Chess emergency response

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2013.
Shady Lane Cosplay
Expert Poster

Chess emergency response

Post by Shady Lane Cosplay »

Just wanted to say, I thought the response to the medical emergency was prompt and handled well. No one ever anticipates these things, much less at main events, but I just wanted to say I was impressed with how it went.

Hope the person feels better!
ClockworkCat
Experienced Poster

Re: Chess emergency response

Post by ClockworkCat »

They said she was going to be okay, and I'm glad. It was really worrisome. Unfortunately I didn't know what was going on at first due to being so far back, so it took me a few seconds to actually realize what was going on. Poor girl. I thought that eveeyeone's reactions (namely the people on stage) was handled nicely and very well, though.
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

I was so INCREDIBLY impressed with how everyone went over this. I was in the room for maybe 10 minutes before this happened because I was looking for a friend. I nearly cried. But as I saw how everyone went about it so professionally and smoothly, I was thinking to myself "We really are Boston Strong." Things like that put faith back into the community.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Hi guys!

Saber here, AB Cosplay Chess coordinator. On behalf of all Cosplay Games staff, thank you for your kind words. Operation Hammond, the Hynes staff, and the AB security department all deserve your praise as well... they were amazingly quick in their response time and we appreciate their help so very much.
We actually gave the EMTs our yearly Cosplay Chess Champion trophy - while we may pretend to be heroes on stage, they're the real thing, and they do it all from behind the scenes most of the time.

I also want to thank YOU, the audience. You all remained calm and seated and allowed us to get to the injured party quickly and efficiently, and for that I am eternally grateful. Mia is absolutely correct - you all helped to prove that we are indeed Anime Boston Strong!

Thank you and I hope to see you all back at Cosplay Chess next year!
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

I don't mean to intrude, but may I ask what happened?
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

TheNerdyFeminist wrote:I don't mean to intrude, but may I ask what happened?
Someone near the front of the room (if not in the front; my mom said she was sitting a few seats away) had a seizure, which was promptly taken care of and we should all be proud and thankful (and of course we are :D)
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

I am so very thankful that they are okay!

Everyone in that room (performers, attendees, staff, EMTs, etc) did an AWESOME job!

Props to everyone else in the audience for letting the EMTs do their job. I was sitting in the back so I had no idea what happened, but I was ready to cry until I heard that they were going to be fine!

Glad they got the trophy. They deserve it!

And might I say, the Final Fantasy victory fanfare was perfect to play. Definitely a victory
Naokichan
Veteran Poster

Post by Naokichan »

I will say I am very impressed and proud of the EMTs when this occurred. I knew something was wrong when I saw the girl she was with run out of the room to get the EMTs. As soon as they announced they needed one, my mind went blank. I didn't think of "of oh this is putting us behind schedule". No. All I could think of was "I hope that girls alright. I'm thankful the EMTs got there quickly and I'm thankful as well that everyone remained seated and calm as they did their work."

If the girl who was taken out reads this, I'm glad to hear you're alright.

The only thing that got me a little angry was the comment that was thrown out, though quiet, by people behind me a few rows back when they said "Ash must've given Link a piece of HER heart, lol." Seriously...no. You don't say that in that situation.
Anime Boston 2016 Cosplays:
Sadness from Inside Out
Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Modern England from Hetalia

Anime Boston 2017 Cosplays:
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Mei from Overwatch
Pyrrha Nikos school outfit from RWBY
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Naokichan wrote:The only thing that got me a little angry was the comment that was thrown out, though quiet, by people behind me a few rows back when they said "Ash must've given Link a piece of HER heart, lol." Seriously...no. You don't say that in that situation.
I can't believe someone would say something like that.. that's just.. *mindblown*.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
ClockworkCat
Experienced Poster

Post by ClockworkCat »

Naokichan wrote:I will say I am very impressed and proud of the EMTs when this occurred. I knew something was wrong when I saw the girl she was with run out of the room to get the EMTs. As soon as they announced they needed one, my mind went blank. I didn't think of "of oh this is putting us behind schedule". No. All I could think of was "I hope that girls alright. I'm thankful the EMTs got there quickly and I'm thankful as well that everyone remained seated and calm as they did their work."

If the girl who was taken out reads this, I'm glad to hear you're alright.

The only thing that got me a little angry was the comment that was thrown out, though quiet, by people behind me a few rows back when they said "Ash must've given Link a piece of HER heart, lol." Seriously...no. You don't say that in that situation.
Yeah, I agree. The applauding was amazing and totally necessary! I was scared at first that everyone would get up in their seats and be all over the place making everything worse, but nope. Everyone was collected and respectful to the woman on stages' instructions and I have a feeling everyone was relieved. Slightly off topic but I looked around me and I saw a couple clutching onto eachother in anticipation; you could tell everyone was really, genuinely concerned and I don't think anybody cared about the schedule at all. It was really heartwarming and everyone was very relieved when the news was announced. :,)

As for the comment thing, while I also agree that it's a little rude, the person probably/hopefully didn't mean it as such. Maybe they just didn't think and said the first thing that popped into their head, or were trying to lighten the situation. I didn't hear it because we were probably rows and rows apart, but I've been in that situation before, where I blurt out things that I really don't mean. I'm not justifying what they said, just saying they hopefully didn't mean it an offensive way.
TinkaB
Expert Poster

Post by TinkaB »

I was so impressed by the medical team and the audience! there was barely any talking during the entire time the emergency was happening. It made my proud to be a nerd.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

I've been told that there was an older attendee (a woman) who was helping to clear out the nearby chairs and being generally awesome down in the first/second row. If anyone knows who it was, please help me get in contact with her? I would like to thank her as well. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Sunset Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Sunset Hero »

I was seated in the front row, one chair over and directly in front of her. I stood right up, moved my seat away, followed every instruction to move back and... I got to see everything... I saw her sister run across the room to her side... I saw the tears in her eyes... I heard her talking to a host about how she took her sister from Florida to see Anime Boston and how much fun it was... It was the heart breaking thing I have ever seen in my life.

I also got to see the entire room filled with over a thousand people with the same reaction as mine. For the time, the entire world stopped spinning.

Many words have been said to the emergency workers, and I don't think there will ever be enough. But to whatever it means, thank you. Thank you for taking expert care of this woman. Thank you for the lightning fast deployment speed. Thank you for the professionalism. Just... Thank you so much.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Kiarrens wrote:I've been told that there was an older attendee (a woman) who was helping to clear out the nearby chairs and being generally awesome down in the first/second row. If anyone knows who it was, please help me get in contact with her? I would like to thank her as well. :)
That may have been my mother. She told me she was sitting in the second row, and was one of the first people to tell staffers to call the EMTs.
If said older woman was, ahem... a heavyset woman, I'm 95% certain that attendee was my mother, and I'll be happy to send her your thanks!

Edit: Kirarrens, that was my mom, and she's flattered you took the time to post about thanking her! She was doing her job as a parent, even if it wasn't her child that needed help :P
Last edited by RapaxGuardian on Mon May 27, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
ZelosWilder
Experienced Poster

Post by ZelosWilder »

I wasn't there for it, but from reading through this thread, I have to praise all those involved as well. Great job keeping people safe!
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I had seen an EMT in the Hynes when I was heading to a panel. I am guessing he must've been heading to where the emergency was, I saw him talking on a walkie-talkie. I am happy to hear the girl will be alright, and, after reading everything in this thread, high kudos to everyone who helped to make sure all would go as smoothly as possible in such an urgent situation.