Preparation checklist: Things to bring with you!

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Preparation checklist: Things to bring with you!

Post by Aurabolt »

Elli21486 wrote:
Fetch wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
Aurabolt wrote: For those who will be commuting to/from a hotel that's not in the same area as the Con, get a Charlie Card and put $15 on it. That should cover your traveling expenses for the whole weekend and if you're not from the Boston Area, they can be used again next year since they don't expire.
That's actually a false statement. The Charlie Cards do expire but it is usually in years, ie. every 5 years. You can check when your card expires at any kiosk at any station.
http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/ch ... p?id=22672

I can't find it anywhere on the MBTA site, but I was told that the money you put on the card is good for 18 months. As I've never gone more than a few months before putting more onto mine, I cannot confirm or deny it.
Reads first line of the website link...
"Does A CharlieCard Expire? Yes..."

In reality though, there isn't really any other way to check for the expiration than at a subway station.

On a side note though, if a CharlieCard ever fails, you can go to the CharlieCard Store at Downtown Crossing to transfer to a new card.
...So in short, you agreed with what I said XD

Here's something I've been told face to face by the General Manager of the MBTA: If you have a balance on a Charlie Card, as long as it's registered via mbta.com the balance is transferrable. This includes when the card expires or goes inactive. You will need to bring it to the Charlie Card Store where they will transfer the remaining balance to a new card. It can only be done at the Charlie Card Store, which is at Downtown Crossing but is free of charge.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Kanechan wrote:Sometimes the CharlieCard will have an expiration date in the lower right-hand corner on the front. There's one on my card which says "Exp. 12/22", so I know I have at least that much time to get a replacement.

CharlieCards generally don't expire for 5 to 10 years after you get one, after which time they must be returned for replacement. Can't vouch for how long the fares stay on before you need to use them up, but they can be transferred from an older card to a newer one when the time comes.
ah so they're like a bus pass but for the T
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

BUMP!
haven’t bumped a thread since my gaiaonline days.....
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Nenie wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am BUMP!
haven’t bumped a thread since my gaiaonline days.....
Apparently, my Gaia Online account is still active lol.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Let's keep this going!

The rising popularity of the Coat/Bag Check means folks like myself who don't stay in hotels (I commute from home) can store stuff until it's time to go home for the day ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Aurabolt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am Let's keep this going!

The rising popularity of the Coat/Bag Check means folks like myself who don't stay in hotels (I commute from home) can store stuff until it's time to go home for the day ^_^
Coat Check is great, especially with colder events where you may not want to be wearing a big jacket.

On another note, I will like to add... Double/Triple check what you are bringing in. For example, I accidentally forgot to take some tools out of my backpack since I use said backpack throughout the year. Of course, I got it back when I left but checking avoids any delays.
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

I often forget to bring my current driver's license, but since I carry other ID it's been fine.
NanoZero
Experienced Poster

Post by NanoZero »

This weekend's supposed to be a washout, so don't forget those umbrellas!
AB2012: Kino
AB2013: Misaka Mikoto (casual)
AB2014: Ryuko Matoi (EP 1)
AB2015: Seo Yuzuki & Akatsuki (1st season)
AB2016: Inkling School Girl Version (Splatoon) & Oboro (Fire Emblem Fates)
AB2017:Umi Sonoda (China Dress & Arabian Dancer),Lucina & Hanamaru Kunikida (Winter Uniform)
AB2018:Constellation Umi Sonoda & Makoto Niijima
AB2019: Flower Bouquet Umi Sonoda, Cinnabar, F!Corrin & Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu)
AB2020:
????????
JosephW
Veteran Poster

Post by JosephW »

NanoZero wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm This weekend's supposed to be a washout, so don't forget those umbrellas!
Does the coat/bag check hold onto umbrellas? Don't want to be carrying it around all day with me inside the convention center.
AB 2018: Nick Wilde
AB 2019: Haida (Fri) / Inkling Boy (Sat)
AB 2022: Nick Wilde (Zootopia)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Five years later and this is still used. I'm glad. I still refer to it every year. I am glad it still helps everyone, and I am happier everyone here contributed as well to make it full and complete. Ever since, I make sure I always bring a power strip with me. Even to school! (A small one) Thank you.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
NanoZero
Experienced Poster

Post by NanoZero »

JosephW wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm
NanoZero wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm This weekend's supposed to be a washout, so don't forget those umbrellas!
Does the coat/bag check hold onto umbrellas? Don't want to be carrying it around all day with me inside the convention center.
Sorry about the late-ish reply!

I can't see why coat check wouldn't take umbrellas. If you can. bring a plastic bag with you to cover your umbrella when it gets soaked.
AB2012: Kino
AB2013: Misaka Mikoto (casual)
AB2014: Ryuko Matoi (EP 1)
AB2015: Seo Yuzuki & Akatsuki (1st season)
AB2016: Inkling School Girl Version (Splatoon) & Oboro (Fire Emblem Fates)
AB2017:Umi Sonoda (China Dress & Arabian Dancer),Lucina & Hanamaru Kunikida (Winter Uniform)
AB2018:Constellation Umi Sonoda & Makoto Niijima
AB2019: Flower Bouquet Umi Sonoda, Cinnabar, F!Corrin & Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu)
AB2020:
????????
JosephW
Veteran Poster

Post by JosephW »

NanoZero wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am
JosephW wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm
Sorry about the late-ish reply!

I can't see why coat check wouldn't take umbrellas. If you can. bring a plastic bag with you to cover your umbrella when it gets soaked.
Good to know.

Regardless of how much it's raining, I always make sure to shake off my umbrella before entering the building anyway :P
AB 2018: Nick Wilde
AB 2019: Haida (Fri) / Inkling Boy (Sat)
AB 2022: Nick Wilde (Zootopia)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Don’t forget to check what not to bring in your backpack, hand bag or pockets. I always leave my pocket knife behind. I try to minimize any metal.

I use a belt with a plastic buckle. My backpack has no metal.

Don’t forget charges and cables for your phone and laptop.

A poncho is good to bring. It can easily cover your cosplay outfit.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I would definitely advise bringing a Power Bank if possible. You can safely charge your phone, iPad and so on while sitting in a panel ^_^

...AB's prolly gonna utilize the Dalton St. entrance Friday and Saturday again to mitigate the time congoers are waiting outside to get in.

The Boylston St. entrance does provide shelter from the rain and in fact, I never once used a raincoat for Con weekend. This coming from a guy who commutes from home the whole weekend (I live in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Boston). An umbrella and jacket are sufficient.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Just an update:
The OpenMBTA app is no longer used by the masses as many have moved to an app called Transit by Transit App, Inc.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

One thing I don't see on either this or the Arisia list is a nightlight. I bring one to plug into the bathroom outlet so that we don't stumble around at night, and so that we can minimize the amount of light in the room by shutting off the other light fixtures.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

So... I think it may be time to update this checklist... Thoughts?
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Penti
Experienced Poster

Post by Penti »

I do think a refresh of the list would be good, since there is still some useful info in there, but also some that is outdated.