New Yorker Registered for AB 2015

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
KerriAnne827
Getting the hang of this...

New Yorker Registered for AB 2015

Post by KerriAnne827 »

Hello :) I just registered to attend Anime Boston this upcoming year! I am from NY close to the city.
Anyone else here from NY and planning on going? Also my first year - would like to know about it a little more from experience stand points! Please share stories!

xo, Kerri
xo Kerri Anne :)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Re: New Yorker Registered for AB 2015

Post by Master of NERV »

KerriAnne827 wrote:Hello :) Also my first year - would like to know about it a little more from experience stand points! Please share stories!
From an old, grizzled veteran, welcome to Anime Boston!

From your post, might I infer that this is also your first anime convention? If so, here's a few things to look forward to...

The cosplay: at a show of AB's size, you'll see literally hundreds of fans dressed as characters of shows going back decades! I've seen Speed Racer rubbing elbows with Edward Elric, while Sailor Moon and Shinji Ikari sit side by side waiting for a panel...and that's just what's wandering in the halls! At the Masquerade, you can see the best cosplay the event has to offer, with some presentations includes originally-scripted, in-character skits.

The guests: Anime Boston prides itself on its guests, from both the U.S. industry (voice actors, directors, and distribution company representatives), and from Japan (over the years, AB has hosted manga-ka, musical guests that come to perform(!), and anime directors and production staff). Guests have their own panels, and there are autograph sessions scheduled.

The screenings: Anime Boston often boasts over 200 hours of anime video programming, from early moring to late evening. On occasion, AB is proud to screen the U.S. premiere of an eagerly-awaited title (IIRC, 2014 had the U.S. English-dub premiere of Attack on Titan.)

The swag: AB's dealers' room is a sight to behold--hundreds of vendors selling (among lots of other things) anime, manga, cosplay wigs and accessories, gaming supplies, imported anime figurines, and at times authentic anime cels and production materials.

I think I'll stop here, and let others share their stories. I can only hope I've made the case that Anime Boston is a great way to spend a weekend! I attended the first event in 2003 and haven't missed one since.

Hope to see you at AB '15!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
JeffersonLeeEng
AB Staff

Post by JeffersonLeeEng »

KerriAnne827 wrote:Hello :) I just registered to attend Anime Boston this upcoming year! I am from NY close to the city.
Anyone else here from NY and planning on going? Also my first year - would like to know about it a little more from experience stand points! Please share stories!
Oh, I'm sure you'll have a blast. I'm from just outside he Philadelphia area so my adventure to Boston is a little farther than yours. Also, if you're looking for cheap transportation to get to/from, you might want to Greyhound's Yo! Bus. They do curbside between Manhattan Chinatown and Boston South Station. I think a one way ticket is $20 or so...

http://www.yobus.com/schedules-122914.htm
Jefferson Eng
Anime Boston — 2010
: Attendee | 2011: Registration Staff | 2013: Tech Ops: Desk Staff | 2012/14/15/18: Tech Ops: Jr Tech Staff | 2017: Tech Ops: Large Events Staff | 2022-Present: Tech Ops: General Tech Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otaku Generation Podcast
Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fansite
The Overnightscape Underground
odokom
AB Staff

Post by odokom »

this is my first time going to anime boston as well.i'm going as choji akimichi and hopefully as kingpin as well.
KerriAnne827

Post by KerriAnne827 »

Thanks to all of you!!! I am really excited to go to an anime focused con the only con ive been to is comic con and yes they have a bunch of anime there but its not enough! :) I can't wait to see you all there this year! :P
xo Kerri Anne :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

you'll love it then ^^ pm me and we can fan girl with each other o.o;
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Wonder Twin

Post by Wonder Twin »

I think this will be a really exciting experience for you! I base my year around AB, event though I go to multiple cons a year. The thing I love about anime cons in general over comic cons is the difference in how they feel. Comic cons, while very fun, focus a lot on showcasing and can feel more like an exhibit sometimes, where as when I go to an anime convention, it's all about the community and the welcoming environment that fills the air and is very noticeable right as you step in!
Jonathan Fleming: Co-Host and Co-Creator of Wicked Anime
AB Press (2013 - )
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Wicked Anime:
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Websites:
Portfolio: http://jfleming3d.wordpress.com/
deviantArt: http://wonder-twin.deviantart.com/
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Wonder Twin wrote:...when I go to an anime convention, it's all about the community and the welcoming environment that fills the air and is very noticeable right as you step in!
Well said! It's great when the average[-aged] con-goer accepts me as one of the gang--despite the fact I'm old enough to be the father of most other attendees.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Welcome! I'm from New York only in essence since I am there every working day and in Boston too. (Transportation worker)

If you've never been to the con before, take note of the thread I posted on the board for what to bring while you are packing. It is located here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18268

If you give it a look over, you shouldn't forget anything. There's been years I forgot things, so having this on the board is beneficial for con-goers. Old and new alike. I hope you enjoy it. Anime Boston is a top quality con.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
revsoulx3
Experienced Poster

Post by revsoulx3 »

I'm from NJ near NYC. You're gonna have a blast! AB is the one con I make sure to attend every year. :)
♥AB ATTENDEE SINCE 2005♥
Zombiethebob

Post by Zombiethebob »

revsoulx3 wrote:I'm from NJ near NYC. You're gonna have a blast! AB is the one con I make sure to attend every year. :)
I'm from Boston. Muwahaha. But. I've been attending since 05 as well! I missed 3 years because I moved due to my job. But yeah.

Also. To the OP. Boo, Yankees. =P
On a serious note are you coming with people? I suggest you look at the schedule and see what you might want to attend. Get a lot of rest. Ask people if you want to take pics of them. Otherwise. Other people have given great advice.
Have fun!
automaticjac
I'm new!

Post by automaticjac »

I'm from New York (Manhattan)! This is my second Anime Boston, I love it. Oddly enough, I met a lot of people that I'll be meeting at AB this time around at Katsucon earlier this year.

I'm not sure if I'll be checking this during the con, but I'll probably be having a room party sometime after midnight on Saturday. PM me if interested! I'd love to meet more New York area people.
GhostLeeOne
AB Alumni

Post by GhostLeeOne »

Brooklynite over here. General the commute is rather smooth sleepy ride and a enjoyable one. Perfect for catching extra sleep. Meow! *falls aslap*
James Harrison
Registration 2015
Event Photographer 2016
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

If your staying at a hotel and doing a early check in the day before that's a good time to explore alittle around the area more so to kill time if your picking up your badge early
GhostLeeOne
AB Alumni

Post by GhostLeeOne »

China town maybe small but there's a few good places to eat there. Also, newbury and boylston street has a quite few places to grab a bite that's near by the con.

Otherwise, I suggest hitting up Toro the Spanish food and the Coppa the Italian place. Great spots to have some really good food around $10-20 dollar range.
James Harrison
Registration 2015
Event Photographer 2016
Mike5880
I'm new!

Post by Mike5880 »

You still need someone to hang with? 23 new yorker here, first time going too
First time at AB

Cosplaying: Lance (voltron legendary defender)
Dragon Art

Post by Dragon Art »

Mike5880 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:32 pm You still need someone to hang with? 23 new yorker here, first time going too
hey mike look at the year this was posted
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

Yes indeed, this thread is old and is being locked.
Brian Magnant
Cosplay Events Assistant Manager 2024
Masquerade Coordinator 2020, 2023
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-19, 2021-2022

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.