Anime Boston Singles Meetup 2013

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Singles Meetup 2013

Post by Rox3l »

So I was perusing the 'Special someone' thread from last year because I had past by it a whole bunch of times and after reading all the posts I was like, we need a meetup. Some where people can meet others looking for a hopeful special someone and not being afraid if they are taken or uninterested. So I was thinking that since I'm sure there are still people hoping to meet a potential bf/gf at AB that we could meet at like Dunkin' or somewhere and just get to know other singles like ourselves. And if nothing else maybe makes some new friends.

Edit: I have removed the part of this post that was here because we decided against it. And since it was brought to my attention that the group link is hard to find I will place it up here where it can be found more easily. :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/162615543890676/

Note: If you send an invite request and if it is not approved or denied send me a message. There might have been a mishap.
Last edited by Rox3l on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Re: Anime Boston Singles Meetup 2013

Post by DrakaDark »

I would be interested in a singles meet. It would be nice to maybe find someone who shares some of my interest and is like minded. We can do Dunkins or we can do like a lunch/dinner type of thing.

We can also start a group online and start talking to build a base and stuff.
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

I'd be VERY interested in this as well!

Would be awesome to find someone who shares the same interests, and all that jazz.

Also a great opportunity to make friends! (and of course, maybe finding your special somepony!)

Do you want to create a facebook group? I can do it if needed!
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

If you would like to then you are more then welcome to do so. ^-^
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

In that case, I can try to set one up later!

Was about to say tomorrow...but it is after 2 am after all *snicker*

Too tired now to come up with anything good.

I'll link it here once it's finished :3
Don Julio
Expert Poster

Post by Don Julio »

i would be interested in this..i admit i usually am a hopeless romantic and dream of meeting that special someone at a con
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

I have been trying to think about when would be good for people to get together. Because I know that during the con people are usually all mixed up and busy but I don't know if we did it on like Thursday night after reg or something how many people would be able to come. I'm also trying to come up with some games for us to play to get more comfortable with each other. If anyone has some suggestion they would be welcome. ^-^
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

Don Julio wrote:i would be interested in this..i admit i usually am a hopeless romantic and dream of meeting that special someone at a con
Oh god I'm the EXACT WAY :lol:

Sorry I haven't done anything on facebook btw. Life is busy yo ;o;

All I know is that I won't be making it if we do it on Thursday....my friends and I are going to Fire and Ice for dinner after we get our badges :C
Pyroc96
Experienced Poster

Post by Pyroc96 »

i am actually really interested in doing something like this. i have been looking for my special someone for a while. but it is sort of difficult for me.
xbox live gamertag id: DarkFireMage773
Switch: SW-8317-0208-1418
Don Julio
Expert Poster

Post by Don Julio »

i will be there all weekend..the people i got a room with got it thurs-monday
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

MtF trans here. Just saying, trans doesn't indicate your orientation. Since I am a MtF trans, what does that mean for me? Am I into men or women? You don't know. :/...

Great to see we are in the listing here, and with green of all colors, buuuuut that isn't an orientation. It's an identity.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Two stickers perhaps, if you wanted?
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Would still confuse the hell out of people though. :/... I mean, I identify as female by gender, obviously not by sex. If people see me walking around with a green and blue sticker, what would they be thinking?..... That since I am in a male vessel, that I like women?.... or that my mind is female, so I like men?...

See, it's kind of hard. As much as I love TGs getting attention in this, it just doesn't work out. I know a female at mind would be straight if she likes men, but others don't know that.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

Honestly, I didn't really think of that, and I am sorry because I should have. I was just in such a hurry to make the thread, I apologize. I didn't put an actual sticker for people like myself either, I just used an Other to cover it. But if you would like to brain storm up a different ideas? It was just kind of an idea I had off the top of my head. ^^;
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Seriously, think nothing of it. I appreciate the thought of including us though. c:
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

^-^ Well it's not like you are not people. We will just have to come up with some additional stickers. Got any ideas on activities that we could do to get everyone comfortable a little out of their shells so they feel more inclined to actually approach someone?
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

To be honest, I like posting in these threads, but I am not one who can attend these events, since I have a tight group I am already part of. s:....

However, what WE do specifically on Thursday is:

Arrive at the hotel as early as possible in hpes of early checkin.
Hang around the hotel until Badge pickup
After, head back to the room, and hang around again until about 6-7PM
From there, we head to Unos to eat supper.
After that, we head back to the room with everyone (6 of us) and we play pictionary once or twice, because that is a tradition for us. s:

Boardgames might seem lame, but in the end, they are very fun to consider. I once was on the final block of Pictionary and this girl in our group was drawing a helmet. I couldn't for the life of me see it, so after I failed, she said "If we lose, I am going to kick the poopy out of you.".... Well, we lost, so I got up, ran into the bathroom and shut the door and locked it. She got up, I heard a door open and slam..... she ran OUT of the room thinking I was out in the hallway. xD..... She came back and was like "Wow! He can sure run fast!"

Will never forget that. xD.... Oh, and that one receipt we got back from a flamboyant waiter that said beside her meal "Not Yet Poopsie"..... oh God, I love Thursday night.
RolanMcDolan
Getting the hang of this...

Post by RolanMcDolan »

I probably won't attend the meetup (my gut tells me it'll be a sausage fest), but I do have one idea. Rather than having the name tag colors denote one's sexuality, wouldn't it be more efficient to just base the colors on what you're looking for? Red name tags could denote interest in women, blue tags could denote interest in men, and purple tags could denote interest in both.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

OMG that it an awesome idea. ^-^ And btw, I know at least 2 of the posters (myself included) are female. I think a lot more girls are looking for romance at a con then you think. ;)

So we will go with;
Blue for looking for men
Red for looking for female
Green for looking for either
Yellow for Unsure

M'kay?
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Rox3l wrote:OMG that it an awesome idea. ^-^ And btw, I know at least 2 of the posters (myself included) are female. I think a lot more girls are looking for romance at a con then you think. ;)

So we will go with;
Blue for looking for men
Yellow for Unsure

M'kay?
I thought something like that but didn't bother to post for some reason :lol: And I suggested my best friend should go to the singles meet up but she didn't say yes or no
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Rox3l wrote:OMG that it an awesome idea. ^-^ And btw, I know at least 2 of the posters (myself included) are female. I think a lot more girls are looking for romance at a con then you think. ;)

So we will go with;
Blue for looking for men
Yellow for Unsure

M'kay?

What about trans again? :p.... If someone is wearing blue, does that mean they are open to FtMs as well? :p...

Just tugging your leg, lol.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

To give you a serious answer, I think it really just comes down to the individual.

To give you a not serious answer, shush you. ;P
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

Or how about we say "frack it" to the tags?

If people aren't comfortable, then don't come?

Our own body language should be enough. If someone tries coming onto you that you're not comfortable with, just be polite about it.

Then again, that's just my opinion
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

That is another way to go. I just don't want someone to work up the courage to talk to someone only to be shot down on the premise of orientation and get discouraged. you usually can't tell a person's orientation by looking at them and in a same sex situation it can get a little awkward if the other person isn't exactly comfortable with the idea.
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

Rox3l wrote:That is another way to go. I just don't want someone to work up the courage to talk to someone only to be shot down on the premise of orientation and get discouraged. you usually can't tell a person's orientation by looking at them and in a same sex situation it can get a little awkward if the other person isn't exactly comfortable with the idea.
It's true that you can't tell by looking, but in that case, I think these hypothetical people might need to grow a thicker skin when it comes to approaching people and not getting the desired result, with all due respect. It's only awkward for the time it takes to apologize, say you didn't know, and move on. The same has to be done with straight people who decide to shoot down someone else for whatever reason.

But I'd vouch for color coding based on what gender is being sought, personally.
Silvershadow

Post by Silvershadow »

This sounds like a fun idea. I am definitely interested. When was the initial meetup being planned for? Thursday is quite a good time but some people will not be around until Friday. Also, the ball/ballroom lessons might be a good time to organize a meet up as well. Granted, it can be rather intimidating for some but it is honestly a great way to get to know someone by learning an activity together. Perhaps a meetup planned after the lessons?
"This is the world you've stuck yourself into, if you aren't strong enough to lead then you lose the privilege of getting what you want."
-Genkai (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

I was initially thinking of doing it on Thursday because it's a lot less busy then when the convention actually starts, but the dance lessons is an idea. We could even maybe plan going to the ball?
animegirl28
Experienced Poster

Post by animegirl28 »

I think you have to have tickets to go to the ball, don't you? And anyways, while the dance lessons area good idea, not everyone likes to dance. I am not one of those people, but I know a lot of my friends don't dance so I thought I'd bring it up. I think just meeting and hanging out at a set location might be better.
Silvershadow

Post by Silvershadow »

You have a very good point on the issue of the dance. I was suggesting it as an addition to the initial meet-up/hang out. Considering there are multiple days to use having a few meet ups might be nice so as to include those who could not get to/want to go to one or the other. I would agree Thursday is a good time to plan the initial meeting for. As for the ball you do have to pay for tickets, I believe they usually run about $3, but not for the lessons.
"This is the world you've stuck yourself into, if you aren't strong enough to lead then you lose the privilege of getting what you want."
-Genkai (Yu Yu Hakusho)
animegirl28
Experienced Poster

Post by animegirl28 »

Okay, yeah. I see how it might be a good idea in addition to other meetups. Thursday is a good time for meet-ups, though it may also be true that some people may not be around on Thursday yet, so it might also be a good idea to plan a meetup during con time, just because, like I said, not everyone is there yet on Thursdays and those people may include people who are interested in the meetup. Just a thought, though. The ideas I'm hearing are good, I really like them. I am really excited!
PaintandFreckles
I'm new!

Post by PaintandFreckles »

I would like to meet up with somebody, I have never gone to a singles meet up before but I would find it easier around people who like the same things I do.
Rukia4life
I'm new!

Post by Rukia4life »

I'm in!!!!!!
Wonder Twin

Post by Wonder Twin »

Provided that we won't be watching the hockey playoffs on Thursday, this is something that we (Wicked Anime) might like to cover for a story, if you'll have us. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Jonathan Fleming: Co-Host and Co-Creator of Wicked Anime
AB Press (2013 - )
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Wicked Anime:
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Websites:
Portfolio: http://jfleming3d.wordpress.com/
deviantArt: http://wonder-twin.deviantart.com/
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

o.0...interesting. I guess it would depend on how everyone else feels? I don't have a problem it, I guess.
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

Been a while since I looked here. Rox3l u have gotten a bunch of responses ^^ Also I think we have a mix group of gender interested in the event. As for the day.

I can understand why Thursday sounds good how the only thing most people are worried about is getting there badges and getting into their hotel rooms. The only other day I think we could do would be Friday night after major events. So a dinner type thing.
Its really hard how we all have varying interest and will be running back and forth from panels, workshops, events, shopping and seeing all our friends. I know that's how it is for me at the con, constantly checking my scheduled and making sure I get to see and hang out with all my friends.
We would really need to brainstorm and figure out may be based on votes what would work. Anything in the early morning wouldn't work and neither would during the day between all the things happening at the con and how we have no clue what the scheduled is going to be at the moment. Maybe put in for a vote at some point.

I also think we shouldn't be in cosplay for this. We want our possible "special someone" to at least know who we are from the beginning lol but if you happen to like dressing in lolita, goth or any other fashion style you like then go for it. You want people to like you for who you are so they would need some idea. Bring your anime bad with you, maybe that new plushy. Have a key ring with a bunch of anime characters. Wear that anime t-shirt or maybe u like wearing steampunk normally. These are can be great conversation starters for us that are shy(me)

Just remember no harsing or making fun of someone. We are also not going to judge anyone on what sex we are, what gender we are interested in, our body type or anything. This is for us to have a chance at meeting someone who would be interested in dating or at least make a new friend. Though am hopping for someone to date :P
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

I think if a "couple" hits it off they might want to do some event together. Ballroom dancing lessons can be fun and get laughs. I don't like dancing just because I never have a cause to do so, so I kind of suck at it and I've never been asked to dance so I stopped going. But if you meet someone it could be another way to get to know each other, still be in public but no longer in the Singles meet so it feels more personal. There are other work shops at the con that can also be other places to "break" some more ice as well.

Wicked Anime, I agree with Rox3l we would have to ask and maybe put it up for a vote. We don't want to make anyone uncomfortable we want this to be a relaxing and fun setting and experience with a chance of people meeting a special someone or new friend.
Flemtee
Expert Poster

Post by Flemtee »

Oh, of course! That's why we are posting here first, if anyone feels uncomfortable with it, feel free to say "No way fools!" We're easy like that. :] Also, just for an added bit of information for a definite yes or no, we conduct video interviews, but we like to chat and have some fun. We try to give as natural as a vibe as possible while also trying to be entertaining!

But this is a cool idea for a Thursday event.
Andrew Fleming
Co-Creator/Co-Host of Wicked Anime
AB '16 Press
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Website - http://stickfiguredomain.wordpress.com
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

So, I just want to put out there, as it stands now, I am leaning towards doing this on Thursday just for the fact Thursday has no events going on. Who knows for a fact they could not make it on Thursday?
animegirl28
Experienced Poster

Post by animegirl28 »

I am okay with the idea of Wicked Anime covering the event. As for Thursday, I can't say that I definitely couldn't go, but it would definitely be better for me to meet during the actual con days. I also don't have a hotel room, and for anyone else who doesn't but may want to come to this, we should make the event not too late. I agree that we are all busy going to panels and workshops and hanging out with friends and the like- but for those of us who don't have hotel rooms, we need to think about transportation back home (which for me is the train).
Silvershadow

Post by Silvershadow »

Thursday works great for me so count me in. I think DrakaDark's Friday dinner idea sounds like a good possibility as well. I have done other AB group gatherings and they did it at Wagamama which works well due to being right in the Pru, moderate prices, and it has a casual atmosphere. Did anyone end up creating a facebook page for this yet? The polls and all that might be easier to take on there if it is up. Not to mention, we would be able to see how many people are on board with this to thus plan the places accordingly.
-Genkai (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

Rox had made a fb page please go and join. Voting has been started up to figure out a date for the meet.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Good luck folks. :3
riadoc

Post by riadoc »

This sounds like an amazing idea. ive been going to AB for years now hoping to meet that special person so i would love to be a part of this
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

So, I'm really surprised that more people haven't joined the group on facebook. I'd think there would be more people interested to meet a potential love interest.
animegirl28
Experienced Poster

Post by animegirl28 »

Rox3l wrote:So, I'm really surprised that more people haven't joined the group on facebook. I'd think there would be more people interested to meet a potential love interest.
Yeah, you would think so. But apparently not. Maybe a lot of people don't look in this section of the forums. I don't know. There's also another facebook group about for Single's called "The Dunking Doughnuts Anime Boston Loner's Group 2012". Maybe if we let them know about this new group, we could have more people. They are a very small group as well.
SaetonChapelle

Post by SaetonChapelle »

I think something like this would be super fun. Often times I, as a female, go to the convention with a group of males, so many times advances from the opposite sex don't occur often. I find the prospect of this interesting, although I would be awfully nervous. xD
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

I find the prospect of find someone in general to be very intimidating. And I know what you mean, I hang out with guys regularly. So even if there were someone that might want to talk to me, they might be dismayed because you see a girl with a guy and you think they are together.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I'm interested.

I don't use Facebook so could someone recap what was decided?
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

I used to mostly hang out in an all male group though now a days I have a nice mix of female and male friends. I know where u are comming from, and so does Rox. I want to point out that though this is a singles meet its not a requirement to meet someone to hook up. This is also a great place to meet like minded people and make some new freinds
SaetonChapelle wrote:I think something like this would be super fun. Often times I, as a female, go to the convention with a group of males, so many times advances from the opposite sex don't occur often. I find the prospect of this interesting, although I would be awfully nervous. xD