The 18+ AB Experience

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
hidingfromyou727
Veteran Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by hidingfromyou727 »

I've come to AB in previous years...but now i'm..dun dun dun... 18! :P I'm looking to see what I've been missing out on and want to know what i should do or see at AB this year that I formerly wasn't allowed to. I want to know experiences at the con when you were 18+, so that i can be pumped up to experience ALL of AB'11. Hopefully any other newbies to being 18 at cons will get in on this too...im sure you guys have questions as well. I would love to meet up with people too that also have yet to see EVERYTHING at AB, (meaning this will be your first year at a con being 18). :)
thanks guys! ;)
Sayoria
AB Staff

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by Sayoria »

Don't anticipate too too much. I, and even all my friends.....before we hit 18, we were interested in the full she-bang of the con, but we are in our early 20s (Me 23 now) and ever since, we have only visited one 18+ event, and didn't even stay the whole thing, haha. (Not that others won't, just, you know...)

Con feels too dead once the 18+ events start up, so I suppose we all just lost the hype at that time of night.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I don't attend many 18+ events but one I do recommend is 18+ Dating Game. It's hysterical and never fails to entertain. (Sadly I haven't gone in 2 years due to other programming) If you do go though, I recommend showing up extra early because last time I made a go for it 2 years ago, the line was ridiculous and it gets bigger every year.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
hidingfromyou727
Veteran Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

yea me and my one friend are really excited for the dating game :) ive heard its really funny. is there any outside places to go for the 18+ crowd? like clubs you like or stuff?
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I'm not a big clubber and all the places I go to outside are bars since I'm over 21. Sorry I can't really help you there.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
BlE3dinglurve69
Expert Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by BlE3dinglurve69 »

you should go to the dance then.
Anime Boston 2012
Dante - DMC3
Vasto Lorde Ichigo - Bleach
Sebastian Michaelis- kuroshitsuji
danim
AB Alumni

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by danim »

I second the 18+ dating game. I've gone every year since I turned 18 (I'm 21 now).

Also, last year was the first year I went to a LOT of 18+ panels. I actually find the con very enjoyable that time of night. Don't get me wrong, I love the people and the craziness and the crowds but sometimes it's nice to not have to squeeze through thousands of people.

I forget which Hentai panel I went to (it was not the dubbing) but it was hysterical! Now, I'm not a hentai watcher but the way the panel was run and the specific clips they chose to show were so strange and messed up I couldn't stop laughing. If the title is interesting, give it a go if you have nothing else planned :)
RozoMazzo
Experienced Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by RozoMazzo »

Last edited by RozoMazzo on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hidingfromyou727
Veteran Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

@danim- hah thanks :P i did want to go to the dubbing panels... i heard they were good too

@john- yea but i dont need to go to bars now do i? ;)
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by Phantom 1 »

Can any Massachusetts 18+ ers confirm or deny this for me: that if you go to a bar and you're from out of state, you have to be a little bit older to buy alcoholic drinks?
suiaerl
Expert Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by suiaerl »

Unfortunately I've never really gone to many of the 18+ con events at AB (Did a few at other cons). The 18+ dating games are generally really good, my friends who have gone to the hentai dub the last 2 or so years say it's always one of their favorite events, and is the most hilarious thing they do there. Hoping to actually get to see it this year myself
Sayoria
AB Staff

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by Sayoria »

Well, come to think of it, someone confirmed to me about one of the 18+ events I was interested in. Back when we turned 18, we went to Hentai Dubbing. We expected it to be just as it sounds......people in the audience, going up, and acting out the Hentai skits, voicing them over. We thought it could be hilarious if it was as it sounded, but when we went, we were there for about 30 minutes, nothing happened, and we left.

Someone on these boards here tells me that they DO do that....so, maybe they just had a long opening? I dunno. Either way, MIGHT give it a try again this year, if they DO dub over hentai.
hidingfromyou727
Veteran Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

ill definitely go to this! haha it sounds cool.
@yukito- ugh that sucks hopefully they dont do that this year
RozoMazzo
Experienced Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by RozoMazzo »

Last edited by RozoMazzo on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hidingfromyou727
Veteran Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

@phantom- looks like you might as well bring your own

so no one really knows of any clubs nearby?
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by Phantom 1 »

Thanks, Unlimited Brigade. Fortunately I'm 29 so I'm safe.

hidingfromyou, unfortunately bringing my own isn't an option for me because A: I do not have a car and B: I have nothing to store the beverages in question during transit.
danim
AB Alumni

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by danim »

[quote=UnlimitedBrigade]@Phantom

I'm not sure about the bars, but if you're trying to buy it in Massachusetts and you're from out of state, you have to be 25+.

Most sellers will let it slide most of the time though.[/quote]

I didn't know that was the case. I've never had an issue in MA and my liquor store is in MA and I've gotten drinks on multiple occassions and I'm only 21.
RozoMazzo
Experienced Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by RozoMazzo »

Last edited by RozoMazzo on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by kamahlrf »

@hidingfromyou

Regarding the Hentai Dubbing, it's always run by the same people, and the first 30 mins or so is filled with pretty funny clips from previous years and the company's work that runs it. It's a pretty good laugh, but sticking around for the actual dubbing part is worth the wait.

The bad part about it is its basically Whos Line Is It Anyway. They just pick random members out of the crowd and it is basically hit/miss depending completely on the entire person's ability to make it entertaining. It usually doesn't fail, but this'll be my fourth time attending the Hentai Dubbing and I still look forward to it already. It usually is smack dab in the middle of the 18+ Dating Game though, so I may skip it this year to go see that instead :P

Regarding alcohol, I turned 21 shortly before the con last year and had no problem being served alcohol at any of the restaurants/bars I visited and I am from NY. So maybe it is just based around the establishment?
acexl
Getting the hang of this...

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by acexl »

i am 22 but this is my second time attending a con, last year i wasn't able to stay for the 18+ events because i live in RI and trains don't run too late, this year i am planning to stay in town and experience everything. so i would love to meet with new people and goof around.

if you are looking for a club like environment last year they had a dance room (you can't drink or anything) but the music is good everyone is dancing and jumping around, it's pretty kool; specially if you are "happy" before hand ;). i was only there for like 40 mins before i had to catch my train though sat. i couldn't even attend
TetraMaster
Experienced Poster

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by TetraMaster »

What other 18+ events are there?
jellyfox
AB Alumni

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by jellyfox »

[quote=TetraMaster]What other 18+ events are there?[/quote]

Full schedule is online http://www.animeboston.com/events/schedule/
Celonic

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by Celonic »

ya haham this is my first con ever to begin with, and im 19, so ill probally be checking out most of the stuff all day/night.
deadlyfishes

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by deadlyfishes »

Hey guys! I've been going to school at Berklee College of Music for about 3 years now and I know a lot of about the city. I know some fun places for 18-20, and of course 21+ since I am 22 now.

I do have to say that grocery stores won't accept out of state licenses if you're under 25, unless you have a Passport or something. Usually in bars, they just want to make sure you're of age. Even in my home state in Virginia they think my license is fake because I look like I'm 18 or something, so I always bring my Passport if I want to drink in Massachusetts. I've posted in another thread opening up my apartment for people to stay if they can't afford a hotel, I'm still reading everyone's messages, but I am more than willing to show people around town if they have the time.

AIM- deadlyfishes07

More info on my website in my sig:
| Matthew Pablo | Video game/Film Composer |

Panels: "Evolution of Video Game Music"
Otakon 2010
AUSA 2010
Anime Boston 2010
Animazement 2010
Katsucon 2011

Panel/Workshop: "Let's Make Video Game Music!"
Otakon 2011
Katsucon 2012
Anime Boston 2012
Official Website: http://www.matthewpablo.com
Sayoria
AB Staff

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by Sayoria »

Very cool. :) ... I play games myself, where would I see your work? What games?
deadlyfishes

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by deadlyfishes »

Mostly indie games, but I'm working with the company who made "Angry Birds"

My music and work can be heard on my website in my sig. Scroll over "audio" to see the genres you can listen to.
| Matthew Pablo | Video game/Film Composer |

Panels: "Evolution of Video Game Music"
Otakon 2010
AUSA 2010
Anime Boston 2010
Animazement 2010
Katsucon 2011

Panel/Workshop: "Let's Make Video Game Music!"
Otakon 2011
Katsucon 2012
Anime Boston 2012
Official Website: http://www.matthewpablo.com
danim
AB Alumni

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by danim »

@deadlyfishes
Hi! We are now facebook friends :) I work in the city so if you want to meet up and hang out sometime before AB that could be a lot of fun! My work isn't far from your school.

As a note for everyone hear, I've heard more than once that they don't accept out of state IDs for people under the age of 25. I turned 21 in September and in Boston and have gotten Mikes Hard Lemonade once from Shaws and have gotten a couple of cocktails at some restaurants and I have not had a problem with my [color:black]RHODE ISLAND ID[/color]. I assume it's because RI is so close that they are OK with it. I don't know if it will work the same for other states. Just an FYI for others here :)

ZeroSnake

The 18+ AB Experience

Post by ZeroSnake »

Yeah now I'm 18 I can't wait >.<