Best places to eat near con center

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
XanSpiraken
Experienced Poster

Best places to eat near con center

Post by XanSpiraken »

So Anime Boston has arrived once again. Here is the question though, where do you recommend eating at. Post your local eating spots here, so we don;t have to eat the same crap in the providence food court.
Running manga panels all over the con
Cosplay
Friday Last Stand Spider-man
Saturday blue jacket lupin III
Sunday: Xan Host of Spiraken Manga Review Podcast and Panelist extraordinare
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Re: Best places to eat near con center

Post by Anna-neko »

walk to Newbury St for Trident (food x bookstore, last year then had anime themed drinks for the con!), walk to Mass Ave for B. Good burger
across street from Hynes heading towards Newbury (the street with the firehouse!) has an excellent ramen shop
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Thortons!
Diagonally across from the Cheesecakefactory/pru T line entrance of the prudential center. It's cheap! It's good! It's American comfort food.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

The Pour House on Boylston Street.

On Sat. nights they have 1/2 price burgers from 6PM-10PM, and their breakfast/brunch is excellent, too. They also have 1/2 price chicken sandwiches on Wed. nights from 6PM-10PM, and 1/2 price Mexican food on Thurs. nights from 6PM-10PM. ALL their food is great. :) :)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 pm The Pour House on Boylston Street.

On Sat. nights they have 1/2 price burgers from 6PM-10PM, and their breakfast/brunch is excellent, too. They also have 1/2 price chicken sandwiches on Wed. nights from 6PM-10PM, and 1/2 price Mexican food on Thurs. nights from 6PM-10PM. ALL their food is great. :) :)
It also has the benefit of being almost directly across the street from the Hynes.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

If you haven't been to the Hynes Cafeteria (1st Floor), they sell smoked Turkey legs ($10 each). Holy hell. I mustered up the discipline to only buy one yesterday afternoon. I have my new daily fix at Con now LOL.I'll take a picture the next time I get one.

...That and maybe 3 other stuff on the menu are worth going to the Hynes Cafeteria for despite the pricing. Pizza's a definite pass. Assume's been sitting there for a while unless you see them put it out when you get there. The burgers, hot dogs and fries are sold fast enough to say they'll be fresh you when get to them. The premade salads are good for the day. Bottled drinks...goes without saying (LOL).

The taco bowls were their bestseller yesterday according to the shift manager I talked to. Second were the Asian bowls followed by French Fry Cups in Third.

If you want better, go elsewhere. Goes without saying. Because of the weather and especially because of the security checkpoints, more and more folks are electing to bite the bullet and buy food in the Hynes. Aside from the main cafeteria there are food stalls set up on both ends of the second floor and in the hallway of the third floor where the Video Game Room is. They sell burgers, hot dogs and salads prepared in the cafeteria as well as drinks.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Bumping this thread because I'm wondering if there's been any change since the last con, and this is (despite being old) the precise topic I'm wondering about. Anyone?
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

DocWatson wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 am Bumping this thread because I'm wondering if there's been any change since the last con, and this is (despite being old) the precise topic I'm wondering about. Anyone?

Here is what is in the mall now.

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/dine_name.html

There are a lot of places around (outside) the mall. Boylston St has quite a few. I always recommend the Poor house and McGreevey's.
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
NaraHale
Experienced Poster

Post by NaraHale »

There are plenty of places on Newbury street as well, which is one street over, though some of them are a little pricier, some of them are still not too bad.

I went and had some quite excellent Indian food last year, they didn't seem to mind the cosplay, though I think their restaurant was a little off the path for the usual congoers.
--------------------------------------------------------
Anime Boston 2022 Tentative Lineup
Fem!Joe (sk8 the infinity) - Friday
Lady Love Dies (Paradise Killer) - Saturday
Sango (InuYasha) - Sunday
Backups:
Sonia (Pokémon)
Nobara Kugisaki (Jujutsu Kaisen)
Bakubabe (My Hero Academia Original Costume)
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

Whiskey's is a good restaurant! Good wings and cheese fries. Also pretty cosplay- friendly; we had a nice conversation with some parents who had dropped off their child at the con and wanted to know more.
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Isn't exactly fine dining but I need to hit Pizza Regina near Fenway every year. Since I only get one chance to eat there a year I take it.
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

waynoinsano wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm Isn't exactly fine dining but I need to hit Pizza Regina near Fenway every year. Since I only get one chance to eat there a year I take it.

Decent pizza, but not exactly close to the con :-)

One thing to remember, the places I post before are going to be very busy during the con. You might be better off going outside somewhere.
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Lamron wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Decent pizza, but not exactly close to the con :-)

One thing to remember, the places I post before are going to be very busy during the con. You might be better off going outside somewhere.
I should have specified I go there day 0 thrus after i get my badge
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Selestyl wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm Whiskey's is a good restaurant! Good wings and cheese fries. Also pretty cosplay- friendly; we had a nice conversation with some parents who had dropped off their child at the con and wanted to know more.
Whiskeys is actually really good and waayyy less hectic than Pour House tends to get on Saturday night. It's actually why I went there in the first place. No regrets. Good food and reasonable prices.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Tzumi
I'm new!

Post by Tzumi »

I did some looking around the convention, and there's a good ramen shop right outside the Hynes. It's called Hokkaido Santouka I believe, though the place does seem a bit small.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Tzumi wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 am I did some looking around the convention, and there's a good ramen shop right outside the Hynes. It's called Hokkaido Santouka I believe, though the place does seem a bit small.
From the Yelp reviews, small is an understatement. It seats less than 20 people and lines form before it opens.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

BasharOfTheAges wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm
Tzumi wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 am I did some looking around the convention, and there's a good ramen shop right outside the Hynes. It's called Hokkaido Santouka I believe, though the place does seem a bit small.
From the Yelp reviews, small is an understatement. It seats less than 20 people and lines form before it opens.
Can absolutely confirm this - going before opening doesn't guarantee you'll get a seat right away. I would put money down that they will be swamped come April.
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Lamron wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm
DocWatson wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 am Bumping this thread because I'm wondering if there's been any change since the last con, and this is (despite being old) the precise topic I'm wondering about. Anyone?

Here is what is in the mall now.

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/dine_name.html

There are a lot of places around (outside) the mall. Boylston St has quite a few. I always recommend the Poor house and McGreevey's.
Thank you, and all the rest of you who responded. :D