T Advice?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Christine030898
Experienced Poster

T Advice?

Post by Christine030898 »

I have a choice here.
I am going to hopefully cosplay Denmark from Hetalia, and my costume will consist of a battle axe. not extreamly big, and the blade will be craft foam.
I want advice on if I should drive with my dad or take the T.
The axe would probably fit in the car, but I live in South Weymouth, so it would be quiet a drive including traffic, etc.
Taking the T would mean getting some strange looks with a battle axe, and I don't know how strict secruity would be. I know there would probably be other cosplayers that I could talk to though. I would take it out from the Braintree Station.
Also, any tips on where to get off? I live close enough that I am not staying at a hotel, so luggage and stuff is not an issue at all. Only props.
Nicole
AB Alumni

Re: T Advice?

Post by Nicole »

A giant foam axe that is obviously a prop and will not hurt anyone probably isn't going to be a problem with T security. The trick is just making sure to travel in and out when the train is not crowded. If you are worried about looks from people, though, you could wrap the axe in a big garbage bag, which would also keep it clean.
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

I live there too and take the train from the same place >_>

A big foam axe wont be an issue, and there's usually a lot of cosplayers on the train, especially as you get into the city. The most I've gotten are questions about where I am headed. I've taken kind of big stuff on the train with me before and it's never been an issue. I just kind of try and tuck things out of the way as best as I can. Problems only arise when people have real-looking guns and that sort of thing...T staff generally knows whats going on, also.

The way I usually go is I switch at Park St to the E line and take it to Prudential. That dumps you inside of the Prudential center and you just have to walk to the other side of the Pru for the convention center entrance. There might be more roundabout ways to get there that are less crowded, but that's probably the most direct route.
Christine030898
Experienced Poster

Post by Christine030898 »

Haha thanks. Not to worried about strange looks. Just security mostly. good to know it is not too much of a problem.
I will take the idea of getting off at Park St and taking the E. Thank you very much!
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

There are several options on getting off. The most common are transferring to the Green Line at Park St. and taking either the "E" line to Prudential or taking the ,"B", "C", or "D" line to Hynes Convention Center. For the most part, the only difference is that the Prudential is a short walk that is entirely inside and the Hynes Convention is a short walk that is entirely outside. Both are about the same distance though. The other option, which is usually less crowded is to transfer from the Red Line to the Orange Line at Downtown Crossing and head to Back Bay Station. There, you will have a longer walk from the station to the Hynes Convention but the entire walk is inside 2 buildings connected by a walkway over Huntington Ave. Hope this helps.

Also as an advice, if you are worried about being crowded, I would suggest following the same rules as the T's "Bikes on the T."
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked