Lessons Learned at AB 2013

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2013.
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Lessons Learned at AB 2013

Post by RayneDeanZ »

A friend and I were talking about things we learned from our experience at Anime Boston this year, so I wish to pose it to all the wonderful people of AB. What lessons did ya learn this year?

- If you're going with an obscure character, either wear a Cosplay that is an obvious Cosplay or grow a VERY thick skin. (Went as a Suport Reaper from The World Ends With You and I was told so many times that I wasn't in Cosplay)

- GUIDEBOOK IS YOUR CON SAVIOR!!! So many panels I found out about through it and so many changes that I could be up to speed on.

- The Masqueade has tickets. Three years at AB, and this is the first time I thought about going, but I didn't think about it till well after tickets were sold, so...

- Hugs can help lighten post-con depression.

- Do what YOU want, not just what you and your friends agree on.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Re: Lessons Learned at AB 2013

Post by kiarrens »

madman1502 wrote: - The Masqueade has tickets. Three years at AB, and this is the first time I thought about going, but I didn't think about it till well after tickets were sold, so...
Just to clarify, the tickets were free. :)

As to my own lessons learned...
Always try to get a handicapped bathroom stall while wearing a hoop skirt.
Having an assistant to help with staff duties when you are staffing two major events reduces stress by a substantial margin. (Love you Ficus.)
The South Garden is like a wind tunnel. Do not attempt to go out there when it is windy. Seriously.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

Kiarrens wrote: Just to clarify, the tickets were free. :)
I know. It was a figure of speech.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:

Anime Boston 2018:

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:

AB 2023:
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Kiarrens wrote:Always try to get a handicapped bathroom stall while wearing a hoop skirt.
I learned this at Quinni-Con :D I made a point to get the handicapped stalls this con, too
As for my lessons...

Bring more food than you think you'll go through. Sunday morning was stressful enough trying to get everything packed, but when there were three things of food left and my two roommates insisted on basically going "doo te doo te dooo" instead of deciding what to each, that doesn't help!!
Bobby pins are your best friend
If you have enough to spare, practice makeup beforehand. I'm still kicking myself over how my makeup looked on Friday... I got better at least!
When at photoshoots, don't be afraid to suggest things :D I had a blast suggesting various pictures!
Practice poses for pictures
Attempt to talk in-character; have a few quotes memorized
Be amazing
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

Hmm lessons I learned....

1. When bringing a dismembered body threw security/bag check make sure the drug/bomb sniffing dog doesn't eat the bone's out of the body. xD It's not a snack!

2. Don't over-load your day with to many events! Though very fun it is very stressful~

3. carry a small mirror and eye drops if you wear contacts

that's all I can think of for now! xD
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

...Uhh, that AnimeBoston is way better than this other con I used to religiously go to and now I don't know why I ever stopped going? :oops:
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

The #1 biggest thing I learned...was that when they say you can start showing up for an autograph session up to 30 minutes early, GET THERE 30 MINUTES EARLY.

I was unbelievably lucky to get Kari Wahlgren's autograph and I wasw one of the last people to get her autograph, even though I showed up 15 minutes early before the event started.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Song of a Phoenix
Expert Poster

Post by Song of a Phoenix »

*Never work any cosplay in the hotel room the night before or during the con. Even if you think it's only a little that can get done quickly, chances are something will go wrong, and it will not be fun. Just don't do it.

*On the plus side, it's totally okay to have an incomplete cosplay, because people will still recognize you and appreciate what work you've done so far!

* It's possible to walk around in black leather without getting negative attention from creepers. I felt really awkward dressed as Trish from Devil May Cry at first, but I started getting attention for cosplaying a cool character and not just because I was a girl in a leather corset, which gave me a bit of confidence!

2016:
Florina (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword), Jinx (LoL), Nora Valkyrie

2015:
Guy Cecil, Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones), Alice Elliot

2014:
Leila (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword), Guy Cecil, "Marth" (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

2013:
Flynn Scifo, Trish (Devil May Cry), Garry (Ib)

2012:
Shion (No. 6), Guy Cecil, Tabatha, Tsuzuki Asato

2011:
Guy Cecil, Tabatha (Tales of Symphonia), Tsuzuki Asato
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

Pay attention to the convention's social media accounts, because you never know what they're gonna change last minute and if you don't check the Twitter feed, you might miss important information.
Demagoguery
I'm new!

Post by Demagoguery »

Always double check that you've brought tables :P. I knew I should have asked, but I didn't and we had to make another trip.

The irony in this is that a week or so later I was working another convention and asked if we grabbed the table cloths only to be told that someone else brought them... Yea, no one brought them.
mistyhayes88
Expert Poster

Post by mistyhayes88 »

My lessons learned this year at AB:

1) Do not pay for any items and expect the merchant to actually have them delivered to your home.
This year was my first time trusting anyone when they said "You can commission one, and we can send it to you." 2 months out, and no contact from either of the two artist alley merchants that I bought product from to be shipped to me.
Speaking of that. I would love to get their contact information, as I was so wrapped up in "OH MY GAWD!! I just got engaged!" high spirits that I didn't notice that neither receipt had their emails/phone numbers on them. So, my fault really.
The really awesome and sweet ladies at the tumbler booth, the ones with the portal nightlights, mario coin box light, and sailor moon clock on display- I need their information. Also, the funny woman who was selling the echi fan art of panty and Stocking with the words "Oh, Look It's Panty and Stocking" blocking their unmentionables. I need her information too.

2) Keep the group fairly small. Too many people causes possible drama and too many chances to miss things because of "Help I am lost" texts and needing to help them find their way again.

3) Legal Sea Foods is an amazing place to eat! I was avoiding it for years, thinking it was just a pub in the mall. That place is amazing with an amazing staff. Though my opinion may be clouded due to all the endorphins I was swimming in at the time the meal was eaten. I got engaged there this year, one amazing part of an amazing weekend.

4) Regardless of drama, and unfulfilled product purchase agreements, Anime Boston 2013 was one of the most fun adventures of my life!!
KariKessler
Expert Poster

Post by KariKessler »

A very important bag was stolen from me. The bunghole now possesses 200$ and maybe even + since I don't remember the exact amount.

Lesson: Keep your bag with you AT ALL F*ing TIMES. People are so cruel. I thought someone would be nice enough and mature to at least give it to the lost and found.
Last edited by KariKessler on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Music~
[/b]
!~Anime~!

~!>Sleep<!~

~!>^Food^<!~

These are the ingredients chosen to create the perfect meds for sadness
[/color]
But Professor Kessler accidentally added a chemical ingredient

P~!O~!W~!
[/color] (explodes)
Reality ._. ......
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Don't let drama and b.s. ruin your con. Keep things simple. I only went this year to spend time with a friend of my fiancee's. He was a friend of hers from high school who she never sees anymore since he live in Colorado.
All would've been well and good if not for a certain someone in our group who whines and causes drama if she doesn't get her way.

Take away for next year: screw unreliable, drama causing morons and just stick to the people you can trust to just be chill and honest. Next year, my room is just me and my fiancee...how it should have been from the start.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
HelloGoodbye
Expert Poster

Post by HelloGoodbye »

I learned that cons are fun! I was soooo nervous the night before, since I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I had such an amazing time.
I also learned that people tend to be really nice at conventions (at least the people I met), so I don't have to be all shy. That is one thing I regret, though, was being shy even though they people I was talking to were very nice :oops:
Next year, now that I know the drill, and have met some really nice people, my goal is not to be shy and stuff, and actually approach people and talk to them! This year I only really started to loosen up and start conversations at the closing ceremony. Granted, I could only go on Sunday, so I think if I had been able to get all my nerves out earlier in the weekend I would have been chatting up a storm by then, so hopefully next year I can a) go for more than one day and b) stop being such a nervous nelly! :D
2013 was my first Anime Boston ever!! And it was awesome!
~Cosplay~
2013- Edward Elric (FMA)
2014- Edward Elric (FMA)Haru (Tsuritama)Tamaki Suoh (Ouran High School Host Club)
2015-Pre-RegTamaki Suoh (Ouran High School Host Club)FriRin (Blue Exorcist) SatHaru (Tsuritama) SunArmin (Attack on Titan)
Juice
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Juice »

- ignore the one rude person who tried bringing you down, and only listen to the tons of other positive ones because they're all that matters and it's useless to get stressed out over someone being a dick

- bring glasses. This sounds so obvious but for the whole three days I refused to even though I was carrying a large bag and clearly had enough space

- take more pictures. This was the only year I didn't take a lot pictures because I brought an iPad mini with me...while the photo quality is GREAT most of the time I was too lazy to take it out.

- learn how to pose??? People asked me for pictures but I hate taking pictures of myself at all, so I kinda just stood there like an idiot...they didn't seem to mind though haha. My cosplay was average and actually a lot of people didnt know who I was until I spoke/quoted the character and only took pictures for tha booty so I guess it didn't matter.

- bring a notebook and pen (or I could have just used my iPad, god I'm stupid) to get people's Facebook/Skype/email/etc. because I met so many great people and only exchanged phone numbers, and god forbid if I pickup my phone within five months.

- get a hotel or go with people who stay up late...because literally I can run my body for hours on end and it's a little disappointing if you wanted to stay late but somebody wants to go home. And like you can't just say "no lets stay" but still ^^; I love my friend I just was disappointed by how early we left.

Overall the lessons I learned this year weren't really a big deal at all!!! Since I was still in that weeaboo and emo phase the first two years, I was still figuring myself out and kept to myself at the con. The last year I was getting better but still learned quite a bit, this year by far was my best :)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

This year was a different experience for the simple fact that I went with someone. As a plus, she seemed to enjoy Toradora since she ended up purchasing the first volume of it.

Anyway, here is what I learned:

- Check your pockets before leaving your house. I didn't notice that I had a mini screwdriver, screwdriver, and wrench in my pocket due to work until I got into the security line. Lucky for me, the security guard was understandable. Also, as a plus, my friend from high school was one of the managers on duty for the security and I was able to get them back (although it seems they did use some of them during the day.)

- Remember, Friday isn't as busy as Saturday. I explained to my friend that it was busy but when we got there, it wasn't too busy. This was Friday.

- Make sure you have the entire weekend off. Since it was Memorial Day weekend, I was busy at work setting up a location to open the same weekend (hence why I had the tools on me). I also had a project that was due on Saturday for a friend. These two things left me completely tired to the point where I could not attend most of Saturday.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
WaifuConnoisseur
Experienced Poster

Post by WaifuConnoisseur »

- Food. Food is a good thing. You need food. Eat the food. No stupid, don't say, "Naw, it's cool. I'll eat later. I'm sure that'll work." It won't.

- Good camera. Cosplay is gorgeous, and you must capture it's full glory with 1080p.

- Hand sanitizer. You know you can't resist those escalator high fives, and immediately after you will need to scratch your nose. You will get sick.

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. That is all.
2012: Just regular weeb attire
2013: Link (LoZ)
2014: Link v2.0 (LoZ) - Princess Luna (MLP)
2015: Matoi Ryuko (Kill la Kill)
2016: Aurora (Child of Light)
2017: Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles)
2018: DIO (JJBA)
2019: DIO 2.0 (JJBA) - DND stuff
WaifuConnoisseur
Experienced Poster

- Food. Food is a good thing. You need food. Eat the food. No stupid, don't say, "Naw, it's cool. I'll eat later. I'm sure that'll work." It won't.

- Good camera. Cosplay is gorgeous, and you must capture it's full glory with 1080p.

- Hand sanitizer. You know you can't resist those escalator high fives, and immediately after you will need to scratch your nose. You will get sick.

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. That is all.
LittleShadowPC
Determined Poster

Post by LittleShadowPC »

In my five years, going on six years, of attending, I've learned quite a few things!

-Always bring your own food if you can! Whether it be meal food or snack food. It will save you from a rather large hole in your wallet that you may have wanted to use on other things!

-Wear your cosplay with confidence! No matter if you cosplay a major character or a minor one, wear your costume with confidence knowing that you have such a love for that character that you went threw the time and money to bring it to live! Don't let someone bring you down and don't be put down that someone may have not recognized you!

-Make sure your schedule is pre-planned and is ready for any changes that could occur! Keep yourself aware of the announcements made by the convention and make sure you check your schedule just in case something hasn't changed!

-If you feel sleepy, take a nap! Don't run yourself down or you'll be super cranky, and that's no fun!

-And finally, don't over spend on stuff you may not need! I learned that the hard way! Try not to shop until the last day of you are at the convention so you can give yourself some time to look around at everything and see the stuff you truly want!

I hope this is helpful!! (:
AB '09
AB '10
AB '11
AB '12
AB '13
AB '14

Anime Boston 2015; Get Ready to Battle!

Cosplay Plans~*
Wadanohara- Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (100%)
Toph- Avatar: The Last Airbender (100%)

(*ノ∀`*)
WaifuConnoisseur
Experienced Poster

[:
Last edited by WaifuConnoisseur on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
shamwow
I'm new!

Post by shamwow »

Since AB was my first con ever I had a lot to learn and figure out, and a lot of the lessons i learned there was about lines for panels and events.

+ when leaving a panel and conveniently the next panel you were planning to go to is in the same room as the one you left, don't sit down next to the room entrance and bolt in once it opens for seating, because little did me and my friends know, a very long line was waiting to get into the next panel and we had accidentally, unknowingly skipped the entire line because we thought waiting next to the door was okay. (if anyone's curious, the panels mentioned in this lesson are the apples to apples to more apples panel, and the cosplay family feud panel if any of you were there! If you were, I was on team Bane :>)

+ when going to a popular event like the Cosplay Chess Match (the one i went to), GET THERE VERY VERY EARLY. It took me and my friends 2 or 3 minutes to find the very end of the line into the chess match, and we ended up in seats near the very back of the auditorium.

+ Work on time management. A lot of the panels my friends and I wanted to go to we missed because we lost track of time or we didn't think of how far away we were from the panel and how long it would take us to reach it in time. This year my group of friends going to AB will be much bigger than last year so meeting up with them and deciding on panels to go to that we all agree on will be twice as difficult, so I hop everything works out good enough!
AngelBeats-nyan
Expert Poster

Post by AngelBeats-nyan »

Don't carry a million things, especially if you don't have a bag xD
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

I'm sure it's been said, but
bring Your Own Food, sleep when you're tired, and the convention guide is your best friend.
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

One more lesson, kinda for both 2013 and 2014: If you buy a wig for next year, don't let it sit there forgotten till a month before con. This happened to my friend and he may not actually be using said wig for his original Cosplay idea.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:

Anime Boston 2018:

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:

AB 2023: