More good news from the MBTA

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

More good news from the MBTA

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

This is just in from T Alerts. Using the Boylston Street entrance means a shorter walk to the Hynes and less time outdoors, which will be especially handy on Sunday due to the expected rain.

Hynes: Due to Anime Boston 2016, Hynes's Boylston Street entrance/exit will be open to enter/exit from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, March 25, and Saturday, March 26, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, March 27.

Affected routes:
Green Line B branch
Green Line C branch
Green Line D branch
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
slippers
AB Staff

Re: More good news from the MBTA

Post by slippers »

Yaaay!
Andrew Guertin
Technical Staff Area Lead 2024
Technical Staff Area Lead 2023
Technical Staff Shift Lead 2022

General Tech Staff 2020-2021
Information Desk Staff 2019
Sheraton 500 Shift Lead 2018
Senior Technical Staff 2016-17
Junior Technical Staff 2014-15
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Just for clarification, this is Hynes Convention Center Green Line Station. Always wondered why that was not open. According to Wikipedia, the Boylston Entrance only opens for special events and there are plans to have it permanently open in or after 2019.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Shirley Marquez wrote:This is just in from T Alerts. Using the Boylston Street entrance means a shorter walk to the Hynes and less time outdoors, which will be especially handy on Sunday due to the expected rain.

Hynes: Due to Anime Boston 2016, Hynes's Boylston Street entrance/exit will be open to enter/exit from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, March 25, and Saturday, March 26, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, March 27.

Affected routes:
Green Line B branch
Green Line C branch
Green Line D branch
I'd have felt proud if I was on Anime Boston's board while reading then =D

Hell, I feel proud even though I'm not XD
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

I think the basic answer to why the Boylston Street entrance isn't always open is money. Back before the Charlie Card system they had to have somebody there to sell tokens whenever the entrance was open which is clearly costly, so it closed a while ago. When fully automated fare collection came in they briefly had that entrance open all the time, but I think they experienced an above average rate of fare evasion at that entrance so they decided that keeping it as an unstaffed entrance was not feasible. I suspect that a T employee will be present during all the hours the entrance is open during Anime Boston; AB causes a huge spike in ridership so the T can afford it.

Some T stations do have unstaffed entrances. The non-central entrances of Central and the Kendall entrances that are actually in Kendall Square are examples. But I can't immediately think of any on the Green Line. The Berkeley Street entrances to Arlington also reopened briefly after automatic fare collection and renovation of the entrances but quickly closed again.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Shirley Marquez wrote:I think the basic answer to why the Boylston Street entrance isn't always open is money. Back before the Charlie Card system they had to have somebody there to sell tokens whenever the entrance was open which is clearly costly, so it closed a while ago. When fully automated fare collection came in they briefly had that entrance open all the time, but I think they experienced an above average rate of fare evasion at that entrance so they decided that keeping it as an unstaffed entrance was not feasible. I suspect that a T employee will be present during all the hours the entrance is open during Anime Boston; AB causes a huge spike in ridership so the T can afford it.

Some T stations do have unstaffed entrances. The non-central entrances of Central and the Kendall entrances that are actually in Kendall Square are examples. But I can't immediately think of any on the Green Line. The Berkeley Street entrances to Arlington also reopened briefly after automatic fare collection and renovation of the entrances but quickly closed again.
Hit the nail on the head with the part I bolded. It really makes no sense to not have that entrance open even if there are no events at the Hynes---there's a ton of bars ans restaurants in the area that are open pretty late and all. I'll resist the temptation to share my take on MBTA Politics and leave it at that.

Also, most above-ground Green Line Stations are not staffed. The excpetions are the five at the end of each line: Riverside (Major travel hub with a Greyhound Station for points west and south), Cleveland Circle, Boston College, Heath St. and Lechmere.

As for the other Lines:

I know two of the Downtown Crossing Entrances have unstaffed entrances. Forest Hills plans to turn the south exit where the 39 waiting area is into an unstaffed entrance (though there will be a Transit Police Office built next to it to discourage fare evasion). All of the above-ground Silver Line Stations + The Boston Convention Center are unstaffed. A protip: The Silver Line is FREE when boarding from one of Logan Airport's terminals (Massport is paying for it technically). All of the Red and Blue lines have at least one staff member as well. Tufts Medical used to have an unstaffed entrance but they no longer do because of fare evaders early on.

For those who don't know, Fare Evasion is a misdemeanor and carries a $50 fine. Be smart and get a Charlie Card--wait a minute: Wouldn't it be AWESOME if Anime Boston teamed with the MBTA and got their hands on a few boxes of Charlie Cards to be handed out next year? *hint hint*
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Shirley Marquez wrote:This is just in from T Alerts. Using the Boylston Street entrance means a shorter walk to the Hynes and less time outdoors, which will be especially handy on Sunday due to the expected rain.

massive huge reminder to anyone wishing to never even be outside - take the E train to Prudential instead!!
You will exit straight into the mall by the Cheesecake Factory and will not even need to be outside crossing the street and getting rained on etc etc...

ehhh,,,, if you're coming from the direction of Park St obviously....
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

I couldn't find info on where the entrance was on the mbta site, all I found was a youtube video of someone walking into it. After looking at google maps to match the location I narrowed it down to the stairs next to Dillion's and the fire dept. Was I right?
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Yes, that one. The other entrance is next to what will soon be a TJ Maxx.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog