Charile Card

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
k2thyme
Experienced Poster

Charile Card

Post by k2thyme »

Sorry for posting two in a row, but could someone explain the charlie card thing to me? i'm confused on it http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... d#ref_rf-4 .
Eimi
Show-off

Charile Card

Post by Eimi »

A Charlie Card is a plastic card you pick up at most T stations (like government center) and then you use the tap and load machines to add a value to them. With the Charlie Card a single T ride is only $1.70. These are hard plastic cards that you reuse

A Charlie Ticket is a temporary thing you throw away. It's $2.00 a ride and you just throw them away when you're done. You can buy them at any station.

So if you're in Boston alot, its worth picking up a Charlie Card, if not, the Charlie Ticket is more convenient.
k2thyme
Experienced Poster

Charile Card

Post by k2thyme »

T station? Do you mean a train station? Do you use these for trains or subways or can you use them for both?
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Charile Card

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=k2thyme]T station? Do you mean a train station? Do you use these for trains or subways or can you use them for both?[/quote]
subways... and if I'm not mistaken, buses as well

not trains... gotta shell out cash for that, or if you buy your tickets at a station that will accept, use credit cards. Despite popular belief, our commuter rail system is not a part of the MBTA... and the conductors just love to remind people of that fact :/

EDIT - ah, according to the MBTA's Charlie Card FAQ, they are working on accepting Charlie Cards for MBCR trains in 2008. Not sure if that will be in time for the con, but we'll see.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/
Last edited by xenocrisis0153 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: stated within
Vu
AB Staff

Charile Card

Post by Vu »

[quote=k2thyme]T station? Do you mean a train station? Do you use these for trains or subways or can you use them for both?[/quote]
You can use them for all trolleys (Green, Red, Blue, and Orange) and buses. For most of Green line stops, which are above ground, you can use the Charlie Card or Charlie Ticket as you board the trolley. For the other three, you have to enter the station underground, which you pay from there.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Fetch
Show-off

Charile Card

Post by Fetch »

You can purchase Commuter Rail tickets at any Charlie Card machine. Using cash or credit.

You just have to know what zone the station you're going to is in so that you get the right ticket. Thankfully, that info is printed on the Commuter Rail schedules.

I think that's how it's going to work for awhile, since outfitting the conductors with portable card swipers isn't something the MBTA or Amtrak can really afford these days.
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Charile Card

Post by ninja_girl21 »

keep in mind it cost you two dollars or more depending were you going lol. always go to the route before hand so you dont get lost that way your remember it :thumbup:
i been going to anime boston since 2004
The Hag
Expert Poster

Charile Card

Post by The Hag »

[quote=k2thyme]Sorry for posting two in a row, but could someone explain the charlie card thing to me? i'm confused on it http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... d#ref_rf-4 .[/quote]

Keep in mind - despite claims by the MBTA that you can get a Charlie Card at most stations, the reality is that they are so hard to get a hold of it's become something of a local joke. Station personnel always seem to be out of them. You can ask the attendant - you might luck out - but if you're not a regular user of the T, it's probably not worth trying to chase one down. You can just use the Charlie Ticket - it's only 0.30 more.
Fetch
Show-off

Charile Card

Post by Fetch »

South Station, North Station, Back Bay Station.
Those 3 are your best chance of getting one.

Oh, and for ALL info on the MBTA, just go to MBTA.com
The Hag
Expert Poster

Charile Card

Post by The Hag »

True - though I've personally been denied at both North Station and Back Bay. (I'm frequently trying to score them for out-of-town visitors and my kids who routinely lose theirs). It's always worth asking, but one is often disappointed!
fizzliz
Expert Poster

Charile Card

Post by fizzliz »

You can also order a Charlie Card online from the MBTA Website. You can get them pre-loaded with 5, 10, or 20 dollars, and shipping is free as long as you opt for US Postal Service delivery.
jnik
Show-off

Charile Card

Post by jnik »

[quote=Fetch]South Station, North Station, Back Bay Station.
Those 3 are your best chance of getting one.[/quote]
The customer service center is in Downtown Crossing, so I suspect that's the best bet.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Charile Card

Post by Phantom 1 »

'T' is, of course, short for MB'T'A, which in turn is short for Massachusetts Bay Transport Authority. It covers subways, trolleys, busses, even some trains (I've seen the logo on some trains at South Station). But I got my Charlie Ticket online and that's the best (and arguably the cheapest) way to get one.
Mizu
Dedicated Poster

Charile Card

Post by Mizu »

The whole Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket confusion is nothing to be ashamed of, Boston residents were terribly confused at first, too. But keep in mind, if you're coming into town just for the con, and don't mind 20 minute walks, the chances of your needing a charlie card are minimal at best. Literally, anything you might need is available within a 20 minute walk (and unless you need to go to an art museum or accelerate some particles into each other, it's more like 15) of the Hynes and Prudential. There's a grocery store with a really big selection for toiletries, at least two drug stores, and loads of interesting restaurants. And if you've driven in and parked in one of the commuter rail stations, that's only two ways you'll need to ride the T, and it isn't worth the hassle of getting a charlie card to save 60 cents. Heck, even the theater district is walkable, if you want some non-anime culture while you're in town.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Charile Card

Post by Phantom 1 »

Non-anime culture? :o ROFLMAO! :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't help it. Anywho, you're right in that you can walk to a lot of places in Boston, but if the weather is bad, the Charlie Card is like the golden ticket to the Chocolate Factory that is the T.
Fetch
Show-off

Charile Card

Post by Fetch »

Also, whatever money you put on the CharlieCard is good for 18 months.
So you could get one, put $5.10 on it (3 rides), and when you come back for AB'09, you'll still have a ride on it.

Or, to think of it another way:
It doesn't cost any money to get one, just to use it.
Do you know of any other city that hands out free "I have this, so I've been there" stuff?