Traveling around boston after midnight

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
simspet
Getting the hang of this...

Traveling around boston after midnight

Post by simspet »

Ok so I've never had to travel around boston after midnight but Im gonna have to this weekend cause how can I say no to all those 18+ panels :lol: But I digress, mbta stopped late night service earlier this month. So is taking uber or walking pretty much my only options for getting back to my hotel?
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Traveling around boston after midnight

Post by Aurabolt »

In short: Yes.

Unfortunately, annual events with programming after Midnight are not enough of a reason for the MBTA, the State House and the City to justify having the MBTA run 24/7, which has been asked for in the past. The demand isn't big enough yet. Politics saw the death of the Night Owl service for the second time in 10 years. It ran from Midnight to 5AM and provided service to all the MBTA stations as well as major bus routes.

As a reminder the MBTA shuts down at 12:35AM. Service sharply drops after 10PM. By 11:30PM there's no more than 2 trains per direction in service on all lines. The final train on ALL train lines in either direction leaves at 12:35AM. So for example if you're taking the Orange Line from Back Bay, the final train of the day leaves both Forest Hills and Oak Grove at 12:35AM. I personally confirmed that last summer just to find out for myself. Miss both trains and your only hope is to either call a cab or use a ride-sharing service.

So in short: If you plan to be at the Hynes after 11:30PM, plan to take a cab back. I plan to get on the MBTA at 11:30PM Saturday night, go to Forest Hills and take a cab the rest of the way home (I live 7 miles from Forest Hills). So, yeah.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
simspet

Post by simspet »

Aurabolt wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:02 am In short: Yes.

Unfortunately, annual events with programming after Midnight are not enough of a reason for the MBTA, the State House and the City to justify having the MBTA run 24/7, which has been asked for in the past. The demand isn't big enough yet. Politics saw the death of the Night Owl service for the second time in 10 years. It ran from Midnight to 5AM and provided service to all the MBTA stations as well as major bus routes.

As a reminder the MBTA shuts down at 12:35AM. Service sharply drops after 10PM. By 11:30PM there's no more than 2 trains per direction in service on all lines. The final train on ALL train lines in either direction leaves at 12:35AM. So for example if you're taking the Orange Line from Back Bay, the final train of the day leaves both Forest Hills and Oak Grove at 12:35AM. I personally confirmed that last summer just to find out for myself. Miss both trains and your only hope is to either call a cab or use a ride-sharing service.

So in short: If you plan to be at the Hynes after 11:30PM, plan to take a cab back. I plan to get on the MBTA at 11:30PM Saturday night, go to Forest Hills and take a cab the rest of the way home (I live 7 miles from Forest Hills). So, yeah.
Thanks! My hotel is only a mile down the road so if I do walk it's not the end of the world and uber pool is only $2.25
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

simspet wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks! My hotel is only a mile down the road so if I do walk it's not the end of the world and uber pool is only $2.25
Late-night service ended earlier this month? It actually ended prior to Anime Boston 2016. To be honest, there actually was demand for a later service due to the fact that many workers actually leave late at night, myself included. In fact, when they had a community meeting regarding the MBTA in general in Chelsea, they were surprised when I said that the 1am bus was usually full to capacity.

Also worth sharing is one of Chelsea's council members came out saying the MBTA has mismanaged the whole late night service to the point of failure from the beginning. What I mean is the trial, which typically is 1 year. He said that people will typically not use the service if they knew it wouldn't stay and that is exactly what happened and that more people will use it if it lasted longer. In my opinion, the service failed for a variety of reason, which I became very vocal about it. If you want to know what my thoughts were on it, you can read it here.

Also regarding Uber, please take note that around 12am-3am, the prices jumps from 2X to 5X the original price, depending on where you are being picked up.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
simspet

Post by simspet »

Elli21486 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:20 pm
simspet wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

Late-night service ended earlier this month? It actually ended prior to Anime Boston 2016. To be honest, there actually was demand for a later service due to the fact that many workers actually leave late at night, myself included. In fact, when they had a community meeting regarding the MBTA in general in Chelsea, they were surprised when I said that the 1am bus was usually full to capacity.

Also worth sharing is one of Chelsea's council members came out saying the MBTA has mismanaged the whole late night service to the point of failure from the beginning. What I mean is the trial, which typically is 1 year. He said that people will typically not use the service if they knew it wouldn't stay and that is exactly what happened and that more people will use it if it lasted longer. In my opinion, the service failed for a variety of reason, which I became very vocal about it. If you want to know what my thoughts were on it, you can read it here.

Also regarding Uber, please take note that around 12am-3am, the prices jumps from 2X to 5X the original price, depending on where you are being picked up.
Ah ok thanks for the info on uber, was just planning on taking uber pool so that's a lot cheaper to start with, I mean who doesn't wanna ride in a car with a superhero lmao
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Elli21486 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Oh don't get me wrong Late Night Service NEEDS to make a comeback. The demand is certainly there. I agree with you on it being mismanaged before, probably on purpose if I had to guess. The problem like I said before is politics. Plus you have those in Western MA who are angry about paying taxes for a transit service they don't have access to.

I know alot of folks who depended on the Late Night Service to get home for work and in some cases, get TO work. The policy makers don't care is the problem.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^