Anyone know of any dance clubs in the area? since informal dance RIP.

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Anyone know of any dance clubs in the area? since informal dance RIP.

Post by dstnyskr »

Hey hey lovely people.

I was hoping to dance out somewhere in my dance gear on the late night side of the con, but could not find anything on the web. I went to an anime themed one, (one year) at a place called The Rise, which I guess is closed.

I suppose I'm still trying to quench my taste for AB's old tradition.

Thanks again if anyone has any clues

http://americanrepertorytheater.org/eve ... ctronica-0

I saw this^, but that is not something I'm quite looking for.
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Anyone know of any dance clubs in the area? since informal dance RIP.

Post by pulsedemon »

I have literally zero idea, personally.

However, http://www.yelp.com/c/boston/danceclubs
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

My friend and I are going to Club Cafe at least one night. (It's a gay nightclub... he's a trans guy, I'm a trans woman) that is located on Columbus Ave, maybe two minutes at best from Back Bay Station. Straight people go there too, but I know how awkward that might be for people who aren't. As far as gay clubs go, I think Club Cafe and Machine are the two big ones of Boston, and Club Cafe is actually in the distance unlike Machine.

Outside of Club Cafe, I don't know of any other night clubs in the area. (Non gay, at least.)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:My friend and I are going to Club Cafe at least one night. (It's a gay nightclub...
Gay clubs are actually the best clubs to go to. I've always had lots of fun going with my friends to them in Southern California (and I'm a straight guy).
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

WertPhotography wrote:
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:My friend and I are going to Club Cafe at least one night. (It's a gay nightclub...
Gay clubs are actually the best clubs to go to. I've always had lots of fun going with my friends to them in Southern California (and I'm a straight guy).

I've never been to a non-gay club before. I definitely love this club though. Their food is terrible, but the music they play is great, and of course, they have queens, which are sometimes interesting. If anyone is open to the idea, then yeah, definitely check out Club Cafe. Dance starts at 10. Before that, they have skits being preformed. As I said, my friend and I will be going one night. Not sure which night, but we want to party it up. Just eat before going.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:As I said, my friend and I will be going one night. Not sure which night, but we want to party it up. Just eat before going.
The only other clubs I'd been to were while I was in the military...and they also loved going to the gay clubs on "straight night." lol. I'm usually dead on my feet around 6pm as I'm busy taking tons of photos. I might go clubbing one night. Doubt I'd get my wife to go though...and the two teenagers most definitely will NOT be going. lol. I really wish AB had a dance. :-(
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

The biggest concentration of dance clubs in Boston is on Landsdowne St, near Fenway Park. It's about a 15 minute walk from the Hynes. You'll want to walk over in a group if you're going late at night; some of the area in-between is a bit dark. Here's some info about the clubs there: http://www.touristsbook.com/boston/thin ... wne-street

Club Cafe is about the same distance in the other direction. It's a less scary walk and a lot of the walk can be done indoors, going through the Prudential and Copley Place malls. People have already said more about it in other posts.

The other BIG gay club (we're talking multiple floors) in the area is Machine, which is also near Fenway Park but not on Lansdowne St. Most nights it's mostly gay men; there is a big monthly lesbian night on the second Saturday of the month but AB doesn't fall on that weekend this year. It's about the same distance as the other two, and like Lansdowne St it's definitely walk in a group territory.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

The OP mentioned AcousticaElectronica, which is on Friday night at Club Oberon in Harvard Square. It's not a pure dance night, but it's a lot of fun and there will be plenty of opportunity to dance. The cheap dance floor tickets are actually the best ones to get (at least unless you want to spring for one of the expensive Dorian tickets or maybe the Clone tickets); you'll have more opportunity to interact with the show than you would in the seats. It's not hard to get to from AB; go over to Mass Ave and take the #1 bus toward Cambridge. Get off the bus at either Trowbridge St or Bow St; Oberon is about a block away from either stop. (If you miss those and go all the way to Harvard Square you'll have to walk a couple more blocks.)

Also at Oberon, on Saturday night, is the Donkey Show. It's a weird adaptation of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream as a 70s disco dance party.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

I believe the Machine has 18+ Friday nights

Rabbit Revolution has hosted anime dance night on Saturday - not sure where it will be 2016. Grab an UBER and stay warm and safe on your way out!
Brinner1
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Brinner1 »

I believe Rabbit Revolution is open. One of my friends always goes there each weekend so it should be open.
"Your petty quarrels only make me stronger"
jughands
Veteran Poster

Post by jughands »

Machine is excellent on Friday nights. LGBTQ+ friendly, 18+ on Fridays, and usually the cover charges aren't too bad; sometimes they have theme nights but either way it's a great time. It's located right in Kenmore Square (1 T stop away from the Pru) near some of the other clubs mentioned in this thread. It's a really eclectic scene, and they have been known to show anime on their big screen televisions... Last time I was there they were playing Evangelion, which was really cool haha.
:mrgreen:
blimeytakkun
Getting the hang of this...

Post by blimeytakkun »

Chipping in a 18+ suggestion. For those like me who are kinky gay guys into fetish gear, this Friday night 10pm-Midnight at Jacques Cabaret (Broadway St. In Bay Village, sw of Charles & Stuart) they're doing Fascination, where you're permitted basically to be as close to nude as possible without being nude. Jockstraps, harnesses, leather abound. I came here to mention it since I'm hoping to see guys wear rated-R versions of their cosplays out to this event. If you're a dude who's feeling brave and wants to show off, there's your spot. If I were cosplaying this year, Id definitely try to go to Fasc in character.

Spending all AB weekend working dealers room, so it'll be tricky to pull myself away from Hynes after dealers room closes, but I have been attending Fasc for months and there's nothing in Boston like it.