Cosplayer's Invade Boston Vol.6 (Pedestrian Reactions)

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2012.
EatTheKids
Experienced Poster

Cosplayer's Invade Boston Vol.6 (Pedestrian Reactions)

Post by EatTheKids »

Another year, another round of amusing recollections

So some of you may have noticed me standing around the hallway with big glass windows from 8:30-10 PM on Friday and Saturday. I was doing that partially because I was tired from walking around for hours on end and wanted to stand still for a while (and maaaaaybe get some more photos snapped of me before i had to leave for bed rest), but also for want of observing the reactions of normal people to the sight of a SWAT-looking character standing in the middle of their normal scenery. This year I improved my ability to communicate with my voice amp by a large margin, and took advantage of it to get some amusing reactions from those same people. The sheer amounts of double takes and awkward waves when I spoke a one or two word greeting followed by a "have a wonderful evening" was nigh glorious haha! It was also thanks to this that I discovered the fact that children love my costume. I had at least 7 separate requests from non-con going families for pictures with their kids. It was nice to know they liked my costume and really did make my day 20 percent cooler.

Any one else got a story to share? Come on guys there were only 15 or so responses for this last year and I really enjoy reading these. :)
AB'06-07~Attendee
AB'08-10~Merchant (RE4)
AB'11~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'12~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'13~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
Shining Armor{Modern Interpretation} (MLP)
80's Hong Kong Movie Detective
Arakni666
Experienced Poster

Re: Cosplayer's Invade Boston Vol.6 (Pedestrian Reactions)

Post by Arakni666 »

The guys running the duck boats nearby on Saturday recognized me and my partner, dressed as Link and Zelda respectively! They called out to us as we walked by.

Other amusing reactions included two women in the hotel elevator asking us if we were Robin Hood and Maid Marian, and an older foreign man gesturing to me and talking about Peter Pan in some language I don't know.
Liberator
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Liberator »

Pretty funny experiences on the T, though there was never any confrontation. We'd just be sitting there in our 'Nam gear like it was no big deal and people would either:

A. Glance over uneasily.
B. Complimented or just started a conversation.

And of course, everything in between.
Anime Boston Cosplays
'04-'07 (???) Kankuro (for a few years anyways can't remember exactly).
'08 I honestly don't remember.
'09 ^ Same here.
'10 Soviet (Walked around with a big flag).
'11 Beggar (Legend of Zelda).
'12 VIETNAM BABY!
'13 Planning: Last Exile Cosplay
ruzsha

Post by ruzsha »

The best reaction I got was from a group of little kids in the prudential mall. I was walking into starbucks in my celebi cosplay and a little girl about 4 called out to me further down the hall saying "I like your costume!" she and her siblings/friends ran up to the Starbucks and proceeded to ask me all sorts of questions like "what's your costume?" and "how'd you get you costume?" after telling them I was a pokemon they all looked at me puzzled since they were all too young to know about pokemon their mother then told them they had to go. But I then saw the same kids later near the hynes entrance staring in awe of all the cosplayers. It was adorable and touching. I hope the moment sparked something in those kids to become the future generation of anime fans.
Lolita on Friday
Shana on Saturday
Celebi
Caesar
Expert Poster

Post by Caesar »

some really nice old ladies and men loved my Caesar costume, and they asked me questions about the con and seemed generally happy about it all. I also had one lady with a southern accent on business ask me what was going on. I'm guessing I was the only one in the room that she recognized, (one of the few benefits of a non anime specific cosplay) and I sort of acted as a part time ambassador for the con to the uninitiated.

I got a couple of weird looks but I just thought to myself, "don't you wish you looked this good in a cape" also a few people stepped on it which really irritated me, moreso when it was actually in the con. You'd think fellow cosplayers would understand how annoying it is to have to trim a cape down because people keep staining it beyond repair. Halfway through I started tying it lower and to the side, which helped keep it well enough off the ground.

Oh and on the first night a group of really cute girls in dresses asked for a group picture with me, which of course I accepted, and the same thing happened Saturday night with one girl who made her boyfriend ask me. She also did some rather suggestive things with my sword, yeah they would have gotten along fine had they gone to the con themselves, then again that was also when the bars let out and I seriously doubt they were sober at the time.
"Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of kings." Horace
Ex-Shark-Virtue-005

Post by Ex-Shark-Virtue-005 »

I had a conductor on the T and one of the hotel workers ask me: "You're not going to attack me with your scythe are you?" And my answer was: "You don't have to worry, I only attack witches and humans who have become Kishin. In other words, I only attack the bad guys." And I also had a couple of little go: "That's so cool!" As I passed them.
Tieria Erde (first season) '09 and '10
Tieria Erde (second season) '11
Maka Albarn '12
Halloween Kitsune
Expert Poster

Post by Halloween Kitsune »

On the T...had a pair of older ladies looking over their shoulders at us, whispering. It wasn't until 3 stops from the Hynes that someone actually...ASKED. You could see the look on everyone's faces..that silent "thank you". You could tell they wanted to ask but were too afraid to. And then people who would smirk to themselves after looking at us.
Had a little kid on Saturday morning, walking to the T, tell his mother that he liked the super heroes (would you call Chell and Gordon Freeman superheros?). And then in the Pru, walking to the food court, a little girl behind us asked her mother why we all thought it was Halloween...and did we know that it wasn't Halloween. Her mother then asked us what was going on. I don't know how she explained that one to her daughter...or if she ever did.
Then there was the usual non-con goers, asking us what was going on. They were pretty nice about it and about half of them nodded and then just kept going. Some were curious but didn't seem like they knew what to ask.
The final thing (does this even count?) my boyfriend works at the Pru so he had people he knew (including coworkers) taking pictures of us while we walked past their shops. One of his coworkers came in on her day off to see us...and outright told us before hand...that she hoped our costumes were awesome because she hadn't been impressed with what she'd seen so far.
2020: Bowsette/Senko-san
2019: Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya
2018: Lady Sephiroth
2017: Smash Brothers Brawl Dark Zelda

Past Cosplays:
2016: LoL Ahri
2015: FF14 Miqo'te Bard
2014: Twilight Princess Link
2013: Chell (Portal 2)/Kat (DMC)
2012: Chell (Portal 2)
2011: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara)/ Black Rock Shooter
2010: Cloud (Advent Children)
2009: KH2 Roxas

Owner and master of Fox and Bear Cosplay:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FoxandBearCosplay
TheBorgiasDevil
Experienced Poster

Post by TheBorgiasDevil »

I was dressed as an original character with my girlfriend (we were the archer and thief) and we walked past a pair of old men when one of them shouted "Hey Robin Hood! You can rob my hood any day!" My girlfriend turned around and saw them giggling. The two of them seemed to be having a lot of fun with seeing everyone in costume, so I didn't mind much. XD

I didn't see too many confused pedestrians, other than the ones who just stared. There were quite a few moments where I'd be in the elevator and there would be one person asking what was going on and another pedestrian would explain it.
SavannahFaith

Post by SavannahFaith »

I was Hello Kitty on Friday, and as we checked into the hotel a little boy was being carried by his father and called out, "KITTY!"

Made my heart melt. I loved it.
VanceVanhite

Post by VanceVanhite »

You get some interesting looks when you wear a red pleather jacket with tiger stripes on the back, as well as a bright pink shirt with an anime girl on it (Thanks, Travis Touchdown cosplay).

My favorite reaction was when a carbon copy of the Sniper from Team Fortress 2, complete with accent, hat, and all, came up to me and asked, "What's up with all these people in costumes?"

Really threw me off because he was basically cosplaying as Sniper, but I know he was being serious xD I told him it was a convention and he said "Guess I'll buy that...", then walked off.

Another was when I overheard someone say (kind of like Hank Hill now that I think of it), "What's up with all of these kids in their...annie-may outfits here?"
If I could rate AB 2012 on a scale from 1-10, it'd be "Pretty Awesome".
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Good reactions for my group this year! On Friday when I was cosplaying Belarus, a young guy in the mall said I looked very pretty, which totally through me off, but it was very nice. And several people asked what the event was. Then on Sunday I was dressed as fem!Canada, and my group was waiting in the mall until the train came, and I guy with his kids saw me with my polar bear on my head. He asked if his kids could take pictures with me. His son was a little scared, but couldn't stop staring at me. It was sooooo cute.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
mop
Veteran Poster

Post by mop »

Oh god.

I was Katsura and my husband was Elizabeth. We were trying to find a whiteboard marker at a store so we wouldn't have to go back to our room to get ours, so we went into Barnes and Noble to try to find one. Most of the people were trying to pretend we didn't exist, or they just giggled a little bit as we walked by, but one of the employees just gawked at us until I approached him and asked him about the whiteboard markers.

For the most part, we had a mixed set of reactions. Kids were generally either "oh look a cute duck" or "mommy that thing is freaky".
"one by one, we are together, we fall together."

✧·˚. 2019:
Eiki Shiki (Touhou Project)
Katsura Kotarou (Gintama)
White Mage (Final Fantasy)

✧·˚. 2018:
Juvia Lockser (Fairy Tail)
Komachi Onozuka (Touhou Project)
ChibiKoun
Veteran Poster

Post by ChibiKoun »

A lady on the T tried to take a stealth photo of me, but I saw her and posed. I waved at her but she didn't wave back. On Sunday while I was walking to the station I passed a couple of Japanese tourists who went "It's Oscar!" It was adorable.
2014 Cosplay!

1. Empress Elisabeth from エリザベート ~愛と死の輪舞
2. Super Sailor Neptune from Sailor Moon
3.Lady Oscar François de Jarjayes from The Rose of Versailles
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Not so much a story as an observation...

As I wandered the halls of the mall, I heard more than one person say things like:

"Oh, it must be that time of year again." (in tones from vaguely curious to sarcastic)
"Looks like Anime Boston's back in town." (see above)
"Honey, what's going on?" (again, see above)
"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! :D" Or, alternately, "Mommy...:shock:"

All kidding aside, it looks like after eight years at the Hynes, regulars to the Pru mall are almost expecting us come spring... :?
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Post by bookishfreak »

My friend who was wearing a beautiful kimono and I were walking through the mall and a little boy goes "Mommy!! I see a princess!" It was SO cute!!
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

Post by AnimeAnthropologist »

On Saturday morning, I'd riding the elevator down from the South Tower and there are three tourists from Ireland standing there with their luggage. On of them sees my badge name and asks why it says "The Doctor." her daughter replies "What, not Doctor Who?" and her grandson starts jumping up an down, freaking out that I'm cosplaying The Doctor. Next thing I know, they're posing for pictures with me.

Third time that has happened to me at AB. Once a year, I always manage to find the UK tourist/Whoovians while wandering the hotel or Newbury St.
Http://www.studyofanime.com Charles Dunbar: Symbolic Anthropologist and Fandom Scholar
ashanyao
Veteran Poster

Post by ashanyao »

i got some good reactions this year! a lot of people wanted to know if my wig was my real hair and/or how i kept my wig so good looking. more importantly, when i was casual!azunyan and wore my cat ears, this little girl was over her mom's shoulder and said: "look mom! a kitty!" that was adorable. otherwise, people didn't seem too bothered by me.. they just seemed to appreciate the weird. ;)
✧・゚:* AB 2024 *:・゚✧
Friday AM ⋆ Sailor Mars
Friday PM ⋆ Princess / Prom Flayn
Saturday ⋆ Timeskip Lysithea (masquerade) - FE3H
Sunday ⋆ Abigail - Stardew Valley

✧・゚:* SOCIALS *:・゚✧
https://www.instagram.com/ashanyao/
https://www.facebook.com/ashanyaocosplay/
https://twitter.com/ashanyao
NekoRyuzaki
Experienced Poster

Post by NekoRyuzaki »

ashanyao wrote:i got some good reactions this year! a lot of people wanted to know if my wig was my real hair and/or how i kept my wig so good looking. more importantly, when i was casual!azunyan and wore my cat ears, this little girl was over her mom's shoulder and said: "look mom! a kitty!" that was adorable. otherwise, people didn't seem too bothered by me.. they just seemed to appreciate the weird. ;)
Same thing happened to me. I let a little girl pull at my ears and tail it was so adorable!! Also a little kid was shouting for candy and his mom couldnt pay for it so I gave him some lollipops ^_^
AB10:L
AB11:L
AB12: Neko L
AB13: Hope or L

http://kaiizukiaob.deviantart.com/
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

I was in the marriot waiting in the lobby to check in on thursday with my friends (all of which had large props and wigs with their luggage) and this country woman probably in her 30's-40's comes up to me. I was wearing a green lolita type dress and probably looked the strangest out of all of people in my group....but she came right up to me.
She says-"Excuse me, what is going on here? everyone is all dressed up. I'm not from around here, I'm visiting here for a teachers conference."
I say- "its the anime convention this weekend" then added because i knew she wouldn't know what anime was "you know like japanese animation pokemon & sailor moon"
She says- "Oh ok. so what do you do?"
-Im thinking to myself....oh boy here we go-
I say- "well we have special japanese guests, voice actors, panels, anime previews, a dance all kinds of things"
She then says I kid you not.- "I'm just happy you all can read and write" *walks off*

SO what did I discover here.....that I should be glad I can read and write?............. :?
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
MiNTY

Post by MiNTY »

On Friday there were some people across from us on the subway not-so-subtly filming/taking pictures of us on their cell phones and calling us "very weird" in Mandarin (assuming that we didn't speak Chinese). I really wanted to say something because I find it very rude to take pictures without permission in most situations, not to mention the fact that they were basically insulting us and assuming we wouldn't understand (I mean we're all pretty weird but come on do you have to say that when you're four feet away from us), but unfortunately I don't speak Mandarin very fluently and was afraid they'd start talking to me really fast and I'd just embarrass myself >.>

On the plus side, a bunch of young girls outside of the convention adored my costume on Saturday (Pinkie Pie), and a few even convinced (or forced in a couple cases) their moms to let them get their picture taken with me :) It was really cute.
AB 2012:
Friday: SeeU
Saturday: Pinkie Pie/Lolita

AB 2013:
Friday: Princess Celestia, Schrodinger
Saturday: Schrodinger, Kyubey and/or Murdershy
Sunday: Maid group
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

Waiting to go to the Cheesecake Factory, I was talking to someone in a Naruto cosplay and this lady comes up to us really close and starts asking a barrage of questions. She first told us she was SURE that we were all there for a huge flash mob. We laughed and said definitely not, it's an anime convention. She seemed legitimately curious but I couldn't help but laugh because she asked what everyone unfamiliar does - "What do you do? So do you all have to dress up?".

I don't mind the curious people or the just plain weirded out ones, but I really dislike the ones who insult. I didn't cosplay this year and I look pretty "normal" (a congoer called me a normie in the elevator...I got sad, lol) so I have gotten people making comments to me, like "What's with all the freaks around here?" and just plain rude people.

There was also a booth in the dealers room that was loudly insulting the patrons, which I disliked. They were saying things like "If they want to dress up and look like morons that's their business, and what's with all these crossdressing freaks?" and stuff :\
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
ladyazeria
I'm new!

Post by ladyazeria »

I live near enough the con that I take the subway home. The cloak I wore as part of my cosplay is borrowed from someone slightly taller than me. I can only wear it with big puffy skirts so that it doesn't drag on the ground. I was able to wear it over my backpack while traveling home though, and the backpack lifted it enough off the ground to safely walk. Well, I'm pretty sure the pedestrians on the subway thought I had a hump on my back as some sort of birth defect, because they INSISTED on giving up their seat for me on a subway car that was not at all crowded. Awkward....
NekoRyuzaki
Experienced Poster

Post by NekoRyuzaki »

eidna wrote:Waiting to go to the Cheesecake Factory, I was talking to someone in a Naruto cosplay and this lady comes up to us really close and starts asking a barrage of questions. She first told us she was SURE that we were all there for a huge flash mob. We laughed and said definitely not, it's an anime convention. She seemed legitimately curious but I couldn't help but laugh because she asked what everyone unfamiliar does - "What do you do? So do you all have to dress up?".

I don't mind the curious people or the just plain weirded out ones, but I really dislike the ones who insult. I didn't cosplay this year and I look pretty "normal" (a congoer called me a normie in the elevator...I got sad, lol) so I have gotten people making comments to me, like "What's with all the freaks around here?" and just plain rude people.

There was also a booth in the dealers room that was loudly insulting the patrons, which I disliked. They were saying things like "If they want to dress up and look like morons that's their business, and what's with all these crossdressing freaks?" and stuff :\
That was the people judging thing....those people were jerks the insult my friend for wearing a FMA cloak...my friends plump...I guess but they called him diabetic ed...I was so pissed...
AB10:L
AB11:L
AB12: Neko L
AB13: Hope or L

http://kaiizukiaob.deviantart.com/
AshHollaaaaaa

Post by AshHollaaaaaa »

I was the machoke running around, basically the half naked blue guy. people in the mall and the food courts and streets loved my costume, which was surprising. old ladies especially, but what you gonna do. i got a lot of picture requests from starngers and i just posed for random people and they laughed or asked me questions. everyone was really nice to me, and people enjoyed it alot. i had a great time and i think the normal people reactions were just as good as the con goer reactions
nandeyan3n

Post by nandeyan3n »

Someone I know came to meet a group of us at the Prudential to take portraits of us in cosplay for some photography class.....so he was having us go into shops in our cosplays to pose and stuff. I was placed awkwardly in some fancy store, and as he was stealthily taking my picture from far away, the store attendant asked if my BRIGHT ORANGE wig was my real hair. (It wasn't a very good wig, either xD) It was cute.

Oh, and the look on the lady's face in the shoe store when the group of Silent Hill nurses (my friends) walked into their store and started browsing was PRICELESS.

My Cosplay.com Profile

AB 2010:
Bubblehead Nurse (Silent Hill)
Vivi (FFIX, Female version)
Shiki (TWEWY)

AB 2012
Matilda Ajan (Mobile Suit Gundam)
R. Dorothy Wayneright (The Big O)
Laughing Man (Ghost in the Shell)
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

I had a woman come up to me and my two friends in the food court while we had our kigurumis on and ask us if she could take a pic of us while we were eating. It was sort of... Odd. Hahahahaha.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I don't have any super awesome stories but during the Madoka photoshoot on Friday (we were in the Prudential mall) a middle-aged man walked by and when he saw us he just had the most hilarious facial expression--it was some mixture of bewilderment, disgust, and absolute horror. I was posing for a picture at the time but just burst out laughing because his expression was so funny.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
everywhereXOXnowhere
Expert Poster

Post by everywhereXOXnowhere »

I always love people watching in the mall! This year people were getting rude though. I've never seen so many people standing just far enough away that they think we can't see that they're taking a picture with their phone. Some people weren't embarrassed when I turned and smiled at the camera (hey, why not let them enjoy the work I put in?) but there was this one woman who was standing really close and aiming the camera directly at me, and when I looked at it she quickly put it down and looked away as if I DIDN'T just see her... I mean really?

My favorite though was this little girl with her father who were obviously foreign and on vacation (I can't find any other reason why the father would have a giant camera around his neck when he wasn't a part of the con) and asked for me to take a picture with the little girl. She wanted to take a picture with Pikachu! I was so touched and I gave her a big hug and saw them a few more times around the mall, and each time they thanked me for my time. I love moments like that :)
'08- Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura)
'09- Akita Neru (Vocaloid)
'10- Ahiru {duck form} (Princess Tutu)
'11- Hilda (Pokemon B/W)
'12- Pikachu (Pokemon)
BrookeAnn
Experienced Poster

Post by BrookeAnn »

We were staying at a nice hotel a bit from the Hynes, so our lobby-person was amazed when we checked in Friday night at 12:30 with unnatural wigs and dangerous-looking large weapons. Got some great looks.

My personal favorite was walking to the T from our hotel, when an old man literally hit the brakes in his car to watch us walk by. I waved at him, and he waved back. It was wonderful!!!!!

Worst was probably Saturday ni- er, Sunday morning. It was Late, coming home from the dance, and we had just gotten out of our taxi. We were still in cosplay. Some guys catcalled from across the street, and said rude things. I wonder what it's like to be so ignorant and rude all the time :P

But honestly, I love the attention and the amazed reaction from normal people. Not even Boston can handle the power of the con!
Excitement so thick, if I had a spoon I could not help but cut it.
AK

Post by AK »

Going into Starbucks to get a coffee, no comment on the costume, then I get my drink and I see "Snake" written on the cup :mrgreen:
Bowler4Ever
Veteran Poster

Post by Bowler4Ever »

I was on the Lowell Commuter Rail line coming in from Wilmington when the operator asked me and a few others what was going on and why we were dressed awkwardly. 20 minutes later, we're in North Station, she still had no idea what we were talking about!
AB 2012 cosplays: Switch (SKET Dance), Uchiha Sasuke (Chuunin Exams) (Naruto)
AB 2013 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke, Taka (Naruto Shippuden)
AB 2014 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke (Taka, Akatsuki, Hokage [Yes, Hokage, dammit! >_< xD])
My YouTube Channel!
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

here's an icky story:

I was walking through the Sheraton lobby to get to meet some friends, and I was still in my abomination of a Navi cosplay, tutu and all because I had nothing to change into, and some grown man (no con badge on the guy) tells me to do a plie for him. I ignore him. He keeps harassing me to do a plie, and I say no because I'm not in the mood to be some creep's performing monkey. He keeps at it, and I finally yelled at him to go f*** himself, which prompts the people around me to shame me for yelling at him, rather than shame him for harassing me. not cool.
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

Post by AnimeAnthropologist »

dstnyskr wrote: She then says I kid you not.- "I'm just happy you all can read and write" *walks off*

SO what did I discover here.....that I should be glad I can read and write?............. :?
Wow, I know who you're talking about too...made same remark to me. My kiss-off to that was "Not only can I read, I'm a college professor too!" Stopped em dead, with an utterly perturbed expression. Priceless.
Http://www.studyofanime.com Charles Dunbar: Symbolic Anthropologist and Fandom Scholar
Kyla_Ewens
Expert Poster

Post by Kyla_Ewens »

On the T in the morning, my group of 4 was sitting across from this one girl. We were all chatting and excited, and the girl was trying to hold back from laughing. Not mean teasing laughing, she looked like she wanted to join in and follow us to the con. :D She looked like she was getting a big kick out of it, and I hope we made her day a little brighter.
Kristi
Experienced Poster

Post by Kristi »

RebelArtemis wrote:here's an icky story:

I was walking through the Sheraton lobby to get to meet some friends, and I was still in my abomination of a Navi cosplay, tutu and all because I had nothing to change into, and some grown man (no con badge on the guy) tells me to do a plie for him. I ignore him. He keeps harassing me to do a plie, and I say no because I'm not in the mood to be some creep's performing monkey. He keeps at it, and I finally yelled at him to go f*** himself, which prompts the people around me to shame me for yelling at him, rather than shame him for harassing me. not cool.
heyyy other Navi :) (I was the one with the 'hey listen' sign on my head)

/feminizm mode I'm really sorry that happened to you - I really am. As a dancer myself I've experienced creeps before wanting me to ~*dance for them*~. Even just in general when guys on the street have made comments at me, it sucks that when women fight street harassment back that all of a sudden WE'RE the bad people. Your reaction was totally justified. I guess some people never learned how to take no for an answer.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

RebelArtemis wrote:here's an icky story:

*feminist rage activates*

(Sorry that happened to you. If I had come across that I would have defended you, I'm sensitive to that type of thing.)
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
VanceVanhite

Post by VanceVanhite »

dstnyskr wrote:I was in the marriot waiting in the lobby to check in on thursday with my friends (all of which had large props and wigs with their luggage) and this country woman probably in her 30's-40's comes up to me. I was wearing a green lolita type dress and probably looked the strangest out of all of people in my group....but she came right up to me.
She says-"Excuse me, what is going on here? everyone is all dressed up. I'm not from around here, I'm visiting here for a teachers conference."
I say- "its the anime convention this weekend" then added because i knew she wouldn't know what anime was "you know like japanese animation pokemon & sailor moon"
I say- "well we have special japanese guests, voice actors, panels, anime previews, a dance all kinds of things"
She then says I kid you not.- "I'm just happy you all can read and write" *walks off*

Maybe she heard "We're the Japanese guests- voice actors..." etc.
I don't know.
Usually "normal" people don't get it.
If I could rate AB 2012 on a scale from 1-10, it'd be "Pretty Awesome".
konoha123
Experienced Poster

Post by konoha123 »

My boyfriend was Darth Vader and I was Flora from Claymore, and we here walking from the Hilton back to the con, when this Asian couple and their two young children walked by. The mother gestured that she wanted a picture (I could tell her english was minimal) and we both agreed. But what we werent expecting was the father and two young kids to join us in the picture too. It was really cute and I felt like I was popular for a few minutes, so it was all fun and a good story to tell when I got home :D
Anime Boston 2013 Cosplays:
Friday: Sailor V- Sailor Moon
Saturday:Sailor Cosmos- Sailor Moon
KoalaKidd
Experienced Poster

Post by KoalaKidd »

This was my first AB, and I have to say, pedestrian reactions were some of my favorite experiences!

On Friday, I had to finish getting ready in the bathroom by the Starbucks of the Pru. A very nice young mother, who was possibly French, told me that my dress was beautiful, and then proceeded to tell her ~7 year old daughter that I was a princess. The daughter did not look impressed. In fact, she seemed rather perturbed.

Also on Friday, my friends and I were walking through the Pru when we hear in our wake the voice of a sassy black woman--"What the HELL is goin' on?!"

I can't remember what day, but while waiting for the elevator two very normal-looking, middle-aged women nicely asked to take my picture. Afterward, they told me that they were schoolteachers and were taking photos to show to their students. Pretty cool, if you ask me. ^^

On a less cute note... On Saturday I was walking to the dance in my dance-Beemo outfit, and I was stopped by a group of ~5 drunk bros to take a picture. One of them misread the lettering on my arm as "BWO." ... *le sigh*
AB 2014 Cosplay: Sailor Moon + Caitlyn--League o Legends + Vanellope von Schweetz--Wreck-It Ralph + others depending on packing space ^^;
No Items Ever
Expert Poster

Post by No Items Ever »

On Thursday I had walked over in cosplay to hang out with my friends while they pre-reg. Just as we pass by the elevators in the sheraton a little boy and his father come up to me and the dad starts talking to me. The boy kept looking at my costume and looked scared yet curious about it. So I leaned down to him and started asking him stuff about how he was, and if his day was going good. The boy asked "I like your costume. Who are you?" to which I just said "I'm Judas from Tales of Destiny 2" in a nice calm voice and he was just like "Whoah". The dad started laughing and asked his son if he wanted a pick of me with him which we got the picture taken of me and the dad thanked me for being a nice sport for him.

Felt kind of weird saying my characters name, but I'm glad the kid had a good time.
Nashida
Expert Poster

Post by Nashida »

I had quite a few non-cosplayers stop me and say they were considering Pokemon liberation when I strolled through the Pru. One even begged me not to make her release her Eevee, she'd had the thing since she was a baby and couldn't bear to part ways with it.

Saturday afternoon in the elevator there were 3 flight attendants in the elevator with us, and while I couldn't understand what they were saying (sounded Dutch) both my friend and I knew they were making fun of us. But then one of them walked smack into my friend's scythe while walking out. Karma.

Sunday was when the questions came out in droves. I'm taking the commuter rail back to Worcester and I feel something hitting my leg. It's a two year old girl batting my void cube like a kitty. Her parents kept telling her to stop, she's going to break it, blah blah blah, but I tell them it's okay, it's not going to break. Then they got curious, asked how I made it, did I make everything myself, why did I do it, and so on. Then a middle eastern family boarded the train later and their 6 year old girl pretty much hung out with me the whole ride, asking questions and chatting. My friend still teases me about it, saying "Out of all the people on that train she could have bothered, she picks the crossdresser with neon green hair".
Axel (KHII): AB07,AB08 (Cosplay Chess-Team Evil)
Reno(FF:AC): AB10
Riley (Pokemon): AB11
N Harmonia (Pokemon): AB12
deviantART Cosplay.comFacebookMy website
BaffledPrince
Veteran Poster

Post by BaffledPrince »

When I was cosplaying Conan, I had followed an acquaintance to the Mariott so he could get something from his hotel room. We were waiting for the elevators in the lobby when I hear a little girl's voice go "Excuse me?" So I looked down at her and she just goes "You look sooooooooo cute!" in the most happy tone of voice and oh gosh that was the most precious thing ever.

When I was cosplaying Lucas from Mother 3, I was walking through the Pru to meet with a friend, when I was stopped by two Asian girls with the cutest accents looking very excited, and they had shopping bags from the mall so I could tell they weren't part of the con and stuff. They wanted to take a picture with me which surprised me! Then they told me they liked my rope snake and went on their way. Gosh I can never find fans of that game...I should walk around as Lucas more often. It was nice haha.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I had an interesting moment washing my hands in the Prudential Mall bathroom by the foodcourt. This was on Sunday when I was in dressed as Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter. A little girl came around the corner with her mother and smiled wide. She was saying "Hogwarts, Hogwarts." and looked like she wanted to come up and say hi or hug me or something but her mom just kind of pulled her in the direction of the sink across from where I was standing and did one of those "Don't look at her" things. It was funny but I wish she would've let her daughter hug me or whatever it is she wanted. It's not like I bite and I was dressed from something pretty much every kid knows.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Ok, so I have two stories.

I myself don't cosplay but I always seem to have the urge to explain what is going on. On Thursday, I picked up my badge and to my surprise, I see one of my friends working (he works for the Skywalk Observatory) at the booth, looking at the cosplayers. He pretty much said, "you go to the comic convention too." I told him that this was an anime convention and since I knew he was a DBZ and Pokemon fan when he was younger, I used that to explain. I then asked if he was working the other days and he said yes, to which I told him that come those days, you will see a lot more. You guys did not disappoint as the entire hall was flooded with cosplayers. I checked up on him from time to time, naming several of the characters, which he asked, "do you have to know all the characters?" I ended up laughing and saying no, but I do know several. I believe he enjoyed them, although I did suggest to him that he would have loved PAX East since he phased out of anime a while ago but is a gamer himself.

Now onto my second story. This time, I am on the other side. For those who live in the state, we know that this week is School Vacation Week for all public schools in Massachusetts. Due to that, many tourist spots are busy. What does this have to do with Anime Boston? I work at the aquarium passing out concessions for those waiting in line this week. Earlier this week, as I was doing my job, I see a group of teens being lead in behind me. Normally, I wouldn't pay much attention to them but one thing caught my eye, a red cloud. Yes, one of those teens was wearing an Naruto Akatsuki cloak and hat. I smiled, almost to the point where I was laughing while thinking "Anime Boston passed. Let it go!" Whoever that was, you definitely brightened up that day.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

dstnyskr wrote:I was in the marriot waiting in the lobby to check in on thursday with my friends (all of which had large props and wigs with their luggage) and this country woman probably in her 30's-40's comes up to me. I was wearing a green lolita type dress and probably looked the strangest out of all of people in my group....but she came right up to me.

The keywords in this story amount to "middle-aged country teacher". There's your explanation. :S

Disclaimer: not all middle aged individuals, people from the country, teachers, or combinations thereof are like this. But it also doesn't really surprise me, rude as it was for her to be going around saying this to apparently multiple people.
Viran
Experienced Poster

Post by Viran »

I don't really have anything interesting to say, but when I was walking out of the Pru from the Masq, some Japanese people were looking at me and if my Japanese is correct said I was cute aha xD
Also I got a highfive from a random stranger saying I was awesome and cool? I can't wait till next year where I'll be cosplaying Doll and walking to my mum's nail salon in Copley.
AB'11@ JBF: Luka Megurine (Memories Ver.)
AB'12@ Matryoshka! SeeU
AB'13@ Senbon Zakura Miku+Madoka (PMMM)
Icchysgirl
Veteran Poster

Post by Icchysgirl »

I just have one slightly funny story I was actually on my way to the con and was still a ways
off when I stopped to get a coffee at DD totally forgetting I was dressed as Fem! Yusei and walked in
Now at this point I was in four inch heels (I'm already five foot nine). The guy working was really
confused (and hot) at first but he was like "Your from that Yugioh series right? The new one
... my brother watches it." I nodded and ordered my coffee before I left he paused and came around
asking for a photo asking his boss to take it. It was nice and he was really chill, he thought I looked
nice and said I looked nice and pulled something new into a girly idea...
Sometimes my motorcycle just doesn't work ...
Sometimes I don't draw the right cards ...
And sometimes I have a man crush on Yugi
Plans for 2014 - Female Yusei
Kico_kun
Experienced Poster

Post by Kico_kun »

AK wrote:Going into Starbucks to get a coffee, no comment on the costume, then I get my drink and I see "Snake" written on the cup :mrgreen:
I LoL'd
hotmustang1
Experienced Poster

Post by hotmustang1 »

I believe it was on Saturday, there was a middle-aged asian man sitting at a table. My sister and I (Phantom of the Opera & Iruka) walked by him to get into the food court. On our way out he took like 5 pictures as we walked by (note: his camera was HUGE) I looked at him, and he looked away kind of guiltily. I felt kind of bad afterwards :(