Accessibility at Back Bay Station & Pru Mall

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Accessibility at Back Bay Station & Pru Mall

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hello. :) :) I'm going to be coming to AB this year by way of the Commuter Rail. I know, of course, to get off at Back Bay Station. I have a question about the station: is there an elevator to get to the upper level after getting off the train? I ask because, where I will have a suitcase w/me, it will be difficult for me to use an escalator or stairs, as I have a physical disability. I am able to walk, but I have a brace on one leg and can't use my right arm/hand very well.

I also have one question RE walking through the Pru Mall which I can't remember offhand: when you first enter the mall after walking across the street from the train station, are there stairs/escalators when you first walk in, or is there an elevator as well? If there are only stairs or escalators, I figured I would just take a quick taxi ride over to the Sheraton. I'm really not sure how well I'd do walking w/my suitcase, actually, so I figured I'd have that option with taking a taxi over.

Thanks in advance. ^_^ ^_^
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Re: Accessibility at Back Bay Station & Pru Mall

Post by Kalyoth »

I can't speak about Back Bay as I have only used the station once. I can speak about Prudential station on green line though.

I take the commuter rail into South Station on my way to the con. I end up taking the red line to park street & hop on the green line to Prudential Station. I remember that station you can take an elevator up from platform to the exit. Then you walk up 1 escalator to the ground floor of the Pru Mall. Go up on escalator, walking through the mall a ways & arriving at the Hynes, Sheraton etc.

It all depends upon how far you can comfortably walk with your suitcase & your access needs.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

I know off the top of my head that the Providence/Stoughton/Needham/Franklin lines have elevator access on tracks 1-3. I think the Worcester line (track 5 and 7) has access but don't quote me on that. Currently the entrance to Copley Place Mall across from Back Bay station is under renovation, and has been routed 1 block to the Stuart St entrance (underneath the Copley Place - Westin Hotel bridge). This entrance has an accessible entry as well as elevator access to the main mall levels.

I recommend looking at the mbta alerts page as the Back Bay - Copley Place underpass is closed as a result: http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/transit ... nklin+Line
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Thank you both for the replies, Kalyoth and aznman08. :) :)

I will be taking the Providence/Stoughton line in. Also, thank you for the link, aznman, I'll check that out.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Hello.

I actually would reccommend taking the #39 Bus from Back Bay Station 2 stops to the Prudential Center's Huntington Ave. Entrance (1st stop after Back Bay is Copley Square).

Here's a map:

The bus will drop you off across the street from the Huntingtom Ave. & Belvidere St. Entrance where the Prudential Center Green Line Entrance is located. Once you get off the bus, you just cross the street and go inside. There are elevators and escalators at this entrance also. This way you don't have detour around the construction at Copley Place. I reccommend this with your mobility challenges in mind.

Getting back to Back Bay station is just as easy: There is a a bus stop at the corner of Dalton and Boylston St. and another on Boylston St. next to the Boston Public Library.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hi Aurabolt, thank you for the info about the busses, I will consider using it. It's funny, there was one year when AB was held in May. I came into Boston the day before the con, I planned to go to the Science Museum. I ALMOST had to take a bus from the Pru to the Museum because the T wasn't running. I was unfamiliar with what bus to take, etc., so I figured I'd wait a bit. They did get the T back up & running not long afterwards, so I ended up using the T.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

MBTA has a great website for figuring out trips.

http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip_pl ... 0.50&Atr=Y
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

aznman08 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 pm I know off the top of my head that the Providence/Stoughton/Needham/Franklin lines have elevator access on tracks 1-3. I think the Worcester line (track 5 and 7) has access but don't quote me on that. Currently the entrance to Copley Place Mall across from Back Bay station is under renovation, and has been routed 1 block to the Stuart St entrance (underneath the Copley Place - Westin Hotel bridge). This entrance has an accessible entry as well as elevator access to the main mall levels.

I recommend looking at the mbta alerts page as the Back Bay - Copley Place underpass is closed as a result: http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/transit ... nklin+Line
So you don't have to click that link:
Due to the Simon Company's Copley Place construction, Back Bay Station's Dartmouth Street underpass will remain closed until April 8, 2017.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Fetch wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:16 pm
aznman08 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 pm I know off the top of my head that the Providence/Stoughton/Needham/Franklin lines have elevator access on tracks 1-3. I think the Worcester line (track 5 and 7) has access but don't quote me on that. Currently the entrance to Copley Place Mall across from Back Bay station is under renovation, and has been routed 1 block to the Stuart St entrance (underneath the Copley Place - Westin Hotel bridge). This entrance has an accessible entry as well as elevator access to the main mall levels.

So you don't have to click that link:
Due to the Simon Company's Copley Place construction, Back Bay Station's Dartmouth Street underpass will remain closed until April 8, 2017.
So it's a pass on the underpass. ;) ;)

Also, waynoinsano, thank you for the trip planner link.

Again, I appreciate everyone's responses. *gives thumbs up*