Taking the T to the convention 2010

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
midnight
Experienced Poster

Post by midnight »

how early should my freind and i leave to get to the con? we are coming in from leominster mass.

any genraL advise would be most welcome. like can i bring food on the communter rail and eat it and not get yelled at.
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Post by ninja_girl21 »

i always leave early for an event i usually leave my house from stoneham at 5 or 6 to get there cause there a big line forms inside or outside the con depending on the weather
i been going to anime boston since 2004
Nicole
AB Alumni

Post by Nicole »

The MBTA web site (http://www.mbta.com/) has lots of maps and schedules for you to use to plan your trip.

To get from Leominster, MA to the Hynes Convention Center, you will need to take the Fitchburg Commuter Rail line Inbound to North Station. That can take an hour to an hour and a half, depending on what day and time you depart. (Here is a schedule: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/ ... e=FITCHBRG You can choose the day and inbound/outbound lines to redisplay the times.)

At North Station, get on the Green E Line Inbound and take it to the Prudential Center. After arriving at the Prudential Center, you will be able to walk through the mall to get to the Hynes.

It seems like the trip could take two-three hours, depending on the day and time you leave. As such, it would be inconvenient to travel this way each day to the convention, especially if you are planning on staying late (the trains stop running around midnight, and earlier for commuter lines). It would probably be better to stay at a hotel close to the convention center, just for the convenience.

Also, I have brought food onto the commuter rail before, and as long as it is not messy or crumbly, and you take your trash when you get off the train, they don't have a problem with it.

I hope that helps!
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
master chief
Veteran Poster

Post by master chief »

I go to boston all the time and if you leave friday and you want to be there right when it opens then take the first train at leominster station which leaves at exactly at 5:52 am but you should get there early just in case they get there a little early. also it will not take no 2 to three hours to get there. At the most it will take 1hr45min. Hope this helps:)
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

It does look like the commuter rail alone will take between 1:15-1:30 depending on the stops it makes when you travel (thank you to the first responder for the very helpful links :D to assist my reply :D). Depending on when the green line last came in, you could be picked up right away or waiting up to about 15 min (when the trains are running on schedule) for the E line from North Station. Then it's about a 2 minute walk to the Hynes. I would definitely estimate 2 hours travel time rather than counting on the extra 15 minutes/half hour. I must say I agree with the idea of staying in a hotel (or the local hostel if you only care about needing a bed to sleep on) if you are coming up for more than one day.

Also, I take the T every day (the Providence/Stoughton line from Attleborough) since I work in Boston. NEVER discount the possibility of the train breaking down or running late. It happens FREQUENTLY. Their boasting about being on time, I believe it was 98% of the time recently, is complete crap. My train alone has been notably late more than 5 times just in the past 2 weeks, let alone the rest of the time. It does tend to run better in nicer weather though. :)

Just don't cut yourself too close. Registration opens at 8, but there isn't a lot of activity (some may disagree but I've gotten a general consensus on this) aside from people hanging around until the opening ceremonies at 11. So, you should have plenty of time to wait in line even if you get there at 8.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

It is not often thought of, because people want to GET to the con, but the more important question is: How are you getting home?

If you are commuting using public transportation, do not forget that you must allow for travel time. If the final train leaves at, say, 11:00 pm, you have got to allow yourself time to get to the station, and that might mean leaving the masquarade at 9:30. Not ten, not ten thirty, NINE THIRTY. It's painful, but if you count on everything running exactly on time, and your count is off by ten minutes and you miss the final train...

That's a very expensive cab ride. 8)
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
midnight
Experienced Poster

Post by midnight »

i'm aware of this and will plan for this. the last train out bound is mid night. i'll have check the subway scudule.
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

Oh and I forgot to mention, you ARE allowed to eat on the train :)
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Be forewarned, if you go in cosplay (as I have one year) you might get some odd looks. And if you carry weapons, people might take offense to taht.
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

Just because this is a funny story I have to add it.

If you are in costume you absolutely will get odd looks, as phantom1 said. If you are as outgoing as me, it won't bother you. I have gotten pictures taken by random tourists, once getting onto the Orange Line to get to North Station (I was going to Salem for Halloween and was in costume) and once walking from the cheesecake factory. So it can be quite fun.

If you have weapons try to keep them as inconspicuous as possible though. You are at the mercy of the conductors and if they don't want it on the train, you won't be getting on.
Azira
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Azira »

Topics been answered but Hello fellow Leominster res!
midnight
Experienced Poster

Post by midnight »

hello, do i know you?
amphitrite

Post by amphitrite »

You can definitely eat on the commuter rail, I've done it plenty of times. (As long you're clean, of course!) I've also taken the T while in cosplay and aside from people wondering why you're dressed up, nobody will give you trouble.

As for taking the T home, there have been a lot of delays in subway service, ESPECIALLY on the green line, which you'd be taking to get to/from the con.

Leominster is on the Fitchburg line, which stops into North station, right? Be aware that green line service towards Lechmere past Government Center can be EXTREMELY hit or miss. You will likely spend a lot of time at Park Street waiting for a train to take you towards Lechmere, or at least North Station, while all the trains say their terminus is Government center (it's extremely frustrating!!!)

It looks like a longer trip, but honestly I think this would be faster for you: when taking the T back home from the con, transfer OFF the Green line at Park street and pick up your commuter rail train at the Porter square station. The red line comes very frequently and doesn't have all the problems and weird end stops the green line does.

Though, to be extremely safe for a train after rush hour, I'd say leave AB at 11pm to get a midnight train. But I'm paranoid like that XD
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Better option for getting to North Station from the Hynes: Walk over to Back Bay Station and take the Orange line to North Station.

You walk thru the Pru mall, across the walkway into Copley Place, thru there, then down the escalator, down the stairs, and thru the tunnel. :)
amphitrite

Post by amphitrite »

Indeed! I didn't even know you could walk so easily to the Back Bay station -- I have always gotten lost, but that sounds like a much easier way. Orange line is a very smart idea!
xBurningStarrx
Experienced Poster

Post by xBurningStarrx »

last bound train back to leominster not 12 its 11 trust me i go to boston every weekend and the first 2 times home missed the train
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

T website check it for the train schedule, because they do alter the schedules every so often.

I don't know the northern commuter rail, but on the southern side, the last train leaves 11:50pm on weekdays, 11:20 on weekends.
Lonesurvivor
Determined Poster

Post by Lonesurvivor »

Any idea how the green line works? Cause i'm still a bit confused as to how to get on the "E" line from north station.
AB 2013
Col. Roy Mustang (FMA)
Leon Scott Kennedy (Resident Evil Series)
Dib (Invader Zim)
AnimeGuru06
AB Alumni

Post by AnimeGuru06 »

the E train is easy to find or at least for me it was. I believe it is inbound? I dunno the one downstairs to the Right and you just gotta wait for it to come :P longest I've waited was about 20 mins. I dunno because I never looked at my phone or watch(too busy being excited for the con)
Kim Norton

Security Staff '07-'16
The_Finn
AB Staff

Post by The_Finn »

[quote=Lonesurvivor]Any idea how the green line works? Cause i'm still a bit confused as to how to get on the "E" line from north station.[/quote]

Here is the T map for reference

From north station you will want to take an inbound train any one will do. Once you get to Copley if you are on an E Train just stay on board (they should be announcing the destination after every stop "the destination of this train is " look at the map on the car above the door figure out what train you are on). If however you are on any train other than E get off at copley and stay on the platform an E train should be along to drop you off at Prudential soon enough.

Alternatly you can take any train EXCEPT THE E TRAIN to the Hynes convention center station and walk to the Hynes via the Sheraton hotel entrance by following these handy google map walking directions
Adam Loehmann
Anime Boston Security: 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
PAC Security: That one time
Nerd Camp: Kitchen Team Alpha

I'm what goes bump in the night
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

E line inbound is also called Heath Street.

So, on the front and side of the train, you want the digital sign to say E Heath Street

Also, only C and E trains go through North Station. B and D leave from Government Center.
Rappak
AB Executive

Post by Rappak »

*edit* hehehe. Oops. nothing to see here.
Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
Kirara
Expert Poster

Re: Taking the T to the convention 2010

Post by Kirara »

I have a question about the T. Would they allow someone on that is carrying a massive foam sword about 5 ft tall?
AB'12
Inuyasha
AB'13
Nepeta Leijon, Lin Bei Fong, Crona
AB'14
Latula Pyrope, Indigo-Blood Disciple, Nepeta Leijon
AB'15
San and Ryuko Matoi
Nicole
AB Alumni

Post by Nicole »

Kirara wrote:I have a question about the T. Would they allow someone on that is carrying a massive foam sword about 5 ft tall?
As long as the train isn't too crowded and the sword is in no danger of bumping into anyone or anything, it should be fine. If you're taking the T from an above-ground station, you may have to request that the driver open the larger side doors to let you in (and then go up to the front of the car to pay for your ride), since the front doors are pretty narrow. If you're at an underground station, then it's no issue.

People carry huge stuff on the T all the time, like suitcases and bicycles. Just keep your fellow travelers in mind and remember that the train might be crowded depending on what time you are on the T.

Hope that helps!
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

Can I just point no one even mentioned the Orange Line? it may not be as close to the Hynes as the green line but Back Bay station it's not much farther away than the Prudential stop. it goes to North Station, and it's much more reliable than the green line. plus there's a lot more room. and it's less confusing. a lot of people are afraid to take it, but I take it all the time, there's never really any trouble.
AnimeGuru06
AB Alumni

Post by AnimeGuru06 »

With myself. I always find that taking the green line is easier for inexperienced con-goers, whereas if you have been going for several years you find other ways around.
Kim Norton

Security Staff '07-'16
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

RebelArtemis wrote:Can I just point no one even mentioned the Orange Line? it may not be as close to the Hynes as the green line but Back Bay station it's not much farther away than the Prudential stop. it goes to North Station, and it's much more reliable than the green line. plus there's a lot more room. and it's less confusing. a lot of people are afraid to take it, but I take it all the time, there's never really any trouble.
Ahem (points up the thread) and quoting it here for good measure:
Fetch wrote:Better option for getting to North Station from the Hynes: Walk over to Back Bay Station and take the Orange line to North Station.

You walk thru the Pru mall, across the walkway into Copley Place, thru there, then down the escalator, down the stairs, and thru the tunnel. :)
Oh, and one other thing: this thread should be merged with the "Traveling in a Cosplay on the MBTA" thread. Partly because this thread is dated 2010 and it is now 2012.
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Post by KitsuneCreations »

So, Id like to revive this thread so I can start planning my weekend at AB ^^

Heres the story: Im taking the Downeaster train from Portland, Maine to Boston. I will need to take the T and I like to get off at the Prudential Center (The stop that leads you next to the cheesecake factory) because Im staying at the MidTown Hotel. Last year, I did this successfully going home, but doing it once in my life means Ive forgotten the stops. Also, Im going to have all my stuff with me (suitcases and bags loaded with stuff for the artist alley!) so I need to have a game plan so Im not panicking to find the right train while carrying all my stuff.

Last year, I THINK I took the green line. I remember being told to take the train "E". Whatever I did, I did not need to change trains, it was just one straight shot from point A to point B and I want to do this again. Can someone please fill me in on which train I should be taking TO the convention and which train to take BACK to the train station? What is the name of the stop for the cheesecake factory? The maps confuse me... a lot XD Im a girl from a small town in Maine!
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

Your train will drop you off at the North Station "T" (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) stop. You will want to go to the Green Line Westbound gate.

There are a few different branches on the green line that go west from North Station. There are B - Boston College, C - Cleveland Circle, D - Riverside, and E - Health Street. Some "E" trains are cut back to a shorter run, and will say E - Bringham Circle.

You'll want to wait for one of the two "E" trains. It doesn't matter which. They both go to the Prudential stop. This is the stop for the Prudential Center that you want. The list of stops you will go through are North Station > Haymarket > Government Center > Park Street > Boylston > Arlington > Copley > Prudential

If you were to get on one of the other green line trains, the next stop after Copley would be Hynes Convention Center. Hope that helps.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Yes, that is a HUGE! Help! Thank you so much :)

When I get on the "E" Train from North Station.. I have to go down the stairs correct? I think I remember doing this last time. Hope there are elevators.

Also, when I am returning home, do I take the Same "E" Train? Does it also say Heath Street or will it have another destination? Want to make sure I catch the right train home XD
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

That's correct. You'll see signs for stairs to the green line platform level. There are elevators. Though you may have to ask a staff member where it is. The T is not great about elevator signs. Most all stations have them now, but sometimes they are around a corner or at the far end of a platform.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Do you mind if I butt in this conversation? Let's start with North Station.

You will be entering Boston via North Station. From there, you will follow the signs that lead towards the Green and Orange Line to get into the rapid transit system. North Station is handicap accessible so there are elevators to get into the subway and the platform. There are also escalators as well.

Inside North Station, you will want to take the Green Line - Inbound via Park St./Government Center using the E line. If you are unsure of the platform, the Green Line - Inbound is on the same platform as the Orange Line - Inbound and the Green Line - Outbound is above the Green Line - Inbound. There are only 2 Green Line routes that go to North Station, the C line and the E line. The B line and D Line terminates at Government Center. All E line trains go to Prudential so if it has an E, take it. Prudential also has an elevator.

On the way home, you will be looking for the Green Line - Inbound via Park St./Government Center. Yes, you arrived going inbound and you will leave going inbound. The reason for that is because Park St. and Government Center are considered the middle on that particular line. Now time for some confusion. There are 4 possible trains that arrive at Prudential where they will not have the letter ie. B, C, D, or E. Instead, they will say Park St., Government Center, North Station, or Lechmere. You will want to take either the North Station train or the Lechmere train. There also is a possibility that a train will go out of service before arriving to North Station. If that does occur, just look for a North Station or a Lechmere bound train once you get off.

Hope this helps.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Both of you, thank you sooo much! Extremely helpful. This greatly helped me to refresh my memory and Im going to bring off these instructions as a reference if I get confused.

The nice thing about AB... if I have a question when Im there, all I need to do is find someone in Cosplay! :D
Kirara
Expert Poster

Post by Kirara »

How crowded can the T get and is there anywhere I could put my prop (like in the corner or something)? What parking lots do you recommend that are close to AB because there is 50/50 shot that my mom might drive up to Boston.
AB'12
Inuyasha
AB'13
AB'14
AB'15
San and Ryuko Matoi
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

During the rush hours it can get quite packed. Cattle car packed. If you're planing to be on the T to be at the convention between 9 and 10, plan for some extra time if you have any big props or a costume that needs a bit of care. That way you can skip a train and wait for the next one if needed.

The closest parking the convention is the Prudential Center parking garage. http://www.prudentialcenter.com/parking/rates.php There is metered on street parking in the area, but that of course can be iffy.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

My opinion on this is that if you are going to drive in, park at one of the MBTA lots. I prefer Wellington Station in Medford, MA since all you have to do is go on the Orange Line and take it straight to Back Bay Station. Orange line is less crowded than the green line, in my opinion, so there would be plenty of room to place a prop.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Kirara
Expert Poster

Post by Kirara »

Thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to keep them in mind.
AB'12
Inuyasha
AB'13
AB'14
AB'15
San and Ryuko Matoi