Another off year for me...Idk have I out grown AB?!

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2014.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Another off year for me...Idk have I out grown AB?!

Post by dstnyskr »

So I wasn't actually planning to attend this year, as I thought I would be going on a trip during the time of the con.
23 year old here...I don't think I'm told old for anime, maybe it was just the convention that made me feel old?

Commute, hassle, volunteer comments/questions:
Anyway I live outside of Boston, so I commuted early to get in line to register. Gates/door opens at (as schedule) 8am for badges.
Low and behold the doors only were open to people who had 'Pre-registered' for the first 30-40 minutes of opening and then finally open to the 'at-con' line.

The volunteers were fantastic! They knew exactly what they were doing and kept you on your toes. Much MUCH better than last years group. If they didn't know how to answer something that would point you in the direction to ask a senior volunteer for complicated questions. A++

As always I saw that one staffer who has COME EVERY SINGLE YEAR and (so I have heard) IS A TRAINED KARATE MASTER....he always looks like he is about to pounce on you and isn't going to take any BS........you may know who I am talking about.

Towards appropriate staff/representatives/admins:
(in reference to above)Why were 'pre-reg' people allowed in at 8am before 'at-con' people? especially since the per-registered people had a bonus 'day before (thursday)' access to their badges?
Is there any future ideas on how to make the 'bag security check' lines more structured and easier to access the con?

Major overall feel:

I had a lot of fun this year! Still sad there was no informal dance..but I suppose that is still a WIP....(I won't dwell on that)

Attack on Titan of course was overwhelmingly popular, as expected. As well as (one of my favorites) Kill la kill! I was a little surprised there was not a lot of merch in the dealers room for Kill la Kill...but I guess it is still pretty fresh.
I was glad there weren't as many overwhelmingly large amount of Homestuck cosplay's (no offense).

I just felt there was a taste in my mouth wanting something more, sort of speak.
Does anyone else feel that way? Maybe it was just the convention that felt odd?
There were a lot of great anime's that came out this past year and recent months, So I don't feel the anime was in the fog.

My friend, that I had accompanied for her first time to the convention was so blown away by the con. She had the glint in her eye of pure excitement and overwhelming belittlement by such a grand congregation. Just as I was when I attended Anime Boston 2006 on my first time, it was very nostalgic. I miss that level of feeling excitement.
I actually was a little worried for her at first because I thought she was having a panic attack due to such a large crowd and her fear of large gatherings like that. But man she turned into the most giddy little thing you could ever see!

I didn't go to many panels. I wanted to go to the Attack on Titan dubbing and Q&A but I knew better that there would be an overwhelming turnout for it and I wouldn't probably end up getting a good seat.
I heard a rumor the line got divided into 2 lines and one line was almost left in the dust once the doors opened to let people in, is this true? Did anyone have this experience?

I had fun cosplaying :) People were really into the costume and I always made sure to move the picture taking off to the side from the crowd traffic. Much better work in the crowds this year.

All in all I would give the convention an overall B+

Discuss:
How did you all feel about this years AB? Do you feel to old for AB?
then again I believe there was a 70-80 yr old woman attending the con this year?.......
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
Noblesse Oblige
I'm new!

Re: Another off year for me...Idk have I out grown AB?!

Post by Noblesse Oblige »

I'm not sure it's an age thing man. Im 24 and I had an experience closer to that of your friend. Then again, it was my second Con ever. Maybe the novelty of it has worn off for you, but as long as you keep finding aspects of it that you enjoy, then there's reason to keep coming back (and it seems to me that there's plenty to experience). Another thing I will note is that American culture is adamant about segregating it's populace into neat little categories and trains us to feel uncomfortable when we don't strictly adhere to these categorizations such as age, gender, race, etc - as long as you can get over this you can be alot freer to enjoy what you want. Hope this helps.
Tymm
AB Alumni

Post by Tymm »

You got me curious as to who that staffer is. What do they look like or was wearing?
dstnyskr wrote:As always I saw that one staffer who has COME EVERY SINGLE YEAR and (so I have heard) IS A TRAINED KARATE MASTER....he always looks like he is about to pounce on you and isn't going to take any BS........you may know who I am talking about.
Also I understand where you're coming from as I've ran into a similar experience when I attend King Richards Renaissance Faire.
Tim McKenzie
Security Staff 2010-2014
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

I'm 27, will be 28 in May. Don't really care if anyone thinks I'm "too old" for cons. They're still a good time for me and I'll keep coming as long as I enjoy them.

Last year I started hosting my own panels at most cons I go to, for some reason that got rid of some of the feelings of "am I too old for this?" that I was also having at cons before that. Maybe something you could try too? It makes it feel like you have an appropriate reason to be there/are giving back to the con (also I would imagine staffing or volunteering would give you a very similar feeling, probably even stronger). Just a thought, I guess.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
mclovenasty
Getting the hang of this...

Post by mclovenasty »

YOOOOO As a volunteer this year, reading that you really were happy with our work makes me so happy I'm really glad your questions got answered!

As for the overall experience, I can understand that totally! I don't think its just a specific anime fan thing either... I bet theres folks out there that wonder if they've outgrown their urge to go to concerts, or to go tailgating at sporting events and so on... I think if I were to make a suggestion, it'd be to try changing up your goals for next year if you go!
Like for example, I'm the sort of person who enjoys cosplaying and going to meet people at cosplay meets. If it becomes too rigid for me and stuff, maybe I'd start attending panels or watching anime on top of that or switch it out for that! Hell, I don't even go to the special events... maybe I should sometime...

Oh! As for the attack on titan panel, I was volunteering near the front so I'm not entirely sure about the line split in two... BUT I can confirm that everything filled up SO fast. It wouldn't be impossible to venture that it was true...

Haha sorry if these sound real awful ngl I'm exhausted from this weekend still and I have school to go to (weep) but I agree with you on your criticisms...
I cannot venture the BEST answers to them, but the only thing I could think of for that first one is that it was either 1) Pre-reg folks that happened to be volunteers being let in for their duties (we had a LOT this year, so that may be it???), or 2) that it was simply how it worked out? Like, there's no differences in badges at all other than when you receive them tbh... prereg or at-con, you've got a badge. So maybe it was simply a matter of "we opened the con at 8 AM, and it happened to be pre-reged folks that got in first because they had their badges already"!

Sorry if these answers kinda suck, or if I'm overstepping my boundaries and stuff because I'm not staff. ; v ; Staff may shoo me away with a stick if they wish.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Tymm wrote:You got me curious as to who that staffer is. What do they look like or was wearing?
dstnyskr wrote:As always I saw that one staffer who has COME EVERY SINGLE YEAR and (so I have heard) IS A TRAINED KARATE MASTER....he always looks like he is about to pounce on you and isn't going to take any BS........you may know who I am talking about.
Also I understand where you're coming from as I've ran into a similar experience when I attend King Richards Renaissance Faire.
He had his cami uniform on (as he always does) and had somewhat long dark hair pulled back in a loose shaggy ponytail, normal body frame, stands straight and looks at you like he is ready to go to war. He likes to snack on protein bars , but I guess that doesn't really help (rare times I see him doing that).

p.s.-I can't wait till King Richards faire this year! :D
Let destiny decide.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Xias wrote:I'm 27, will be 28 in May. Don't really care if anyone thinks I'm "too old" for cons. They're still a good time for me and I'll keep coming as long as I enjoy them.

Last year I started hosting my own panels at most cons I go to, for some reason that got rid of some of the feelings of "am I too old for this?" that I was also having at cons before that. Maybe something you could try too? It makes it feel like you have an appropriate reason to be there/are giving back to the con (also I would imagine staffing or volunteering would give you a very similar feeling, probably even stronger). Just a thought, I guess.
Yeah, I think I need to change it up.
I was thinking of renting a artist alley table next year with a friend, so I might try that. Give something worth while to do.
thanks for the input! :)
Let destiny decide.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

mclovenasty wrote:YOOOOO As a volunteer this year, reading that you really were happy with our work makes me so happy I'm really glad your questions got answered!

As for the overall experience, I can understand that totally! I don't think its just a specific anime fan thing either... I bet theres folks out there that wonder if they've outgrown their urge to go to concerts, or to go tailgating at sporting events and so on... I think if I were to make a suggestion, it'd be to try changing up your goals for next year if you go!
Like for example, I'm the sort of person who enjoys cosplaying and going to meet people at cosplay meets. If it becomes too rigid for me and stuff, maybe I'd start attending panels or watching anime on top of that or switch it out for that! Hell, I don't even go to the special events... maybe I should sometime...

Oh! As for the attack on titan panel, I was volunteering near the front so I'm not entirely sure about the line split in two... BUT I can confirm that everything filled up SO fast. It wouldn't be impossible to venture that it was true...

Haha sorry if these sound real awful ngl I'm exhausted from this weekend still and I have school to go to (weep) but I agree with you on your criticisms...
I cannot venture the BEST answers to them, but the only thing I could think of for that first one is that it was either 1) Pre-reg folks that happened to be volunteers being let in for their duties (we had a LOT this year, so that may be it???), or 2) that it was simply how it worked out? Like, there's no differences in badges at all other than when you receive them tbh... prereg or at-con, you've got a badge. So maybe it was simply a matter of "we opened the con at 8 AM, and it happened to be pre-reged folks that got in first because they had their badges already"!

Sorry if these answers kinda suck, or if I'm overstepping my boundaries and stuff because I'm not staff. ; v ; Staff may shoo me away with a stick if they wish.
Thank you for volunteering! great job!
I think you're a bit confused about what I'm speaking of. I'm talking about the lines to get your badges to enter the convention. There was 2 separate lines to enter the main room for your badge, one for 'Pre-registered" and one for 'At-con (not pre-reg)'.
There is nothing on the convention schedule about friday lines being segregated for 'pre-reg' attendees to enter first for the first 30-40 minutes of opening at 8am.
Sheraton: 2nd Floor, Back Bay Ballroom
Thursday (Pre-reg only) 4pm - 10pm
Friday 8am - 9pm
Saturday 8am - 9pm
Sunday 8am - 12pm
-via anime boston website '2014 convention schedule'
Thanks again for your service and get some much deserved rest!
Let destiny decide.
SabitaUsagi

Post by SabitaUsagi »

Yeah I must concur with the rest in that it's not an age thing.
I was 25 the first year i went to AB went another couple years, skipped a few years.
I'm 30 now and really had no plans to go this year, didn't think i'd be able to get the time off work, didn't think i'd have the money to afford and enjoy it.
But thursday after finding out i'd have the weekend and whole next week off work I decided to go. No costume no idea what panels were going on or if I would run into anyone I knew.
While i'm slightly disenchanted by my personal experience socially ( only really due to my own quiet personality & shy nature when it comes to striking up conversation with new people), I still had a great time. I went to a few really good panels that really got me thinking about the shows I enjoy from a different perspective. I got a few compliments on my attire even though I wasn't in costume, and had one of those "This is just how I dress" moments when someone in the mall asked me what I was from.

After a few years years off I had sort of forgotten about the energy there, and now i'm just more geared to actually cosplay and plan ahead for next year.
I too miss the informal dance, went to the after-party thing at rise for a bit, but the energy was just not what i was looking for, and way to cramped. In pervious years the informal dances were the most fun way for me to meet new people.

I think maybe you need a fresh look at it, possibly a year off from it. Maybe just to shift your focus on what you want out of the Con.
As you get older you will probably want to stray from some of the teen feeling of the con. The best bet for that is 21+ plus group meet-ups and hitting the sushi bars (or maybe just bars) around the area. Think about the panels you want to go to and why, and if they are worth waiting in line for.
Hell maybe even think volunteering next year, since i bet that's a whole different perspective of the con.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Let's start by saying that I'm on the "wrong" side of 50, and that this is my 12th AB... ;)

Yes, it does feel different...but I mostly ascribe that to the fact that, for me, the novelty has long worn off. Also, despite the crowds, there was a distinct lack of frantic energy in the halls for the second year in a row (emphasis on the word frantic...and what wasn't here for the second year in a row? Coincidence?)

Yet I still have a good time, and continue to do so every year. I think the secret is my changing expectations of what AB is all about. A lot of my fun these days is talking to younger fans about shows of yesteryear and ABs long past. At times, I have more fun just yakking with strangers in line than I do at the panels we're waiting for. This year, I found a great new icebreaker: a denim vest, covered with a (portion of) my pin collection; people try to guess what characters they are/what shows they're from. And make no mistake--I still like shopping; trips to the dealer's room have become a discipline bordering on art form.

But the biggest change is bringing my 50+ year old fiancee to con; AB14 was her second year. Her transformation into an otaku (American definition) has been a smooth one over the past 18 months, and she already has her favorite shows, characters, and English voice actors. It's a blast seeing AB through her eyes; everything is new, and her excitement at getting Greg Ayres's autograph (her very favorite English VA) was a joy to behold.

Still it all, every year I wonder if this year may be my last, I'm getting too old for this, etc....and I still find myself at the con booth in the dealer's room, pre-reging for next year. I guess I know a good thing when I see it.

See you all in 2015!
Last edited by Master of NERV on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Galliana
I'm new!

Post by Galliana »

I was 23 at my FIRST anime boston, which also was the first anime boston, and have gone every year. It isn't your age, though I sometimes ask myself the same question. It's about what you get out of the con. Personally, one of the things that makes cons for me is cosplaying. I love making costumes and then wearing them at the con is elating. I have never had a group of people to wander with or group cosplay with, so the years I haven't had any friends at the con have been more lonely, especially as I have watches less and less over the years. But, the last few years have been a lot better as I have done a few things

1) I have a handful of friends that I spend time with when I can. EVERYTHING is more fun/bearable when you have someone to pass the time with, even if it is a 3 hour line.

2) I have given up going to anything but big events with lots of seating. LAST year, once I gave up trying to go to panels I kept not getting into and just started wandering the halls taking pictures, I got a LOT happier

3) This year I gave in to lines and just, sucked it up. I went to both Jam Project concerts and the Attack on titan dub. I waited on line a LOT. And because I was prepared for all that waiting, I had a much better time when I finally got into the events.

I also took Friday off work for the first time in YEARS, and at least this year, it was well worth it for me.

So no, you aren't too old, really! But if you want a boston con with a different feel with a decent anime presence, go to Arisia in January. Much calmer, smaller, much better (in my opinion) scheduling and organization of panels, lines aren't an issue, and the crowd is older overall than AB.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

See, I felt similar and ultimately ended up not attending this year. While it looks like people had a lot of fun, I felt everything leading up to it was lackluster (probably because I'm one of the few who do not like Attack on Titan). I also needed new glasses late last year so all the money I would've had for cosplay, went to that. Between the lack of new cosplay and no guests I was all that interested in (aside from Josh Grelle), I decided to ax my plans on attending, despite the amazing deal I got on our hotel room (under $300 for the weekend).
I love seeing the cosplay photos people have shared and look forward to the videos from the events since I had friends in it, but I so far don't regret having not gone and don't feel sad that I didn't go. I had friends who did go who were constantly updating their facebooks with stuff from it though, so maybe in a way, it felt almost like I was there without my pocket being $600 lighter. I am, however, excited about next year's theme (for the first time ever) and plan on attending since mecha is my favorite genre of anime.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

0b5cur3N3k0T3rr0r wrote:
I think maybe you need a fresh look at it, possibly a year off from it. Maybe just to shift your focus on what you want out of the Con.
As you get older you will probably want to stray from some of the teen feeling of the con. The best bet for that is 21+ plus group meet-ups and hitting the sushi bars (or maybe just bars) around the area. Think about the panels you want to go to and why, and if they are worth waiting in line for.
Hell maybe even think volunteering next year, since i bet that's a whole different perspective of the con.

I was considering to post on this myself but didnt know how to word it well. Thanks for this

I was 16 as an attendee back in 2006 for my first anime boston, but since then I found it more enjoyable to help out as staff since then (volunteer first then tech this year).

I highly recommend volunteering especially since you definitely get a different (and perhaps an even better experience) than as a regular attendee. Many of the volunteers are returning from previous years since its a family bond of helping, making new (and old) friends

mclovenasty wrote:YOOOOO As a volunteer this year, reading that you really were happy with our work makes me so happy I'm really glad your questions got answered!

pretty much...AoT was full both days

in seriousness, volunteers are appreciated from just about everyone especially staff......

I dont need to shoo you with a stick, I already left a slice of cake for you guys....hehehe
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

My first AB was in 2006, and I was 24. I cosplayed the first time the following year. If you do the math, I'm on my 8th AB, and I'm 32 now. And still cosplaying - so I don't think it's an age thing. This year, for the first time ever, I was completely alone at AB, for various reasons - but I still managed to make my own fun. I cosplayed obscure characters/lesser-known series, so I wasn't stopping frequently for photos; so I was able to attend a lot of panels, which I normally don't get to do. I actually managed to make it to the AMV contest and stay for the whole thing. I don't like to spend hours in line for things, so I didn't make it to the Saturday Attack on Titan showing, but it was easy to get a good seat at the repeat (which showed 5 episodes instead of 3) on Sunday morning.

You may need a break and to take some time off from cons in general. If you attend a lot of cons, it's easy to get burnout (I've gone through it myself). You may just need to try a different type of con. You may need to shake up your con experience - Artist's Alley, I think you mentioned, or running a panel. Let's face it - anime cons are all pretty similar (a dealer's hall, a masquerade, an artist's alley, some panels, a few voice actors). It may just be that your tastes have changed, or you are starting to run into a few "oh my goodness, how young ARE some of these people?" moments (the first of MANY, believe me). It may be that the onus is on you, and not the con, to keep it fresh. Good luck!
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Amjam
Determined Poster

Post by Amjam »

I felt this, kind of. A few of my friends commented that something about the con atmosphere this year had a very early 2000's vibe. I don't think it's an age thing or an anime boston thing necessarily so much as a "con time" thing, since the friends who were talking about that with me had also been coming for a while, and the ones who had sparkles in their eyes and the whole thing had only attended very recently - my first AB was also 2006 like it seems all of yall in this thread haha and I volunteered a little in either 2010 or 2011 but next year I'll be 21 and I think I want to sign up for staff/full time volunteering or something. Not sure if the same feeling is what you were going for, but personally I'm starting to think I've spent enough hours over the years roaming the halls of anime conventions, spending money, and posing for pictures, definitely high time I put on the colorful t-shirt and did monkeywork.
:geek: Arthur
attendee since '06, occasional panelist
Deany Kong
Experienced Poster

Post by Deany Kong »

My group of friends, we're around 23 (give or take a year) and we're also feeling a bit of growing pains with the con. The thing that we've been struggling with lately is that we don't identify with the current 'nerd' metagame. We don't get as excited or passionate as others do and we find some of the shenanigans pretty bothersome (shouting games, people blocking hallways, getting stuck behind a group of people who haven't showered all weekend, those guys that always interrupt panels with any statement beginning with the word "ACTUALLY...")

Anime Boston for us is less about the anime/meeting new people aspect now and is more about us hanging out together. It's a weekend where we all take time off work and pal around for a few days buying souvenirs and people watching.

The con really is what you make of it. Some people make a point to try and meet new people. Others want to see industry/guest speakers. We make bro time out of it. And as long as we can make bro time out of it I think we'll keep on coming.
2008: Rob Lucci | 2009: Rob Lucci | 2010: Walter
2011: Gary Oak | 2012: Gary Oak | 2013: Tony Stark
2014: Space Dandy | 2015: Space Dandy | 2016: Crocodile
2017: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay. | 2018: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Deany Kong wrote:My group of friends, we're around 23 (give or take a year) and we're also feeling a bit of growing pains with the con. The thing that we've been struggling with lately is that we don't identify with the current 'nerd' metagame. We don't get as excited or passionate as others do and we find some of the shenanigans pretty bothersome (shouting games, people blocking hallways, getting stuck behind a group of people who haven't showered all weekend, those guys that always interrupt panels with any statement beginning with the word "ACTUALLY...")

Anime Boston for us is less about the anime/meeting new people aspect now and is more about us hanging out together. It's a weekend where we all take time off work and pal around for a few days buying souvenirs and people watching.

The con really is what you make of it. Some people make a point to try and meet new people. Others want to see industry/guest speakers. We make bro time out of it. And as long as we can make bro time out of it I think we'll keep on coming.
What a solid statement! Thanks for putting the con in little bit of a different perspective for me! That was lovely to read. C':
Let destiny decide.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

A guy I know posted this on my Facebook after I posted my album of all the photos I took:

"Can I ask a serious question? Is this something you'll eventually grow out of? Or is this something you're in for life? Just curious how it works."

Honestly, I was really pissed off by this, and he ended up deleting his post. But I was thinking....20 years from now, will I still be going to Anime cons? I definitely want to keep going to these events, but at the same time, part of me likes going to cons to also mainly hang with friends. I know it's not going to last forever, but I know for now I'm not going to out grow these cons. We all have a great time, and age in my opinion shouldn't prevent us from getting to spend time with the people we are friends with.

Overall, this year was definitely amazing for me, and I can't wait for AB 2015.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

coolforever wrote:A guy I know posted this on my Facebook after I posted my album of all the photos I took:

"Can I ask a serious question? Is this something you'll eventually grow out of? Or is this something you're in for life? Just curious how it works."

Honestly, I was really pissed off by this, and he ended up deleting his post. But I was thinking....20 years from now, will I still be going to Anime cons? I definitely want to keep going to these events, but at the same time, part of me likes going to cons to also mainly hang with friends. I know it's not going to last forever, but I know for now I'm not going to out grow these cons. We all have a great time, and age in my opinion shouldn't prevent us from getting to spend time with the people we are friends with.

Overall, this year was definitely amazing for me, and I can't wait for AB 2015.
Aww that kind of sucks that your friend posted that. I feel like his comment is belittling something you enjoy. Say if it were something different that you had a passion for, like for example, professional Yo-Yoing. You had a vast collection of yo-yo's and you went to competitions and conference's and applying that comment....
You like what you like! Some times you love it and some times you hate it. But at the end of the day you were happy you did it, right?
It's hard to look so far into the future, especially if people's taste's change.
I mean I won't be giving up on Anime Boston anytime soon......as long as there is great animes & video games that keep being produced I'll keep going.

thanks for your response!

@at all: These are all awesome response's! It puts my point of view in different ways :)
Let destiny decide.
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

I'm 24 and starting to feel like I may be outgrowing conventions, but because I'm too "mature" for them now. I know there are plenty of adults that still enjoy them. I just feel like now that I've moved out of my parents house and become a "real" adult I have different financial priorities, newer hobbies, and lower energy levels on the weekends. But I still enjoy presenting panels, performing in masquerades, and attending events like the formal ball and jazz lounge, so I may keep attending conventions, just maybe fewer conventions, and I may be a bit more conservative with my spending and energy usage.

I do think that as you get older, your con experience changes. Some of the novelty wears off, you get sick of doing the same things every year, you realize how much older you are than most attendees. most people also start getting more judgment from their peers, partners (or potential partners) and superiors at work than they might've experienced when they were in college. You just need to adapt and adjust your convention activities accordingly, but you don't need to stop going!
vulpixi_misa
Experienced Poster

Post by vulpixi_misa »

I totally understand the original poster's feelings. I turned 24 this year and I was pretty sure I hadn't outgrown anime conventions, but this year was one of my not so favorite con experiences. (Perhaps it might have had something to do with my attendance to two other cons prior Boston in the span on three weeks? ^^;) But this is my 3/4th(?) Boston and somehow I just wasn't as excited.

It was probably my own personal feelings since I missed the things I wanted to do (photoshoots that relocated without notice or just never happened) and I also didn't learn about the unofficial after party/dance thing until the next day. (Also the company I was with were not super excited and were antsy for most of the time too.) I really would have liked to make friends with more people (as I see some people sitting in the halls with board games) but I don't have the guts to join.

Is it me or do I take less photos with every passing con?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

I'm 26 and I've been attending Anime Boston since 2004. I can definitely say that I've felt the disenchantment of attending AB, as it's been the only con that I go to. I remember in 2011 after a particularly rough Anime Boston (didn't complete the intended cosplays so we were in plain clothes, didn't realize there was a ticketing system for the Masquerade so we missed out on that, wasn't able to go on Friday at all, spent way too much time in the hotel room), I was ready to swear it off for good.

But then my husband suggested that we start changing it up. Starting in 2012, I started competing in Hall Cosplay / Masquerade. Starting last year, my husband and I started applying to cosplay game events (Chess, Dating Games). Having judging/rehearsals/event prep takes up a bunch of the down time that was killing our buzz. This year we were struggling to find rest time, but it helped keep up the frenzied feel of the first few times that we went to this con.

After this year, we are super pumped and are going to apply to even more things next year. ^_^
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

I'm in my mid 40s, and didn't start going to AB until 2010 (when my older daughter's ride fell through) but every year I (and family) have gone, we have Always had a great time. :-D
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I am 45 years old, and this was my 12th year attending AB. I see you mentioned you didn't go to too many panels this year, and perhaps therein lies your feeling that you're too old at 23 to enjoy anime. Some of the panels prove to be not only interesting and informative, but fascinating, and some have OUTSTANDING people presenting. I do go to some of the fun things as well, but have expanded my knowledge and interest in SO many subjects thanks to the panels and the speakers. This is just a suggestion: a few days before the con, look over the schedule for the day, or days you plan to go, and make a list for yourself that are of interest to you. I know the schedule can change right up to the day of the con, but you might find a whole world of topics which awaken your interests in something new.

I do take breaks from panels as well to watch series/movies in the video rooms, too, as I always find many titles that pique my interest and want to see them.

I hope this induces you to go back again next year. The age of 23 is FAR too young to cut yourself off from these opportunities that AB provides. :D
NSilverwolf
AB Staff

Post by NSilverwolf »

My 2 cents, as I'll be 33 this summer and am onto my 12th year as a staffer. While I'll always consider this my home con, I've moved across the country but still make efforts to come back. Why? Because I get to hang out with some of the greatest people I've ever known, 99% of which I never would have gotten to know if it weren't for the convention. We're scattered across the country...and someday we'll figure out how to go on a vacation to hang out in place of throwing a party for ~25,000 people. We come back both because we love the challenge and really love to hang with each other. While my job at con is to help provide a seamless technical experience for everyone, that's not my real goal. I would love it if every attendee came away with the kinds of lifelong friendships that I treasure and the sense that they are not alone no matter what they are into.

Even if you don't choose to get into the staff or volunteer bend of a convention I believe it is part of our responsibility as a whole community to continue to introduce new people to this experience. And to help contribute to that experience, especially as you outgrow certain aspects of the show. Whether that be through creating and submitting a panel, contributing a skit, video, cosplay etc. we the community are what runs the convention.

Consider doing a masquerade skit, try out for one of the cosplay games. Volunteer for a little bit of time. You've got a great topic already if you wanted to do a panel (the changing face of con attendance as you grow up?) Or just invite some friends along and experience it through their eyes (it sounds like you got a great opportunity with a friend this year to experience it through fresh eyes).

The conclusion? Keep coming if it's fun for you. The second it feels like a chore, that's when I believe you should consider trying something new.
Nicole Acevedo
New England Anime Society Board of Directors 2012-2023
Live Video Productions Manager 2011-2022
Staff since 2004
LordSaturday

Post by LordSaturday »

This year was off for me too, and I'm 16 (3rd AB)! The highlight was being in cosplay chess, but it's starting to just get tiring (Not chess, but everything else). Part of it maybe having to bring my parents (living an hour away from Boston woo), or from cosplaying Zexion with my jacket of death by heat. I dunno, I plan to cosplay Grell next year so we shall see if it gets more interesting(?). I also was getting pretty annoyed at two friends who were tagging along so maybe that's why I feel disenchanted. I do plan to volunteer next year, and with a new cosplay AB should be fun next year!
Cosplays 2014-
Zexion - Kingdom Hearts
Also on team SITCAS as Zexy