And for those who don't want to click:
...Note the parts I bolded. As I said on Facebook last night, prepare accordingly!
Say goodbye to Panda Express, Boston Chowda Co, and Cheeseboy as culinary reprieves from the Prudential Center crowds. The shopping center’s food court is set to close after business hours June 25 in preparation for the construction of Eataly, according to Rebecca Rosello, marketing manager for Boston Properties.
Eataly is not just a restaurant: It’s an entire Italian marketplace. The retail and restaurant hybrid features fresh produce, grocery aisles, food counters, and dining. Founded in Italy in 2007 by businessman Oscar Farinetti, there’s now 27 locations worldwide.
Eataly executives signed a 15-year lease with Boston Properties to build the $20 million emporium at the Pru last month, according to The Boston Globe.
Nicola Farinetti, Oscar Farinetti’s son, told the Globe he hopes the 44,000-square-foot market—which will stretch over three floors—will attract about 5 million visitors a year.
The Pru location, slated to open in 2016, will be the third U.S. Eataly. Celebrity chef and restaurateur Mario Batali helped bring the business stateside.
Batali is no stranger to Boston; He opened his Babbo Pizzeria restaurant in the Seaport District this past April.
Of the places going away I could see Ben & Jerry's, The Cheeseboy, Qdoba, Panda Express and maybe Sarku Japan and Flamers coming back in a nearby location. One can only hope.
The main reason the PRU aggressively pursued getting Eataly is the bottom line: There ahave been two vacant stalls in the food court for months. The deal is good for 15 years to boot so...yeah. Time will tell.