Has anyone been to the St. Francis Chapel or the Skyway Observatory?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
KQBeans
Experienced Poster

Has anyone been to the St. Francis Chapel or the Skyway Observatory?

Post by KQBeans »

I'm seeing on the Prudential map that there is a chapel, St. Francis, right inside the mall! (First time I've ever seen that!)

Further research on the mall's site tells of times they have scheduled masses, but I'm not quite sure what the "Skyway Observatory" is. It sounds intriguing and I was wondering if anyone's ever been to these two locations, and if so, what was it like?

(For the record, I don't plan on cosplaying in the church, for obvious reasons xD Skyway...If it allows it, would not be adverse to. :) )
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Re: Has anyone been to the St. Francis Chapel or the Skyway Observatory?

Post by Anna-neko »

*raises hand* been
so Skyway is the 50th floor of the Prudential, and basically you see all a lot of Boston from up there. It's the highest point from which you can as a tourist really, its not free!! (almost 20bucks? Haven't been up there in over a decade, dunno if prices changed)

if you're interested in pretty churches (to look at i guess... I dunno any services hours), Trinity or Old South on Copley Sq is actually a better visit
Old South Church is free and has aaaaaaaamazing stained glass windows and a nifty bell tower to stare up at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/annaneko/8650172101/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/annaneko/8649303219/ (ehh, we were doing a photoshoot there, but u can see what I mean in the background!)

Trinity is THE church of Copley Sq but it's not free. If you want the tour (they tell u ALL the things about it) or just walk inside by yourself to see the stained glass and amazing wood decor - you gotta pay $7
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

AnnaNeko wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 pm *raises hand* been
so Skyway is the 50th floor of the Prudential, and basically you see all a lot of Boston from up there. It's the highest point from which you can as a tourist really, its not free!! (almost 20bucks? Haven't been up there in over a decade, dunno if prices changed)

if you're interested in pretty churches (to look at i guess... I dunno any services hours), Trinity or Old South on Copley Sq is actually a better visit
Old South Church is free and has aaaaaaaamazing stained glass windows and a nifty bell tower to stare up at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/annaneko/8650172101/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/annaneko/8649303219/ (ehh, we were doing a photoshoot there, but u can see what I mean in the background!)

Trinity is THE church of Copley Sq but it's not free. If you want the tour (they tell u ALL the things about it) or just walk inside by yourself to see the stained glass and amazing wood decor - you gotta pay $7
It's actually called Skywalk Observatory. Here is their website that lists the ticket prices and also shows when they are going to be closed for private events or other reasons.
http://skywalkboston.com/tickets/
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Fetch wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am
so Skyway is the 50th floor of the Prudential
It's actually called Skywalk Observatory.
I am an idiot who accidentally renames things >_<;; Skywalk, yes!
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

AnnaNeko wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:30 am
Fetch wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am
so Skyway is the 50th floor of the Prudential
I am an idiot who accidentally renames things >_<;; Skywalk, yes!
hakukagi called it Skyway, so not your fault Anna.

Oh, and the St Francis chapel is small chapel near the Pru entrance to the Hynes.
With this AB (for once) not happening on Easter weekend, we con goers should not get as many angry looks from us blocking the way to the chapel simply due to the number of people in the hallways.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I have also been up to the Skywalk Observatory. There are mini museums type displays about Boston history in the observatory. I think it's worth the trip.

They don't let you use the elevators in the lobby of the Prudential tower. There is a stairway next the Prudential tower, in the mall. You walk down a flight of stairs to the elevator. It going straight to the top.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I been to the SkyWalk one Anime Boston. The entrance elevator to it is, I believe, to the right of the Dunkin Donuts down the stairs. Tickets for it though can be bought across the hallway of the Dunkin Donuts.

As for the chapel, it is between the Dunkin Donuts and the Prudential entrance to the Hynes. I have not gone into it but I have seen congoers go in it, cosplayers and regulars. I especially see them inside around Easter Sunday.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
KQBeans
Experienced Poster

Post by KQBeans »

Whoop.

I'm famous for accidentally renaming things. Also not a MA native so haha.

Thank you all for all the information! I think you'd need a whole other weekend away from the con just to explore this one little area of Boston!

The Skywalk sounds like quite the trip, though! We shall see what this weekend brings!

*Update: Went with a friend. It was pretty sweet :) Industrial, yes, but a nice view nonetheless*
Last edited by KQBeans on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I took a pic of the prices for the Skywalk Observatory. Plus the escalator you use to go down one floor to get to the elevator.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRTztkW
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.