South Station to Hynes via subway?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Nora Kisaragi
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Nora Kisaragi »

I will be arriving at south station, and I will take the subway to the convention center (versus the 45 minute walk) and the Hilton Back Bay hotel in front of it. Any tips on what subway routes to take?
gmsenpai
Veteran Poster

Post by gmsenpai »

Take the green line inbound to Park Street, transfer to the Green Line outbound 4 stops later is the Hynes subway stop. You'll still have a 5 minute or so walk to get to the Hynes.
Nora Kisaragi
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Nora Kisaragi »

Sorry, this is the first time i've been to the subway.

I should take the green line then transfer to the green line? Someone told me earlier to take the red line and transfer to the orange line..

Thanks a bunch by the way!

edit: I'm looking at the subway map and it says south station is on the red line, not the green line..

http://www.mbta.com/images/subway-spider.jpg
stardust462
Determined Poster

Post by stardust462 »

I think he meant transfer from the Red Line to the Green Line. That's the way you want to go.
gmsenpai
Veteran Poster

Post by gmsenpai »

[quote=stardust462]I think he meant transfer from the Red Line to the Green Line. That's the way you want to go.[/quote]

I completely did. It is indeed a transfer from the Red line to the Green line. I get in from North Station so its all green all the way which is why I have green on the brain apparently.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Are you coming in via Amtrak? If so, Amtrak also stops at Back Bay Station. You can just get off there, and walk a half mile to the Hynes.

Also, if you're taking the Green Line outbound (Westbound - which you would be if you go South Station->Red Line->Green Line->Hynes), you need to be aware that it splits into several lines. Green lines "B", "C", and "D" all go to Hynes, while "E" does not. But if you were on the "E" line you could get off an Prudential station - the Hynes is connected to a mall (the Prudential Center) - and Prudential Station is directly adjacent to the mall.

The trip planner on the MBTA website can be very helpful. It can get you both subway routes and bus routes.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Re: South Station to Hynes via subway?

Post by Phantom 1 »

Though it's entirely your preference, I find taking the E to the Prudential Center a lot more convenient. Not only do you get to walk through a way cool-looking mall (complete with Game Stop, Barnes & Nobel, Dunkin Donuts, you know, all the important stuff :lol: ) but its perfect in the case of inclement weather (which Boston seems to get every now and then).
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I agree with Phantom. The Prudential stop off of the E train is MUCH easier. You don't have to walk outside and it feels closer to me than the actual Hynes stop but that might just be me. And at any rate, the less I have to walk with my arms full of stuff, the better. Not to mention, the E train is usually not TOO crowded considering even if the Sox are in town for the same weekend, the E train doesn't go to Fenway (Kenmore Square) so I don't have to cram in there with a bunch of diehard Sox fans. (No offense to anyone I'm just not that into baseball). :)
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
liseyatthedisco
Veteran Poster

Post by liseyatthedisco »

I disagree with your theory that the E train isn't crowded. I commute into Boston 3 days a week for school, the E train is the one that comes the least (Boston College is the most common) and as a result is always extremely crowded, to the point where you will NEVER get a seat, and sometimes won't even be able to squish in enough for the doors to close. It gets better later in the day, but this is around 8:30 am so if you intend to go in early to the con, I would suffer through the very short walk from the Hynes stop rather than wait for the E.
windibro.tumblr.com

2009: Zoey (L4D)
2010: Heather (SH3)
2011: Draco (AVPM) Gaz (IZ) Ellis (L4D2)
2012: Viscount Druitt
2013: ZillyWave, Dog Tier Jade, Black Rat
2014:Yang Xiao Long, Genocider Syo, Misty Day
2015: Newt Geiszler, Tooru Mutsuki
2016: Daisya Barry
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

liseyatthedisco wrote:I disagree with your theory that the E train isn't crowded. I commute into Boston 3 days a week for school, the E train is the one that comes the least (Boston College is the most common) and as a result is always extremely crowded, to the point where you will NEVER get a seat, and sometimes won't even be able to squish in enough for the doors to close. It gets better later in the day, but this is around 8:30 am so if you intend to go in early to the con, I would suffer through the very short walk from the Hynes stop rather than wait for the E.
I don't usually get into Boston until late afternoon so it's probably why I never have any issues with that train. The bus I take doesn't arrive into Boston until usually between 1 or 3 depending on which one out I can get so it's usually pretty smooth sailing for me. -shrug-

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
jimtech4
I'm new!

Post by jimtech4 »

South Station is a Red Line stop, take any train going to Alewife to Park St., go upstairs and take any Green Line car EXEPT the "E" car to the Hynes/Prudential
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Having commuted to school via Commuter rail (granted that was years ago!) If your going to the Hynes/Sheraton via commuter rail, you can get off at Back bay, walk out the Dartmouth street side. Cross the street into the Neman Marcus / Au Ban Pan(which is the Copley Place Mall) and then walk inside the whole way (via the Marriott and then the Prudential Mall)

And since the Orange Line runs a whole lot more frequently than either the D or E Green line, that can also be a time saver with just a bit more walking and only a short amount of time outside.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Yes, if you are coming in via Commuter Rail, get off at Back Bay.
Go up the stairs into the lobby, down the stairs in the middle of the lobby, through the pedestrian underpass, up the stairs, up the escalator into Copley Place, walk through Copley Place, down the 1 flight of stairs, pass the Marriott, through the pedestrian overpass, and go through the Pru mall to the Hynes.

See. No need to go out into potentially icky weather.

Now, if we could only pressurize it, we'd be all set for when Back Bay is reclaimed by the Charles River.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Fetch wrote:
Now, if we could only pressurize it, we'd be all set for when Back Bay is reclaimed by the Charles River.
lmao!

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I would partialy diagree with you about the E line being crowded. This is from experience but the only reason the E line is crowded (that I have seen) is due to school/college. If you think about the amount of school/colleges, there are Northeastern U., Wentworth, MassArt, and MCPHS with a Boston Public School mixed in. The worst time to travel on the E line is on weekdays around when classes start and end. Weekends, it's not crowded much and you actually can get a seat or two. I should also mention that there is the Museum of Fine Arts and some hospitals that do have some factor. In reality, most of those passengers will end up between Northeastern Station and Brigham Circle Station.

Since many have suggested using the E line and Prudential is the easiest of any station, I do predict it will be crowded on convention days. I predict the same for all Green-line trolleys. The station you can go to are Back Bay on the Orange Line, Prudential on the Green - E Line, Hynes on the Green - B, C, D Line, and honestly have not seen this station once, Copley on all Green Line.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Hey Nora. I go to South Station every year, and head off to Backbay myself. That is what we do, the red > orange way.

South Station > Downtown Crossing
Downtown Crossing > Back Bay

From here, me and my friends walk to the Marriott and check in. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Back Bay station.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Post by Chrissii »

Yes, I usually take the Green Line to Copley and just walk across the street by the library and enter the Copley mall on that side. It's connected to the main Prudential mall by skywalks, so if you just walk all the way through the mall you can get there! ^^ I find it easiest since you don't have to wait for a specific lettered line, since the split is after Copley.
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)