Boston Marathon Bombing

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Boston Marathon Bombing

Post by Sayoria »

I just got wind of this a moment ago from a co-worker that a bomb has went off killing at least three people and others losing their limbs in Copley Square. I am not asking or expecting info right now on how this will effect Anime Boston, but I hope that the coordinators here can keep us posted.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
JohnHunter41
Experienced Poster

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Post by JohnHunter41 »

I am pretty hesistant about going to AB after this myself. One of my costumes I wanted to do has a gun and I was already skeptical about brining it thanks to the mass shootings that happned last year in Aurora and Sandy Hook. But after something like this that happens not that far from where AB is held I'm nervous about going. I would hope the staff and the hotel employees are gonna take the precautions. With the amount of people to be there they need to make sure people stay safe. I'd suggest bomb checks in every corner of the con center, the hotels and just about all over. Double..maybe triple the police and security work. And whatever else needs to be done.
Christine030898
Experienced Poster

Post by Christine030898 »

We can all guarantee that security will have a major increase. Prop weapon checks and bag checks are probably now increased also.
DArtJunkie
Experienced Poster

Post by DArtJunkie »

Yeah, will be curious to see if the con stays open or if they cancel this year. Definitely going to have hubby and the baby stay home this year.

People are getting crazier, I swear...
JohnHunter41
Experienced Poster

Post by JohnHunter41 »

DArtJunkie wrote:Yeah, will be curious to see if the con stays open or if they cancel this year. Definitely going to have hubby and the baby stay home this year.

People are getting crazier, I swear...
If they cancel I can only hope they do refunds for those who pre-registered or instead of it being for this year. Our pre-registration tickets will be used for next year
Christine030898
Experienced Poster

Post by Christine030898 »

A question asked on facebook was answered concerning cancellation of AB. Anime Boston is not canceled or rescheduled as of now. They are waiting for reports on this from the authorities. Check the facebook page for information.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Thanks Christine, this is great to hear. Still hoping to see how this effects the con though. As others have said, you wold think stiffer staffing and such, but at the same time, I dunno. We need a staffer to chime in on these things, rather than assume.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
p-chan
Expert Poster

Post by p-chan »

Ehh... I am getting uneasy about going, too...
I hope they find the terrorist(s) that did this before the con.
And hopefully they'll get theirs.

This is just terrible...
Goddamn.
・∀・ ~ ・∀・ ~ ・∀・
sconepop
AB Alumni

Post by sconepop »

Anime Boston is not cancelled or rescheduled as of this time. Should any policy changes result from today's tragedy, they will be posted for all attendees to read on our website and social media platforms. Because our policy making and security teams work closely with convention center staff as well as the city of Boston, and both those entities are currently busy managing the situation, I would not expect any official announcements from Anime Boston immediately.

In the meantime, please join us in keeping the victims and the city in your thoughts.
Kelley Kullman
Theme Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Iszumi
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Iszumi »

Thanks for keeping everyone informed. This will be my first Anime Boston and I have been looking forward to it since September of last year. All this week I've been doing more research on transportation and basically how to get to there from here.
My concern is that the authorities will consider Copley Square a crime scene for some time to come, which would be a little inconvenient because the Amtrak Back Bay station is not too far from there, and also the Copley stop on the Green Line. If worst comes to worst and hopefully the weather will be OK, I don't mind walking to where I'll be staying.
I have a gut feeling that the con will continue, because I don't doubt that Anime Boston is a major moneymaker for the city. But everyone will probably be a little more edgy, which is understandable.
I'll keep my thoughts and prayers for the dead and injured and for the people of the City of Boston, which is a city that I've never been to before and I'd like to have a chance to get to know. And I hope that they catch the so-and-so who did this soon.
maryland_otaku
Getting the hang of this...

Post by maryland_otaku »

My thanks to you too!

I don't feel worried or nervous at all about going to my first AB. Bad things happen all over the place and there are some things that are completely out of our control. Besides, it looks like the City of Boston has handled this situation with courage and care. If anything it makes me want to visit Boston more - I'll be in pretty good hands!
~ First Anime Boston 2013! ~
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Please feel free to continue the discussion in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16568
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager