Any icecream shops within the area?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

My group and I might hit an icecream shop thursday night....might, but I only really know of Ben and Jerry's. We were thinking of MAYBE going to Porter Square and grabbing some frappes over there, but we would probably rather stay closer to the hotel. Is there anywhere else that has pretty good icecream variety at a less-than-expensive cost?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

JP Licks. Newbury Street. Near Best Buy. Best ice cream in the area.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

there's a coldstones outside of the pru. (or at least their was last year)

as far as price goes, ice cream is just going to be expensive no matter where you go.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Never saw the Coldstones....then again, I never really looked around too too much, haha. Yeah, it is Boston, I know, but some places are cheaper than others. While I know the prices are tough, best bang for the buck then? :P

@PatrickD: I just mapquested it, because I am not entirely familiar with the area (We only go as far as Unos Thursday) and that is like.... two streets away. Will have to put that into consideration, thank you. :)
Hielostar
Experienced Poster

Post by Hielostar »

For ice cream, JP Licks on Newbury St. is delicious (I'll definitely second Patrick's recommendation)!

For gelato, Bon Bon on Mass. Ave has great gelato and sorbet (my personal favorite is the White Pear gelato when it's available).

For frozen yogurt, you have two options. Red Mango is on the corner of Mass. Ave and Huntington Ave. However, if you're willing to walk a little farther out, Berryline (a local chain) is on Boylston St. (near Fenway Park) has better froyo IMO. Both places do have mochi available as a topping (although it's pretty popular, so it can sell out fast!)
/ænɪme bɔstɪn/ 2006-2022

2022: Your favorite Zaku girl selling model kits in the Dealer’s Room!
Rappak
AB Executive

Post by Rappak »

Emac's and Bolio's on Newbury street is really good. They have more traditional flavors than JP Licks.

Tosconnini's across the bridge and past MIT is my favorite. They make all their flavors on site and you can watch them make it. Brown butter brownie is so good!
Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Wow, so many places nearby. :)

I am going to browse them all, and see if any of them would look good to my group to visit. Appreciate all the recommendations guys. :)
Mara
AB Alumni

Post by Mara »

Boston is a very ice-creamy city: there's nothing unusual about seeing a huge line out the door of J.P. Licks in the dead of winter. This is one of the things that I love about Boston.

If you're feeling like you could use a good walk, I have to second going to Toscanini's across the river (it's actually very walkable, but it involves crossing the Harvard bridge and going into a new city which you may or may not be into, though you could also grab the #1 bus and get off at Mass Ave/Main St.). They have some of the most creative flavors of ice cream around. They change up their flavors very regularly, but if you're lucky, you'll go when they have Green Tea KitKat or Eary Grey (my husband's favorite) or something (and you can also request it on the page I just linked to). My recent favorite is Sour Cream (who woulda thunk?).
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

One of the girls with us has a biiiiig walking problem though. I mean, the years we would walk from South Station to the con, and in January, we walked 2 miles to get to that Reni Mimura thing as that Asia bar, she had to stop quite a few amount of times. It isn't her fault though, because she DOES have a rather weak body for some things. (Heck, one AB, she had a bad bloody nose incident even) So with that, outside of the con, we really rather not do too much walking for her sake.

I know we could always subway it, but yeah, haha.

As for the place itself, I admit, I see alot I never heard of before. Lemon Pistachio?.... O_o.... I love my pistachios, but what the hell? Haha. Definitely will look into it though if there is a subway to it nearby, and see what the group thinks. Thanks. :)

Mara
AB Alumni

Post by Mara »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:One of the girls with us has a biiiiig walking problem though. I mean, the years we would walk from South Station to the con, and in January, we walked 2 miles to get to that Reni Mimura thing as that Asia bar, she had to stop quite a few amount of times. It isn't her fault though, because she DOES have a rather weak body for some things. (Heck, one AB, she had a bad bloody nose incident even) So with that, outside of the con, we really rather not do too much walking for her sake.

I know we could always subway it, but yeah, haha.

As for the place itself, I admit, I see alot I never heard of before. Lemon Pistachio?.... O_o.... I love my pistachios, but what the hell? Haha. Definitely will look into it though if there is a subway to it nearby, and see what the group thinks. Thanks. :)
The easiest way would definitely be the #1 bus. You can catch it at the corner of Mass Ave. and Newbury St. (near Best Buy). There's a bus about every 10 minutes. Ask the driver to let you out at Mass. Ave + Sidney Street/University Park. Tosci's is like less than a minute's walk.

Here's a link to info on the #1 bus:
http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/bus/routes/?route=1

It's also just a fun bus to take as it's often filled up with people from all walks of life, from office workers to gutter punks to old ladies to teenage kids, etc.
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

As has been noted, go with JP Licks (best Ice Cream in Boston BAR NONE--even better than Emack & Bolio's) but the Cold Stone is pretty decient as well as closer (a few doors down from Cheesecake Factory outdoor entrance).

...Ben & Jerry's gives you too little for what they charge in comparison plus they overcharge you on the toppings. Unless you and 4+ friends plan to split a Vermonster (The only thing on the menu worth the price tag IMO) don't waste your time with them.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Mara
AB Alumni

Post by Mara »

Thing is that it's not hard to find a Cold Stone in most places (same w/Ben and Jerry's). Why go for something you can get any time when you're within range of J.P. Licks? My third favorite ice cream place, as it were. I love their peanut butter hard yogurt with mini choco chips.
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

5 Words regarding JP Licks:

Oreo Cake Batter Ice Cream.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Faceman wrote:5 Words regarding JP Licks:

Oreo Cake Batter Ice Cream.
That sounds tempting. Is oreo the only cake batter they got? Last time I had a cake batter icecream, my mouth was pleased for a week.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Here's their flavor listing: http://www.jplicks.com/monthly_flavors.html

They have standard flavors, and a rotating list of monthly flavors. Last time I went, they had Red Velvet Cake batter too, though it might've been just for March.
Chris O'Connell

Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

A tad bit of thread necromancy, but thought I'd put this out there if anyone is curious. Besides J.P. Licks, B&J, and ColdStone, a Pink Berry was just opened in the Prudential mall across from the food court. They literally just opened it last week. So yes, plenty of ice cream options around the convention.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Staren wrote:A tad bit of thread necromancy, but thought I'd put this out there if anyone is curious. Besides J.P. Licks, B&J, and ColdStone, a Pink Berry was just opened in the Prudential mall across from the food court. They literally just opened it last week. So yes, plenty of ice cream options around the convention.
If it is right there, I will definitely take a look when I happen by the food court. We always hit it up every year, so we will check it out, thanks. :)
Roessen
Veteran Poster

Post by Roessen »

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread.

Thank you so very much, really.

I had no idea ice cream places were so close, and I went through ice cream withdrawals each year.
I PLAY GW2 DO YOU PLAY GW2 LET'S TALK GW2 STUFF YAY
3DS Friend Code: 2921-9087-3096
NNID: Roessen
PM if you added me!
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

Yea, three of the four are right in the mall. J.P. Licks is a couple of blocks over, but B&J and now Pink Berry are right in or across the hall from the food court, and ColdStone is on the back side of the mall. If you go out the main entrance of the Sheraton and hang a left past P.F. Changs and follow the outside of the mall you can't miss it.

And to the original poster, I fully understand the walking issue your friend deals with. Personally I have a disability called Cerebral Palsy which basically means my effective walking distance is about 2 blocks before I've had it, and that's with forearm crutches. So my general rule of thumb is if I don't mind getting there, most people won't have a problem.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
Hielostar
Experienced Poster

Post by Hielostar »

Staren wrote:A tad bit of thread necromancy, but thought I'd put this out there if anyone is curious. Besides J.P. Licks, B&J, and ColdStone, a Pink Berry was just opened in the Prudential mall across from the food court. They literally just opened it last week. So yes, plenty of ice cream options around the convention.
Interesting - I haven't been back in Boston for a while, so I'll have to check out Pink Berry if the line is not a mile long.
/ænɪme bɔstɪn/ 2006-2022

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I tried it this morning. I didn't understand the reason for the waiting area at the time I went but when I went back later in the day the place was packed.

The new Ice Cream Stand is literally that: An Ice cream stand. If you're looking for Wagamama you'll have to walk past it so yeah.

...Not sure if Wagamama is gonna like folks who go to the ice cream stand using the seating they have outside their restaurant. I actually noticed some guys moving the tables and chairs inside the restaurant so...yeah XD

...In Boston you want to just go with J.P. Licks if you can help it. The nearest one from AB is in Brigham Circle. Take the Green Line E Outbound from the Prudential T station. When you get off it's across the street =D

Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Hielostar
Experienced Poster

Post by Hielostar »

Aurabolt wrote: I tried it this morning. I didn't understand the reason for the waiting area at the time I went but when I went back later in the day the place was packed.

The new Ice Cream Stand is literally that: An Ice cream stand. If you're looking for Wagamama you'll have to walk past it so yeah.

...Not sure if Wagamama is gonna like folks who go to the ice cream stand using the seating they have outside their restaurant. I actually noticed some guys moving the tables and chairs inside the restaurant so...yeah XD

...In Boston you want to just go with J.P. Licks if you can help it. The nearest one from AB is in Brigham Circle. Take the Green Line E Outbound from the Prudential T station. When you get off it's across the street =D
Thanks for the visual of where the stand actually sits - my fiancé and I frequented the Pru a lot when we were in college and were trying to figure out where they would be able to fit a new ice cream place. That sounds like the general area where there was a pen kiosk and a sunglasses kiosk.

Looks like I will be sticking to either ice cream at JP Licks or checking out the Pinkberry that's on Newbury St. instead (which is conveniently near another place I frequented a lot when I was in undergrad - Johnny Cupcakes).
/ænɪme bɔstɪn/ 2006-2022

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Aurabolt wrote: I tried it this morning. I didn't understand the reason for the waiting area at the time I went but when I went back later in the day the place was packed.

Actually, the nearest J.P. Licks is over on Newbury St. Just a short walk from the Hynes.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jp-licks-boston

Take a left out of the Hynes, take a right at the Fire Station, then left onto Newbury St. J.P. Licks will be down on your left. If you reach Best Buy, you've passed it.
Totalanimefan
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Any icecream shops within the area?

Post by Totalanimefan »

I've never been to Boston, so I don't know, but wouldn't there not be any Ice Cream places open since it's only the beginning the April when the con is going on?
Cons:
Been to: Otakon 2010, Megacon 2011, Otakon 2011, Alcon 2011, MCM Expo 2011
Planning: London Anime Con 2012, SunnyCon 2012, SuperCon 2012, Anime Boston 2012, Otakon 2012, Alcon 2012.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Totalanimefan wrote:I've never been to Boston, so I don't know, but wouldn't there not be any Ice Cream places open since it's only the beginning the April when the con is going on?
People do buy ice cream year round, you know ;)

Stonecold Creamery, JP Licks, and Emack & Bolio's are all open year-round. And all within walking distance of the Hynes. Just to name a few.
Chris O'Connell

Totalanimefan

Post by Totalanimefan »

Faceman wrote:
Totalanimefan wrote:I've never been to Boston, so I don't know, but wouldn't there not be any Ice Cream places open since it's only the beginning the April when the con is going on?

Stonecold Creamery, JP Licks, and Emack & Bolio's are all open year-round. And all within walking distance of the Hynes. Just to name a few.
Thanks, I'm from Florida, where we do have them open all year around, but I have family that lives in PA and they said that most if not all of there stores are closed when it's cold.

I'll make sure to try JP Licks since I hear that it's really good ^^
Cons:
Been to: Otakon 2010, Megacon 2011, Otakon 2011, Alcon 2011, MCM Expo 2011
Planning: London Anime Con 2012, SunnyCon 2012, SuperCon 2012, Anime Boston 2012, Otakon 2012, Alcon 2012.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Totalanimefan wrote:
Faceman wrote:

Thanks, I'm from Florida, where we do have them open all year around, but I have family that lives in PA and they said that most if not all of there stores are closed when it's cold.

Oreo Cake Batter is one of my favorites of theirs!
Chris O'Connell

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Totalanimefan wrote:
Faceman wrote:

Small, independent places outside of heavily populated areas often are seasonal, but places in a big city like Boston and the chains like Coldstone don't tend to follow the seasonal model.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

JP Licks is an independent chain just like B.Good and Sal's Pizza.

It doesn't matter which one you visit, they have the same great selection of flavors and toppings ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Well, I missed going last year, but my group is definitely thinking about it this year, and I want to get to JP Licks. I looked up the location, it seems quick and easy, and if the night is beautiful, it could be a great place for an after-summer dessert.

To those who have eaten there before. What are the price ranges on their icecream? I see nothing for prices on their website. I expect they are a more pricey place?
Nicole
AB Alumni

Post by Nicole »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:Well, I missed going last year, but my group is definitely thinking about it this year, and I want to get to JP Licks. I looked up the location, it seems quick and easy, and if the night is beautiful, it could be a great place for an after-summer dessert.

To those who have eaten there before. What are the price ranges on their icecream? I see nothing for prices on their website. I expect they are a more pricey place?
According to AB's Where to Eat guide, JP Licks is generally under $10 (I think most of their stuff is under $5), maybe a little more if you're getting something special: http://www.animeboston.com/location/food/
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Post by Chrissii »

If you're into frozen yogurt, a Pinkberry has opened up right in the Prudential Mall, diagonally across from the food court! (Near Wagamama.) It's really close to the Convention Center entrance and you don't even have to go outside~~
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

5-10 may be manageable Are the icecreams decent sizes though? Kinda don't like paying 10 bucks for a small sampler cup, you know? Lol.

Yeah, saw the pink berry last year. Tried getting some, but the line was Anime Boston 2008 all over again. Totally wanted none of that. :p.... Plus, if the night is beautiful Thursday like it was the last few years, a walk wouldn't be too bad for us.
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Post by Chrissii »

Yeah the lines are still really long consistently every time I'm in there! It's amazing, honestly, haha. Uhm, I've never paid an exuberant price for ice cream... I certainly don't think I've ever paid $10 for ice cream, at least? I think at JP Licks, I get a medium usually with hot fudge and it's around $5-6... I dunno. Their prices have always seemed reasonable to me.

Then again, if I'm buying ice cream, my mind is usually not paying attention to money, and just thinking "WOOOO ICE CREAM!!!!" >_>
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Lol, yeah, I hear you, but I am not close enough to the con date to go "oohhh, icecream!" just yet, so now is a good time to check on the money side of it. :p..... Doesn't seem so bad though. Still can probably check it out. Thanks. :)
Rappak
AB Executive

Post by Rappak »

I still recommend Tucanini's in Cambridge for interesting out of the box flavors. Just take the one bus over and get off at the Sidney street stop on Mass Ave. I go there every once in a while in the summer!
Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I think as late as it will be for us, that might be a bit too long away. We DO hit Cambridge once in a while outside of the con, so I can keep this in mind, thank you. :)

See, we plan to hit Unos like we do every year at about 6-7PM. After that, most of us will be wanting to go back to the hotel to rest, but if there is/was someplace closer for us, that could work out. JP seems close enough, and I can probably talk them into that. :s... ALWAYS up for trying new icecream places though. It's been too long since I was last in Cambridge though. I miss it. =/
yongsoo

Post by yongsoo »

big fan of berryline. I love tart froyo!
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

For those who intend on going to J.P. Licks on Newbury Street during Anime Boston, that is unfortunately no longer possible. They have closed down their location, due to their lease expiring and Newbury Street wanting them to lease the entire building to a single tenant. Even if they wanted to, they could not afford nor utilize the space.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Ouch, really? Damn. =/...... Well, thanks for letting us know. Am planning on a group chat with my friends any night now, and well, that is definitely something we will have to avoid now. We will take the names given here for us, and see on the howgood/how close factor, to which one we will go to. Shame about JP Licks.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

If you really want to go to JP Licks, there are two more in the area. Take the Green Line E train from the Prudential Center T stop outbound to Brigham Circle, and there's one in the Stop and Shop shopping plaza. You can also take the 39 bus to Brigham Circle (bus stop across the street from the Pru, in front of the fountains). It's open til 11pm.

There's also one at Coolidge Corner on the Green Line C train, open til midnight. But I think the Brigham Circle one is easier to get to for those unfamiliar with the city, as it's just down Huntington Avenue a mile and a half.
Chris O'Connell

Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Appreciated, but it is going to be about 8PM by the time we are done with supper, and I can already tell that if we go for anything, my group is one of those "not up for travelling too far" groups. We actually have a girl with us that needs breaks every bit we walk. Sure, we would be taking the train, but after just eating supper, it would feel a bit out there I think. Dinner > Train > Icecream > Train. Just looking for somewhere more local to the spot that is really good. Doesn't need to be JP Licks. Will still consult everyone about it though. Alot of places here recommended, just a visit to each place's website oughta concrete a choice.

The rest of these icecream places are still intact though, correct?