Would it be offensive to cosplay at certain places?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
dokuro
Experienced Poster

Would it be offensive to cosplay at certain places?

Post by dokuro »

I'm pretty weird in the sense that I like to costume at random because 3 days a year just isn't enough for me (heheh), so I sometimes will go out and around in cosplay. This may sound as an incredibly dumb question, but i'm asking it out of innocence and ignorance so please just answer honestly and don't kill me for it: would it be offensive to wear cosplay to say, China Town?

I personally don't see the harm in it, but the last thing I want to do is accidentally insult someone or come off as mocking people, because I'm not. Hell i get weird looks all the time, and rest assured im not some weeaboo who speaks in broken japanese (I got over that like, 6 years ago); it's just that, for me, going out in costume and making a fool of myself with friends is like, second-nature for me. BUT I still would not want to unintentionally offend anybody for whatever reasons. My friends and I are respectful of other places and people.

Sorry for the dumb question but i'd appreciate some opinions :)
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Re: Would it be offensive to cosplay at certain places?

Post by MomoMiraculous »

That depends on where. The Prudential Center and the parks are rather used to cosplayers since Homestuck and Hetalia meetup regularly throughout the year. So, if it's a public place like a park or the Pru, that shouldn't be a problem. Just use common sense, really. Don't cosplay near "sacred places" like churches or museums unless you have permission from people in charge of that property. But out in public, just walking down the street, I don't really see a problem so long as what you're cosplaying as isn't offensive to anyone. Hope this helps. :D
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Maxymas
Veteran Poster

Post by Maxymas »

Unless you're wearing something that actually may be offensive (for example, a Nazi swastika as apart of your Hetalia cosplay) then you should be fine, though you may get odd looks.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I will like to put in my 2 cents, or well a story.

Just before Christmas, I saw 2 cosplayers (college students, i believe) walking around the Boston Commons, one being Hatsune Miku and the other being one of the Attack on Titans characters (haven't watched the series yet so I don't know the characters by heart.) Also, at one of our events, a little girl (probably age 5) dress in a yukata. I don't think it will be offensive, just be careful with certain characters at certain areas (like Germany at the Holocaust Memorial)

I will also add that some people cosplay the day before the convention starts, making it 4 days for them.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked