South station to sheration

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
luisrockz48
Experienced Poster

South station to sheration

Post by luisrockz48 »

i need to get from south station to the sheraton on Friday to the con obviously lol not sure which is the best and easiest way and say i took a cab how much would it be and if i took public transportation how much is it per person
Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Re: South station to sheration

Post by Ugly Bob »

luisrockz48 wrote:i need to get from south station to the sheraton on Friday to the con obviously lol not sure which is the best and easiest way and say i took a cab how much would it be and if i took public transportation how much is it per person
You definitely want to use the subway (the T) to get there as it is cheaper and likely faster. It is 2.65 for a single ticket (2.10 with a reloadable CharlieCard; also good for discounts at the Prudential).

You get on the Red Line to Alewife, get off at Park Street then take the Green Line E car to the Prudential stop. Follow the signs to the Hynes Convention Center and you're there.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

luisrockz48
Experienced Poster

Post by luisrockz48 »

Anyone know how much a cab would be ?
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

luisrockz48 wrote:Anyone know how much a cab would be ?
More expensive than the T, that's for sure.

Since you are at South Station, take a moment to get a reloadable CharlieCard like Ugly Bob recommended. South Station is one of only a few stations where CharlieCards are given out. Get it from the ticket counter for free. There is literally no reason not to get one.
Ugly Bob wrote:You definitely want to use the subway (the T) to get there as it is cheaper and likely faster. It is 2.65 for a single ticket (2.10 with a reloadable CharlieCard; also good for discounts at the Prudential).
I haven't heard about using the CharlieCard for discounts at the Prudential. What can you use it on?
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

I looked it up for you on HopStop, it estimates a cab fare from South Station to 39 Dalton St. (the Sheraton) will be $7.80. Please remember that's just an estimate, and it depends a lot on traffic and the like, so expect it to be somewhere in the $7-10 range.

HopStop is a website I recommend, I use it all the time in NYC and it works for Boston too to find transit directions as well as taxi price estimations.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Post by Ugly Bob »

animosc wrote:
More expensive than the T, that's for sure.

Since you are at South Station, take a moment to get a reloadable CharlieCard like Ugly Bob recommended. South Station is one of only a few stations where CharlieCards are given out. Get it from the ticket counter for free. There is literally no reason not to get one.
Ugly Bob wrote:You definitely want to use the subway (the T) to get there as it is cheaper and likely faster. It is 2.65 for a single ticket (2.10 with a reloadable CharlieCard; also good for discounts at the Prudential).
I haven't heard about using the CharlieCard for discounts at the Prudential. What can you use it on?
Looks like I was actually thinking of the Pruferred Card, though there was a time in which the CharlieCard worked, as a Ben and Jerry's worker once mentioned that few seemed to know about it. I have one, but don't remember when I got one. The website mentioned that the Central Court at the Pru has them though. It works on a lot of restaurants, like Cheeseboy, Ben and Jerry's, and Haru.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

If your taking commuter rail into South Station, some of the lines stop at Back Bay, from which you can get to the Hynes completely indoors (underpass to Copley Place then skybridge to Prudential)

Many Amtrak trains stop at Back Bay as well, but you'd have to have that as your destination for your luggage to be removed from the train. Same with Peter Pan buses.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

As Fetch said, the Commuter Rail is your best option. It's also the fastest and will cost you 5.50 one-way. Most of the trains do stop at Back Bay Station, which is another major transportation hub (basically South Station but without a Bus Depot). From Back Bay, it's a short walk to the Sheraton and the Hynes through Copley Place and the Prudential Center.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Cab would probably round you about 15 dollars? Not really a cab expert, but definitely agree by subway. My friends and I go by subway every year and it works. Only problem is stairs.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

Aurabolt wrote:As Fetch said, the Commuter Rail is your best option. It's also the fastest and will cost you 5.50 one-way. Most of the trains do stop at Back Bay Station, which is another major transportation hub (basically South Station but without a Bus Depot). From Back Bay, it's a short walk to the Sheraton and the Hynes through Copley Place and the Prudential Center.
The cost is $5.50 one way if you purchase on board the train . If you purchase a ticket inside South Station from either the T fare machines, the Commuter rail ticket office, or with a smartphone using the MBTA commuter rail app (Back Bay station is in Zone 1A). Then the cost will be the same as taking the subway using a CharlieCard ($2.10)
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

And if you don't want to wait for a Commuter train going to Back Bay (depending on time of day there can be a 30 minute wait for one going to Back Bay), just get on the Red line Inbound. At Park Street, get on E branch of Green line and go to Prudential. That is the closest the T can get you to the Hynes.

Yes, there is a Hynes station that is serviced by the B, C, & D branches of the Green line. But from that station you need to cross one of the busiest streets in Back Bay to get to the Hynes.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

aznman08 wrote:
Aurabolt wrote:As Fetch said, the Commuter Rail is your best option. It's also the fastest and will cost you 5.50 one-way. Most of the trains do stop at Back Bay Station, which is another major transportation hub (basically South Station but without a Bus Depot). From Back Bay, it's a short walk to the Sheraton and the Hynes through Copley Place and the Prudential Center.
The cost is $5.50 one way if you purchase on board the train . If you purchase a ticket inside South Station from either the T fare machines, the Commuter rail ticket office, or with a smartphone using the MBTA commuter rail app (Back Bay station is in Zone 1A). Then the cost will be the same as taking the subway using a CharlieCard ($2.10)
Ooh right good point! I usually take the Commuter Rail to Hyde Park, which is in Zone 1. If you have a Monthly Linkpass, you don't have to pay anything. I've actually gotten on a train to Back Bay and gotten off without ever displaying my Charlie Card to a conductor XD
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^