Opinions on the best restaurants in the back bay area

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Juggernaut_Drive
Getting the hang of this...

Opinions on the best restaurants in the back bay area

Post by Juggernaut_Drive »

I know, another restaurant question. This one is a little different I hope. Please give your suggestions on the absolute best restaurants in the back bay area. I'm looking to spend $100 + per night.
I am arriving Thursday and leaving Sunday. I would like at least one Japanese, one steakhouse and one other like Thai or Indian. I am strongly considering Grill 23 & Bar as my steakhouse choice. I want to try the 100 day dry aged rib eye. I am looking at Douzo or Haru as Japanese choices but I'm not set on either.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions but please keep any negative comments to yourself. I am not a stuck up rich person, just your average overworked salary man looking to forget reality for a weekend of fun.
Thank you.
Fetch
Show-off

Re: Opinions on the best restaurants in the back bay area

Post by Fetch »

Can't give advice on fancy restaurants, as I don't go to such places.

However, I do recommend going to The Pour House. The food is very good, big portions, and, from what I've seen in the past, they are cosplay friendly.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I agree with Fetch. I have eaten at The Pour House MANY times in the years I've been attending AB, and their food is fantastic. :) :)

They have 1/2 price chicken sandwiches on Wednesdays from 6PM-10PM, 1/2 price Border Bargains (Mexican food) on Thurs. nights from 6PM-10PM, and 1/2 price burgers on Sat. nights from 6PM-10PM. Their breakfast and brunch items are wonderful, too.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Heru is pretty "Fancy" and is Japanese/sushi so if your looking for a date night i'd suggest that!
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Juggernaut_Drive

Thank you for your suggestion.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

My group loved:

FiRE + iCE (20 a person.... all you can eat.)
Legal Seafood (Fantastic char!)

My group liked:

Unos (A Thursday tradition of ours. Food is decent. Variety. Cheap.)
Au Bon Pain (Great for a quick breakfast)
finale (Pricey, but great pastries and white hot cocoa!)
Summer Shack (Pricey, but great and fantastic ambiance!)

My group disliked:

Whiskey's (Everyone was disappointed. My turkey tips were so dry. It's like you'd need to drink water and eat it at the same time....)
Bertucci's (Quincy Market... I think we were all underwhelmed.)
Club Cafe (Food-wise. Everything else is fantastic. Note that this is a gay nightclub.)

Unfortunately, that's all I have for any kind of feedback.

Oh... wow, 100+ a night? I hear Smith and Wollensky's is great. They are located in a castle on ...... Columbus I think it was? Fogo De Chao I was always interested in checking out. It's a buffet where it's 50+ dollars a person. I hear they have amazing steaks.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:My group loved:

FiRE + iCE (20 a person.... all you can eat.)
Legal Seafood (Fantastic char!)

My group liked:

Unos (A Thursday tradition of ours. Food is decent. Variety. Cheap.)
Au Bon Pain (Great for a quick breakfast)
finale (Pricey, but great pastries and white hot cocoa!)
Summer Shack (Pricey, but great and fantastic ambiance!)

My group disliked:

Whiskey's (Everyone was disappointed. My turkey tips were so dry. It's like you'd need to drink water and eat it at the same time....)
Bertucci's (Quincy Market... I think we were all underwhelmed.)
Club Cafe (Food-wise. Everything else is fantastic. Note that this is a gay nightclub.)

Unfortunately, that's all I have for any kind of feedback.

Oh... wow, 100+ a night? I hear Smith and Wollensky's is great. They are located in a castle on ...... Columbus I think it was? Fogo De Chao I was always interested in checking out. It's a buffet where it's 50+ dollars a person. I hear they have amazing steaks.
Smith & Wollensky's
101 Arlington Street
Boston, MA 02116

From what I've heard, if you want to go there, best to make reservations as far ahead as you can.
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

Expensive restaurants mostly aren't on my radar screen; too expensive! But a few restaurants I know about:

Steakhouses: Smith & Wollensky was already mentioned. It's walkable (<20 minutes) from AB if you are so inclined.

Fish: the local Legal Seafood chain is a good choice with multiple nearby locations.

French: L'Espalier is a stone's throw from AB. Mistral is a bit farther but still walkable. Both are well reviewed but out of my price league, so I haven't been to either.

Luxe dining experience: the dining rooms of the Ritz-Carlton (downtown) and the Taj (Back Bay, at the old location of the Ritz-Carlton) are the bastions. I haven't eaten at either, so no promises about the food.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Just remembered a place that is right at the Pru.

Top of the Hub
http://topofthehub.net/
Juggernaut_Drive

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
So far I have made dinner reservations at Haru, Douzo, and Fogo de Chao. I was thinking about Top of the Hub but it looked more like a couples place. I am hanging out with my brother in law so a little less intimate is good. Maybe we will check out the view and have a few drinks at the bar.
I am looking forward to AB next month!
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

@never_to_old01 @AnimeBoston thanks for reaching out! We will be offering 10% off for lunch/dinner in our dining room. Hope to see you soon!

so i tweeted 5 napkin burger and this is what they said to me, also they're part of the proudential center card, I'm not exactly sure if that's what the person met, or if we get an extra little discount with our badge, but this is still an option if you're super hungry and want an uber big burger
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Deku-Kun

Post by Deku-Kun »

Try Gyu-kaku. It's a Japanese BBQ place that's amazing in my opinion. Tried it for the first time last year. Got there on a Thursday so I had the opportunity to explore Boston for some authentic Japanese food. :) it's a far walk from the con. I'd say 30 min walk. It's around the Fenway park area. But if you're there on a Thursday take advantage to go there. It's worth it. They have 2$ beers all day too and the food is awesome too. They have Kobe beef too if you're interested in premium Japanese beef lol. It's pricy but hey it's good stuff :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Deku-Kun wrote:Try Gyu-kaku. It's a Japanese BBQ place that's amazing in my opinion. Tried it for the first time last year. Got there on a Thursday so I had the opportunity to explore Boston for some authentic Japanese food. :) it's a far walk from the con. I'd say 30 min walk. It's around the Fenway park area. But if you're there on a Thursday take advantage to go there. It's worth it. They have 2$ beers all day too and the food is awesome too. They have Kobe beef too if you're interested in premium Japanese beef lol. It's pricy but hey it's good stuff :)
that actually sounds cool but it's a far walk after dark
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

QQ

Post by QQ »

Capital Grille, a steakhouse, is very close by the Sheraton and in the Hynes Convention Center. I think Grill 23 is better, but it's a bit of walk.

L'espalier at one time was very good, but I think it's very overrated now. I went once during Restaurant Week/Dine Out Boston and the food was okay, but ALL the servers were depressed and very unhappy. Made the experience a sad one.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

QQ wrote:Capital Grille, a steakhouse, is very close by the Sheraton and in the Hynes Convention Center. I think Grill 23 is better, but it's a bit of walk.

L'espalier at one time was very good, but I think it's very overrated now. I went once during Restaurant Week/Dine Out Boston and the food was okay, but ALL the servers were depressed and very unhappy. Made the experience a sad one.
sticking to 5 napkin burger, cause i've been craving a real burger for quite some time and their milkshakes are legendary and it's close by and not as expensive as a stake house, and i can be in my p-jays if i want to be
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
QQ wrote:Capital Grille, a steakhouse, is very close by the Sheraton and in the Hynes Convention Center. I think Grill 23 is better, but it's a bit of walk.

sticking to 5 napkin burger, cause i've been craving a real burger for quite some time and their milkshakes are legendary and it's close by and not as expensive as a stake house, and i can be in my p-jays if i want to be
Actually 5-Napkin Burger IS a Steakhouse. Burgers may be their specialty but the restaurant operates more like a Steakhouse and is a tad misleading for folks expecting a semi-casual experience. B.Good has better shakes on that note. They have two locations near the Hynes: One across from the Hynes Train Station, the other is a few doors from Gamestop on Boylston St.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Aurabolt wrote:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:

Actually 5-Napkin Burger IS a Steakhouse. Burgers may be their specialty but the restaurant operates more like a Steakhouse and is a tad misleading for folks expecting a semi-casual experience. B.Good has better shakes on that note. They have two locations near the Hynes: One across from the Hynes Train Station, the other is a few doors from Gamestop on Boylston St.
i liked the pictures i was given and i was told by the twitter person that we get a 10% off anything in the dinnroom at 5 napkin if we have a badge (not sure if that counts for Thursday or not) but that's the only place I've found that does discounts for us, if you'd be so kind to send me a link of the entire discount option then that would be great too

unless i have to have a one of those nifty cards which you were talking about in another thread with me) I may get that anyway just in case I'm not from around the Boston area, and we don't have anything like that (currently) in my neck of the woods

also I don't want to walk to far on Thursday night, so i might just do tai food instead of fancy burgers but i've been looking forward to 5 napkin it's all i could really think about since we decided on (i guess if i have to get all "fancy pants" and dressy, then I can, but i really don't want to do that if i don't have to.

Huro was kinda nice looking on the inside, but no one really cared if we were "fancy" looking
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

The reason I advise against 5 Napkin is like I said it's structured a bit like P.F. Chang's, Cheesecake Factory and UNOs. I got the vibe from you other postings you're on a budget and that's the main reason I reccommended B.Good instead. I love eating at UNOs or 5 Napkin Burger during Anime Boston but I tend to go alone unless I'm with company--it's pretty easy to overspend if you're not careful.

With B.Good, at the very least you'll passively save at least $8 plus there's free wi-fi if you decide to eat in and if you get their app, you get free food sent to you every few days via the app. I said free food, not free food offers though you have a very small window to redeem. In general, B.Good is actually good for you and yes, that includes the soda. They use all natural ingredients, have 4 types of burger (Chicken, Beef, Turkey or house-made Veggie), two types of fries (traditional or sweet potato) and the Milkshakes are amazing.

I don't work for B.Good on that note but it's a local franchise--it's first restaurant is the one next to Back Bay Station on that note XD
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
QQ

Post by QQ »

True that B.Good costs less and is healthier (less fatty), but that's why 5 Napkin tastes better. I find, IMO, B.Good burgers to be a bit dried out and not very flavorful. 5 Napkin is definitely more pricey ($15-$20) than your average burger. Also with 5 Napkin you don't have to walk outside of the Sheraton/Prudential/Hynes complex, so you could go in your slippers and PJs. :)

If you like Asian food, there's a fairly new Dumplings restaurant on Mass Ave that has gotten good reviews. I've never been there yet, but would like to try it.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

QQ wrote:True that B.Good costs less and is healthier (less fatty), but that's why 5 Napkin tastes better.
This makes no sense at all. I've eaten at both--alot--so I can truthfully say this. Poor reasoning attempt here on your part.
QQ wrote:
I find, IMO, B.Good burgers to be a bit dried out and not very flavorful. 5 Napkin is definitely more pricey ($15-$20) than your average burger. Also with 5 Napkin you don't have to walk outside of the Sheraton/Prudential/Hynes complex, so you could go in your slippers and PJs. :)
This actually isn't true. Slippers are fine but PJs are not. Like I said in my previous post, some dense of decorum is expected from the restaurant despite laid-back atmosphere.

As I also mentioned, at B.Good you can get your burger/sandwich in one of four different types (Beef, Turkey, Chicken or Veggie). While they don't explicitly mention it in-house, if you want the burger cooked a certain way they do accomodate you. I get my beef burgers medium well every time =D

...Of course, this is an opinion thread and everyone's entitled to theirs. Not saying my opinion is more important at all, just saying B.Good is worth checking out for those who haven't yet.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

QQ

Post by QQ »

Aurabolt wrote:
QQ wrote:True that B.Good costs less and is healthier (less fatty), but that's why 5 Napkin tastes better.
This makes no sense at all. I've eaten at both--alot--so I can truthfully say this. Poor reasoning attempt here on your part.
QQ wrote:
I was half joking . . . as in unhealthy food taste better :D but in terms of science, the fat of the beef carries the flavor that's why prime grade beef costs more, prime has more marbling (fat).
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Aurabolt wrote:The reason I advise against 5 Napkin is like I said it's structured a bit like P.F. Chang's, Cheesecake Factory and UNOs. I got the vibe from you other postings you're on a budget and that's the main reason I reccommended B.Good instead. I love eating at UNOs or 5 Napkin Burger during Anime Boston but I tend to go alone unless I'm with company--it's pretty easy to overspend if you're not careful.

With B.Good, at the very least you'll passively save at least $8 plus there's free wi-fi if you decide to eat in and if you get their app, you get free food sent to you every few days via the app. I said free food, not free food offers though you have a very small window to redeem. In general, B.Good is actually good for you and yes, that includes the soda. They use all natural ingredients, have 4 types of burger (Chicken, Beef, Turkey or house-made Veggie), two types of fries (traditional or sweet potato) and the Milkshakes are amazing.

I don't work for B.Good on that note but it's a local franchise--it's first restaurant is the one next to Back Bay Station on that note XD
I'm only willing to spend money on food for myself this year I'm not going to baby sit anyone at this convention... food budget is for me and me alone but i fully agree with you, 5 napkin is ubber expensive, but unlike Pf Changs we don't have that where I live ^^; and it's kinda "Famous" I also don't want to walk a long way to get food since i really don't know the area all that well...

I also may change my mind, screw the american food and stick to tai food, I mean it's right across the street from the convention center....

also Haru is amazing....I love sushi so i may just stick to going to a place i know instead of adventuring and such...

but i do like 5 napkin for their happy hour, so if anything i may just chill there and drink the night away ^^ (i'm almost 30 i can drink all i want)

there is a 10% off discount though, but every resturant you go to is considered "fatty/fast food" since your not making it yourself

I didn't start a rant about 5 napkin so people could argue over where they'll go, I'm just saying myself and a friend of mine (even before i met QQ will be going to 5 napkin since i got the confirmation that there's a discount for the ab crowd
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

jughands
Veteran Poster

Post by jughands »

Here's a list of some of my pricier favorites in the area!

Japanese
Basho- great sushi, and I think they still do the robataya grills. (Kenmore; 1 T stop away)
Gyu-kaku- traditional Japanese restaurant where you can grill your own food. All of it! This is one of my favorite restaurants in the area. (Beacon Street/Brookline; 2 T stops away)
Genki Ya- fresh and organic sushi, and they also have a bar/lounge that's popular on the weekends (Chinatown; 20 min walk)

Misc. Asian
Tiger Mama- communal dining, offering tons of awesome and weirdly delicious dish combinations! the food is inspired by Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines), and the portions are super small, so you want to order about three or four different things... try the milky toast bread, seriously. (Kenmore; 1 T stop away)
Penang- Malaysian cuisine in Chinatown... Again, lots of really good food combinations and big portions! (Chinatown; 20 min walk)
Pho Pasteur- Huge bowls of pho for less than ten dollars. I know you asked for pricy stuff, but you really can't go wrong for the price and the taste. (Chinatown; 20 min walk)

Steakhouses/Pubs/Seafood
McGreevy's- right across the street from the Hynes and next to The Pour House, it's owned by the Dropkick Murphys and has simple but tasty pub food. (Boylston St; right across the street)
The Capital Grille- classy, fancy, and attached to the Hynes! Their french onion soup is awesome. (Boylston St; right next to the Hynes!)
The Barking Crab- can't get a better lobster roll or fisherman's platter! (South Station; 45 min walk)

Hope this helps! :)
:mrgreen:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

mabsey wrote:Here's a list of some of my pricier favorites in the area!

Japanese
Basho- great sushi, and I think they still do the robataya grills. (Kenmore; 1 T stop away)
Gyu-kaku- traditional Japanese restaurant where you can grill your own food. All of it! This is one of my favorite restaurants in the area. (Beacon Street/Brookline; 2 T stops away)
Genki Ya- fresh and organic sushi, and they also have a bar/lounge that's popular on the weekends (Chinatown; 20 min walk)

Misc. Asian
Tiger Mama- communal dining, offering tons of awesome and weirdly delicious dish combinations! the food is inspired by Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines), and the portions are super small, so you want to order about three or four different things... try the milky toast bread, seriously. (Kenmore; 1 T stop away)
Penang- Malaysian cuisine in Chinatown... Again, lots of really good food combinations and big portions! (Chinatown; 20 min walk)
Pho Pasteur- Huge bowls of pho for less than ten dollars. I know you asked for pricy stuff, but you really can't go wrong for the price and the taste. (Chinatown; 20 min walk)

Steakhouses/Pubs/Seafood
McGreevy's- right across the street from the Hynes and next to The Pour House, it's owned by the Dropkick Murphys and has simple but tasty pub food. (Boylston St; right across the street)
The Capital Grille- classy, fancy, and attached to the Hynes! Their french onion soup is awesome. (Boylston St; right next to the Hynes!)
The Barking Crab- can't get a better lobster roll or fisherman's platter! (South Station; 45 min walk)

Hope this helps! :)
not really, and i know this isn't my post, but I think i can speak for mostly everyone who's out of the area i don't want to take any ts in the area if i dont absulatly have to that can get annoying and a waste of money, also I'll have a blue braided wig, and a long dress (down to my ankles) and something around my neck so i don't want to go outside if i don't have to...

also this is mainly for Thursday night i don't feel like doing a huge venture since i'll be going to be there a little later then normal people...
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

You'd be surprised how many people value a good meal and aren't going to be wearing a long blue wig. I don't think you speak for 'mostly everyone'.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
jughands
Veteran Poster

Post by jughands »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:not really, and i know this isn't my post, but I think i can speak for mostly everyone who's out of the area i don't want to take any ts in the area if i dont absulatly have to that can get annoying and a waste of money, also I'll have a blue braided wig, and a long dress (down to my ankles) and something around my neck so i don't want to go outside if i don't have to...

also this is mainly for Thursday night i don't feel like doing a huge venture since i'll be going to be there a little later then normal people...
No worries! This was mainly directed at the original poster, or anyone who's looking for some nice eats around the city. Best of luck finding a yummy place! :D
:mrgreen:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

pulsedemon wrote:You'd be surprised how many people value a good meal and aren't going to be wearing a long blue wig. I don't think you speak for 'mostly everyone'.
^^; i mean for the cosplayers who do wear wigs ._.; (not just me) Ive also been to chains that was supposed to be good like PFChangs but they're overly pricy (at least where i live) i don't wish to spend 15$ on orange chicken I was spoiled by the Panda Express in the food court like everyone else ._.; (don't mind me im just throwing a tantrum right now)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

tim_p

Post by tim_p »

I gotta give a good word to B. Good too. I'm probably gonna be having like half of meals all weekend from 'em, though it sure ain't fancy.

IMHO there's a pretty big disconnect between the price of food and it's quality. Veblen goods.
Juggernaut_Drive

My results

In case anyone is interested in my experiences.

Thursday we went to Fogo de Chao
The food was very good. Service was excellent. Value was ok. I spent just over $100 and that included two glasses of cabernet sauvignon. I would definitely return. The beef was very good. The lamb was excellent. It was too easy to over eat as everything is unlimited. I have never been to a restaurant where a sever comes to your table and starts carving Fillet Mignon. Then another server comes over and offers rack of lamb, then another one comes over and offers bacon wrapped chicken, then I turned over my please serve me disk.

Friday we went to Haru
The food was ok. The service was lacking. I spent about $100. This included an appetizer (Shishito Peppers) and a lot of different sushi and sashimi. There were also three orders of hot sake. I lost (or won depending on how you look at it) with the pepper roulette. Wow was that one spicy.
My problem with the service may be due to a language problem. The server was polite but did not get the order right. She never brought the soup I ordered but I was full so I let it go. Also, my brother in law and I both ordered hot sake. She only brought out one to share. We explained that we each wanted one and she said if she brought two they would get cold. I assured her that it would be ok and that we finished the first one already so please bring two more. She brought one more. 10 minutes later and another attempt to explain, she brought out two more sakes. So, that's why I had three bottles of sake. At the end we asked for separate checks. She said ok then brought only one. At that point I took the cash from my brother in law and put the whole thing on my card. The food tasted ok. The salmon was not the freshest (it was separating) but nothing was bad.

Saturday we went to Douzo's
The food was excellent. The service was superb. My bill was $75 but that's a little misleading as my brother in law picked up the appetizer since I did the same at Haru's. That added almost $50 to his bill. The server clearly knew the menu and made some great suggestions. I saw sea urchin listed but ordered it as uni. This prompted him to say that while what was listed on the menu was domestic sea urchin, they did have some imported uni from Japan. It was expensive enough to make you gasp but wow was it good. I ordered both to compare as an order was only two pieces. The Japanese version was served with a raw quail egg on top. Wow was it good. The domestic version was pretty good too and 3 to 5 times cheaper. I had tempura and a few premium Japanese beers. The tempura was perfect. I would definitely go back.

So next year Douzo's is a must. Fogo de Chao is a maybe and Haru is a no.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions. Anime Boston 2016 was a blast.