Areas of Boston to stay away from?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Moogle
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Moogle »

I went to Anime Boston last year and had a great time, but I didn't do any site-seeing. Since I live pretty far away, this year I'm coming early so I can spend some time in the city. While I've heard about the best places to see, I have no idea where not to go. Are there any places in Boston that I should avoid? (dangerous/bad neighborhoods)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

It's pretty much relative. I wouldn't consider much of anyplace 'bad', but I'm also a big dude that cuts a somewhat imposing figure.

For sightseeing kinds of places, nobody should have any problem. There's a ton of historically and culturally significant places right in the downtown area and the Hynes and Sheraton are right in the middle of a pretty busy business district.

Some nasty rats can be found in Boston Common when the lights go down, so don't make a costume out of like raw beef or something.

That said, there's a lot of traffic outside and a couple of bars in the area. As long as you keep your head about you (don't play in the street and don't pick fights with drunks), there shouldn't be any reason for trouble to find you.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Blackorchid1
I'm new!

Post by Blackorchid1 »

Parts of Roxbury, I guess. On the whole, Boston is pretty safe. I would just follow the previous poster's advice and keep in mind that this is a large city. Behave as though you would in any new place, and keep an eye out. If you're cosplaying, keep in mind a costume attracts attention. People will come up to you and ask you questions or yell things at you, depending how extreme it is.
As long as you're pleasant and cautious, you should be okay. There are usually a lot of tourists around, so it's okay to ask people for directions, recommendations, and help.
chrissiblack

Post by chrissiblack »

You know, honestly I'm a small girl and I go to Boston alone often and sometimes I have to wear weird clothes in public because it's part of the territory in with being a model.

Boston is a really safe city. Nothing really bad has ever happened to me whatsoever. The only tips I have for you are to avoid going on the subways alone after dark because sometimes people tend to get a little touchy.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

In general I don't think Boston is that bad. Around Fanueil Hall is a great place to do some sightseeing. The public gardens are nice too. =)

I would avoid Mattapan, though. I've heard it's a bad area.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Be careful if you go to Chinatown. Boston is really a safe city, but when my friend and I went to Chinatown, 3 guys tried to get our attention but we just walked away and then I think they tried running after us, but I have no idea why. Luckily they stopped but not before calling my friend a d******* n*****. Maybe it was just a bad day for us.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

If you stay in the touristy areas, or places with a lot of people, you should generally be alright. One thing I've learned over the years of living here is that if someone's talking at you to try and get your attention, IGNORE THEM. They'll usually come up with some sob story about how their car broke down with their kids in it, and they need $20 to get gas to get home, or they need change for a $10, and before you know it, you're out $15, or something like that. It's always made up in an attempt to get easy money from tourists. Generally if you don't pay them any attention and keep on walking, they'll leave you alone. If they don't, find a police officer (lots of them on patrol), or go into a store or someplace safe. Otherwise general rules of city exploration apply.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Post by ninja_girl21 »

any place that not safe mmmm i say anywhere u know i always feel safe with my bf and etc friends. anime boston is frienly atmostphere but i dont know about outside the con but be always on the lookout you never know these days
i been going to anime boston since 2004
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=coolforever]Be careful if you go to Chinatown. Boston is really a safe city, but when my friend and I went to Chinatown, 3 guys tried to get our attention but we just walked away and then I think they tried running after us, but I have no idea why. [/quote]

I second this with a bit of a edit; Stay away from Chinatown at night. There are lots of shady people at night and C-town isn't too far from the combat zone (If you're from that area, you know what I'm talking about, if not -- Don't ask.).

Mattapan, Roxbury, Dorchester, etc. are generally bad places, but if you're sightseeing and being touristy, I see no reason why you would go to those places. I agree w/ all of the other posters that Boston in general is a pretty safe place, but you shouldn't walk around at night by yourself... You never know. Especially if you're cosplaying something skimpy and you're by yourself.

[quote=Faceman]
If you stay in the touristy areas, or places with a lot of people, you should generally be alright. One thing I've learned over the years of living here is that if someone's talking at you to try and get your attention, IGNORE THEM. They'll usually come up with some sob story about how their car broke down with their kids in it, and they need $20 to get gas to get home, or they need change for a $10, and before you know it, you're out $15, or something like that. It's always made up in an attempt to get easy money from tourists.[/quote]

I agree with this, too. 99% of the time you can tell just by looking at them that your money is not going to help them get home. I'd also like to add (as well as sound like a complete bitch) that you should stay away from the homeless and not give them your money. They usually stand outside stores like CVS around the convention center begging for your change and try and guilt trip you... If you don't even look at them, or acknowledge their presence, they'll leave you alone.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

Travel with others and you'll be fine just about anywhere.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Moogle

Post by Moogle »

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think out of the places mentioned, I was only interested in seeing China Town. It should be okay if I walk through in the morning/afternoon, right? I won't be with a large group; actually, it will only be my sister and I. For the most part, I'll try to stay in the tourist areas.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Moogle]Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think out of the places mentioned, I was only interested in seeing China Town. It should be okay if I walk through in the morning/afternoon, right? I won't be with a large group; actually, it will only be my sister and I. For the most part, I'll try to stay in the tourist areas.[/quote]

Chinatown during the day is great. :)
DeathBruzer
Veteran Poster

Post by DeathBruzer »

Boston isn't bad, it's just the police are bungholes. Avoid the Boston police at all cost.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

[quote=DeathBruzer]Boston isn't bad, it's just the police are bungholes. Avoid the Boston police at all cost.[/quote]

I don't think that's really a fair generalization. I've never had a problem with the BPD. Most I've found are very approachable and helpful - of course like any group there are still the rotten apples. You just have to remember that they have a job to do.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Poison

Post by Poison »

I'm going to try and do some site seeing as well. Does anyone think the "Skywalk" at the Prudential Center is worth doing?
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Poison]I'm going to try and do some site seeing as well. Does anyone think the "Skywalk" at the Prudential Center is worth doing? [/quote]

It's worth doing if you're into cool views and history and such. Otherwise, it's just an elevator ride to the top of a building and looking out windows.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=jessica]It's worth doing if you're into cool views and history and such. Otherwise, it's just an elevator ride to the top of a building and looking out windows.[/quote]
Yeah. I forget what the current rate is, but it's not a cheap look out of windows either.

Honestly, I think the Skywalk is worth skipping. There are more interesting things to do in town.
-Patrick Delahanty

View my Convention List
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=PatrickD]
Yeah. I forget what the current rate is, but it's not a cheap look out of windows either.

Honestly, I think the Skywalk is worth skipping. There are more interesting things to do in town.[/quote]

Adults are 12.00$, college students w/ ID are 10.00$.

I agree w/ Patrick.. There are a lot more interesting things to do.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Thanks everyone for the advice. It can't be better then going to the top of the empire state building (I live in nyc). So i guess i'll skip it. Anyone have any other idea's for site seeing? How about the big public park with the swan boat rides in it? Is that worth doing?
Prince
Experienced Poster

Post by Prince »

If you're into photography and pretty pictures...
A picnic...
Or even just a walk through the park on a nice day...

The Boston Commons is def worth the trip. Very nice to see and walk through, especially with a nice day.

The Garden and duck pond are great as well, more floral there, and plenty to take a peak at...

Grab a spot in the sun or in the shade and read a book or talk about anime. LOL This place is great to chill and kill a few hours.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Boston Common.

No 's'.

You say 'Boston Commons', all the locals KNOW that you're a tourist.
Oh, and the Swan Boats are in the Public Gardens, which is next to the The Common.

From the con: Take the Green line from Hynes/ICA to Arlington, Bolyston, or Park Street.
Prince
Experienced Poster

Post by Prince »

[quote=Fetch]Boston Common.

No 's'.

Oh, and the Swan Boats are in the Public Gardens, which is next to the The Common.

From the con: Take the Green line from Hynes/ICA to Arlington, Bolyston, or Park Street.[/quote]

See... much better... and more informed. Still slightly direct, but better said none the less.

That said though, I've been here 4 years myself, and I've heard more people from the area refer to it as "The Commons" then people visiting.

Course... the "Commons" in Boston is a completely different park, close to RT 1 on the north side of Boston. Though, I've never actually seen it before. :D
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

If you ask me, there's nothing "Common" about Boston, it's a city in and of itself. ;)
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Fetch]Boston Common.

No 's'.

Oh, and the Swan Boats are in the Public Gardens, which is next to the The Common.[/quote]
Do you mean the Public Garden? (It also has no "s", you tourist!)
-Patrick Delahanty

View my Convention List
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=PatrickD][quote=Fetch]Boston Common.

No 's'.

Oh, and the Swan Boats are in the Public Gardens, which is next to the The Common.[/quote]
Do you mean the Public Garden? (It also has no "s", you tourist!)
[/quote]

Owned.

Anyway, as for sightseeing, I'm going to agree w/ everyone that Boston Common and the Public Garden are great. If you're into photography, you can get some amazing shots. Be careful at night, though, just like with everything else.
Rhett Thanas

Post by Rhett Thanas »

[quote=Faceman][quote=DeathBruzer]Boston isn't bad, it's just the police are bungholes. Avoid the Boston police at all cost.[/quote]

I don't think that's really a fair generalization. I've never had a problem with the BPD. Most I've found are very approachable and helpful - of course like any group there are still the rotten apples. You just have to remember that they have a job to do.[/quote]

Absolutely disagree. I've organized events and helped organize events involving the police in multiple cities. The Boston Police have by far been the most competent and respectful in my long and varied experience.

I have a feeling your experience may be limited to a general dislike of authority or relegated to a singular experience with an individual that does not represent everyone.

No one here, I repeat, NO ONE should be afraid to seek out the aid of police while in Boston. Believe me, with Gay Pride they've dealt with much stranger dressed people than anything the Japanese could dream of.
presariohuan
I'm new!

Post by presariohuan »

I heard from a friend that them duck boat tour thingys aren't too bad. You could also go to the various museums. There is also an aquarium with a 3d movie theater, but you would have to find out what they will be playing though.
Doctor Ecks

Post by Doctor Ecks »

If you're not a fan of baseball (or drunk people) then stay away from the Kenmore Square/Fenway Park area, and the adjacent Landsdowne Street clubs since the Sox are playing the Mets that whole weekend. There'll be a bazillion people crowding the streets causing a ruckus.

However if you like baseball, then a trip to Fenway will earn you some points among your sports-fan friends. And the several bars and clubs in the area are quite good if that's your thing.
desutei

Post by desutei »

[quote=jessica][quote=Moogle]Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think out of the places mentioned, I was only interested in seeing China Town. It should be okay if I walk through in the morning/afternoon, right? I won't be with a large group; actually, it will only be my sister and I. For the most part, I'll try to stay in the tourist areas.[/quote]

Chinatown during the day is great. :)[/quote]

Seconded! If you're looking for some cheap-decently priced pocky, I recommend dropping by C-Mart in Chinatown though it is usually pretty crowded everytime I go, so watch out cosplayers.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Stay away from nightclubs at night (Unless you are used to them), hobos that hit on you (Happened to both girls that were in my group) and hobos that smell like pee.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Sanada
I'm new!

Post by Sanada »

boston is an awesome place ive been there so many time because i live so close to it but you do get some promblems along the way just stay away from drunks that a given for girls your gonna get hit on and touch so just be careful and guys people going to pick a fight with you and call you name so try to be with 3 or more friends and or familys. If your by your self stay in area where there crowds of people then places with little people. Cops are not so bad sometime they make some wierd accusations but their mostly good guys so if something happen you can talk to them. And in boston every where you go there always something awesome to see take my word for it. but if not buy a map it a big help you'll get lost.
Nicole
AB Alumni

Post by Nicole »

I've lived in Boston for five years, and haven't had a problem yet. Some areas have aggressive panhandlers, but good advice for going anywhere in Boston:

-Walk confidently, with your head up and eyes forward.
-Don't respond to any panhandlers or anyone trying to harass you.
-Keep your bag/purse close to you, with the front flap/opening against your body so you can't be pickpocketed. Dudes, keep your wallets out of your back pockets.
-Travel in a group whenever possible.
-Have a good idea of where you're going. Don't panic if you get lost. Locals are good at giving directions, so just ask someone who looks trustworthy, or ask someone in a store.
-The subway can be a little skeevy late at late, especially if you're waiting on the platform by yourself. If you don't feel comfortable, call a cab, or travel with a group.

Overall, Boston (like most cities) is a pretty safe place. Don't let the meme of cities being violence-ridden hellholes keep you from having fun. ^__~ You're probably less likely to have problems in a city, actually, because there are so many people around.
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
TokuBreaker
Veteran Poster

Post by TokuBreaker »

omg, i dont mean to go off topic but i just realized you were from Brockton. might i ask what part of brockton? I'm also from brockton originally and i couldnt help but ask when i caught your location out of the corner of my eye. "omg brockton?!!?!"
TokuBreaker
Veteran Poster

Post by TokuBreaker »

unfortunately i dont rly know what would be considered bad areas of brockton. i just tend to walk around and avoid any areas that dont seem very welcoming. like alley ways.
chibi-kodo
I'm new!

Post by chibi-kodo »

[quote=Nicole]I've lived in Boston for five years, and haven't had a problem yet. Some areas have aggressive panhandlers, but good advice for going anywhere in Boston:

-Walk confidently, with your head up and eyes forward.
-Don't respond to any panhandlers or anyone trying to harass you.
-Keep your bag/purse close to you, with the front flap/opening against your body so you can't be pickpocketed. Dudes, keep your wallets out of your back pockets.
-Travel in a group whenever possible.
-Have a good idea of where you're going. Don't panic if you get lost. Locals are good at giving directions, so just ask someone who looks trustworthy, or ask someone in a store.
-The subway can be a little skeevy late at late, especially if you're waiting on the platform by yourself. If you don't feel comfortable, call a cab, or travel with a group.[/quote]
Good advice. I'd like to add some two cents:

Even if you travel in a group, you should still be aware of your surroundings.

And don't listen to music if by yourself at night (that's a given). Also, if you have a nice phone, keep an eye on it. heh
vampyriclolita02

Post by vampyriclolita02 »

Avoid the orange line (part of the T, which is the subway system.) I'm pretty sure it extends up North through Malden, and South through Roxbury. In any case. I wouldn't go on it myself, I'd rather just sit in traffic forever and drive.

Also use common sense too. Ask for directions!
If you own a Sox hat, wear it ^_^.

GO SOX!!!
I have a major crush on Papelbon...<3
TokuBreaker
Veteran Poster

Post by TokuBreaker »

i meant boston in my last post, not brockton as it is not relevant to u ppl's interests
Gular
Expert Poster

Post by Gular »

Boston is a safe city on the whole. There are some unsavory parts, but they wouldn't be places you'd wander off to by accident from Copley. Generally speaking, if you start seeing exclusively T stops for Orange or Silver lines, you're heading in the wrong direction.

That being said, the crime rate in Boston is ridiculously low and so long as you're not being obnoxious, you should have no problems. When it comes to places to avoid, Chinatown at night and Mission Hill at night.

Dorchester, Roxbury and other communities haven't had as many problems recently. I'd still avoid West Roxbury, though, as it has some rough parts. If you end up there, though, you've gone so far away from anything touristy it takes a real effort.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Just asking some natives here but what does anyone think of South Boston?
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=Phantom 1]Just asking some natives here but what does anyone think of South Boston?[/quote]

Southie is nice during the day.

My advice for first time visitors: stay on Broadway, A, and D.

If you want to go to Castle Island, which is in
Southie: take the bus to City Point. You'll have to walk about a mile from where the bus lets you off.
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Post by Zigfried »

[quote=Phantom 1]Just asking some natives here but what does anyone think of South Boston?[/quote]

The Departed =/= A realistic interpretation (anymore)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

[quote=wartooth91]omg, i dont mean to go off topic but i just realized you were from Brockton. might i ask what part of brockton? I'm also from brockton originally and i couldnt help but ask when i caught your location out of the corner of my eye. "omg brockton?!!?!"[/quote]

My wife and I bought a condo in one of the old shoe factory buildings across the street from the train/police station. We'd moved there from Somerville. There's a whole lot less to do around there, but it was easily affordable when we'd moved there.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Moogle]I went to Anime Boston last year and had a great time, but I didn't do any site-seeing. Since I live pretty far away, this year I'm coming early so I can spend some time in the city. While I've heard about the best places to see, I have no idea where not to go. Are there any places in Boston that I should avoid? (dangerous/bad neighborhoods)[/quote]
Personally I would stay away from the Orange line of the T at night. A lot of messed up people there around that time. Based only on personal experience though
chrissiblack

Post by chrissiblack »

If you're on the orange line with a large group of people, you're all set. But alone, especially in costume, is a horrible idea. I just went to bagly prom in a rainbow brite costume and i was alone for a while on the orange line and it was terrifying. I really thought I was going to die.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Oh, one other major bit of info:
Most stores in Boston are closed by 21h. Some close as early as 19h. And most don't reopen until 09h or 10h.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

[quote=Fetch]Oh, one other major bit of info:
Most stores in Boston are closed by 21h. Some close as early as 19h. And most don't reopen until 09h or 10h.[/quote]

For clarity's sake, 21 is 9pm, 19 is 7pm, 09 and 10 are 9:00am and 10:00am respectively.
hitension

Post by hitension »

Yeah, Boston's safe. I'm a tiny white girl and I have been at almost all places of Boston at all times of day/night (I've lived in Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, and worked in Mattapan, and I take the T everywhere) with no real issues.

My method of dealing with the homeless is twofold: The "just ignore and do not acknowledge at all" is a good strategy. The other thing I do(if the first method does not work for whatever reason) is say that all my money is on cards and I do not have any cash with me. If they think they can't get any cash from you, they will drop you and move to the next 'target'.

The other safety tip I would recommend is just to not wave around your expensive items (iPhone, Nintendo DS, etc) on the trains. It is possible that someone can take it and run out the door, leaving you on the train minus the item. But that kind of crime still isn't very high.

Crime does happen in Boston, but most of it is gang-related, and in certain areas that your average visitor to the city never sees. Most of my visitors from outside the reason actually commented that the city seems to have no sketch looking types or looks very safe and harmless, which it is when you stick to touristic areas.
I mean yeah, don't loiter around Downtown Crossing after midnight, but why would you when all the shops closed up at 8? The odds that you'll even need any of the advice given here are so low.
hitension

Post by hitension »

[quote=Gular]Boston is a safe city on the whole. There are some unsavory parts, but they wouldn't be places you'd wander off to by accident from Copley. Generally speaking, if you start seeing exclusively T stops for Orange or Silver lines, you're heading in the wrong direction.

That being said, the crime rate in Boston is ridiculously low and so long as you're not being obnoxious, you should have no problems. When it comes to places to avoid, Chinatown at night and Mission Hill at night.

Dorchester, Roxbury and other communities haven't had as many problems recently. I'd still avoid West Roxbury, though, as it has some rough parts. If you end up there, though, you've gone so far away from anything touristy it takes a real effort.[/quote]

Just address a few things:
1) You could easily end up in the Orange line wandering from Copley (Back bay station). Silver line is for going to the airport.
I'm assuming you meant around Dudley/Jackson square, but it'd take quite some effort for people to walk over that way o_o

2) Mission hill is just a student ghetto, watch out for the waves of ferocious MassArt and Northeastern students i guess. No idea on Chinatown after dusk, no real reason to head out that way, it is kinda dirty looking tho.

3) do you mix up Roxbury and West roxbury? Roxbury is the inner city, West Roxbury is a nice suburb ^_^;;

EDIT: What I know about Southie only comes from my ex, but I had no problems visiting him there. There are movies about the area being crappy due to a long time ago it was worse off there (like 80s or earlier). It's just a blue collar Irish neighborhood that is rapidly gentifying(getting nicer/richer). If you're not white though, I've heard some stories about running into racists/offensive comments there, so there is that.
chrissiblack

Post by chrissiblack »

[quote=hitension][quote=Gular] Mission hill is just a student ghetto, watch out for the waves of ferocious MassArt and Northeastern students i guess. No idea on Chinatown after dusk, no real reason to head out that way, it is kinda dirty looking tho.

[/quote]

I used to walk around Chinatown alone a lot later at night (Like 10-11PM) when I'd go out to get myself some food and I never had a single problem, although I did see some prostitutes roaming around.
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

Not sure if this advice has come up yet (I've only been able to really scan some of the posts) but I noticed some comments on the Orange Line. Personally, if you are travelling at night I wouldn't take the orange line alone. If you are alone, just be careful and don't look frightened or intimidated, and try to stay closer to the driver (there is a wall in between you and them, but the closer you are the easier it would be for them to see if something sketchy is going on).
I've been working in Boston for over a year and have been visiting for many years prior. You will almost always run into homeless people asking for money. Some are more demanding than others.

Oh, a good piece of advice I've learned from my boss who lives in Boston-

When it's late at night and very dark, especially on side roads, walk in the middle of the street and not on the sidewalks too close to alley ways. That way you can see someone coming. His son was recently mugged because he ignored his one piece of advice. :D

These are really only precautions. I've never personally had a problem and the problems I have heard of seem just the same as any other city, it not better than some :)