Visiting from Minnesota! Suggestions?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
AxelisMyHomeboy
Experienced Poster

Post by AxelisMyHomeboy »

Hello there! I was excited to learn this year that Anime Boston falls on the time that I'll be doing college visits over spring break, so here I am all the way from Minnesota to attend. XD I'm excited to go to another con outside of Anime Detour back in MN (which is peanuts in attendance compared to this con. o_o;; ).

I was just wondering what's around the hotel to see, like restaurants, etc. I've never been to Boston before, and I don't want my poor dad to have to sit in the hotel room the entire time I'm down at the con. XD Any suggestions?
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

If the weather's holding up, it's a nice walk from the convention center down Newbury street to the Common/Public Garden, at which point you can pick up the freedom trail and walk around to historic sites in Boston.
If you want a tour without the walking, there are trolley, bus, and amphibious vehicle tours as well.
There are theaters (movie and otherwise) and art museums (Museum of Fine Arts and the Institute of Contemporary Art) all accessible by T. You can take a tour of the state house. Even the Boston Public Library is cool to look around in.
You can take the T to a rock climbing gym in Everett if you want to get out of the city for a few hours.
There are plenty of restaurants around, if you want more specific suggestions I'm sure others on the forum can help with that. There's good ice cream around too, JP Licks on Newbury st is 5 minutes from AB, Toscanini's is across the river between Kendall and Central, and I believe there's still an Emac&Bolio's on Newbury st a few blocks down.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

The Museum of Science is a good place, as is the New England Aquarium.

A good restaurant is Fire + Ice. It's an all-you-can-eat place. You pick out ingredients from their large selection, and they cook it up for you on a huge circular griddle. There is one about a 15 minute walk from the Hynes.

Fanuel Hall and Quincy Market is a good place if you like shopping and food. Huge food court. One warning: never enough seats there. But that's part of the fun.
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Post by Cowboy »

[quote]I don't want my poor dad to have to sit in the hotel room the entire time I'm down at the con.[/quote]

Don't worry there is a TON to do in Boston. He should not be bored.
AxelisMyHomeboy
Experienced Poster

I should hope not! But I just want to be able to give him options if the need arises. XP

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everybody! They all sound really interesting!
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Will the Red Sox season start by AB10? Because he can always catch a game at Fenway or go to one of the thousands of bars around Boston that show it. Seriously, you guys need a little variety in your sports, at least New York has options... :o uh sorry, going off topic.

Although I would recommend if the Yankees are playing the Red Sox, bring a helmet because when those two teams get together something's guaranteed to fly and it may not be the ball.
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

The season will have started by Anime Boston 2010. They will be away games. Unfortunately, the only home game is on Sunday, April 4th, 2010, at 8:00 PM, after Anime Boston 2010 has ended.

He could check out the Fenway Bleacher Bar, if he'd like. There is also the Public Garden and Boston Common. Depending on the weather, the Garden should be blooming with flowers. It's a nice place to walk through with an extravagant view.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

If he's a baseball fan, Fenway will probably be open for tours.
AxelisMyHomeboy
Experienced Poster

Awesomesauce! I'll totally suggest Fenway! =3
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

The Bruins are playing at home on Thursday 1 April, and the Celtics the same on Friday 2 and Sunday 4 April. The Patriots will of course be in their off season, and the New England Revolution has yet to announce the 2010 season, but will presumably be playing somewhere that Saturday—though they're based in Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, something of a trek from downtown Boston.
aryXbea
AB Alumni

Post by aryXbea »

Don't forget that at the Museum of Science there is the Harry Potter exhibit. And the MOS is cool in general!

If you go with other people, Chinatown is a great (and cheap) getting lunch or just take a walk. Some restaurants are even open for Breakfast and close at 2AM or 4AM!

I also suggest the Museum of Fine Arts Boston. It's really awesome if your dad likes artwork.
Ariana Sigel
Live Video Production Staff 2011-2013
Junior Tech Staff 2010
Attendee 2008, 2009
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

[quote=aryXbea]Don't forget that at the Museum of Science there is the Harry Potter exhibit. And the MOS is cool in general!
[/quote]
I believe the harry potter exhibit will be gone by February 21st. It's temporary.

Might I suggest a duck tour? After showing you main sites in Boston you get to drive around the harbor ^_^ The one I went on was so much fun! XD
Rappak
AB Executive

Post by Rappak »

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... setts.html

http://www.bostonusa.com/

Those two sites have a very comprehensive list of things to do in Boston.

That said, I personally like to just walk around the freedom trail every once in a while. I usually don't make it all the way as i get distracted by something and then end up doing that.
Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
AxelisMyHomeboy
Experienced Poster

Oh my gosh! Duck tours! 8D Those are so fun. XD I'll totally look in to those!
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

lol last year when we were standing outside in the pre-reg badge pick up line on Thursday, the duck tour buses kept passing by and some of them were giving funny looks. Probably wondering why there was a line of people, some of which were dressed in costume with odd colored wigs. My group just waved like morons so I doubt that helped.

Edit: Aw you're doing a cosplay of Kirara cute!
Last edited by MomoMiraculous on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Noticed Axel's cosplay list
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=MarmaladeChainsaw84]lol last year when we were standing outside in the pre-reg badge pick up line on Thursday, the duck tour buses kept passing by and some of them were giving funny looks. Probably wondering why there was a line of people, some of which were dressed in costume with odd colored wigs. My group just waved like morons so I doubt that helped.

[/quote]

In 04, when the dealer's room was in a different building than the rest of the con, and only a limited number of people were allowed in at a time, I think the line of cosplayers were actually added to the Duck Tours schedule.

"And on our right, some of Boston's more colorful residents!"

Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

lol I can see the tour guides saying that actually. That's hilarious.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
AxelisMyHomeboy
Experienced Poster

That's so amazing. XD
zerosama
Expert Poster

Post by zerosama »

Theres a bunch of stuff to do in Boston!
I'll just list a few things that are all MBTA-accessible.

Galleria mall
Museum of Science
the shops on Newbury st
and the Prudential mall where the con is held at is very nice as well!
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

When I went to college in Milton, one of the things I loved doing when I went to Boston was go to the Hoyts Theatre across from Boston Commons. It was huge, three stories I think. I remember that was where I first saw Spirited Away (had the theatre all to myself. :content: ) Anywho, even if you don't go see a movie there it's definitely worth it just walking in. It's beautiful.
aryXbea
AB Alumni

Post by aryXbea »

[quote=Phantom 1]When I went to college in Milton, one of the things I loved doing when I went to Boston was go to the Hoyts Theatre across from Boston Commons. It was huge, three stories I think. I remember that was where I first saw Spirited Away (had the theatre all to myself. :content: ) Anywho, even if you don't go see a movie there it's definitely worth it just walking in. It's beautiful.[/quote]

Actually I think it's now the Loews... I literally live a 1 min walk from it! It's a great theater. Watch out for midnight showings, Emerson invades.

This is important about the T- It closes at like 12:30-1 depending on the train. Also, rides are $2. Don't buy a $5 Charlie ticket, you just wasted one dollar (you can't refill a charlie ticket). Do an even amount.
Ariana Sigel
Live Video Production Staff 2011-2013
Junior Tech Staff 2010
Attendee 2008, 2009
Hotchkiss
I'm new!

Post by Hotchkiss »

[quote=SciFiGrl47][quote=MarmaladeChainsaw84]lol last year when we were standing outside in the pre-reg badge pick up line on Thursday, the duck tour buses kept passing by and some of them were giving funny looks. Probably wondering why there was a line of people, some of which were dressed in costume with odd colored wigs. My group just waved like morons so I doubt that helped.

[/quote]

In 04, when the dealer's room was in a different building than the rest of the con, and only a limited number of people were allowed in at a time, I think the line of cosplayers were actually added to the Duck Tours schedule.

"And on our right, some of Boston's more colorful residents!"

[/quote]

If you "quack" at people on duck-tours, they all will quack back. I used to do it all the time as a little kid.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=aryXbea][quote=Phantom 1]When I went to college in Milton, one of the things I loved doing when I went to Boston was go to the Hoyts Theatre across from Boston Commons. It was huge, three stories I think. I remember that was where I first saw Spirited Away (had the theatre all to myself. :content: ) Anywho, even if you don't go see a movie there it's definitely worth it just walking in. It's beautiful.[/quote]

Actually I think it's now the Loews... I literally live a 1 min walk from it! It's a great theater. Watch out for midnight showings, Emerson invades.

This is important about the T- It closes at like 12:30-1 depending on the train. Also, rides are $2. Don't buy a $5 Charlie ticket, you just wasted one dollar (you can't refill a charlie ticket). Do an even amount.[/quote]

That is the Loews Boston Common. very nice movie theater.

You can buy Charlie Tickets for $2, $4, etc, but it would be better to get a Charlie Card so you save some money (1.7 compared with 2) and are able to go from subway to bus (or vice versa) without paying extra. Oh, and money put on a Charlie Card is good for 18 months, so even if you only come to Boston once a year, you can put some extra on it so when you come back next year you can get right on the T without bothering with the machine.