Vegan eating in Boston

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
eidna
Determined Poster

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by eidna »

Are there any vegan restaurants or places with a lot of veg options around? I know there's plenty in Boston as a whole, but I'm not sure what's near the con itself. Anyone have any suggestions? :)
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Mizu
Dedicated Poster

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by Mizu »

your best bet as a vegan is going to the Shaws which is right next to the Prudential center and doing your own shopping. They have a big variety of options for premade stuff as well. Most places nearby will have a few vegan options that are boring and uninspired or are very overpriced and pointlessly fancy for fueling yourself up for a con. Also, it depends on how strictly vegan you are. Do you refuse to eat refined sugar because it might be ground up with animal bones? If not, you might be okay with a few of the places in the Prudential foodcourt. Honestly though, the Shaws has whole aisles of options for you, and a very lovely produce department.
AliceTanzer
Show-off

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by AliceTanzer »

There's also a Trader Joe's right by the convention center which would probably have a lot of options.

The Boston Vegetarian Society also has a list of Vegetarian Restaraunts, which has information about all sorts of restaurants in Boston, including "T.J. Scallywaggle's Vegan House of Pizza and Subs".

:)
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
eidna
Determined Poster

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by eidna »

[quote=Mizu]your best bet as a vegan is going to the Shaws which is right next to the Prudential center and doing your own shopping. They have a big variety of options for premade stuff as well. Most places nearby will have a few vegan options that are boring and uninspired or are very overpriced and pointlessly fancy for fueling yourself up for a con. Also, it depends on how strictly vegan you are. Do you refuse to eat refined sugar because it might be ground up with animal bones? If not, you might be okay with a few of the places in the Prudential foodcourt. Honestly though, the Shaws has whole aisles of options for you, and a very lovely produce department.
[/quote]

Indeed, I frequent both Shaws and Trader Joes, but sometimes I want to go out to eat with my omnivore boyfriend, haha. :P I suppose you're right, though...why spend money on overpriced rice balls when I can go to Shaws and just munch on an apple? :) Thanks for your help!
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by Mosquito1945 »

There are a lot of options in Chinatown (a few stops down on the green line). I usually hit Happy Buddah, but that's strictly veg. friendly, so no luck with the boyfriend. I've gotten my meat eating brother to eat there though- he finds the idea of veg-"meat" fascinating.
Also, there is a sushi restaurant (Haru) in the Pru...well, the door is outside, but it's in the same building (almost under the sky bridge thing as I recall.) which has a really good and interesting vegetarian sushi plate (i.e. not just cucumber rolls). They run a bit on the more expensive side, but I found it to be worth it the last time I was in.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
AliceTanzer
Show-off

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by AliceTanzer »

Happy Buddha is pretty fantastic. They have not meat versions of all sorts of different meats!
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'06 Security

Nick

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by Nick »

[quote=AliceTanzer]Happy Buddha is pretty fantastic. They have not meat versions of all sorts of different meats![/quote]

is happy buddha the old buddha's delight restaurant? i know they moved, but did they change names as well?

if they did change their name, you should definitely check them out. they have tofu chicken fingers that taste just like chicken.
Nick Bennett-Zendzian
Lapsed Staff Member of AB's Past

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
AliceTanzer
Show-off

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=Nick][quote=AliceTanzer]Happy Buddha is pretty fantastic. They have not meat versions of all sorts of different meats![/quote]

is happy buddha the old buddha's delight restaurant? i know they moved, but did they change names as well?

if they did change their name, you should definitely check them out. they have tofu chicken fingers that taste just like chicken. [/quote]

Oh biscuits, am I thinking of the wrong place?
*hunts around on the internet*
I _am_ thinking of Buddha's Delight, not Happy Buddha. Grarg! Sorry!
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'06 Security

qanax
Experienced Poster

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by qanax »

Though it is a little farther away, if you've got a vehicle, or don't mind paying for a quick taxi ride. (not sure if they deliver) Grasshopper is a great vegan restaurant.

http://www.vegdining.com/GetRest.cfm?rk ... BOST-GRASS
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by Mosquito1945 »

I wondered why I couldn't find Buddha's Delight the last few times I went to Chinatown. It's good to know that the possibility is there that I hadn't gone completely insane and misplaced it!
Both are good and have non-meat meat. I'm trying to remember what I usually get what I'm there...probably something with coconut (It's been a while).

Also, found a new place- Wagamama. It's not strictly vegan/veg (which helps the original poster and her boyfriend) but has many items that are. It's a noodle place and it's big enough to accommodate larger parties-there's one in Harvard Square (right up the street from Tokyo Kid) and one in Faneuil Hall(apparently, I haven't been there, but that's what the website says.)
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
sakurasake
Getting the hang of this...

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by sakurasake »

Veganism ftw <3
If you often get cravings for a plate of subzi curry as do I, it says there's an Indian restaurant in the Prudential mall, "Gourmet India", which I'll assume must have some vegan selection..hopefully...and then in the area there's a place called "Bhindi Bazaar"? :P
0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r
Veteran Poster

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by 0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r »

I must Concur Grasshopper is quite awesome.
I would personaly just B-green line it to Harvard Ave since it's only a few blocks from there.
Kyo
Expert Poster

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by Kyo »

[quote=Keito.chan]Also, found a new place- Wagamama. It's not strictly vegan/veg (which helps the original poster and her boyfriend) but has many items that are. It's a noodle place and it's big enough to accommodate larger parties-there's one in Harvard Square (right up the street from Tokyo Kid) and one in Faneuil Hall(apparently, I haven't been there, but that's what the website says.)[/quote]
They just opened one up in the Prudential Center. It's located in the Fashion Court, right across from the Food Court. It's a really nice place, and closer to Hynes.
Ichthyos
I'm new!

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by Ichthyos »

I highly recommend The Other Side Cafe at the corner of Newbury St. and Mass Ave (less than a 5 minute walk from the con) for great vegan breakfast and lunch options. They also have terrific vegan cookies.
user

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by user »

If you want to treat yourself go to Grezzo’s in the North End. It’s a high-end, 100% raw-organic-vegan restaurant.
noclass

Vegan eating in Boston

Post by noclass »

[quote=Kyo][quote=Keito.chan]Also, found a new place- Wagamama. It's not strictly vegan/veg (which helps the original poster and her boyfriend) but has many items that are. It's a noodle place and it's big enough to accommodate larger parties-there's one in Harvard Square (right up the street from Tokyo Kid) and one in Faneuil Hall(apparently, I haven't been there, but that's what the website says.)[/quote]
They just opened one up in the Prudential Center. It's located in the Fashion Court, right across from the Food Court. It's a really nice place, and closer to Hynes.[/quote]

wagamama is backed. grasshopper is also really awesome