Yakiniku or Japanese barbecue/grill in Boston area?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
mishydishy
I'm new!

Post by mishydishy »

Are there any yakiniku restaurants in the Boston area? I'm really hoping there is. Yakiniku is also called japanese barbecue or grill (NOT teppanyaki) and even sometimes called korean barbecue or grill, so some korean restaurants could have it. Does anyone know of any place like that? After seeing so many pictures + info about yakiniku, I really want to try it.
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Post by ShadowWolf »

Ask and recieve

Yes, you will be pleased to know there are such restaurants and very close to the convention center, I may add. Fire and Ice is only about 3 blocks from the convention. The food wonderful, and the presentation and atmosphere is sensational.

Do yourself a favor and visit the Fire and Ice website.

If you're not looking for more of the shogun style, Kaze Shabu-Shabu is a restaurant located in Chinatown where you can prepare your own shabu-shabu. I also recommend this place highly.

Stop on by Kaze Shabu-Shabu's website to find out more!
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Post by ninja_girl21 »

i knew there be someone who said fire and ice that is good poopy man.it a tee ride but you can always switch lines.
i been going to anime boston since 2004
Pirate
AB Staff

Post by Pirate »

Fire and Ice is only a few blocks from the convention.
Rachel Jarnes
AB Security NCO 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
AB Security '12, '13, '14
Reg Manager '09, '10, '11
Volunteer '06, '07, '08
🏅Officially 11 years on staff!!🏅
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

There are 2 'Fire + Ice' in the Boston area.
Back Bay & Harvard Square.

The Back Bay location is right by the Arlington green line stop. which is just 2 stops away from both Hynes and Prudential.
Or: walk past the Pru, the Library, Copley Square, Trinity Church, and the Hancock building (the old building behind the Hancock tower). If you reach Park Plaza hotel, you've gone too far.
If the weather is nice, you'd make faster time walking, as to get out of Arlington station you have to walk a block underground (used to be straight up and out, but they couldn't put the Charlie system in that space, so they put it in the old secondary entrance and make everyone walk the length of the block underground)
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

While Fire and Ice is fabulous, it's not Japanese. ;)

If you're looking for authentic Japanese then your best bet is in Chinatown. Hop on the orange line and get off at Chinatown and there are a bunch of restaurants you might want. I don't suggest going there after dark, like 9pm. While Chinatown is awesome during the day, it can get pretty scary at night.

If you want to take a little bit of a trip, hop on the red line and get off at Porter, exit the station and walk for a couple minutes and you'll enter this mall type thing that is full of Japanese everything. It's a bit of a hike, but totally worth it.
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Post by ninja_girl21 »

thanks for that info i didnt know there more then one fire and ice. kk
i been going to anime boston since 2004
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

[quote=jessica]While Fire and Ice is fabulous, it's not Japanese. ;)

If you're looking for authentic Japanese then your best bet is in Chinatown. Hop on the orange line and get off at Chinatown and there are a bunch of restaurants you might want. I don't suggest going there after dark, like 9pm. While Chinatown is awesome during the day, it can get pretty scary at night.

If you want to take a little bit of a trip, hop on the red line and get off at Porter, exit the station and walk for a couple minutes and you'll enter this mall type thing that is full of Japanese everything. It's a bit of a hike, but totally worth it.[/quote]

It's called the Porter Exchange building. ^.^ Whenever I'm in cambride I try and eat there. (Unless I go to the garage mall.. the pizza place there is bomb.)
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=KitKat]
It's called the Porter Exchange building. ^.^ Whenever I'm in cambride I try and eat there. (Unless I go to the garage mall.. the pizza place there is bomb.)[/quote]

THANK YOU! I could not remember for the life of me.

I do agree, Crazy Doughs is bomb.

PROTIP: There's one a half a mile from the Hynes on Boylston st. (The Hynes is 900 Boylston and Crazy Doughs is 1124 ;) )
ironzen
Expert Poster

Post by ironzen »

cafe mami owns your life
Ranakori
Veteran Poster

Post by Ranakori »

Porter Exchange is lovely for Asian dining options. It has several cafes, a grocery, a bubble tea stand, a bakery stand, a knick knack shop, and a more upscale restaurant. I ate there all the time when I had a class there last semester (fun fact, all the upper floors of the Porter Exchange are classrooms for Lesley University). I highly recommend it for several affordable and portable eating options.

There's also a lot of good food around Harvard Square. I recommend 9 Tastes for some really good, really affordable Thai food (and I believe they also have vegetarian options). There are some Indian restaurants I've never tried. And a Wagamama, which has ramen and udon and the like. Wagamama is a little more expensive but your fifteen bucks will buy you a good mea with big portions. Upstairs from Wagamama are some other Asian restaurants and, I think, a shabu-shabu place.

Across the street from Wagamama is the Boston Tea Stop, my favorite bubble tea place in the world. They also have mochi and way more tea options than the bubble tea place in Porter.

I spend a lot of time in Harvard Square.
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

This is expensive and out of the way for anyone at the con, but for really authentic and very good Japanese food, I'd recommend Shiki in Coolidge Corner. You can take the C line to Coolidge Corner and it's right off Harvard Street.
brie84
Determined Poster

Post by brie84 »

oh man,they have the best food there. And bubble tea! I'm a big fan of coconut shakes myself, but I like going to Chinatown for that.
Ayako
I'm new!

Post by Ayako »

I know you can get yakiniku sets from JapaneseCool website. Was looking for cosplay socks there and stumbled across them. Hope it helps the yakiniku faithful here.
Mara
AB Alumni

Post by Mara »

Your best bet is the Porter Exchange. Cafe Mami has yakiniku.

As yakiniku is really referring to Korean barbecue, there's Apollo in Chinatown; never been, but I hear it's good. My favorite is Koreana, between Central and Inman Square in Cambridge. Koreana is where Korean pop stars go to eat when they're in town. It's wonderful. There are some Korean places in Allston; can't really vouch for them one way or another. I live on the South Shore. We go to King Korean BBQ in Canton sometimes; that's also really good (and has charcoal grills whereas Koreana has gas grills if you're picky about one or the other; Koreana has the better food).

Beyond the Porter Exchange, you don't really find any Japanese restaurants owned/operated by the Japanese around here. A lot of what you may find is Japanese/Korean. Authenticity is kind of a questionable term. Authentic in that the dishes are Japanese, are made by Japanese staff, made of imported ingredients, etc?

Check out the Boston Chowhound board or Yelp for more suggestions. Chowhound has the snobbier people, but they usually know what they're talking about. XD
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018