First Con + Questions?

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
latiosruby
I'm new!

First Con + Questions?

Post by latiosruby »

Yo, I'm new to the area and I'm on an internship so I really don't have too long to do all the cool things in the area -
but I'm super lucky to be here during AB!! (21/f)
I actually have never gone to a convention before except for a tiny game market in Ottawa once.

I'm a gamer and I don't know anyone... (but i am really, really, REALLY hype to stomp AB arrows! Seriously the charts are famous)

I live around Alewife, so is it a better idea to grab a hotel room or just go home every night?
I think it could be fun to room with people and get to know people, but idk.

I guess I'm looking for advice and reassurance? Sorry it's kinda early.
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Re: First Con + Questions?

Post by nightmareman00 »

Well I've done ab before with out a hotel room ready it is do able to drive or take the train but it's also very tiring as well
So I say a room is a good idea gives you a base of operations so to speak and fyi trying to use your car as a means to stay for sleep not the best of places lol
bulletdancer
Experienced Poster

Post by bulletdancer »

I've done conventions both with hotel nearby, hotel further away requiring public transport, and staying at the end of public transport lines with a 20 minute drive beyond that. There's not a huge difference between the first two, as you can always get a taxi. But if you're parking at the end of a line, I found that I was hyper aware of when I needed to leave the convention to get to the train, and this meant that I missed some stuff which happened in the evening that I would have loved to see.

Further if you're cosplaying, unless you know you can wear it all day, you probably want to have a hotel room closeby

The nice thing about the close by hotel room is like you said, potentially meeting new people, if they're the types to chat. Additionally, as also said, having a close by base of operations to store snacks, and be able to take breathers away from the convention, and lastly it's really nice to just have the flexibility of I'll just stick around until I get tired and want to go sleep, which you can't really do if you're driving or walking a good distance etc.

At this point, I personally will almost always try to find a hotel room within walking distance so that I don't have to worry about anything (plus some cosplays I've made are not comfortable to wear for an entire day so I need to change in/out), but I think both are totally viable options, and I think you'll find AB to be a great time regardless of your choice.

Also, it's not too early, especially if you're thinking about finding a hotel room nearby, things can fill up faster than anyone anticipates.

Hope this helps

AB 2009 - Hercule: Dragonball Z
AB 2010 - Waka: Okami
AB 2012 - FoMar: Phantasy Star Online
AB 2013 - Twilight Suzuka: Outlaw Star
AB 2015 - Princess Eiricka, Bride version: Fire Emblem Awakening
AB 2016 - Syaoran Li: Card Captor Sakura and Victorious Morgana: League of Legends
AB 2017 - Light Speed Suzuka: Angelic Layer
AB 2018 - Cid Raines - FFXII
AB 2019 - Cordelia Randgriz - Valkyria Chronicles
AB 2022 - Medicine Seller - Mononoke
AB 2023 - Somnacanth Armor - MH Rise
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

latiosruby wrote:Yo, I'm new to the area and I'm on an internship so I really don't have too long to do all the cool things in the area -
I actually have never gone to a convention before except for a tiny game market in Ottawa once.

I'm a gamer and I don't know anyone... (but i am really, really, REALLY hype to stomp AB arrows! Seriously the charts are famous)

I live around Alewife, so is it a better idea to grab a hotel room or just go home every night?

A gamer huh? Well, there is the Game Room that you may enjoy...

Anyway, on means of transportation, I prefer taking public transportation since it is easily accessible for me. It is also helpful that all I have is a backpack when I go (I don't cosplay) and my last bus is 3am (2am for train). All in all, you choose what is best for you. If you are planning on cosplaying or buying a lot of merch, then a hotel or driving in may be best for you. If you are like me where you can easily get around and you don't buy a lot, then public transportation will do.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

Elli21486 wrote:
latiosruby wrote:Yo, I'm new to the area and I'm on an internship so I really don't have too long to do all the cool things in the area -

Anyway, on means of transportation, I prefer taking public transportation since it is easily accessible for me. It is also helpful that all I have is a backpack when I go (I don't cosplay) and my last bus is 3am (2am for train). All in all, you choose what is best for you. If you are planning on cosplaying or buying a lot of merch, then a hotel or driving in may be best for you. If you are like me where you can easily get around and you don't buy a lot, then public transportation will do.
Huh I thought the trains stopped running at midnight?
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Alewife is a little far isn't it? I agree it is doable, but being onsite is really convenient.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

nightmareman00 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:

The MBTA started their Late Night Service pilot program on March 28, 2014. This essentially stated that all subway lines will run until about 2:30am on Fridays and Saturdays. Key busses were also there to wait for the last trains, which sometimes ended up being at 3:30am. Then on June 27, 2015, they extended the program but cut the hours and several busses from the program. Now, all subways will leave downtown stations (Government Center, State, Park, and Downtown Crossing) around 2am on Fridays and Saturdays. Key busses are still in use and they will wait for the last subway, which can go up to 3am.

This was briefly discussed here but could have easily been overlooked.

The future of the program though is unknown as it has been considered for ending the program in general or privatizing it to a company. Time will tell.
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

Elli21486 wrote:
nightmareman00 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:

The MBTA started their Late Night Service pilot program on March 28, 2014. This essentially stated that all subway lines will run until about 2:30am on Fridays and Saturdays. Key busses were also there to wait for the last trains, which sometimes ended up being at 3:30am. Then on June 27, 2015, they extended the program but cut the hours and several busses from the program. Now, all subways will leave downtown stations (Government Center, State, Park, and Downtown Crossing) around 2am on Fridays and Saturdays. Key busses are still in use and they will wait for the last subway, which can go up to 3am.

The future of the program though is unknown as it has been considered for ending the program in general or privatizing it to a company. Time will tell.
Huh guess I need to ride the T more often bin awhile Since I've bin in park station
Deku-Kun
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Deku-Kun »

First of all it's never to "early" to ask. :P
Time will fly by so quick from now until the day of the con. So it's a good thing you're asking now.

Based on personal experience. I would say try to find a place to stay that's close to the con. Or connected to the con like the Marriott or Sheraton. (<-- too overpriced). If this is your first time I'd say stay close to take advantage of the whole experience in general from dusk til dawn!

At the end of the day you decide though and don't hesitate to ask in general. May your experience be delightful and hopefully we run into each other. It's a small world at AB haha.
Ithrowpeople

Post by Ithrowpeople »

If you have the cash to spare, then get a room. My first year was last year and having to get up extra early and gathering friends and such was a pain every day. -_- I'm trying to get a room but my friends are a pain to try and coordinate with.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

nightmareman00 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
nightmareman00 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:

Huh guess I need to ride the T more often bin awhile Since I've bin in park station
Well, I have some bad news now. The MBTA Board has decided to end the Late Night Service on March 18, 2016.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

Elli21486 wrote:
nightmareman00 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
nightmareman00 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:

Well, I have some bad news now. The MBTA Board has decided to end the Late Night Service on March 18, 2016.
Well that's not good
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

I don't know how close that is to the convention, but if it's far away definitely get a hotel room. Driving up the day of is no fun if the car ride is crazy long. If money is an issue, driving is probably cheaper, but you lose a lot of the perks of a hotel room. A hotel room is really nice, since you can go back and forth to get stuff. Forgetting things and carrying things becomes much less of a problem. Also, driving home after the con at night when you're exhausted is rough. Hotel rooms avoid that issue. In terms of cosplay, it's really nice to be able to get extra stuff in your room, and again, if you forget something or don't want to carry or wear something, you can put it away, get whatever you need and have a nice place to change. I'd say weigh the pros and cons and then decide.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

dunno if you're still looking for answers... but here's my 2cents anyway

if you are all by yourself a hotel room is kinda costly.. do the commute thing instead. Park at Alewife, take train in, go home each night (I've done this exact routine, always amazed just how many cosplayers are there on train at midnight headin home)

Also, you mention this being your first convention ... and they do get a bit overwhelming, after a crowded day of fandom, your own cozy bed & shower are kind of a godsent, not gonna lie
Make new friends at con and you can share the hotel room next year :D
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

Mina Finn wrote:

I don't know how close that is to the convention, but if it's far away definitely get a hotel room. Driving up the day of is no fun if the car ride is crazy long. If money is an issue, driving is probably cheaper, but you lose a lot of the perks of a hotel room. A hotel room is really nice, since you can go back and forth to get stuff. Forgetting things and carrying things becomes much less of a problem. Also, driving home after the con at night when you're exhausted is rough. Hotel rooms avoid that issue. In terms of cosplay, it's really nice to be able to get extra stuff in your room, and again, if you forget something or don't want to carry or wear something, you can put it away, get whatever you need and have a nice place to change. I'd say weigh the pros and cons and then decide.
I bolded this cause it's by far the best part of staying on site, at least to me; you can just always go back and forth to your hotel room, which is really convenient and something you'll miss a lot if you commute. I've done both as well and I really hate not being able to just go to my hotel room whenever I want for whatever reason- even if it's just to chill for a half hour away from the crowds. It's a godsend sometimes. So that's what I recommend too, if you can afford it!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

Xias wrote:
Mina Finn wrote:

I bolded this cause it's by far the best part of staying on site, at least to me; you can just always go back and forth to your hotel room, which is really convenient and something you'll miss a lot if you commute. I've done both as well and I really hate not being able to just go to my hotel room whenever I want for whatever reason- even if it's just to chill for a half hour away from the crowds. It's a godsend sometimes. So that's what I recommend too, if you can afford it!
Yeah... If you can afford it and live more than an hour away, definitely get a hotel room to be honest. As nice as it is to be able to get ready in your own house, commuting and not having a place to go back to whenever really sucks. Of course if you live less than 15 minutes from the con or something a hotel room is excessive, but I'd recommend it in most other cases. The only downside to a hotel is money.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
QQ

Post by QQ »

I think it depends on how late you plan on staying every night. If you stay past the last train, then the benefits of having a room add up because Uber/taxi can be expensive. If you plan on cosplaying a lot, then having a hotel room to change and do make-up is very convenient. :) So if you get a good room rate, I'd definitely get a room.

So you're from Ottawa Ontario?