fun "cheap" things to do in or around boston

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Blue-eyed-demon
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Blue-eyed-demon »

pick up a 7 day link pass.
There only like 15 dollar's
ramengumi
Veteran Poster

Post by ramengumi »

[quote=VXxed]
HOLY talent! SOMEONE AT UMB WHO LIKES ANIME! ADD ME TO FACEBOOK YOU MUST! Then I might have THREE friends at that school. What win! :P Me name be Ronen Yudzinsky, or myspace.com/vxxed if you roll like that[/quote]

Make that four... :D
Bewildered Con Mother
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Bewildered Con Mother »

Ok. I have a couple of questions for those of you 'in the know'. How far is Chinatown from the con? By foot??? Taking the T??? How about Hahvahd Square? Or the Porter Sq Exchange Bldg? And lastly.... What's bubble tea?

Yes.... I really am a Bewildered Con Mother who will be attending her first con, much less AB!

My dd is going to make me a shirt that says "Bewildered Con Mother", so you'll have to stop and say 'hi' if you see me there!
Kyo
Expert Poster

Post by Kyo »

You can pretty much get anywhere in the Boston area with the T within half an hour. Ask for a free Charlie T Card for $1.70 trips as opposed to $2.00.

China Town isn't that far of a walk. I wouldn't want to walk to Harvard Square, though.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

[quote=Bewildered Con Mother]Ok. I have a couple of questions for those of you 'in the know'. How far is Chinatown from the con? By foot??? Taking the T??? How about Hahvahd Square? Or the Porter Sq Exchange Bldg? And lastly.... What's bubble tea?

Yes.... I really am a Bewildered Con Mother who will be attending her first con, much less AB!

My dd is going to make me a shirt that says "Bewildered Con Mother", so you'll have to stop and say 'hi' if you see me there![/quote]

Having been to Boston as well as know people who live there, I can say without a doubt that Chinatown is a 5 minute walk from the Back Bay area (where the con is being held). As for Harvard and Porter Squares, they are both about a 20 minute ride on the T.
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Chinatown from the Hynes... not a good idea when it's 13 degrees out, but in May should be quite do-able. If you're in a hurry, the green line from the Hynes goes almost straight there. I believe Boylston is the stop you want.

To get to Harvard/Porter, you would take the green line to the Park St. station and switch to the red line. They are both on there and it is an easy walk from one to the other. The Porter Exchange is right off the T exit in a building labelled as Leslie University.

Bubble tea is a sweetened ice tea with tapioca pearls in the bottom. Usually it is flavored (almond, vanilla, etc) with a powder (like the syrups used in coffee shops). It is very yummy and a lot of fun. Just try not to choke on the balls as they come through the straw- it takes some getting used to.

Good luck. You'll be fine and if in doubt, find a staffer- that's what we're here for. We'll also have an info desk at con for questions like this.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
brie84
Determined Poster

Post by brie84 »

so I was down in Boston last week visiting my bf and we went to this awesome Japanese restaurant called Teriyaki House on Boylston st (right by Spikes) and can I say it was awesome. They make bubble tea there, fresh sushi and the prices are good too. Its just a few blocks away from the con...I think its my new favorite place to eat teriyaki house
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

Post by servantofreeoth »

[quote=Bewildered Con Mother]Ok. I have a couple of questions for those of you 'in the know'. How far is Chinatown from the con? By foot??? Taking the T??? How about Hahvahd Square? Or the Porter Sq Exchange Bldg? And lastly.... What's bubble tea?

My dd is going to make me a shirt that says "Bewildered Con Mother", so you'll have to stop and say 'hi' if you see me there![/quote]

WOW. lol.......I was going to ask those EXACT same questions...... :)