First time at AB/Going alone??

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
Gabbalot
Getting the hang of this...

First time at AB/Going alone??

Post by Gabbalot »

This is probably a loooong shot, and because its so late in the game I doubt anyone will reply, but if anyone's out there: Is it a terrible idea to go to AB alone for my first time going to an event like this? I've always wanted to go to a con-like event, but I've never had any friends who were interested (actually, none of my friends in this state even know that I like anime...).

I'm pretty outgoing, though I've never been one to take chances like going to a huge event by myself. From what I've read in similar posts, people seem pretty nice, and several other members here have gone to AB alone and had a great time. My only concern is doing this for the first time, by myself.

If anyone else is in the same situation and might want to meet up, let me know! I haven't even bought a ticket and I've honestly just posted this on a whim, but I'm still open to meeting people if anyone's interested. I'd only be going on Saturday, but I'd be able to go for the whole day. For reference, my main interests right no are sports anime/manga (Yuri!!! On Ice, Haikyuu!! primarily), and Final Fantasy :)
AB 2018 Cosplay: Princess Allura (combat suit), Phichit Chulanont (casual)

AB 2019 Cosplay:
Goth!Princess Allura, Bunny Hero Miruko (BNHA), Widowmaker (possibly), Mina (BNHA) (possibly)
katiekira
I'm new!

Re: First time at AB/Going alone??

Post by katiekira »

If it's your very first con, I'll admit it can be slightly overwhelming compared to others only because AB is maybe the 5th largest anime con in the country. The first time I went with a group we got lost a few times, but theres a ton of people to guide you in the right directions to panels and events. Since then though I've gone to every AB on my own and I prefer it that way! You can plan your day so much better than if you tried to keep tabs on everyone you're with. I especially like cosplaying alone because people are more likely to want to take your picture when you're not caught in a group. Everyone's just really nice and there's a ton of people who go alone every year, so go for it.
(PS- Yuri on Ice and Final Fantasy are lit, I'm pretty sure there's a FF panel or two going on over the weekend)
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

If it's an event you're interested in, it's never a terrible idea to try going

Make some new friends, see new stuff, spazz over all the awesome cosplays!
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Hi!

Absolutely nothing wrong with going to AB alone! There's nothing like being the master of your own destiny at a gathering like this.

Also, you may want review some of the other posts here from other folks asking the same question. You'll get a lot of insight.

But whatever else you do, please remember to stay hydrated and eat properly! It's no fun being wheeled out of the con on a stretcher after you've passed out (and they keep them around for just this purpose). That's not the kind of experience you're looking for, I'm sure! ;)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
yongsoo

Post by yongsoo »

i'm also going alone...maybe we should start a thread with random updates and meetups ? or maybe we can all wear something that says "i'm here by myself" (but not literally that..perhaps like a pin of some sort?)
Gabbalot

Post by Gabbalot »

Omg I never actually expected anyone to reply, thank you all so much! You're all so sweet :). I definitely feel like this is more doable now! I'd still need to plan getting my ticket/registering on Saturday morning, and then plan what events/panels to go to (obviously I'd so this before I arrive at the event), but this definitely doesn't seem as daunting now.

AB 2019 Cosplay:
Goth!Princess Allura, Bunny Hero Miruko (BNHA), Widowmaker (possibly), Mina (BNHA) (possibly)
Fyyre
I'm new!

Post by Fyyre »

This is also my first time going to a convention alone. You wont be the only freaked out loner 😊
animefan

Post by animefan »

This is my 1st time this year
I tried to few times last year on Sunday but didn't make in was in Boston and one other time some years when was raining and mostly go by my self ,I don't mind it ,I do know a few people that going ,they working a booth ,iam older anime fan
BadMedic
I'm new!

Post by BadMedic »

Gonna be my first year going to a con alone, been to AB before and loved it. So I’m in the same boat as you haha but I have no doubt it’s gonna be fun!
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hello!! :D :D I have going to AB since 2003, and from 2003-2012, I went with a friend of mine. After that, starting in 2013, I've gone to the con by myself. I didn't attend in 2015 & 2016, but I was there last year, and will be there again this year.

I did have alot of fun with my friend, and I also had lots of fun when I went by myself. I never had any problems when I went alone, and everyone who volunteers is very helpful & friendly. Plus, if you notice several of the same people go to some of the same panels you go to, it's a great starting point for conversation. :) :)

There is something to be said about liking your own company, and being able to spend your time at the things YOU really enjoy. So go forth, and enjoy the con!! :D :D
laved
I'm new!

Post by laved »

Hi!
This will also be my first time going to Anime Boston! I have never gone to an Convention solo before. The only other con I’ve been to is Otakon.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Hello first time attendees...

Now that the greetings are out of the way, I can get into the conversation. I have been going alone to Anime Boston since 2007 with my first real con experience being in 2008 (only went for about 4 hours in 2007), so in that sense, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going to the event alone. In fact, I enjoy going alone as I do not have to cater my schedule with others and can go wherever I want, whenever I want. The freedom of being alone. XD

For the first time goers though, Anime Boston can be overwhelming. The first thing you will see are the amount of people actually going to it. Once you get through that though, it get's a lot easier to deal with and you can not only begin the appreciate the experience but also the sight, because there are only a few amount of events here where you will see a large group of cosplayers. Oh, and do appreciate the sight of the non-congoers in the general public that that look puzzled at to what is going on.

Last thing I will definitely suggest is to check out First anime con, first time coming. Any tips?. You are not alone and there are a lot of useful tips for first timers there.

Oh, I also forgot that you may be surprised at who you see at Anime Boston. For example, I found out that some of my coworkers saw me at Anime Boston several years ago, prior to them even working at my work site.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Gabbalot

Post by Gabbalot »

So, I originally posted this thread a year ago, but I guess people dug this up! :lol:

It still applies though, I didn't end up going last year because of the weather, so this year will be my first time at AB. I'm not nervous or worried about it though, since I have an idea of how I'll navigate through my weekend. I was nervous last year because I had never been to any con, ever...but I went to Boston Comicon last August, and it's allowed me to get over any fears I had of cons.

That being said, for any first-time con-goers, or anyone new to AB (like myself), here's my advice:
  • Figure out what you want to get out of this con. Is it new friends? Is it anime merch? Is it more knowledge about anime or Japan or cosplaying? Is it just general love and curiosity? Whatever it is, think about what you want, it'll help you to decide what to do next
  • Once you've figured out what you want out of this experience, browse the 2018 schedule. See what panels interest you!
  • Take a glance at the hotel/venue layout, see where you favorite panels are, see where the artist alley or merch sections are. Bring a copy of the layout/map with you or save it on your phone
  • If you have specific interests, check to see if there are any threads dedicated to that interest or fandom
  • If you can, dress in cosplay! It's a great way to invite conversation and meet new people. Even if you can't cosplay, you can still takes pics with cosplayers (after you receive their permission, of course) at one of the meetups/photoshoots
  • Bring a couple snacks and some water so that you don't get worn out throughout the day. If you have space, bring a few extra Pocky to share with others, strike up conversation that way :)
  • Most importantly, pack your bag or belongings ahead of time!! Make sure you have your ID, your badge, your phone, and your wallet/money. Those are survival items, almost everything else can be borrowed. Bring deodorant if you sweat a lot (we'll probably all be sweaty!!). If you're someone with a uterus, it helps to bring sanitary items just in case.
But yeah, basically just try to remember that this is a con full of people like you, who love the same things you do. We're all excited to be there, and no one is going to judge you. We're all here to have a good time and enjoy the things we love, so I think people are going to be pretty friendly!

We're gonna have a blast!!!

AB 2019 Cosplay: