Have you made friends at AB?

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
AniManiac
Getting the hang of this...

Have you made friends at AB?

Post by AniManiac »

This year was my first year going to AB and one of the goals I had set was to make acquaintances with someone... OH BOY DID I FAIL. I remember one person in particular cosplaying as Near had me thinking "I need him as a friend" ... My shyness got the best of me. :lol:

Has anybody made good friends at AB? How have you come across meeting people?

I did enjoy my small talk with people walking by though. XD
Live to Love and Laugh! Stay classy! :)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Re: Have you made friends at AB?

Post by Sayoria »

Hmm.... not really anyone knew that I didn't know before going to the con. There was one girl I met that I knew from these forums online. She was pretty full of energy. I also met my guild leader from White Knight Chronicles 2 at the masquerade. I also saw one of the AMV makers I talk to on the forums from time to time as well, and she had a friend with her. I guess he could count as new.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I made friends with this one girl cosplaying lightning while waiting for the masqurade, we thought she was fourteen when she was really much older, we laughed and it was great. I always end up finding one person every year that I don't kow that I chill with for long periods of time, never stay in touch though.
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I made a few friends at AB over the years and most of them I met either through hotel sharing or waiting in line for something. The key is to not be shy though I know it's hard. I ended up staying pretty good friends with one girl we helped find the registration since they had moved it back into the Sheraton in 2009 and we've been friends ever since. I also met two friends through sharing my hotel room with them and I still hang out with them at every con. I've also met people through the forums and then meet up with them at the con and have stayed friends with them.
It's fairly easy once you get out of your shell!
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I will say that I have made any friends this year since I don't look for that in the first place but I will say I have talked with a group while eating lunch in the food court. We ended up chatting while we ate. I found out that Bleach ended through them (probably be back someday), and I ended up showing them the Anime Boston 2011 Next Day Edit video on Youtube and a couple of pictures that I have taken (which I need to get posted soon.) All and all, even if you don't make any friends, you can should be able to enjoy some of the conversations with fellow con goers.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

masterofplush wrote:I made friends with this one girl cosplaying lightning while waiting for the masqurade, we thought she was fourteen when she was really much older, we laughed and it was great. I always end up finding one person every year that I don't kow that I chill with for long periods of time, never stay in touch though.
Lol, same with me, though one year, I actually did get someone in contact. It was when my team won a Team Trivia gameshow, we all exchanged emails, though we only still keep in contact with one of the three. This year's event, I came across two people. One in the dealers room, some guy asked for my picture, and then a hug. After that, there was an awkward silence, and we made our way. He caught back up to me, and asked, "Are you a guy?".... I told him yep, and we started talking some. Met up with him again on Saturday, but never kept in contact. Other guy this year, I was playing Family Feud, and the leader of my team seemed to have trust in my knowledge of anime and such. Later on on Saturday night, he saw me walking by the Hentai Dubbing line and shot a rubber band at me. Sort of exchanged a few quick greetings, then I made my way off to extreme geek. No contact again.

But the experiences are ones that make it all worth it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Kico_kun
Experienced Poster

Post by Kico_kun »

I guess o.0. I talked to a few people

An Ichigo and Android 17 while waiting in line for the Kanako Itou Concert
A Yoko and a Shana in the shop area
A Inori on the 3rd floor ect
A Lloyd Irving (forgot where didn't really talk much though)
Talked to a few people in the Haruko Momoi line that were pretty awesome too. (One even had the card game that was used in steins:gate)

And a few others.

Im not the type to freely give out personal info and it seems they aren't either so I doubt keeping in touch is a possibility. The chances of me seeing them again are slim to none =(. Heres hoping for a "miracle"
SaetonChapelle
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SaetonChapelle »

I really haven't made any friends, which is sad. I've attended for many years, but besides getting pictures, no one really wants to stop and chat. I don't attend panels too often, and I don't have any meetups. T_T
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I did. I met a nice guy I swapped with at AB 2011. We ran into each other again at AB2012 and I'm hoping to make it an annual thing this year. My Clannad panel will beo n Sunday this year so here's hoping I'll be able to actually go to it there =D
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
thewhimsywizard
AB Alumni

Post by thewhimsywizard »

I'm so super shy, like I'll so badly wanna approach people an tell them their cosplay is great or see someone with cool pins but oh my gosh I just sort of stay where I am and blush at the floor at the thought of approaching someone. ;-; I so badly wanna make some new friends though.
Kara (Kai) Marston
Creative Technical Staff
FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Post by FarFromRedemption »

I've made a bunch of friends at AB and at other cons.

@Karawr- You maybe shy, but remember that pretty much everybody at the con has something in common with you either cosplay, anime, video games, ect..So you can feel better knowing that you at least have a common topic to talk about. Most people are pretty friendly at the cons and if they aren't well then you probably don't wan them as friends. Start off the conversation simple like "I like your costume. could I take a picture of you?" that will let you gage how friendly they are based on their reply. ^-^
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Boy, did I. I used to be incredibly shy; in fact, at AB10, my very first con ever, we saw some Dark Magicians holding up "Free Hug!" signs, and my mom wanted my friend and I to go hug them, but I said "No, that's not meant for us." >.< Oh, what a newb I was.
Going into the Hynes, someone called out to me, and if it wasn't Darkvyes88 from right here on the forums! :P We were both dressed as The Sorrow from Metal Gear Solid 3, and he told me about the MGS photoshoot and where to go and when. I was so overwhelmed with giddiness that as he was leaving, I ended up shouting "I love you!" and he called back "I love you too!" Squee xD
Fast-forward to the photoshoot.... I was not expecting so many GOOD costumes! My friend I dragged along as Naked Snake, I threw a costume at her the night before and said "Get in the car, we're going to Boston!" :lol: We didn't realize until at the con she was wearing a German uniform ._. Since we were such newbs, no one else paid us much mind, in fact, we were about to leave when THE Big Boss (you all know who I'm talking about BD) showed up and included us right in on the conversation!
Big Boss and I made such good friends, to this day he calls me at least 4 times a week just to chitchat! And that's not even paying much mind to everyone else in the Metal Gear family I've made such good friends with! :D

(woot, woot, wall of text!)
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)