Laws for purchasing alcohol

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
princessai
Getting the hang of this...

Laws for purchasing alcohol

Post by princessai »

Hey everyone! I was looking at the laws for Massachusetts and it seems like you cannot purchase alcohol without a MA drivers license, Military ID, or passport. Will our group run into problems if we want to buy alcohol/drinks with RI licenses?
AB 2014
Yuuki Asuna

SO EXCITED <3
MrowrMix

Re: Laws for purchasing alcohol

Post by MrowrMix »

From my experience, it depends on the place you're buying it from. I only have a MassID, and I was unable to buy alcohol from a few places (liquor stores and restaurants included) because I didn't have a license, liquor ID, or passport. However, at some other places, they were perfectly fine with it. Some places are probably stricter about selling liquor to only people with the forms of ID you listed, but I think many establishments realize that Boston is a college city and that there are going to be a lot of college students who only have out-of-state ID.
Revan_Deschain
Expert Poster

Post by Revan_Deschain »

A lot of places are very strict about it. Just act confident and if someone refuses you, kindly take your ID back and find the next place down the road. There's plenty of packies to choose from. I think the Shaw's (Stop&Shop maybe) right up the street from AB sells liquor too.
AB 2017
Friday & Saturday:
Big Boss [TUXEDO]
Sunday:
The Revanchist
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I believe it is up to the seller. The Shaws will take out of state IDs, but you must be over 25.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I may be able to help you with this one, since I work at a facility where we have to card people sometimes. For Mass residence, you need an acceptable government issue ID such as a drivers license, liquor license, passport, military ID. For out of staters, the general rule is any government issue ID would work. However, some places are stricter than others and issue a policy where they will only allow alcohol consumption for people over [insert age higher than 21 here] for out of staters. That policy is in place to avoid most people with fake ID's, since most of the fakes tend to be between the age of 21 - 24. If you encounter a place that has one of these policies, you can just find another place that is less strict and some places would post it somewhere as you enter. Does this help you?
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
erbaltea
AB Staff

Post by erbaltea »

More often than not you will be ok. Some places may ask for another photo ID (School ID, Credit Card with a picture, Etc.) Im an NH resident and have been living in Mass for 5 years and have never had an issue.
Jared D. Erb
Special Projects '24
Assistant Director of Technical Operations '19, '20, '21, '22
Executive Advisory Council '16, '17 & '18
Special Projects & Load In/Load Out Coordinator '14, '15, '16, '17 & '18
Senior Tech Staff '13
"When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad!"
princessai

Post by princessai »

Thank you guys so much! This was all super helpful
AB 2014
Yuuki Asuna

SO EXCITED <3
jessikwa
Experienced Poster

Post by jessikwa »

Uhg, Shaws. :lol: I'll attest to the above post that they will definitely turn you down with an out-of-state license is you are under 25, it was a real pain. Everywhere else seemed to be fine with our licenses, though, including the bars.
Attending AB since '09