Best Ramen in Boston (Late 2016/Early 2017 Edition)

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
JeffersonLeeEng
AB Staff

Best Ramen in Boston (Late 2016/Early 2017 Edition)

Post by JeffersonLeeEng »

Back in 2015, there was thread going about the best restaurants that served ramen in the city of Boston (or at least within a decent proximity to the Hynes). Not wanting to resurrect an ancient and more or less defunct thread from about a year and a half ago, I figure I'd instigate some sort of discussion on good places to get a nice bowl of ramen. So, to kick off the discussion for possible ideas, here's a list published back in 2015...

https://www.timeout.com/boston/restaura ... -in-boston
Jefferson Eng
Anime Boston — 2010
: Attendee | 2011: Registration Staff | 2013: Tech Ops: Desk Staff | 2012/14/15/18: Tech Ops: Jr Tech Staff | 2017: Tech Ops: Large Events Staff | 2022-Present: Tech Ops: General Tech Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otaku Generation Podcast
Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fansite
The Overnightscape Underground
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Re: Best Ramen in Boston (Late 2016/Early 2017 Edition)

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

i know this goes with out saying so, but I had my cosplay dinner night (on Saturday) at Wagumama and it was so good i had to take my father back and we both loved it...

I know you either love or hate it, but that's my go to stop when ever i want Japanese food in the Pru mall...
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

The only problem with Wagamama is how incredibly crowded it gets since it's right there in the Pru.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...I honestly never got the hate Wagamama got from Congoers on a budget. Like it or not, they DO serve authentic ramen.

Yeah there's a line out the door during the day. Wanna know the best times to go to Wagammama during AB weekend?

Friday: During Opening Ceremony (only if you're not interested in going) there's not much of a crowd since the majority of the congoers are in the Hynes at opening ceremony. The obvious trade-off is you miss it yourself.

Saturday: After 8PM. By this point most Congoers are tied up with a contest, guest/industry panel or a concert. I commute from home each day. I drop by Wagamama before I go into the Hynes. No waiting to be seated ^_^

Sunday: During Closing Ceremony (only if you're not interested in going) or afrer 6PM most congoers from the first two days are either on their way home or in the Hynes for Closing Ceremonies. The obvious trade-off is you miss it yourself. Also take note: You will not be let back into the Hynes after Closing Ceremonies.

...Or you can just order take out if you don't want to stay. That's usually what I do during peak times.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

we didn't have to wait that long for a table maybe an hour or so....and for late night eating in boston i don't think that's to tarrable if you ask me there was 15 of us and for a hour (or so) wait it was pretty good food...i even took my dad back when we went in the summer time to the Marriott
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I typically eat alone when I dine there. Outside AB weekend I'm seated immediately.

No complaints about the food at all. They're very professional and are sensitive to dietary restrictions as well when mentioned.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Aurabolt wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 pm I typically eat alone when I dine there. Outside AB weekend I'm seated immediately.

No complaints about the food at all. They're very professional and are sensitive to dietary restrictions as well when mentioned.
i ate there again in the summer, it was a bit slower tbh but then again we went at actual dinner time....i like it because we could all just pay our own way and not have to split the table in half...back home that's something we'd have to do for a party of the size i had...it wouldn't have been very practical to do so....which was why i may go back to wagumama with my other dinner on Saturday night....
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

PandaCath
Getting the hang of this...

Post by PandaCath »

Santouka Ramen used to be only in Harvard Square in Cambridge, but has expanded to Back Bay! I think it's actually very close to the Hynes as well!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/santouka-back-bay-boston-2
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

PandaCath wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:36 pm Santouka Ramen used to be only in Harvard Square in Cambridge, but has expanded to Back Bay! I think it's actually very close to the Hynes as well!

They're in the space that used to be Mentei ramen shop! So everyone should be very much familiar with the location, right across from the Hynes near the firehouse
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

AnnaNeko wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 pm
PandaCath wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:36 pm Santouka Ramen used to be only in Harvard Square in Cambridge, but has expanded to Back Bay! I think it's actually very close to the Hynes as well!

They're in the space that used to be Mentei ramen shop! So everyone should be very much familiar with the location, right across from the Hynes near the firehouse
it looks like a triditional roman house right? all you have to do is go down a little ali way when you go out side, and take a right, right? I remember that!
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Ral-Be
I'm new!

Post by Ral-Be »

Dumpling Daughter - undoubtly the best Ramen which I've ever tried in my life.
Testa att spela på en av alla dessa sidor där du kan hitta en bonus som du kan spela med. kortspel utan konto
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Ral-Be wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 pm Dumpling Daughter - undoubtly the best Ramen which I've ever tried in my life.
that sounds amazing where is this place?
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Ral-Be wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 pm Dumpling Daughter - undoubtly the best Ramen which I've ever tried in my life.
we are not goin all the way to Weston!! name something closer to con

... PS: how does one get to Weston w/out a car anyway? I dunno bus routes

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

AnnaNeko wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:35 am
we are not goin all the way to Weston!! name something closer to con

... PS: how does one get to Weston w/out a car anyway? I dunno bus routes
I just checked in Google Maps and on the MBTA site for trying to get to Dumpling Daughter. Apparently, due to the nearest station being over 1.25 miles away, they cannot calculate it.
To get to Dumpling Daughter using public transit, you'd need to take the Fitchburg commuter rail from North Station to Kendal Green Station and then walk 1.4 miles.

Yeah, that is a bit too far out of the way for food during AB.
Reolkiku
I'm new!

Post by Reolkiku »

Hello there, as a native Boston resident I can say there is many enjoyable ramen places, whether closeby or a little far, they are places I have enjoyed a lot.

Pikaichi Ramen, 1 Brighton Ave, (Inside of Super88 market): 2.3 miles away, From convention center, 10 minutes by car, 42 by walking.
Some of the best ramen I have had. Pretty cheap too, with bowls being all under $10. They also offer ways you can customize what you get, like adding in extra noodles or extra vegetables/meat. The broth comes in 6 different styles, and they also offer Katsu and side dishes like Takoyaki and Shumai. The only downside is that the space is really small, meaning the wait times might be hard depending on what time and what day you go.

Yume Wo Katare, Porter Square Shopping center, 1923 Massachusetts Ave 4.5 Miles away, 21 minutes by car, 76 minutes by walking
Great ramen, it is a simple joint with simple choosing. Prices also are pretty cheap, but the distance away might be a bad walk.

Like what one person said, there's also Wagamama, but the one inside of Prudential Shopping Center gets crowded quickly. There is another Wagamama, in Faneuil Hall.

Totto ramen, 169 Brighton Ave: 2.7 miles away, 13 mins by car, 50 by walking.
This is a good alternative if you go to Pikaichi and Pikaichi is crowded. Although this place is small, it is similar to Pikaichi and has some good ramen too.

Hopefully this helps out :D
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Reolkiku wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:39 pm Hello there, as a native Boston resident I can say there is many enjoyable ramen places, whether closeby or a little far, they are places I have enjoyed a lot.

Pikaichi Ramen, 1 Brighton Ave, (Inside of Super88 market): 2.3 miles away, From convention center, 10 minutes by car, 42 by walking.
Some of the best ramen I have had. Pretty cheap too, with bowls being all under $10. They also offer ways you can customize what you get, like adding in extra noodles or extra vegetables/meat. The broth comes in 6 different styles, and they also offer Katsu and side dishes like Takoyaki and Shumai. The only downside is that the space is really small, meaning the wait times might be hard depending on what time and what day you go.

Yume Wo Katare, Porter Square Shopping center, 1923 Massachusetts Ave 4.5 Miles away, 21 minutes by car, 76 minutes by walking
Great ramen, it is a simple joint with simple choosing. Prices also are pretty cheap, but the distance away might be a bad walk.

Like what one person said, there's also Wagamama, but the one inside of Prudential Shopping Center gets crowded quickly. There is another Wagamama, in Faneuil Hall.

Totto ramen, 169 Brighton Ave: 2.7 miles away, 13 mins by car, 50 by walking.
This is a good alternative if you go to Pikaichi and Pikaichi is crowded. Although this place is small, it is similar to Pikaichi and has some good ramen too.

Here are the T stations near them:
Pikaichi Ramen: Packards Corner (Green-B line) or bus 57
Yume Wo Katare: Porter station (Red line)
Totto Ramen: Harvard Ave (Green-B line) or bus 57

To check for possible problems on the T, visit http://mbta.com/
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Nicely done, Fetch =O

As an aside, you can actually make your own Ramen with and without access to an Asian Supermarket like Super 88.

With access to one, you can get everything you need with assistence from an employee. Prep time is very simple. You can buy broth and stock if you want to cheat a little as well. Without access to one, you can buy substitutes. For example Linguine or Angel Hair Pasta will make a decient substutude for ramen or soba noodles.

This is further off topic but last year I attended a cool panel on how to make a Bento Lunchbox using both Asian and Western ingredients. Would be cool if it came back this year ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

NanoZero
Experienced Poster

Post by NanoZero »

Reolkiku wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:39 pm Yume Wo Katare, Porter Square Shopping center, 1923 Massachusetts Ave 4.5 Miles away, 21 minutes by car, 76 minutes by walking
Keep in mind that Yume Wo Katare is cash only. The lines are pretty long on weekend nights since the place is so tiny.

Santouka is my personal pick for great ramen. Theirs is Hokkaido style, so the broth is very hearty in comparison to some other ramen joints. They have some really good takoyaki too if anyone's ever been curious to try takoyaki for the first time. I'll also mention that they take cards (this is a major plus for me.)
AB2012: Kino
AB2013: Misaka Mikoto (casual)
AB2014: Ryuko Matoi (EP 1)
AB2015: Seo Yuzuki & Akatsuki (1st season)
AB2016: Inkling School Girl Version (Splatoon) & Oboro (Fire Emblem Fates)
AB2017:Umi Sonoda (China Dress & Arabian Dancer),Lucina & Hanamaru Kunikida (Winter Uniform)
AB2018:Constellation Umi Sonoda & Makoto Niijima
AB2019: Flower Bouquet Umi Sonoda, Cinnabar, F!Corrin & Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu)
AB2020:
????????
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

NanoZero wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:48 pm
Reolkiku wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:39 pm Yume Wo Katare, Porter Square Shopping center, 1923 Massachusetts Ave 4.5 Miles away, 21 minutes by car, 76 minutes by walking
Keep in mind that Yume Wo Katare is cash only. The lines are pretty long on weekend nights since the place is so tiny.

Santouka is my personal pick for great ramen. Theirs is Hokkaido style, so the broth is very hearty in comparison to some other ramen joints. They have some really good takoyaki too if anyone's ever been curious to try takoyaki for the first time. I'll also mention that they take cards (this is a major plus for me.)
is santouka easy to get to?
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 am is santouka easy to get to?
I've said it before, and say it again - it's in that lil shop space that used to be Mentei Ramen!
aka, if u exit from Hynes main entrance, cross Boylston and go down that lil side street next to the firehouse

so yes, easy to get thru, all of 2 minutes of walking

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

AnnaNeko wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 am
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 am is santouka easy to get to?
I've said it before, and say it again - it's in that lil shop space that used to be Mentei Ramen!
aka, if u exit from Hynes main entrance, cross Boylston and go down that lil side street next to the firehouse

so yes, easy to get thru, all of 2 minutes of walking
OHHHHHHHHHH ok we'll go to it on Thursday
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Looks like we have our Pre-Con Dinner plans set ^_^

I wonder if we can put in a reservation?
Aurabolt's Anime Blog