biggest regret/unexpected experience volume two

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2012.
Caesar
Expert Poster

biggest regret/unexpected experience volume two

Post by Caesar »

an encore of my popular 2011 thread by the same name, same rules apply. viewtopic.php?t=13018

this year, having gone to the stupid 21 plus drinking thing, the alcohol was even more of a rip off than last year and the room was stacked heavily against any chance of me having someone to dance with.

best unexpected experience, same as last year but with a difference, getting picked to go first on hentai dubbing... and getting compliments for it the entire rest of the con. Still have to give it up to Master Roshie though, that dragonball line was brilliant.
"Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of kings." Horace
Xias
Veteran Poster

Re: biggest regret/unexpected experience volume two

Post by Xias »

Yeah the drink prices were really ridiculous this year, I agree, but from what I understand that's totally the Sheraton's call and AB has zero to do with it. What I *don't* understand is why the prices were so much worse than the Sheraton's own hotel bar downstairs. You could get a decent-sized cocktail, in a normal glass, for $10 (or basically 2+ shots of pretty much anything other than really expensive stuff for $9 and change). On the other hand, any cocktail in tiny plastic cups that appeared to have roughly half as much beverage cost $12 in the 21+ lounge. Can't understand that at all, but oh well.

(I have no idea on beer cost at the lounge vs. the bar because not a beer drinker, so maybe someone else could chime in there?)
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

Regret would have to be not being able to get into Caitlin Glass' autograph panel; got there at 4:10 and wasn't allowed in. My Gunslinger girl DVD was useless, then. :<

Unexpected experience would have to be walking into the "Matte Matte" panel right when a panelist went "Star Gentle Uterus!" :lol:
I knew what show it was from too but, that didn't make the scene any less amusing.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
EatTheKids
Experienced Poster

Post by EatTheKids »

Biggest regret: AB and PAX were on the same weekend, so I had to skip AB on Sunday for at least one day of attending PAX, and vice versa. Also, I had to stretch my budget for the weekend, and my legs hurt from all the walking haha.

Most unexpected experience: Getting hooked into participating in the Friday Resident Evil photoshoot. Not to say it wasn't a blast, but it was totally unexpected.
AB'06-07~Attendee
AB'08-10~Merchant (RE4)
AB'11~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'12~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'13~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
Shining Armor{Modern Interpretation} (MLP)
80's Hong Kong Movie Detective
Siefl
AB Staff

Post by Siefl »

Biggest regret: letting my butt head of a friend and his girlfriend tag along and ruin every panel I went to. All they did was complain and argue with others starting crap DX

Unexpected experience: going into a elevator of strangers and a friend to stop by each floor to yell. Reactions were pure gold and no one dared to enter. This lasted until the top floor.
Jennifer Marrero
AB Security Shift Supervisor 2019-2022
AB Junior Tech Staff 2018
AB Security Staff 2013-2017
AB Con Attendee 2008-2012
Caesar
Expert Poster

Post by Caesar »

ah yes I participated in a few elevator parties... well for a few floors at least. *is easily distracted by music and glow sticks*

and they really need to do something about these events. Why on earth can't they just reserve a room and supply their own alcohol or allow us to do that for them? Obviously if we have a valid id it shouldn't matter where the booze came from and if its really true that the intent is to cut us off before we get a slight buzz going then what is the point of the whole thing? They may as well just say, this is the 1920's, no legal fun allowed.
"Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of kings." Horace
mop
Veteran Poster

Post by mop »

I'm speaking for my husband here, who cosplayed as Elizabeth from Gintama. Never has he had so many people ask him to show his hairy legs off and be complimented on it. xD

As ridiculous as this may sound, I'd say my biggest regret is that I'm really shy and I didn't quite get entirely in character as much as I wanted to. I also forgot to bring my bottle of Grey Goose so I could get boozed up in the privacy of my room. Other than that I had a wonderful time this weekend.
"one by one, we are together, we fall together."

✧·˚. 2019:
Eiki Shiki (Touhou Project)
Katsura Kotarou (Gintama)
White Mage (Final Fantasy)

✧·˚. 2018:
Juvia Lockser (Fairy Tail)
Komachi Onozuka (Touhou Project)
Caesar
Expert Poster

Post by Caesar »

yeah I had intended to bring a bottle of wine to share with my friends room and maybe get a group cooler but the plans never materialized, everything was too sporadic and impormtu for that level of organization. The one decent party I got too was so out of control that it got shut down... and while I was getting glasses.

Also I only saw a few crossplays this year, but the ones I did see were pretty funny, some were convincing minus a few obvious features that would require surgery to get rid of, and some were intentionally bad and hilarious. Like the ninja spider-man with the mickey mouse ears and a mini skirt. that cracked me up.
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Post by yunaofparadise »

Regret: I can't complain since my friend got the autograph I wanted for me but...autograph sessions sucked this year again from hearing people talking and stuff. That lady needs to chill, they either should make it obvious that you can only form the REAL line half an hour before it starts or whatever...no one reads the damn guide book for rules.

Unexpected: I bumped into a lot of friends without even having to call them and set up a time/meet area. ^____^
Ex-Shark-Virtue-005
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Ex-Shark-Virtue-005 »

My biggest regret was not taking part in the Gundam naming battle during the "All the Mecha You'll Ever Need" Panel. In two minutes I was able to name 28 Gundams the kid who won named 16 :\
Tieria Erde (first season) '09 and '10
Tieria Erde (second season) '11
Maka Albarn '12
Halloween Kitsune
Expert Poster

Post by Halloween Kitsune »

The only regret I can think about was..not bringing comfy shoes on Friday and Saturday...so that when my feet finally gave out I could put on comfy footwear to keep attending the con.

Unexpected experience: My costume and my boyfriend's costume were a HUGE hit. He went as Gordon Freeman and I went as Chell. We couldn't go more than 10-15 feet before people were asking for our picture. By Saturday afternoon I think the novelty of it all had worn off...and by then I was seeing more and more Chells but still...been going for 4 years and have NEVER had that good of a reception for a costume.
2020: Bowsette/Senko-san
2019: Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya
2018: Lady Sephiroth
2017: Smash Brothers Brawl Dark Zelda

Past Cosplays:
2016: LoL Ahri
2015: FF14 Miqo'te Bard
2014: Twilight Princess Link
2013: Chell (Portal 2)/Kat (DMC)
2012: Chell (Portal 2)
2011: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara)/ Black Rock Shooter
2010: Cloud (Advent Children)
2009: KH2 Roxas

Owner and master of Fox and Bear Cosplay:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FoxandBearCosplay
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I wanted to check out Tokyo Turf Wars, but it clashed with other events. :(
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
heartstarmagick
Experienced Poster

Post by heartstarmagick »

Biggest regret: I was Jenova for a couple of hours on Saturday and left my helmet at the room. It was kind of a blessing in disguise because it was uncomfortable but it still looked awesome and I totally wish i had it for at least the shoot.

Unexpected experience: I met someone that's in the same roleplay community on tumblr as me and we freaked out once we figured out who we were, and now we're super friends~
AB 2012!!
Superior Xemnas (with my Org. XIII group) from Kingdom Hearts
Mother JENOVA (with my Professor Hojo) from Final Fantasy VII
AB 2013!!
Axel {and possibly/probably Xemnas} (with my Saix) from Kingdom Hearts
Lucrecia Crescent (with my Professor Hojo) from FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus
Spirit Albarn (with my Stein) from Soul Eater {extremely tentative}
Viajeras
Veteran Poster

Post by Viajeras »

Biggest regret is certainly not getting to meet Kirk Thornton... I REALLY wanted to get a couple of things signed by him because I've been following his voice work for a long time, but of course his autograph signing had to be during the masquerade (which I participated in so I had no choice in the matter of where I could be.) I'm really bummed about it, honestly. He's a big name and I never hear about him going to cons.
Anime Boston 2018 Plans & Possibilities
Friday - Hendrickson (S1 & S2) (Nanatsu no Taizai)
Sima Zhao (Dynasty Warriors 9)
Mila Babicheva (Yuri!!! On Ice)
NobiZero
Expert Poster

Post by NobiZero »

Biggest regret was rooming with friends that had other friends that drink. A lot. Thursday night, one of them had to be taken to the hospital, and Saturday night, another was sick in our room. *sigh*
ashanyao
Veteran Poster

Post by ashanyao »

biggest regret was not going to more events because i was in awe of everything to look at on friday. this also applies to saturday but it was SO jam packed that everything i wanted to go to i nearly arrived to late and had to miss out on. i also wish i was more outgoing and talked to more people.. everyone seemed super nice. lastly, not staying in a hotel for AT LEAST one night even though i live local so i could attend the ball and/or one of the dances. taking the MBTA super late at night alone sketches me out.
✧・゚:* AB 2024 *:・゚✧
Friday AM ⋆ Sailor Mars
Friday PM ⋆ Princess / Prom Flayn
Saturday ⋆ Timeskip Lysithea (masquerade) - FE3H
Sunday ⋆ Abigail - Stardew Valley

✧・゚:* SOCIALS *:・゚✧
https://www.instagram.com/ashanyao/
https://www.facebook.com/ashanyaocosplay/
https://twitter.com/ashanyao
Cyspark
Experienced Poster

Post by Cyspark »

Biggest Regret: Not going to all the photoshoot and snagging a few photos of each group

Unexpected: Seeing a Master Grade Seven Sword Gundam from 00 mismarked in the dealers room by 40 dollars less and not getting it because I wasnt buying anything on Friday :cry:
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Post by bookishfreak »

Biggest regret: Not taking more pictures

Unexpected awesome experience: Listening to Chris Ayres recite a Shakespeare monologue for me. :D
Saeran42
Experienced Poster

Post by Saeran42 »

My biggest regret was deciding to skip the FF photoshoot on Friday and go to the Avatar photoshoot instead...where my friends who were pretty much the whole group didn't wait for me, and while I could have changed into my Garnet and gone to the FF photoshoot, I ran over to the Avatar one and by the time I got there they were pretty much done. The worst part was there was a Zidane in the elevator on my way down, and if I had spent my time in the hotel room changing into Garnet instead of staying in my Zuko cosplay I could've gotten a picture. XD It's not such a big deal, but it's making me pretty bummed seeing the pictures of the FF photoshoot I missed.

Unexpected experience was having a great time at the Saturday FF photoshoot instead, even if it was a small one because there was a miscommunication on where/when the shoot was happening. We accidentally had it at the same place/time as where the Assassin's Creed one was happening, and while we were taking pictures they climbed up onto the statue behind us all and looked like they were about to launch an attack. XD It was pretty awesome.
Plans for 2019!
Ann Takamaki (masquerade art, Persona 5)
Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
Rinoa Heartilly (Final Fantasy VIII)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Biggest regret: leaving my camera in my bag all day Sunday

Best unexpected experience: At the "Evangelion WTF?" panel, I was one of three Gendo cosplayers; I remarked to them that "All we need now is a Shinji to abuse." And guess what was sitting in the front row?

Target Acquired.

I got up out of my chair, and the audience began to giggle. I put my hands behind my back, stared down at this poor kid with the patented Ikari glower, and let him have it.

"See that?" (pointing to an imaginary Eva 01 in the distance). Shinji just kinda squirms in his chair; whatever, I have his attention. Back to the torture:

"You." (pointing at Shinji)
"In." (pointing back at the Eva)
"NOW."

The audience bursts into laughter, as does the panelist. Afterward, I made sure that this kid had taken it in good fun; I didn't want any hard feelings. He told me that he knew the game I was playing and was happy to play along. In fact, we all had a photo shoot after the panel, and I rested my elbows on Shinji's shoulders so I could do the "Gendo Pose" (white-gloved hands folded, eyes peering over them; if you're curious, Google it.)
Last edited by Master of NERV on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Lorok
I'm new!

Post by Lorok »

Biggest regret is not having my camera with me, or not actually meeting many new people while there.

Most unexpected experience was participation in the hentai dubbing. I hadn't even really intended to go, and then ended up on stage. :D
RubyBlight

Post by RubyBlight »

Unexpected Experience:
1. Being at the Swap Meet and having a very nice Ash Ketchum cosplayer tell my friends and me about how he planned on proposing to his girlfriend during Cosplay Chess. We'd never met before, so I thought it was pretty cool of him to tell me about something so important. He and his new fiance stopped by in the food court on Sunday to show us the ring he gave her. So sweet. <3

2. Finally eating at the bar at the Marriott. The food is excellent.

Biggest Regret: Getting in the hotel room bed and realizing just how uncomfortable my bed at home is. Now that AB has happened, my next large purchase needs to be a new mattress before my current one wrecks my back.
Akimichi Sazuki
Determined Poster

Post by Akimichi Sazuki »

Unexpected experience: I was totally shocked at how much love my Black Star cosplay got. I totally thought it was going to get disliked since my wig was pretty bad and since i hadn't lost enough weight to "fit" his character but i was asked quite a bit over the weekend for pics which made my weekend :3

Biggest regret: Having to leave early sunday to catch the last bus home since its a 4 hour bus ride v-v
You will never understand the depth of our pride
kelmallow

Post by kelmallow »

Biggest regret was again getting to only go for one day and not being able to stay for the saturday night panels >.<

Also having to scrap the cosplay I reeeeeally wanted because without the dress alterations, it just looked awful. Hopefully it'll still be relevant next year!
AB 2009: Faye from QC/Default schoolgirl
AB 2010: Seras Victoria- Hellsing
AB 2011: Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim
AB 2012: Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim
AB 2013: Moira O'Hara- AHS
AB 2014: Rainbow Dash a la Cupcakes
AB 2015: Femme!Captain America, Cupcakes RD?
MisfitM3L

Post by MisfitM3L »

I didnt get to make any frieeeeeends :'(
I dont know what to say! Im so shy!
NEXT YEAR FOR SURE! ^-^
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

biggest regret: not taking more photos on Saturday. Most of that day was spent in an odd daze, and still kicking self for missing so many crazy~awesome cosplays

unexpected experience: playing pong in video game room. Just... PONG!
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
BlitztheComicGuy

Post by BlitztheComicGuy »

Lessee, probably my biggest regret is not hanging out in the Dealers Room more. There were a lot of really cool artists in there, but there were also a LOOOOOT of people and I never felt comfortable stopping for more than ten seconds. Plus, I'm just shy and awkward in general, so randomly striking up conversations with everyone really wasn't gonna happen.

...also, this doesn't quite count as a regret for 2012, but I already deeply regret that I most likely won't be able to make it up for AB 2013.

Unexpected experience: Definitely explaining what an anime convention is to an old lady in the mall food court.
Conventional Wisdom, What happens at the con DOESN'T stay at the con
Far Out There, the webcomci where things happen... IN SPACE!
Kico_kun
Experienced Poster

Post by Kico_kun »

Biggest Regret: Not bringing my own camera.

Unexpected Experience: Taking pictures with all my favorite red heads (Yoko, Shana and Mitsuru) Guess another regret would be not mustering the courage to get contact info
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Shinobi Kitsune wrote:The only regret I can think about was..not bringing comfy shoes on Friday and Saturday...so that when my feet finally gave out I could put on comfy footwear to keep attending the con.

Unexpected experience: My costume and my boyfriend's costume were a HUGE hit. He went as Gordon Freeman and I went as Chell. We couldn't go more than 10-15 feet before people were asking for our picture. By Saturday afternoon I think the novelty of it all had worn off...and by then I was seeing more and more Chells but still...been going for 4 years and have NEVER had that good of a reception for a costume.
I saw you guys! You were perfect not only as King and Queen of Valve nerds, but also on Friday morning, as my group drove into Boston, I had said at some point "I hope there's a Gordon Freeman...."
I walk into the Sheraton lobby, turn around to look for my mom and BAM. Gordon! I got him to talk, too :3

Regret: I was Major Raikov from MGS3; I needed a Volgin! My Volgin backed out, but my friend supposedly heard another Volgin somewhere. Never found him, though D: Oh, well, I got confused for Prussia/Germany (it's really my friend's Prussia costume) and got some confusion hugs! :3

Unexpected Experience: Umm... EPIC hotel room :D But seriously... Elevator parties! I got stuck waiting for an elevator after the dance let out early (I wasn't in the dance, just got enveloped by the traffic) and ended up in some sort of horror story square with two Vampire Knights and some older gentleman. That was pretty cooool!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Master of NERV wrote:Biggest regret: leaving my camera in my bag all day Sunday

Best unexpected experience: At the "Evangelion WTF?" panel, I was one of three Gendo cosplayers; I remarked to them that "All we need now is a Shinji to abuse." And guess what was sitting in the front row?

Target Acquired.

I got up out of my chair, and the audience began to giggle. I put my hands behind my back, stared down at this poor kid with the patented Ikari glower, and let him have it.

"See that?" (pointing to an imaginary Eva 01 in the distance). Shinji just kinda squirms in his chair; whatever, I have his attention. Back to the torture:

"You." (pointing at Shinji)
"In." (pointing back at the Eva)
"NOW."

The audience bursts into laughter, as does the panelist. Afterward, I made sure that this kid had taken it in good fun; I didn't want any hard feelings. He told me that he knew the game I was playing and was happy to play along. In fact, we all had a photo shoot after the panel, and I rested my elbows on Shinji's shoulders so I could do the "Gendo Pose" (white-gloved hands folded, eyes peering over them; if you're curious, Google it.)

I was at that panel, too, and that was just fantastic!! I laughed and laughed. ^_^

Let's see...the only regret I had was not getting the name of the Cobra Commander cosplayer I had my picture taken with on the Friday night of the con at Tossed.
victorpatrick

Post by victorpatrick »

Discovering the great food at the Marriott bar and taking the time to enjoy it adds to the overall convention experience. Food can often be a delightful aspect of any event. Bitlife