Marriott or Sheraton

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Jennifer
Expert Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Jennifer »

me and my friends are planning on getting a hotel rooms (one for boys other for girls).But my friends wanted to know if one hotel room at the Marriott is bigger then one at the Sheraton vis versa.Also which hotel you guys think think is better in terms of service.and any other tid bits would we so helpful.

Cant wait to see every1 at AB09 WOOT
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by KitKat »

Marriot is def. bigger, but you pay wayyy more for it. I personally prefer the sharaton because they've always treated me really well, while the Marriot really hasn't.
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Zigfried »

The Sheraton seems to be the better choice IMO, just because it is literally part of the convention. The proximity to all the events and Hynes makes it so convenient that I would choose the Sheraton over the Mariott if price weren't an option.

That's not to say that the Mariott is on the other side of Boston. It is connected to the Pru via an overpass. You do have to walk through the Pru, though, but its not that long of a walk and its always indoors. I have heard, though, that they close that overpass pretty early (like 12 AM). Anyone else know anything about this?

However, my friend's mother works at a Mariott and can get us a monster discount where we only have to pay $60 a night. I don't know much about the service at the Mariott, but for $60 a night, they could swear at me as I check in, give me a room with no furniture, and call me up just to yell at me. $60 a night is a godsend.
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by KitKat »

I'd also like to comment that while I like the sheraton better than the Marriot- I lik the people at the Hilton even better.
I even like the food there better. But they're smaller than the sheraton.
elphaba
Dedicated Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by elphaba »

Seeing as the Sheraton is the con hotel for the next two years, you're probably more likely to get a better rate. I also vote Sheraton just because it's that much closer to the con, plus a part of the con itself.

In 07, a bunch of my friends shared a room with just one king size bed. They fit five people in just fine, and only one person slept in the bed (the deal was he wasn't making anyone chip in for the room so he got the only bed). So I say Team Sheraton!
TenshiSelece
Getting the hang of this...

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by TenshiSelece »

i vote for Sheraton... i been going to anime boston since 06.. and Sheraton always been the best i was at the hilt...... and like they want to check all keys and everything... o.o... but Sheraton did not because they knew anime boston was huge and they dont mind alot of people in the room only if u guys keep it nice and not loud lol XD

GO SHERATON!!!
Jennifer
Expert Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Jennifer »

tx everyones been really helpful.also i was wondering what the discount is or has bee n in past years just so me n my friends av a idea
Fetch
Show-off

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Fetch »

Keep watching the animeboston.com page
As soon as the con rate rooms at the Sheraton become available, they'll tell us there.

DO NOT try to get a room before that annoucement. It will only cause you pain in both your soul and your wallet.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by marikotoeii »

just make sure you note this:

i thought that there was supposed to be a deposit in your first nights stay when you checked in - turned out they want you to pay the whole thing up front! i.e. first deposit equal to a credit card hold of the entire stay!

just be advised of this at the sheraton as well as most other hotels: this especially is a problem for the younger set that may not have $600 available credit and is planning on collecting money from people at con!
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by KitKat »

I just pay all cash up front anyway, even though I have a credit card balance big enough for it. ^^
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by basharoftheages »

Forum crashed last time I tried posting. =/

It's also important to note that the con hotel is the one with huge lines for check-in and check-out and excessive lines for the elevators. If you're splitting your room several ways, calculate what you're really paying and see what your time is worth.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Sakura1321
Experienced Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Sakura1321 »

sheraton definitely better
i heard a rumor last year that they actually might host some official events in the sheraton for AB09
JReckers
AB Staff

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by JReckers »

[quote=My_Wayward_Son]I have heard, though, that they close that overpass pretty early (like 12 AM). Anyone else know anything about this?[/quote]

I am not 100% sure as to the exact times the overpass is closed, but at AB2008 the overpass was never closed when I tried to go across it. I definitely crossed it later than midnight (about 1:00 IIRC), and as early as 6:30am.

edit: Even if it's closed, there is a staircase down and it's just a walk across the street at street level. At the times the overpass will be closed, traffic will be minimal.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
Fetch
Show-off

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Fetch »

The Marriott-Prudential overpass is closed from 2am to 5am

I'm pretty sure those are the times. It might be 2-6.
Darkend
Veteran Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Darkend »

According to Email recieved from the Prudential mall security, 2AM to 5 is correct. Thank you Fetch. Upon asking special Hynes functions he said he was not clear of the times, but they were diffrent.
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Gollum »

[quote=Sakura1321]sheraton definitely better
i heard a rumor last year that they actually might host some official events in the sheraton for AB09 [/quote]
In the past the Sheraton has been used for the Registration, the Dance, and the Game Room. The only reason this wasn't the case in 08 is because the Sheraton wasn't the con hotel due to it already being booked by another event.
TK2K
Experienced Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by TK2K »

If you're getting it for kids keep in mind the Marriot is a lot further away.

you have to walk through the prudential center (which is completely safe) to get to the marriot. It's just a bit of a walk (5 mins) and if you're a concerned parent, it might be better to just go for the Sheraton
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by masterofplush »

well ive been thinking of the praticality of booking a hotel room i live in wakefield mass literaly right nextdoor to the comuterail (its loud and annoying)and i pretty sure it wouldn't be to much of a hassle to get there and back and its cheaper (though that doesn't matter becouse this is my birthday present
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
Jennifer
Expert Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Jennifer »

i'm the kid (16 to be exact) my moms gonna be there but she'll prob get her own room.But me and my friends are all gonna squash into one room.Cuz in my
Yubel Cosplay it'll be easier to get ready if cause i wake up late and this is to also insure i dont my sat craftsmanship judging too
JayyEsquire

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by JayyEsquire »

Register for your room a good month before AB, as well. (Sometimes even before that is better.)

Do not make the mistake of trying to register only a week before. We couldn't find a room, and ended up having to drive for two hours both ways to get to the con. D;
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by KitKat »

[quote=JayyEsquire]Register for your room a good month before AB, as well. (Sometimes even before that is better.)

Do not make the mistake of trying to register only a week before. We couldn't find a room, and ended up having to drive for two hours both ways to get to the con. D;[/quote]

Note: If this happens to you evr again look at Hotwire. For '08 I thought I was just going to commute untill two friends called me about a hotel room two days before con. I booked through Hotwire for the Hilton the night before the convention, paid less than the year before, and got great service. Plus sits like that have you pay when you book not when you arrive so you don't have to worry about the how-tos or anything. I just got the money, eposited it in my bank, booked with my debit card.
All we had to do was show up to get our room keys and we were right across the street from the con.
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by masterofplush »

well the thing is i am going to anime boston for my sweet sixteen (along with all my friends who are into anime so lik 5 at most) but so far its me my dad to friends of mine who are girls and my boyfriend and i am not sure how that would work i mean all the girls could share a bed or the floor my dad (doesn't matter if its my birthday) will get the bed becouse well hes paying for the room and letting us drag him around but my boyfriend is the problem i am not sure what my dad would say about sleeping in the same room and it feels unconventional to get two rooms i don't know mabye it would be ok becouse dad would also be in the same room
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
TK2K
Experienced Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by TK2K »

[quote=JayyEsquire]Register for your room a good month before AB, as well. (Sometimes even before that is better.)

Do not make the mistake of trying to register only a week before. We couldn't find a room, and ended up having to drive for two hours both ways to get to the con. D;[/quote]

book it like... at least 2 months in advance...
Jennifer
Expert Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Jennifer »

oh dont worry as soon as the site updates and shows the hotels prices for ab09 im booking it
nenie
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by nenie »

My friend told me that the Sheraton is already booked, even before AB08 was even over. :(

Man!
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Zigfried »

That's such a lie that I don't know how to respond other than: FAIL!

The discount rates (rates that poor cosplayers like us rely on to make it through the convention) don't go up until waaaaayy after pre-reg goes online, which won't be up for a good couple of months. To assume that there is a person out there that has the dubious foresight to book a hotel room a year in advance, then multiply that by ALL the rooms in the Sheraton (not just the discount party block) is really foolhardy.

Sounds like you were just a victim of scare tactics.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by BlackSunRising »

I thought both hotels were nice...I liked the Marriott, my boyfriend prefers the Sheraton.
mjgosselin

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by mjgosselin »

The advantage of the Sheraton is proximity. It's right downstairs.

Now, if you want to get away from some people, for a while, go with the Marriott.
nenie
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by nenie »

oh okay, thank goodness. :o

I have a question, When would it be the best time to reserve for the Sheraton?
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
Fetch
Show-off

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Fetch »

Check the AB site at least once a week.
When you see that they have announced the rate for the Sheraton is in place, that is when you rez your room.

They that get their rooms before then are foolish, for they are spending money that would be much better spent in the Dealer's Room and/or Artist's Alley.
nenie
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by nenie »

oh, well thankyou. I will check.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by ShadowWolf »

[quote=Fetch]Check the AB site at least once a week.
When you see that they have announced the rate for the Sheraton is in place, that is when you rez your room.

They that get their rooms before then are foolish, for they are spending money that would be much better spent in the Dealer's Room and/or Artist's Alley.[/quote]

>_>
You can ALWAYS get your room way before time, even before rates go up. This assures you a room, regardless. Once the discounted rates go up, cancel your reservation and request a new reservation. This makes for a win-win solution.
Fetch
Show-off

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Fetch »

BAD ShadowWolf. Bad!

My friend tried doing that for a con once. It backfired on him because the hotel wouldn't let him reserve a room at the con rate, due to the convention block being full. They told him they could put his original reservation back, but they would have to charge him an extra fee, due to rooms for that weekend now being at a premium.

ALWAYS wait for the convention you're going to to announce that they have a deal with the hotel for a lower price.
BDragonD24
Committed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by BDragonD24 »

That is correct and also realize that even if the block isn't full the hotel, any hotel, can refuse to give you the discounted rate if you reserved before hand and then cancelled. They then can refuse to give you your earlier reservation back as well. That happened to someone I know and when asked why, the hotel quoted some policy or another. So as Fetch stated, wait it's always better and definitely the safer way to go.
Nosut
Veteran Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Nosut »

[quote=BDragonD24]That is correct and also realize that even if the block isn't full the hotel, any hotel, can refuse to give you the discounted rate if you reserved before hand and then cancelled. They then can refuse to give you your earlier reservation back as well. That happened to someone I know and when asked why, the hotel quoted some policy or another. So as Fetch stated, wait it's always better and definitely the safer way to go. [/quote]

how about the work around? if the hotel works like then then since your going with roommates what if you did this.

Have two people willing to reserve a room right? One reserves one now while the rooms are not sure high but also not discounted. Then when the discount comes have the other person try to reserve that room. Since its two different cards and two different names the hotel can not do anything. If the second person gets the cheaper room cancel the first one. If they dont get a cheaper room keep the first one.....this is the true win-win!!
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by H. Guderian »

Unless everyone did that, and then since so many people were booking normal-rate rooms they decide to not expand the convention discount block since so many non-discount customers are entering that city for god-knows-what.

So even that has a potential of backfiring to a degree.

This is definately a case I'd say to just play by the books. What if the friend in the two-friend system fails in the agreement at some point? Its fun to think of good schemes, but its not worth the effort.
Akimichi Sazuki
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Akimichi Sazuki »

when getting a room, the metaphor "The early bird gets the worm" deffinitly comes into play. i would get a room the second the prices show up on the website.
You will never understand the depth of our pride
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by daisuke88 »

about WHEN do the prices come up on the site? (i'd just like to know how long i need to be waiting...) like, how long before the con, usually?
Fetch
Show-off

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Fetch »

If you call the Sheraton (make sure it's the Back Bay one, due to their being more than 1 Sheraton in Boston) you can get the rate for Anime Boston.

It isn't up on their website yet. I believe that the AB staff is waiting to announce it until it is available online.
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by daisuke88 »

okay, thanks. =) i don't think i'm gunna book there, but it's good to know...

last year i was at the westin, and we got a cheaper room than the AB one, so we'll probably do that instead...
-RINGO-

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by -RINGO- »

I am planning to stay at the Hilton with some friends because one of their dads works for them and can get a discount. So the room should be cheaper, but are the standard rooms much smaller? We probably will not be in there much, but I just wanted to know. thanks
coolforever
AB Alumni

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by coolforever »

I stayed at the Westin at Anime Boston 2006 and 2008. 2007 we stayed at the Sheraton, and I SO want to stay there again. I wonder though, are the gaming rooms going to be in the same locations like they were in 2007...
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Graceria
I'm Special!

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Graceria »

I stayed at the Mariott last year and I was happy with it. I got it at a really cheap price, too. Gotta love Hotwire.com. lol I'd honestly rather be in the Sheraton, though. Just for the convience of not having to go outside to get to the con. Freezing my butt off or having my costume get damaged by bad weather is no fun. I'm going to use Hotwire again, though, because we can't afford more than $150 a night for a hotel room. So, I guess we'll just have to hope we get lucky this year. Otherwise, I'm fine with the Mariott.
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by daisuke88 »

huh, so why do you like the sheraton better? just because it's closer?
Graceria
I'm Special!

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Graceria »

Because it's directly attached to the convention center which saves me from having to go outside in costume, possibly causing wind or rain damage to it or freezing my butt off (like last year). Dress + March convention + having to cross a street which acts like a wind tunnel = VEEEEERY cold me. lol With the wings I'm going to be wearing this year, I'd really rather not risk the wind and rain factors if at all avoidable.
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by KitKat »

Yeah, I was at the Hilton last year and while nothing got damaged it was FREEZING crossing the street.
I'm rooming with more people this year though, so I'll be at the Sheraton anyway. It has bigger rooms.
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Zigfried »

Remember that the con is in May this year, so even though it is New England, the chances of freezing temperatures in May are relatively low. And if those damn April showers just stay in April, we should have nice, warm weather for the con. And flowers.
Graceria
I'm Special!

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Graceria »

True. But that doesn't rule out wind. Back in... 2006, I think it was, my mom was wearing her wedding hat (she's the hat lady, aka Mamma Kurata) and, while we were crossing the street, the wind kicked up and snapped her balsa wood fan in half. So, even without the cold and the rain, I prefer to avoid going outdoors. Don't want my feathers getting ripped off my wings. I suppose I could cover them with trash bags when crossing the street...
Fetch
Show-off

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by Fetch »

Boston is a very windy city.
In some parts, due to the buildings, you get microbursts of 20 mph on a calm day to over 60 mph on a windy day. They only last a few seconds, but it's enough to send everything flying.

A few years ago, I saw a pigeon that was on the ground next to a building in Back Bay get shot UP the side of the building at least 3 stories before it opened it wings.
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Marriott or Sheraton

Post by daisuke88 »

huh...when i was at the westin i never went outside once...there's always a way of walking there without going outside. XD