Will I be shunned if I'm not that into anime?

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
ARagingClue
Getting the hang of this...

Will I be shunned if I'm not that into anime?

Post by ARagingClue »

I'm mainly going because my friend loves anime and I just like dressing up and meeting new people. I don't have anything against anime at all (I loved Dragonballs as a kid if that counts as anime), I've just never gotten into it.

This is my first time going to a convention and even though I'm an adult, I'm feeling like an awkward middle schooler before a dance. Will convention-goers find me dull, out-of-place, or even disrespectful if they find out that I don't get their anime references or if I don't recognize their cosplays? My friend and I are cosplaying South Park (which she says isn't uncommon at anime conventions), but will everyone just be like "Why in the heck is she here?" when I arrive? How can I prepare for this?
Sayoria
AB Staff

Re: Will I be shunned if I'm not that into anime?

Post by Sayoria »

Not at all. Only non-friendly people I ever see are non-con goers. Heck, I have seen Doctor Who, Nyan Cat, My little pony, Disney Princesses, South Park (Yep), US soldiers, and so many other non-anime cosplay. You will be accepted, don't worry. Hell, we have even had a Jesus cosplayer for a few years who lead conga lines. Haven't seen him for a while now though.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

As one adult to another, let me just say that if you're friendly and polite, and like meeting new people, strangers tend to reply in kind. You mention that you liked Dragonball as a kid...well, I've just reviewed the video schedule, and I see a number of titles aimed at more mature audiences. You may want to go to a few screenings; you might find something you like. ;)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
ARagingClue

Post by ARagingClue »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:Not at all. Only non-friendly people I ever see are non-con goers. Heck, I have seen Doctor Who, Nyan Cat, My little pony, Disney Princesses, South Park (Yep), US soldiers, and so many other non-anime cosplay. You will be accepted, don't worry. Hell, we have even had a Jesus cosplayer for a few years who lead conga lines. Haven't seen him for a while now though.
Thank you so much for the reassurance! I feel so much better now! :) But I will try and do a little research to brush up on my anime knowledge. I went to Japan on an exchange trip in 8th grade and I adore the Japanese culture, but my host-sister wasn't a big anime fan so I just really never got into it...other than Junjou Romantica... xD
ARagingClue

Post by ARagingClue »

Master of NERV wrote:As one adult to another, let me just say that if you're friendly and polite, and like meeting new people, strangers tend to reply in kind. You mention that you liked Dragonball as a kid...well, I've just reviewed the video schedule, and I see a number of titles aimed at more mature audiences. You may want to go to a few screenings; you might find something you like. ;)
Yeah...I was a bit of a tomboy, so I was really into the fighting. xD But I watched it again a couple of months ago and I was sort of like "...where's the plot?" Maybe that's just the 'Americanized' version. Anyway, I'd love to find some anime that I like. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. :)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

You should be completely fine. Last year, I saw Master Chief, Minecraft, and Buzz Lightyear so going as a non-anime character is no problem. As for getting anime references, even if you don't understand it at the time, the con-goers will most likely explain it to you. I think we are all used to explaining as we technically have to explain why everyone is in costumes out in the Pru.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

ARagingClue wrote:
Master of NERV wrote:As one adult to another, let me just say that if you're friendly and polite, and like meeting new people, strangers tend to reply in kind. You mention that you liked Dragonball as a kid...well, I've just reviewed the video schedule, and I see a number of titles aimed at more mature audiences. You may want to go to a few screenings; you might find something you like. ;)
Yeah...I was a bit of a tomboy, so I was really into the fighting. xD But I watched it again a couple of months ago and I was sort of like "...where's the plot?" Maybe that's just the 'Americanized' version. Anyway, I'd love to find some anime that I like. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. :)
Before I offer a few suggestions, please be aware that when TV series/multi-part OVAs are screened at AB, the standard practice is to run the first DVD/Blu-ray in the set. The idea's this: if you find you like something, it's often available in the dealers room. (I've lost track of the number of series I've bought like this...)

Now for the list...it's to my own taste, of course, and I'm only mentioning titles that I've seen:

Trigun (like a western on an alien planet in the far future, but there's more to it than that...)
Genshiken (a slice-of-life show of college-age Japanese okaku, with a comic bent)
Utena (an intriguing, almost surreal shojo classic)
Gasaraki (a title I've described as "the thinking man's mecha show")
Chobits (a little risque, a lot of cute, but with a lot of heartbreak)
Dance in the Vampire Bund (caution: this is clearly a lolicon title)
Iria (a taut, hunter-and-hunted tale; this title should be shown complete at AB screening)
Outlaw Star (a sci/fi-adventure classic)
Cowboy Bebop (another sci/fi adventure classic, but in a very different way)
Gunslinger Girl (genuinely disturbing tale of pre-pubescent cyborg assassins, played almost too realistically)
5 Centimeters Per Second (really requires an adult to fully appreciate; also, another title you can see beginning to end)

Hope this helps!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

To add to Master's Master list there:

Detective Conan: My brother who doesn't even like anime loves it. The series is a mystery show, that gets you really hooked into each and every episode. The way the killers have ploitted out their murders get you worried about if the original creator of the series wanted to do some killing of his own.

Anohana: A short 12 or so episode anime that really hits back to childhoods....especially if you played Pokemon with friends, or you and your old friends have grown apart. It's about the ghost of a girl who is trying to reunite her friends together after 10 years.

Great Teacher Onizuka: Oldie but goodie. It's about an ex-gang member who tends to be a bit wild, landing a job as a teacher. Everyone at first hates him. Students, Teachers, Assistant Principals, and more, but he teaches them all through tough love, not to screw with him. Very funny show.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu: Full Metal Panic is good, but if you aren't into mech shows, I recommend this first. I myself don't like mech shows, but I gave this a run, since it is a more high school comedy with 15 minute episodes packed into an hour, and I couldn't stop laughing. Sousuke, a guy who eats, breaths, and sleeps military, who knows NOTHING about love, or average school life, constantly doing stupid things where Kaname, the class president, is always there to beat the living hell out of him. (Example.....arcade. He plays one of those rail shooter games with the plastic guns. He runs out of ammo, gets tense, pulls out his real gun, and shoots the machine. Good times, good times.)

Lastly, I want to Recommend Clannad After Story, but to do that, you would have to watch Clannad to get a character introduction, which, I personally did not like. Clannad After Story though, is a drama so serious, it would make the toughest of hearts cry.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Anime conventions aren't really a place for too much hate. Just don't be annoying and respect other's opinions and other's space. I'd bring non anime fan friends with me all the time because they'd just like to know what it's like. They've all had a really fun time, but they all kinda wanted to dress up at least a little. But we're all friendly.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
GuyWithTheFace
Experienced Poster

Post by GuyWithTheFace »

I wouldn't worry about it too much, most anime con-goers either fall into the generally chill or somewhat hyperactive/very excited categories (sometimes even both) and though there might be one or two extremely hardcore anime fans, you probably won't run into them (as they are too busy lining up hours early for a major event or panel, ripping through the Dealer's Room and/or Artist Alley, or doing normal people stuff). A lot of the people I know too don't go for the anime but go for the gaming aspect of it, although since AB is sharing its week-end with PAX East there probably won't be as many people in the "gamer" crowd hanging out. In conclusion, don't worry about it too much, it's just pre-con jitters (like me trying to decide what costume to wear what day).

Also to add more to this growing list:

Cromartie High School: A different spin and somewhat of a parody of a stereotypical high school animes, Cromartie High is about Takashi Kamiyama, the average 16 year old who started attending at a high school full of delinquents and self-proclaimed "badasses" and how he fits in. It's really nothing like what you'd expect out of an high school anime and there's no female love interest or over arching enemy. Instead, you have a mute Freddie Mercury look-a-like, a gorilla, and a robot that doesn't realize he isn't human. The humor is slapstick and random but I find it great. Also for some reason, despite its clearly low animation budget, Cro High has the best English dub ever. 10 minute long episodes in a 26 episode season.

Cromartie High School - Episode 1

Persona 4: The Animation: An anime based off of the JRPG Persona 4 for the PS2, I believe the show just recently wrapped up. If you haven't played the video game for it, it's a combination of supernatural murder-mysteries, high school life, televisions, and is heavily influenced by Carl Jung. I find it has a good mixture of action, slice of life, and is thought provoking at times.

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control: It's almost like Persona, but with economics, ATM machines, credit cards, money, and "the future". Also a thought-provoking discourse on the nature of money in society and is action-packed too. Sadly, it's only 11 episodes long and leaves you wanting more at the end, but a good watch. The Japanese version also has instances of near-perfect English (note: not Engrishu), which I thought was amazing.

Bodacious Space Pirates: Go on, tell me you're not curious.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (TTGL): If you thought Dragonball and DBZ had a lot of over the top fighting and ridiculous power levels, wait until you watch Gurren Lagann. Although it was initially a parody of the mecha genre, TTGL evolved into a coming of age tale of a young boy set in a post-apocalyptic world. I find it is incredibly [ridiculously] inspiring and helps me whenever I'm in a slump. If you're going to watch anything on my list, I definitely recommend checking this out. Also drills.
buttercup
I'm new!

Post by buttercup »

im going as buttercup from the powerpuff girls <3
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

buttercup wrote:im going as buttercup from the powerpuff girls <3
Now, will it be the original Buttercup from Powerpuff Girls or Buttercup from Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z?
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
KBoston

Post by KBoston »

Don't worry about not being all that into anime. I like some of it but I'm not into it as much as other people.
schraffster
AB Alumni

Post by schraffster »

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who worried about this sort of thing! But yeah, suffice to say if you're the sort of person who would be interested in going to AB... you'll fit in at AB. I enjoy anime, although my core nerd forcuses lay elsewhere. But like someone else in this thread said, I think you'll find it's just going to be a good time. My friends and I are doing a group Doctor Who cosplay (which is going to rock BTW, keep your eyes peeled~)...
Bill Schraffenberger
Masquerade Staff (2015-2020)
Hall of Cosplay (2014)
Information Desk (2013)
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Konnichiwa, I have a friend who is a Hayao Miyazaki fan, and she's told me she would love to attend AB, just to sit and watch all the cosplayers walk by. :D :D

Might I add a few to the list of anime series as well, the following:

"Serial Experiments Lain": series about a 13-year-old girl named Lain, whose classmate commits suicide. Lain soon afterwards receives an e-mail from the dead girl, telling her she really isn't dead, that she's just abandoned her body...

"Death Note": series about a bright but bored high school student named Yagami Light who finds a Death Note that a Shinigami named Ryuk dropped. When you write a person's name in the Death Note, that person dies, and Light wants to rid the world of all evil/criminals using it. However, he's being tailed by the detective known as L. Each considers themselves justice...which side will prevail?

"Kakurenbo": 1/2 hour movie about a dangerous game of hide-and seek...XD

"Le Chevalier D'Eon": If you're into history, this series takes place during the time when King Louis XV reigned France. It's based on the story of D'Eon de Beaumont.

"Gankutsuouo: The Count Of Monte Cristo": series very loosely based on the story "The Count Of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas.
Flemtee
Expert Poster

Post by Flemtee »

One of our friends came last year because she was jealous that everyone was hanging out at AB, but she didn't know anything about anime nor was she interested in it. We told her to come and give it a try and she showed up later on Friday. She had such a blast that her parents gifted her a pass for the next day! Still not much of an anime fan, more just used to it because of all of us, she's joining us the whole weekend this year, preregistered and all! It was such a blast even though she had no fandom to follow.

So even if you aren't into the culture, there are plenty of things to see and do that allow you to have a great time, as well as having the company of good friends! :]
Andrew Fleming
Co-Creator/Co-Host of Wicked Anime
AB '16 Press
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Website - http://stickfiguredomain.wordpress.com
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:
Lastly, I want to Recommend Clannad After Story, but to do that, you would have to watch Clannad to get a character introduction, which, I personally did not like. Clannad After Story though, is a drama so serious, it would make the toughest of hearts cry.
Really?

Most people I've talked to said they liked Season 1 more than Season 2 (After Story). I like both seasons evenly because of the focus each of them provides. Also you really should not watch After Story without having watched Season 1 first.

Speaking of Clannad: My Panel on Clannad will be back this year at Anime Boston. It will be Saturday from 8:00PM to 9:00PM in room 202. Come check it out if you can =D
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
hg revolution
Veteran Poster

Post by hg revolution »

There will be some South Park at my Anime in the West: Parodies and References panel Friday at 10:30am. If you're there early enough, be sure to come!

Of the stuff on the video schedule, my top recommendations for newbs would probably be Tiger and Bunny( heavily inspired by American superhero comics mixed with a parody of reality TV, and just a touch of slash, which I'm guessing appeals to you if you liked Jungo Romantica), Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (basically Japan making an American cartoon, with influences ranging from Powerpuff Girls to Ren and Stimpy to South Park), and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (very artfully done mature crime thriller with a sense of humor).