Secretly hoping to meet "that special someone"?

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Re: Secretly hoping to meet "that special someone"?

Post by bookishfreak »

Hahah well, I'm not gonna lie, I have thought about how cool it would be to meet a "special someone" at Anime Boston. It would save me having to tell them that I'm a geek. :)
Nightkid
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Nightkid »

I actually did meet a girl at the Friday dance, she didn't know how to dance so I taught her, I felt a connection I haven't felt in a long time, but when it was over I didn't get her name, all I know is that she's Chinese and she wore a grey shirt, and before I left I gave her a card that has the flash on it to remember me by,I. Really wish I can see her again but that will never happen, but I will always remember this anime Boston night when the song I'm glad you came, played I looked into her eyes,i wish im in one of those love movies where i find the girl but that doesnt happen in real life
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I always go to the con hoping maybe to at least ask for contact info, but alas I always chicken out, though for what its worth I have a slightly harder time being a lesbian, i don't want to offend.

This year I came really close though to asking for a female kiba's number as she was staying in our hotel and she admitted to being a lesbian. When she did I kinda blanked because I was in the middle of admiring her good looks... God I wish I had she was awesome.
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

^ There is a lesbian....(well, now she calls herself Bi, but for the first 2-3 years of AB, she said Lesbian) in my group, and there have been times she has been with other girls. From what I see, she tends to meet them prior to the con, and use the con as a meetup that way. Get the whole sexual orientation out of the way online, then have the whole con to get to know them more and see if something sparks those other three days..... but of course, you have to find those people first.

I recommend, before next year comes around, but later into this year, or early into next year, maybe make a GLB meetup thread, much like the 21+ thread, and create a group mingle, maybe everyone could go out to eat on Thursday night, and everyone in the group could get to know eachother, and with it known on the forums, everyone will be, as they say "Out of the closet", and the con will start/kickstart without having to feel that bit of awkwardness about the orientation thing and having to guess if someone is gay or straight.

Just an idea.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Shizuma

Post by Shizuma »

That would be a good idea, heck even if just to make new friends who are in the LGBT community and also into cosplay/anime/manga, almost all the people in that community that are also into anime that I know are ex girlfriends.
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

That's a good idea I need to implement it for next year, meeting new people is always fun. Despite being a lesbian I actually have had little interaction with the LGBT community and recently I've been trying to find way to do so in my own way (I'm 18 so the drinking scene is out, and I am painfully shy when alone in large groups). I honestly don't know any lesbians about my age so it can be difficult some times.

I will probably start the topic a month or two before hand just to make sure people have time to plan.
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I am sure you could arrange a get-together without drinking involved, or very optional. A dinner is very ideal IMO. The last few years, my friends and I have been eating at Unos for example. You CAN get a drink if you are the right age, but you don't need to be 21+ to eat there obviously.

The way I see it, there ARE alot of gay/lesbian/bi attenders at Anime Boston that probably have the same issue you are having. They want to meet people, but just don't have a way to. Look at a few restaurants in the area, and seriously, make a thread, get some hype for the event, and have people vote on where they would like to meet up for a dinner. Thursday night, everyone is eating, having a good time, talking to eachother and getting to know eachother, and before you know it, even some of the loners will have people to hang out with all weekend. It is a win-win situation for more ways than one, so give it serious consideration. If you plan to start it, just don't do it too late.
izzysanime

Post by izzysanime »

bookishfreak wrote:Hahah well, I'm not gonna lie, I have thought about how cool it would be to meet a "special someone" at Anime Boston. It would save me having to tell them that I'm a geek. :)
Me too!

Has anyone thought about making a meetup event for this specific hope? I know this is an old post from 2012 but could still work for 2013?
If anyone is interested, I would be willing to setup the event.
Josh (izzysanime)
Blog : http://izzysanime.wareriver.com/
FB : http://www.facebook.com/izzysanime
My Current Favorite Anime/Games:
Blue Exorcist | Sword Art Online | Tales Of Graces | Xenoblade | The Last Story
Don Julio
Expert Poster

Post by Don Julio »

i wont lie i sometimes go wondering im a hopeless romantic
ash_link

Post by ash_link »

AmericanStandard wrote:i think it'll be easier if i was in cosplay. then we'd have a common interest and can build for there.

overall, it didnt happen :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLReh7G8ryg THIS ONE FOR YOU HOMY
ClockworkCat
Experienced Poster

Post by ClockworkCat »

Sounds cute to me, but I don't want to go to the convention with the mindset of, "HERMAHGERD IF I DON'T MEET MY WAIFU HERE MY KOKORO'S GUNNA BL0!!!11".

I'll go to go, and if chance should have I meet someone I like then that'd be pretty cool, right? I want to make friends on here and meet up, though. Like definitely it's on my to-do list.
Alyss
Expert Poster

Post by Alyss »

Hmmm it has a nice ring to it, developing otaku love( ´ ▽ ` )ノ when I go to a con I never really look for a relationship but I think the idea of getting to know someone from a con and getting to be a couple would be really fun! I am way to much of a shy girl for it though well at least initiating contact at least (#^.^#)
(`・ω・´) ANIME BOSTON 2016 (`・ω・´)
Friday Wedding Maki
Saturday: Weiss schnee (RWBY)
Sunday: Love live school uniform ( Maki or Kotori)

My Tumblr:
http://tsukimii-chan.tumblr.com/
StarlightFox5
I'm new!

Post by StarlightFox5 »

Well, for me the first few years of Anime Boston was just about having fun and meeting people who get me. However it would be nice to have a girlfriend who doesn't hate that I like anime. I usually end up dating girls who think it's silly, and I think it would be awesome to have a girlfriend who actually likes anime too. Or even just video games. So at the 2011 con I did kinda search around, I got too shy though... Then I couldn't go to the 2012 con because I was sick. So for this year, my goal is to have fun, finally go into the 18+ areas, and if I meet that special girl along the way, then it's just icing on the cake :3 It really is hard being a lesbian in high school though, because girls are either closeted and you need to sneak around, or they're just experimenting. This is late, but whatever. Hope I see all of you at the 2013 con!! x3 (PS: I'll be cosplaying as Ryōko Ōkami from Okami-san and her seven companions!)
"Truth had gone, truth had gone, and truth had gone. Ah, now truth is asleep in the darkness of the sinister hand."
dragonblood0
I'm new!

Post by dragonblood0 »

I have never gone to a con expecting something. I mean, I would love for it to happen. It would be so very nice to meet someone to cosplay with and eventually fall in love. But reality is that it likely wouldn't happen.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Back when I first started attending AB and cons in general, I considered myself too young and really didn't care about finding a relationship. Lately, I do find myself secretly wishing that I could meet someone at a convention, mainly because I feel like I don't have very much in common with people who don't go to cons or haven't been to one...And, while I have met people I've liked in the past, it never went beyond friendship because I live in the middle of nowhere and it seems like no one who goes to cons lives even remotely close to me. It's fine, though, because cons are way too fun for me to spend too much time worrying about that sort of thing.

At-con relationships are a bad idea because three or four days is absolutely not a sufficient amount of time to get to know someone and form a relationship. They are fine if you are just looking for fun and don't really have any high expectations though, I guess.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
PaintandFreckles
I'm new!

Post by PaintandFreckles »

I have never gone to a con to meet a boyfriend but just to have a fun time. of course if I did meet someone I would be attracted to I wouldn't mind. Sometimes I am a bit of a romantic at heart.
Kagamine Kotarou

Post by Kagamine Kotarou »

It has happened to me once during Otakon last year, but that relationship ended. It was a good relationship, but distance triumphed this time around. I will admit that I'm still hoping to find someone, but I don't expect it to happen and I think it's best not to think about it or you'll get disappointed. What I'm mostly hoping for is that I'll find a cosplay partner, but as a friend pointed out to me, finding a cosplay partner is a lot like finding a girlfriend...unfortunately...
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you all that haven't seen my Singles thread that we do have a plan for 2013 to do a singles meetup. The Facebook group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/162615543890676/

So those of you hoping to find some lovin', or at least some new friends, should check it out. xD
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
KydWykkyd

Post by KydWykkyd »

Nightkid wrote:I actually did meet a girl at the Friday dance, she didn't know how to dance so I taught her, I felt a connection I haven't felt in a long time, but when it was over I didn't get her name, all I know is that she's Chinese and she wore a grey shirt, and before I left I gave her a card that has the flash on it to remember me by,I. Really wish I can see her again but that will never happen, but I will always remember this anime Boston night when the song I'm glad you came, played I looked into her eyes,i wish im in one of those love movies where i find the girl but that doesnt happen in real life
Hopefully it's not the same girl I know and am crushing over, was she about 5' tall, pale skin, short hair & glasses?
SaetonChapelle

Post by SaetonChapelle »

I think thank would be just lovely, but for me, unlikely. I always travel with a group of males, so for a random guy to just come up and greet me probably isn't very likely. Sigh~ Oh the single life
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

^ How many males?..... Are they just friends?.... because there's probably a chance one of them already likes you.
SaetonChapelle

Post by SaetonChapelle »

Ha.Well I'm the only female of usually eight or nine. Been that way for quite a many years. Most of them are my friends friends, so we don't know each other well. Besides rooming together we have little contact. Looking for something a little different without their interference, intentional or not. ^^
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Lol, well, the way guys tend to think, with the amount of them that you are around, there is probably a few that HAVE given you eye before. >.>.... Probably.

Anywho, best bet for this kind of thing is probably the formal ball. Go there, however, without someone you are taking, you may or may not be leaving with someone else. People couple up and go together, but I bet there are many that go in hopes of meeting a guy or girl. x:

Either way, good luck!