Reasonable time for commissioned art to arrive?

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2006.
Catboy
Experienced Poster

Post by Catboy »

Hi;
I commissioned art on Saturday, March 27th which, understandably, didn't get finished that day. I gave the person my address, and waited a few weeks for her to draw it, but alas, no phone call or picture has arrived. I'm posting this for two reasons:
1: To hopefully contact the artist
2: To know if I posted this too early
(For verification, it was a pic of Ritsuka and Zidane. Please, if you're on this forum, tell me when it'll get here.)
Catboy
Experienced Poster

Post by Catboy »

Well, it's been over a month now, so I'm just gonna assume I was scammed. >_>
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

Well, do you have the artist's contact info? Things happen. Maybe they sent your commission and it got lost in the mail.

I would suggest trying to contact your artist before you assume anything.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
themadteaparty
I'm new!

Post by themadteaparty »

I agree with Miyu here -- it's not exactly fair for the artist if you jump right to conclusions before attempting to contact him/her. Also, just because it's been a month doesn't necessarily mean that you've been scammed. I have a friend who didn't receive her commission until more than half a year later--while that's extremely unprofessional, I wouldn't necessarily call that 'scammed.' =A= I'd say that two months should be more than enough. Plus, you have to consider that the artist might still have (or had) school, etc. to worry about.

However, I'm assuming from your post that you don't actually have their contact info...? If's generally the artist's obligation to provide their contact info to all of their customers, but obviously I don't know all the details here.
Seizetsu
Obsessed Poster

Post by Seizetsu »

The time it should take for you to get the commission would also depend on what medium the picture was to be done in, and how big. A painting could easily take half a year for an unprofessional artist. And yet a 8.5 x 11 sketch should be done in a 2 weeks at the VERY most.

Now mailing is another story. They may not have a good way to ship the thing (they do but don't know it perhaps) In otherwords, they don't have a mailing tube or big enough padded envelope and don't want the picture to get ruined in the mail. So this may delay them in sending the commission.

And then there's the unfortunate possibility that they could have written down the wrong address or someone stole it at the post office!!

Anyway, in the future, NEVER commission someone if you don't have at least their first name, and an e-mail address. Even then, someone could scam you. But the more information you have, the better your chances are for recieving the work you ordered.
Catboy
Experienced Poster

Post by Catboy »

I think it's okay to label the person as a scammer now. >_> She had contact information for me (cell phone number and address) and it's been quite some time since the con now. *sigh* It was only a two-character sketch on a normal, plain white sheet of paper that had small progress on it at the end of the con.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

I am going to say this again, because I think it's important, and you seem to be missing it: Try to contact the artist before you drag their reputation through the dirt. You aren't doing much damage, as you fail to mention the artist's name or studio, but still. Here is a list of all the artists in the alley; most of them have contact info. http://www.animeboston.com/events/artis ... /map.shtml
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Catboy]I think it's okay to label the person as a scammer now. >_> She had contact information for me (cell phone number and address) and it's been quite some time since the con now.[/quote]

You know, it's entirely possible that your contact information was lost. ...or, more likely, the artist could not actually read your contact info.

Believe me, after reading a ton of pre-registration forms in previous years and entering those into the database, I can assure you that a lot of people who think they have neat handwriting do not. h and n look a lot alike, n and r, 5 and s, l and 1 and I and 7, 0 and O, b and D and p, some people's a looks like o, _ and -, ...and the list goes on. An incredible number of registration confirmation e-mails bounced because we could not figure out the correct e-mail addresses for those people.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Kitsoru
Veteran Poster

Post by Kitsoru »

my bf commissioned some art from an artist also, and he never got it...
I think he lost the contact info...