MBTA Late Hours

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

MBTA Late Hours

Post by Elli21486 »

I don't think anybody mentioned this so it may be a good idea to mention it before the convention starts.

This year will be the first year (and hopefully not the last) that con-goers can stay later than they expected. That is because the MBTA started doing late night service on Friday and Saturday last year. It just so happened that they started the program a week after Anime Boston 2014. These new times affect all subways and several bus routes. You can view the MBTA's website for more details.

MBTA Extended Hours
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
JeffersonLeeEng
AB Staff

Re: MBTA Late Hours

Post by JeffersonLeeEng »

Yeah, but unfortunately, it is a shame that the free ride day isn't during AB weekend... :(

http://www.wbur.org/2015/03/11/mbta-rid ... ounts-snow
Jefferson Eng
Anime Boston — 2010
: Attendee | 2011: Registration Staff | 2013: Tech Ops: Desk Staff | 2012/14/15/18: Tech Ops: Jr Tech Staff | 2017: Tech Ops: Large Events Staff | 2022-Present: Tech Ops: General Tech Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otaku Generation Podcast
Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fansite
The Overnightscape Underground
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

On a slightly different topic, please note that the Government Center stop is closed. That shouldn't affect us directly, but I thought it would be good for people to know.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

DocWatson wrote:On a slightly different topic, please note that the Government Center stop is closed. That shouldn't affect us directly, but I thought it would be good for people to know.
We mustn't forget that. With that said, anyone traveling on the Blue Line will be better off getting off at State and boarding the Orange Line to Back Bay.
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Also, anyone traveling on the Green Line should take an E Branch Train to Prudential. It exits inside the PRU and is a short walk from the Hynes/Sheraton as well ^_^
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Aurabolt wrote:Also, anyone traveling on the Green Line should take an E Branch Train to Prudential. It exits inside the PRU and is a short walk from the Hynes/Sheraton as well ^_^
That's if you're going outbound/from the direction of Lechmere. Inbound on the B, C, and D Lines it's better to get off at ICA/Hynes and walk the two or three blocks—that's faster than going inbound two stations to Arlington Street, crossing over, and changing to the outbound E Line (unless you want to change at Copley and pay the fare again).
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

DocWatson wrote:
Aurabolt wrote:Also, anyone traveling on the Green Line should take an E Branch Train to Prudential. It exits inside the PRU and is a short walk from the Hynes/Sheraton as well ^_^
That's if you're going outbound/from the direction of Lechmere. Inbound on the B, C, and D Lines it's better to get off at ICA/Hynes and walk the two or three blocks—that's faster than going inbound two stations to Arlington Street, crossing over, and changing to the outbound E Line (unless you want to change at Copley and pay the fare again).
The term Outbound and Inbound can make things confusing. Outbound is any line going away from downtown and Inbound is the opposite. Downtown is considered Downtown Crossing, State, Government Center, and Park. Let's take the Orange Line for example. From Oak Grove to State, it is considered going Inbound. However, go from Downtown to Forest Hill and it is considered going Outbound. That is my experience with the T though. It is the reason it is best to say the terminus instead of Inbound/Outbound, ie. take the Orange Line towards Forest Hill and get off at Back Bay.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Let me translate the above two posts if you're not coming from Lechmere, North Station or Park Street. If you are on a D (Riverside), C (Cleveland Circle) or B (Boston Collage) Train, take it to the Hynes/ICA Station. Once you get above ground you will be on Mass. Ave. Turn LEFT and walk to Bolyston St. Cross the street and turn LEFT. Cross the bridge and the intersection. The Hynes Convention Center is the huge building before you.

Alternatively, if you ARE coming from Lechmere, North Station or Park Street follow the directions in my other post ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Aurabolt wrote:Let me translate the above two posts if you're not coming from Lechmere, North Station or Park Street. If you are on a D (Riverside), C (Cleveland Circle) or B (Boston Collage) Train, take it to the Hynes/ICA Station. Once you get above ground you will be on Mass. Ave. Turn LEFT and walk to Bolyston St. Cross the street and turn LEFT. Cross the bridge and the intersection. The Hynes Convention Center is the huge building before you.

Alternatively, if you ARE coming from Lechmere, North Station or Park Street follow the directions in my other post ^_^
Incidentally, Hynes & Prudential are both the station right after Copley. So when on Green traveling outbound & get to Copley, be ready to get off at next station.
If going inbound & reach Copley, you've missed your stop. You have two options: Go up and over to the inbound side OR take a 5-15 minute walk down the road. (Big time differential due to fact that sidewalk can be rather crowded at times)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Bringing this thread back for an update. The MBTA Board has decided to discontinue the Late Night Service. Sadly, this does affect our time at the convention as it is scheduled to end on March 18, 2016.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/board-votes-to ... t/38257654
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

Just clearing some confusion on my part, does that mean you can't ride it at midnight? Because, I know there's been a couple times I've left the con around 11:30pm and I don't want to be stuck halfway because the trains stopped running.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

Painted_Outlaw wrote:Just clearing some confusion on my part, does that mean you can't ride it at midnight? Because, I know there's been a couple times I've left the con around 11:30pm and I don't want to be stuck halfway because the trains stopped running.
After midnight, the subway begins to shut down. Most of the trains will wait for connections to other lines in the middle of downtown.

Here is the timetable for the winter season: http://mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Documents ... hedule.pdf

Use the last train for Monday-Thursday column to give you an idea of when trains begin their last run.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

Ah, thanks~. I'll have to keep an eye on that link during the con then and plan accordingly.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

It was just announced the other day the MBTA voted to eliminate Late Night service. So, if you need to get home or to a hotel outside the area, plan to leave the con around 11:00PM the latest to ensure you're not rushing to get that last train or bus. The last train leaves the end of each line at 12:35AM but buses do wait for that final train at each connecting station.

I plan to take the Orange Line from Back Bay to Forest Hills for example and then take a cab the rest of the way home Saturday night. That's the only night I'm really concerned about getting home as the T shuts down. LOL.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Well then, there are breaking news regarding this topic but this time, from the federal level. We will see what will happen from this point on.

http://www.boston.com/news/2016/03/04/f ... story.html
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

ErickCliff
I'm new!

Post by ErickCliff »

Elli21486 wrote:I don't think anybody mentioned this so it may be a good idea to mention it before the convention starts.

This year will be the first year (and hopefully not the last) that con-goers can stay later than they expected. That is because the MBTA started doing late night service on Friday and Saturday last year. It just so happened that they started the program a week after Anime Boston 2014. These new times affect all subways and several bus routes. You can view the MBTA's website for more details.

MBTA Extended Hours

Thanks man! ;)
Anime lover

:mrgreen: 8-) :ugeek:
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

ErickCliff wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:I don't think anybody mentioned this so it may be a good idea to mention it before the convention starts.

MBTA Extended Hours

Thanks man! ;)
This is what that page Elli21486 linked says:

Late-Night Service ends Friday night, March 18

Beginning Friday night, March 18, 2016, the MBTA is ending late-night Friday and Saturday service on Rapid Transit and Key Bus Routes on which this service was offered. The last Red/Orange/Green/Blue Line trains and Silver Line (SL1) will depart downtown stations at approximately 2 a.m. on Saturday, March 19, 2016.

Please e-mail latenight@mbta.com with any comments or questions regarding extended late-night services.

-------------------
Here is the times for first and last trains on the Green Line
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/ ... oute=GREEN
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Fetch wrote:
ErickCliff wrote:

MBTA Extended Hours

Thanks man! ;)
This is what that page Elli21486 linked says:

Late-Night Service ends Friday night, March 18

Beginning Friday night, March 18, 2016, the MBTA is ending late-night Friday and Saturday service on Rapid Transit and Key Bus Routes on which this service was offered. The last Red/Orange/Green/Blue Line trains and Silver Line (SL1) will depart downtown stations at approximately 2 a.m. on Saturday, March 19, 2016.

Please e-mail latenight@mbta.com with any comments or questions regarding extended late-night services.

-------------------
Here is the times for first and last trains on the Green Line
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/ ... oute=GREEN
Well then, did not realize the old like I provided last year was updated this year. Also did not realize that there is a contact email. Will be emailing them soon.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries