Places to eat around the con?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
jessikwa
Experienced Poster

Places to eat around the con?

Post by jessikwa »

I was wondering what kind of places people would suggest for eats around the convention center? I know there's a food court, but it's always so packed, and it's nice to try something different from your typical mall food.

Last year was the first time we really explored beyond the convention center when it came to our meals. We checked out Spike's Junkyard Dogs, which was great, as well as some Thai food place, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. =/
Attending AB since '09
Nicole
AB Alumni

Re: Places to eat around the con?

Post by Nicole »

There's an entire page on the AB site listing nearby places to eat: http://www.animeboston.com/location/food/ This will also be listed in the program guidebook and Guidebook mobile app.
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
jessikwa
Experienced Poster

Post by jessikwa »

That's great, thanks!

I was hoping for some actual recommendations too, like if there's any Boston staples that people visiting Boston ought to try.
Attending AB since '09
Nicole
AB Alumni

Post by Nicole »

jessikwa wrote:That's great, thanks!

I was hoping for some actual recommendations too, like if there's any Boston staples that people visiting Boston ought to try.
I live in the area, so I know a few places:

If you are of age to drink, Bukowski's has excellent pub-style food and a HUGE beer book.

For a quieter, funkier place, the Trident Bookstore Cafe is awesome. They have soups, salads and sandwiches, really good coffee drinks, bubble tea, and plenty of vegetarian/vegan options. And it's right inside a bookstore!

Steve's Greek has great Greek food and quick service.

If you're willing to travel a bit, there are a bunch of great places in Chinatown, like My Thai Vegan Cafe and Pho Pasteur Vietnamese. (About a 10-minute train ride on the Green Line, or a 25-minute walk from the convention center.) There are also some dim sum places.
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
jessikwa
Experienced Poster

Post by jessikwa »

Nicole wrote:
jessikwa wrote:That's great, thanks!

I live in the area, so I know a few places:

If you are of age to drink, Bukowski's has excellent pub-style food and a HUGE beer book.

For a quieter, funkier place, the Trident Bookstore Cafe is awesome. They have soups, salads and sandwiches, really good coffee drinks, bubble tea, and plenty of vegetarian/vegan options. And it's right inside a bookstore!

Steve's Greek has great Greek food and quick service.

If you're willing to travel a bit, there are a bunch of great places in Chinatown, like My Thai Vegan Cafe and Pho Pasteur Vietnamese. (About a 10-minute train ride on the Green Line, or a 25-minute walk from the convention center.) There are also some dim sum places.
Just checked out Bukowski's web page for their beer list; I'm sold. My boyfriend and I love IPA's and crafts beers and such, so I imagine we'll definitely be venturing over there. xD Thanks much for the suggestions!
Attending AB since '09
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

If you want to spend a little more money, between $15-$20, and like seafood then Legal Seafood is a nice Boston experience. There is the one in the Prudential Mall, but the Test Kitchen in the seaport is cool.

A cheaper option if you like burgers, then try b.good over on Newbury Street. Their sweet potato fries are very good.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

My friend is obsessed with Teriyaki House on Boylston next to Berklee College of Music. You can try that if you are willing to walk about 10 minutes.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

I, personally, am in love with a place called Scoozi on Newbury street! Cute Italian place and a staple every time I go into Boston. It's not painfully far from the con, because Newbury street is adjacent to the street the con is on, and just a short walk (probably 15-20 mins depending on the person) from there. Newbury street is also a fun place to visit if you want to check out shops and see a big chunk of Boston!
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Post by lyraparry11 »

Nicole wrote: For a quieter, funkier place, the Trident Bookstore Cafe is awesome. They have soups, salads and sandwiches, really good coffee drinks, bubble tea, and plenty of vegetarian/vegan options. And it's right inside a bookstore!
I second this! great food and desert too.

There is a huge food court right in the prudential center, as well as PF Changs and Cheesecake Factory. Theres also a great noodle shop (something like men tei noodle is the name of it, cant remember exactly) on one of the streets that goes between boylston and newbury (again, cant remember the name).
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

Only thing you need to remember with the food court is that, it WILL be NUTS during prime lunch and dinner times, and not too much better during the prime snacking times. If you can find a more out of the way option, it's probobly a good idea unless you actually like the con craziness feel of wading into long lines of cosplayers to get your food.
AB attendee every year since 2010.