Tokyo Kid?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
ReploidFox
Getting the hang of this...

Tokyo Kid?

Post by ReploidFox »

(if this doesn't belong here, it can be moved.)

Just a quick question. How far would you say Tokyo Kid is from the convention? (Cause I don't trust Mapquest for crap.)

Was thinking of treking over there in Cosplay, would make for an epic video. XD
Faceman
AB Executive

Tokyo Kid?

Post by Faceman »

It's a 3 mile walk from the Hynes Convention Center to Tokyo kid. It's a long walk and I wouldn't advise walking through Boston and Cambridge in cosplay.

If you really want to go to TK, taking the subway or bus would be best. But it's still not advisable to go perusing around Boston in cosplay. There's no law against it, but you risk your costume being damaged amongst the crowds and public transportation, and you can't tell how people will react to seeing it.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
ReploidFox

Tokyo Kid?

Post by ReploidFox »

Well if we did go, we'd probably go in someone's car. Makes it easier.

As far as being in the open, I wouldn't worry about it. Me and my friends survived both Yummies Candy and the Kittery Trading Post in cosplay.

Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Tokyo Kid?

Post by Eilonnwy »

Google maps is where it's at. No one likes mapquest anymore.

But yeah, it's not too far. It's right off the Harvard T stop on the red line.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Tokyo Kid?

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=ReploidFox]Well if we did go, we'd probably go in someone's car. Makes it easier.[/quote]
Using a car in Harvard Square never makes anything easier.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Faceman
AB Executive

Tokyo Kid?

Post by Faceman »

[quote=PatrickD][quote=ReploidFox]Well if we did go, we'd probably go in someone's car. Makes it easier.[/quote]
Using a car in Harvard Square never makes anything easier.[/quote]

Especially when you have to pahk the cah in the cah pahk by hahvahd yahd.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Fetch
Show-off

Tokyo Kid?

Post by Fetch »

Take the 1 bus.
you get on in front of the Hynes Green line stop.
you get off at Harvard Square, then walk down JFK Street to the Garage.
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Tokyo Kid?

Post by pulsedemon »

Yeah, the #1 is where it's at for that trip. It stops pretty frequently and should only take about 15 minutes or so to get over to Harvard (traffic permitting).

Seriously, don't drive it - you'll be asking for angry frustration trying to find a place to park.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Tokyo Kid?

Post by yunaofparadise »

Take the bus there!! You will have more fun walking to the store seeing all these other great stores to go to! Traffic there is hell. Also, I would make sure to check what you are going to by at TK. They do sell bootleg. But if you don't care, it's ok.
amphitrite

Tokyo Kid?

Post by amphitrite »

Actually, a friend of mine and I did walk around Harvard Square in cosplay this past fall and it was fun; that said, we are both in our mid-20s (i.e. not minors) and it was around Halloween, so people in costume wasn't a tall order for the season.

We also took the T in costume and it was pretty fantastic, though our car was very empty -- most people avoided us (I can understand why, I was dressed as Kefka, lol)

The weekend of AnimeBoston there are cosplayers all over the MBTA, so while you'll get some stares you'll at least have some company.

Do not even attempt to *DRIVE* in that area, OP. There is no parking and the roads are a mess. Take the T, bus or subway. I guarantee you'll have more fun that way! ;)
destro
Veteran Poster

Tokyo Kid?

Post by destro »

[quote=PatrickD][quote=ReploidFox]Well if we did go, we'd probably go in someone's car. Makes it easier.[/quote]
Using a car in Harvard Square never makes anything easier.[/quote]
Tokyo Kid/Harvard Square is on the Cambridge side of the river. In my opinion when your on the Cambridge side of the river and you find a decent parking space near your destination it is a miracle. I suggest to go to Tokyo Kid During the con you should get out of cosplay (unless you don't mind your costume getting damaged) and you take the T.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Tokyo Kid?

Post by Phantom 1 »

I hate to say this but if there's one thing Boston and New York have in common it's that it's near... no it IS impossible to find a parking spot but I digress.
danim
AB Alumni

Tokyo Kid?

Post by danim »

[quote=Phantom 1]I hate to say this but if there's one thing Boston and New York have in common it's that it's near... no it IS impossible to find a parking spot but I digress.[/quote]

Hey, I'm in Boston right now and there is totally a parking spot open right in front of the door of my office. So take THAT! XD

Sorry, I saw the post and couldn't help myself lol.

As far as traveling in cosplay goes, in my opinion, it's a hit or miss. I've traveled on the subway in costume before and nothing happened to it, but that may not always be the case. So if you have a costume that can be easily damaged, or if you are extremely scared something will happen to it, law of attraction dictates something will. Therefore, don't wear it outside the con.

By the way, the space I just mentioned was just taken by a car as I was typing this post haha!
But it left again, so it is once again free!