Panel, and the Pokemon Photo shoot, both on Saturday, but I had to get out of that costume as soon as possible. Standing upright for two hours straight didn't help the matter at all.

Still, I'm not going to look back at this year with sorrow. The Deathmatch, both Dating Games and Bad Anime Bad were so hilarious that I couldn't possibly be upset. Besides, I'm too focused on next year's costume.
ashanyao
Veteran Poster

Post by ashanyao »

i have a few:

- i didn't know i was going this year until last minute because i've been unemployed since january and my luck finally turned around the day before the convention. normally i buy my pass once they're released but i had so much going on that i forgot.. so i hated having to pay so much at the door BUT i am glad my family encouraged me to go and enjoy myself after a tough winter.
- because of this i missed christina vee and since i wore two k-on cosplays it would've been nice to meet her. ;_;
- also woke up late throughout the convention and missed all the panels i wanted to see. D:

like many others have vocalized, i - too - have wanted to be more social at cons since normally i go by myself but it seems i spend more time wandering around, looking at merch and thinking about taking photos (but waiting too late .. and this year i didn't take enough!) :roll:
✧・゚:* AB 2024 *:・゚✧
Friday AM ⋆ Sailor Mars
Friday PM ⋆ Princess / Prom Flayn
Saturday ⋆ Timeskip Lysithea (masquerade) - FE3H
Sunday ⋆ Abigail - Stardew Valley

✧・゚:* SOCIALS *:・゚✧
https://www.instagram.com/ashanyao/
https://www.facebook.com/ashanyaocosplay/
https://twitter.com/ashanyao
PetersburgRush
Experienced Poster

Post by PetersburgRush »

I have two shopping regrets. The first is that I hesitated buying this poster on Sunday and then the last one was bought right in front of me, seconds before I made the decision to go ahead and buy it. That was heartbreaking because I loved that print.

The second was that I actually spent money on a doge shirt. A DOGE shirt like why???? Why did I think that was a good idea????

There's also the fact that I started working on the sweater for my cosplay in the early episodes of the anime, and as the anime went on I liked it less so then I was stuck with this cosplay. Not that I still didn't enjoy it! It was a great weekend, and I don't even regret missing the Masquerade for the first time this year. Everything was pretty awesome.
2010: Anna Kyoyama (Shaman King)
2011: Toph, Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
2012: Esmerelda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
2013: Taffyta Muttonfudge (Wreck-It Ralph)
2014: Mirai Kuriyama (Beyond the Boundary)
2015: Josephine Montilyet (Dragon Age: Inquisition), Ishizu Ishtar (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I'm sure some people saw me, I was Kaitou Kid from Detective Conan, and I think I was the only DC cosplayer at the entire con.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Kinzer0
I'm new!

Post by Kinzer0 »

I wanted to get Jam Project's Autograph, but didnt wanna leave my hotel room, Masami Okui was next door to me though, that was pretty cool. i was too shy to talk to her when i ran into her though.
Facebook.com/KinZer0
alitwick
I'm new!

Post by alitwick »

Seems like not socializing enough is a common concern with most con goers, and understandably so. Cons, while super fun, can be pretty overwhelming with thoughts like, "Should I wait in line for x event?", "Do I have enough money for food/DVDs/Blu-Rays/artist's alley stuff?", "Can I make it to this panel on time?", etc. It's completely understandable to not socialize enough even if you really wanted to. When I was in the Kill la Kill photoshoot, there were mostly group photos of different characters per shoot. I did get to talk for a little bit with like, 2 or 3 cosplayers, but other than that, it was all photo taking. There wasn't much of a "meetup", just a photoshoot, since by the time it was over, everyone went on their way somewhere.

I'm wondering if there can be a "con social power hour" or program on those lines? I think it would help get our mindset out of the things to do and stuff to buy, then by doing that, would encourage people to talk and exchange contact info if they wanted to. It'd be nice to make it official programming too, so that everyone has a chance to know about it.

As for me, I regret not being able to go to the JAM Project concert since it was so late and I couldn't bother waiting in that line. I did get to hear them on Saturday night during their solo from the Artist Alley. Also, I wished I either attended the Opening or Closing Ceremony, which are the few events I haven't been to in my years at AB.
astromoth
Experienced Poster

Post by astromoth »

Regrets? Probably not going to the Black Butler photoshoot on Friday and Saturday. I had no idea there were any!
2013: Tsunade (Naruto Shippuden)
2014: Butler!Grell (Kuroshitsuji)
2015: Fem!Austria (Hetalia)
2016: Trisha Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
∞: Trisha Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

2016 DEATHMATCH CHAMPION
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

The only thing I could possibly list as a regret was buying the 4 NISA BD sets that I did. I bought them because it seemed they were discounted well below what I could get them for online, only to find out after I brought them up and was paying for them that the tax hadn't been included in the price. I only paid $1 more than what I'd have had to pay at TRSI, so it's not like I really lost out, but I have such a huge backlog of DVDs and BDs already that I wouldn't have bought them if I wasn't thinking that I was getting a major discount. Stupid sales tax.

But otherwise, I don't have a single regret. I got what I came for (Yuko Minaguchi's autograph), I got in to every panel I wanted except for one (Anime Hell, but I got there after it started since I was in a panel before that, so it's not like I was waiting in line and got denied), and I saw a lot better Kill la Kill cosplay than I was fearing I was going to see. So all in all, the lone regret I have is quite the minor affair.
madslowburnish
Expert Poster

Post by madslowburnish »

HAH. Regrets.

I regret sitting on the third floor reading Hyrule Historia on Sunday instead of buying the other three wigs I wanted, since the Dealer's Room was closed when I finally made up my mind and went down again.
I regret accidentally falling asleep and napping for an hour Saturday evening. Not only did I miss the Kill la Kill panel I wanted, but maybe I could have helped my sister not lose her badge.
I regret not doing my makeup for more cosplays (although I was late to enough things as it was).
I regret being late to the Kill la Kill and Tales Of photoshoots.
I regret not handing out water bottles as Haruka or asking people about the photoshoots.
I regret not turning to Bandit Keith at lunch and recognizing him as the badass Giovanni from cons past.
I regret not spending more time with my friends' amazing Black Butler group.
I regret not talking with people more, striking up conversations like I used to be able to, let alone taking their contact info and hanging out.
I regret not going to ANY of Greg Ayers' panels.
I regret not getting Patrick Seitz's autograph.
I REGRET JAM PROJECT. Not having the time or willingness to commit to lining up for tickets and attending either of the wonderful-by-the-sound-of-it concerts.
I regret not pushing the envelope enough with my characters. I was too slow as Marik and too withdrawn as Haruka and a giant wuss as Kyouya, especially at the ball.
And I also kind of regret not wearing Marik on Sunday.

But my biggest regret?
MISSING SARAH STONE IN THE ARTIST'S ALLEY. I found out way, way too late that she would be there, and regret is a severe understatement of what I feel.
Last edited by madslowburnish on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AB23
Wonderful Life Pony Jill
Anime Boston 2012
Friday: Colette Brunel, Chibitalia
Saturday: Prince Hungary, Colette Brunel
Sunday: Pony
Anime Boston 2013
Friday: Raine Sage (Glamorous Beauty)
Saturday: Kugelmugel, Issun, Glam Beauty Raine, Amelia Seyruun, Mako Nerima
Sunday: Beauty Raine
AB14:
Haruka Nanase, Marik Ishtar, Freedert!Daisuke Niwa, Nonon Jakuzure, Lloyd Irving, Kyouya Ootori, Germany, Hungary
AB15:
L, Alicia, Paula, DIO, Marik, America, Kyouya
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

I regret not making it to ANY panels. It's hard when you're staff, though, and when I wasn't working I was in the Dealer's Room or Artist Alley. C'est la vie!
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
alitwick
I'm new!

Post by alitwick »

I forgot to mention that I also regret attending the Aniplex of America panel instead of the Kodansha one since they were at the same time. The AoA Q&A was pointless as heck. All the answers given were either "we don't have any information on that," or "no comment". The announcements were super obvious, too. Though it was nice to be able to hear it first, I would have much preferred to listen to Kodansha's announcements. They would've had more satisfying answers, too. Word to the wise, if you have to choose between going to Aniplex's panel or Kodansha's, GO TO KODANSHA'S.
katiesully15
I'm new!

Post by katiesully15 »

I had a few regrets. One was going over my budget by about $100 (Why do they have to accept credit cards?!?!). Another was buying a corset that was $150 (but it is prettyyy) IDK where I'm going to wear it next.

My final regret was not getting the contact info of an awesome guy I met in the dealers room. But I'm not really regretting it anymore because as luck would have it, he is fem the same area as me and I saw him again. Definitely not passing up on this chance again ^.^ I don't do double regrets. (FYI: Double regrets = regretting the same thing on two different occasions)
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

My only regret was not having enough Money on my debit card this time.
Jekka
AB Alumni

Post by Jekka »

I regret ever having witnessed the crab reynolds, as I can never unsee it.

Jekka Cormier
Game Shows
Chibi Project
Anime Unscripted
ABFAN

Post by ABFAN »

I regret that I could not go for the third day, and that AB isn't a week long.
AB Attendee since 2012.
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

I regret not buying a head for my wig and using my lamp instead. Said wig now has a large burn going around it.

I also regret not looking for DVDs/Blu Rays of Madoka Magica before Sunday afternoon. ((I'd have kicked myself for it, but frankly I was too sore.))
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

not having a real camera cause i can't take pictures of ppl and put it up online after words i really would love to get one maybe with what's left over from my tax refund? (rest is paying for the con ^^)
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective