Heads up with ATM's

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Deku-Kun
Getting the hang of this...

Heads up with ATM's

Post by Deku-Kun »

I'm not trying to freak anyone out. But I just saw a video on a news site about how easy it was to set up one of those credit card readers that hack your info from it. This wasn't the first one a lot of people on my FB have shared some vids and or photos of them encountering these things. So With a big event going on in a busy city we become prime targets to these shenanigans. So to my fellow con-goers and to all the young folks please just keep your eyes peeled when using a public ATM machine. The last thing I would like to see is someone falling victim to this and having their account wiped out. But nonetheless have fun out there! (Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to post this awareness. )
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Heads up with ATM's

Post by Aurabolt »

I can assure you this will not be a problem with any of the ATM machines in the Prudential Center. They are all under 24/7 security and are serviced several times a week. In fact, mall security as well as BRINKS security are trained to be able to tell if an atm machine has been tampered with.

In short, the chances of someone getting ripped off at an ATM machine this coming weekend are extreme low.

...On a related note, there is an ATM Machine in the Hynes. It it located just inside the Boylston St. entrance. It's slow but works. If you don't mind going further, if I remember right the ATM machines in the Boylston St. hallway of the mall (leads to Lord & Tailor) don't have a transaction fee for withdrawls.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Echoing prev poster about the ATMs around Hynes/Prudential being a-ok

there's also a Bank of America ATMs right across Boylston (by the Walgreens) if memory serves....
Absolute worst case scenario? Go buy candy at Walgreens and get cash-back
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Deku-Kun
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Deku-Kun »

Alright! Thanks for the reassurance. Just wanted to make some of us aware, best to be safe than sorry. :)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Most of the ATMs that have been tampered with occurred at locations that do not check their ATMs often, such as a convenience store and gas station.

Also will mention that there is TDBank, Santander Bank, and Bank of America all within walking distance from the Prudential.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Elli21486 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:06 pm Most of the ATMs that have been tampered with occurred at locations that do not check their ATMs often, such as a convenience store and gas station.
...This prettymuch.

Those who hack ATMs always go with the ones that are not regularly serviced like non-chain convenience stores or are in places with little to no video surveilance in the area.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

There is a supermarket on Ring Street, across the street from the convention. You can see it from the glass bridge across Huntington Ave.. There are two mails connect by the glass bridge. There is a hotel in each mall.

Look at the slot where you put your card into. There should be no wires or tape coming out of the slot or near the slot. Flat wire looks like tape. If the cover around the slot looks bigger, fatter, cracked, etc., more than normal, don't use it. If the ATM shows any sign of abuse, dents on the sides, be careful.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.