While in the area....things to see?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Sayoria
AB Staff

While in the area....things to see?

Post by Sayoria »

Now, I don't live in Boston, I live pretty much 30 minutes south of there by train.

I work in transportation, and I have asked my driver the same question.... what are things that are worth seeing or is just fun to do in Boston? I have a friend interested in coming up in November, and I don't know what else there is to tell her. He has told me and helped me compile this list (regardless of season)

- Quincy Market
- Faneuil Hall
- Duck Boats
- Swan Boats
- John Hancock Observation Tower
- Shopping around the Prudential, and for a bit pricier shopping, Newbury Street
- The Aquarium
- The Museum of Fine Arts
- The Museum of Science
- The Freedom Trail
- Symphony Hall
- Fenway Park
- (Some cruise place that takes you around the harbor or something, I forget what he said)

And I think that was all we had.

She is mainly looking for "fun" than "educational" if possible. Anything like bumper car sort of places for example? Or anything else in general you know of? Something might fascinate her.

Is there anything else you folks can recommend here?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Re: While in the area....things to see?

Post by KatrinaDraws »

You must live near me somewhere, haha!

Adding to your list,
-Isabella Stewart Garder Museum: http://www.gardnermuseum.org/ (its right next to the museum of fine arts)
-There are a lot of cool boat things that leave from the harbor. Tours, whale watches, etc. It's all seasonal, but I am assume in May most things will be running. Since you seem to be looking for rides, I recommend Codzilla: http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/codzilla/ it's like a super fast boat ride.

There's not really any bumper car sort of places...there is a carousel in Boston Common though. That's actually a pretty fun place to walk around.

Unfortunately for you, I think most things are kind of on the educational side here since Boston tends to be all about the history. ^-^;

EDIT: ahh, I missed the November part. That's pretty tough. Not too much to do on the "fun" side of things here when the weather isn't so good...maybe a tour of Fenway Park?
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Yeah, that's the problem, the timing, lol, but great to know incase she comes earlier or later or whatever. s:....

As for closeness, I specifically live in Whitman. s:
MrowrMix
Getting the hang of this...

Post by MrowrMix »

That list pretty much covers all the staples of the Boston tourism scene. You could probably go watch Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse. Even if you've seen BMG in a different city, I think the shows are different enough from one another for it to be worth it, but I'm not sure. There are also rush tickets available a few hours before the show starts. Both times I got rush tickets, my friends and I were in the balcony, which are actually pretty good seats. (I actually like sitting in balcony seats sometimes.)

If you two are beer drinkers/enthusiasts, you could check out the Sam Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain (http://www.samueladams.com/brewery-and- ... ur-brewery) or the Harpoon Brewery on the Waterfront (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/). I hear the tours are pretty good, and they include tastings.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

While I am not a drinker, she is, but she is underage (19), so that wouldn't work. I appreciate the help. :)
tarantucat
Expert Poster

Post by tarantucat »

The list you've got going is pretty good. I can't really think of anything IN Boston, but there's this Jordan's Furniture in Reading, MA which is like 20 minutes or so north of Boston, and it has a place called Bean Town in it. It's this huuuuge room made out of jellybeans with a lot of sculptures and things, and there's really, really good ice cream, a water and light show, and a trapeze you can use and watch people try. There's also an awesome restaurant and an IMAX theater in the Jordan's/Bean Town. And of course you can buy jellybeans to your heart's content!

While not in Boston, it's one of my absolute favourite places to go. Always a good time!
:)
'09: Cosmo (Fairly Odd Parents)
'10: Sly Cooper, Ben 10
'11: Billy Hatcher
'12: Rebecca Chambers (RE0), Syaoran Li (CCS)
'13: Big Boss (MGS3)
'14: Spinelli (Recess), Sunny Emmerich (MGS: Rising)
'15: White Mushroom Heartless (KH1)
'16: Vault Dweller (Fallout), Yarny (Unravel)
'17: Amy Rose (Sonic CD), Regina (Dino Crisis)
'18: Zapp Brannigan (Futurama), Betty Cooper (Riverdale)
'19: Five (Umbrella Academy), Amanda Holliday (Destiny)
'22: Doc (Back 4 Blood)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

The John Hancock Observatory has been closed since 9/11/01.

The Prudential's is still open though. Prudential also has a restaurant called Top of the Hub.
Never been there myself (a bit too expensive for me) but I hear it's good.

One place left off of your list: Harvard Square
Always a nice place to look around. Oh, and you can go to Anime Zappa. That's in The Garage (where Tokyo Kid used to be)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I should know this since I work in the aquarium :P

Fetch:
The John Hancock Observatory has been closed since 9/11/01.

The Prudential's is still open though. Prudential also has a restaurant called Top of the Hub.
Never been there myself (a bit too expensive for me) but I hear it's good.
I have gone to the Skywalk at AB 2012 and the view is good, having a great shot of around Boston. The Top of the Hub, I have not gone there.

easiersaidthandrawn:
-There are a lot of cool boat things that leave from the harbor. Tours, whale watches, etc. It's all seasonal, but I am assume in May most things will be running. Since you seem to be looking for rides, I recommend Codzilla: http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/codzilla/ it's like a super fast boat ride.
Yes, the boats are seasonal and I believe the Whale Watches and Codzilla both start in early May. The Whale Watch, although I never gone, can take 2+ hours so that is one thing to consider. The Codzilla runs every 30 minutes to an hour as I will strongly advise that you bring an extra set of clothes as a precaution. I will like to mention that Whale Watches and the Codzilla usually ends in October/November. Since it seems this is for Novemeber, the Whale Watch and Codzilla may not be for you guys. In that case, you can see if the Frog Pond froze over and you can skate there. Also, something that should be fun for you guys are the Segway tours, where you ride around Boston on Segways (looks like the Segways are open from April to October).

One thing that may interest you though is getting a GoBoston pass, allowing you to visit several locations for one price.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

Another suggestion: Garment District in Cambridge. Always fun to sift around for any good finds -- hell, they might get a kick out of it if you went in cosplay, seeing as Boston Costume is on the first floor.
angrykyo
I'm new!

Post by angrykyo »

TD Garden for diehard basketball fans/hockey fans such as myself (a lifelong NBA fan). For those of you who are college heads, may I suggest shopping by Harvard Square? It'd be great to know some congoers who are also diehard basketball fans.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Aside from what's been said:

- The Strand Theater in Dorchester
- Opera House in the Theater District
- The Wang Theater in the Theater District
- The Paramount Theater in the Theater District (next to the Opera House)
- Jamaica Plain's JP Licks location (Worth the trip there IMO)
- The State House on Beacon Hill
- The Boston Public Library in Copley Square
- The Boston Harbor Islands (Take a boat/ferry from the New England Aquarium)
- Logan International Airport (No, seriously)
- The Arnold Arboredum (take the Orange Line to Forest Hills)
- Boston's North End (Take the MBTA to North Station or Haymarket)
- The Charlestown Navy Yard (Take the Orange Line to Community Center)
- The Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown (The view is GREAT for dates ^_^)
- The Mission Hill School in Jamaica Plain (Visit during the school year)
- Simco in Mattapan (Blue Hill Ave. and American Legion Highway)
- Roslindale Village (Take the #32 from Forest Hills or the #14 from Dudley Station in Roxbury)
- John Paul II Park on Morressey Boulevard in Dorchester
- Millenium Park in West Roxbury

...I can keep going.

I do want to comment on The Museum of Science. I went there two weeks ago and half the museum is under rennovation. The work is scheduled to be completed at the end of the year. WHen I went it only took me 25 minutes to see everything in the MoS and I took my time. Just something to think about if you're planning to go.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Aurabolt wrote:Aside from what's been said:

- The Strand Theater in Dorchester
- Opera House in the Theater District
- The Wang Theater in the Theater District
- The Paramount Theater in the Theater District (next to the Opera House)
- Jamaica Plain's JP Licks location (Worth the trip there IMO)
- The State House on Beacon Hill
- The Boston Public Library in Copley Square
- The Boston Harbor Islands (Take a boat/ferry from the New England Aquarium)
- Logan International Airport (No, seriously)
- The Arnold Arboredum (take the Orange Line to Forest Hills)
- Boston's North End (Take the MBTA to North Station or Haymarket)
- The Charlestown Navy Yard (Take the Orange Line to Community Center)
- The Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown (The view is GREAT for dates ^_^)
- The Mission Hill School in Jamaica Plain (Visit during the school year)
- Simco in Mattapan (Blue Hill Ave. and American Legion Highway)
- Roslindale Village (Take the #32 from Forest Hills or the #14 from Dudley Station in Roxbury)
- John Paul II Park on Morressey Boulevard in Dorchester
- Millenium Park in West Roxbury

...I can keep going.

I do want to comment on The Museum of Science. I went there two weeks ago and half the museum is under rennovation. The work is scheduled to be completed at the end of the year. WHen I went it only took me 25 minutes to see everything in the MoS and I took my time. Just something to think about if you're planning to go.
When I said I worked at the aquarium, I should have mentioned that the New England Aquarium is also under renovations, more specifically, one exhibit (The Giant Ocean Tank). At this time, the renovations is supposed to be completed in the Summer of this year. For a brief detail, all the fish in that tank has moved into the penguins exhibits and the Little Blue Penguins have been relocated to a room in the back. The Rockhoppers and the African Penguins have been moved to an off-site location.

Also, JP Licks is definitely a good choice and it isn't too far from the Prudential either. The one I am more familiar with is the one at Brigham Circle (Green Line - E Line) but apparently, there is one within walking distance of the Prudential near the Hynes subway station.
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Elli21486 wrote:
Also, JP Licks is definitely a good choice and it isn't too far from the Prudential either. The one I am more familiar with is the one at Brigham Circle (Green Line - E Line) but apparently, there is one within walking distance of the Prudential near the Hynes subway station.
Not anymore.

I found out the hard way last year at AB2012 when friends from out of town came to Boston for the Con. The landlord of the block sold the building and all the businesses on the block had to clear out. Yes even Best Buy.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Aurabolt wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
Not anymore.

I found out the hard way last year at AB2012 when friends from out of town came to Boston for the Con. The landlord of the block sold the building and all the businesses on the block had to clear out. Yes even Best Buy.
Well thats good to know then. Thank you Google for keeping your database up to date...
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

The crazy thing is it doesn't make any sense. The other businesses agreed having Best Buy and JP Licks there helped revitalize the neighborhood. No one really knows why they were asked vacate. Fortunately both companies took care of their employees at those locations and they were moved to nearby locations.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

I have to second catching a BMG show at the Charles Playhouse theater... I've been to see that show three times because it was just so much fun!
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Post by winterwing3000 »

Elli21486 wrote:
Aurabolt wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
Not anymore.

Well thats good to know then. Thank you Google for keeping your database up to date...
If it is any reassurance, there is a new JP Licks store opened on 1106 Boylston, right next to the Teriyaki House. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Sheraton, across the Mass Ave Bridge/Intersection and around the Berklee Music of College block. Went there last Friday.
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

winterwing3000 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
Aurabolt wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:
Not anymore.

If it is any reassurance, there is a new JP Licks store opened on 1106 Boylston, right next to the Teriyaki House. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Sheraton, across the Mass Ave Bridge/Intersection and around the Berklee Music of College block. Went there last Friday.
Why yes it is. Just check JP Lick's website and there is a location one at 1106 Boylston.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries