Japanese schools?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
suzumiyaharuhi
Getting the hang of this...

Japanese schools?

Post by suzumiyaharuhi »

I've been learning Japanese on my own for a while...but it's going nowhere :( Are there any schools in Boston? I attend a community college, and they don't have Japanese classes. And I know some of the colleges/universities do, but I probably can't just sign up for that, right?
I also know of the Japan Society (http://www.us-japan.org/boston/), but their classes don't seem all that "intensive". So what I'm looking for is one of those 'cram school'-esque places.
But if The Japan Society is my only option, I guess I'll just take anything.

Hope to get some advice. Thanks :D
Amjam
Determined Poster

Japanese schools?

Post by Amjam »

You could try Showa Institute Boston. (: It has a few international and some 17 week Japanese programs. I think there's a summer and a fall one.

Here's the link to their page:

http://www.showaboston.org/home.html

My friend went there two years ago, and I've heard nothing but good things about it from people who have.

There's also the Japan Society of Boston, I'm not sure if they have language classes though.

www.japanindiana.org

I'm just starting a program near where I live, unfortunately I don't remember the name.

Hope this helps!
:geek: Arthur
attendee since '06, occasional panelist
suzumiyaharuhi

Japanese schools?

Post by suzumiyaharuhi »

Thank you for the help! So there is another school here...^^;
But it seems it uses the same books as the Japan Society. I'm kinda looking for a place that uses something like the 'Genki' series or something less 'hurried'.

And the Showa courses are a bit more expensive and longer. I'm kinda planning on going to Japan next summer, and their Spring '07 semester goes through June 28...hmm.

Thank you again! I really really appreciate it :D
MotivationProclamation
Experienced Poster

Japanese schools?

Post by MotivationProclamation »

[color:99cc66]Here's a link to an longterm homestay program.

http://www.langubridge.com/tklong.htm [/color]
suzumiyaharuhi

Japanese schools?

Post by suzumiyaharuhi »

Thank you for the link ^^ But right now, I can't afford anything like that, so maybe I will consider once I can and know some Japanese.

And after giving more thought to it, I think I'll sign up for Showa. Because with Japan Society, even though it's $250, you have to pay a membership fee etc, so it's basically the same price. But I think Showa will give me the chance to make some friends so...yeah ^^;;
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Japanese schools?

Post by marikotoeii »

www.bostonlanguage institute.com

Ok so i am currently takinf Japanese from these guys and let me say they are AMAZING!!! Located directly in front of the t exit in kenmore sq, BLI offers flexible classes (and session lengths) for about $400 per class.

They have Japanese level 1-6. I have completed 1 and have just started 2. The classes are taught by native speakers. Class sizes are small (always under 5) so its really personalized attention. We use the "Japanese for Busy People" Book Series along with learning excercises, lecture, and games to learn the language.

I live in NH, so i have been taking the 4 week accelerated coourse. (I only recommend this if you are profficient in understanding grammar and writing, as there is a lot of material to cover. They also offer daytime and 8 week sessions. Both sessions have weekday ( Am and PM) and saturday classes, so if you have a ft job or are a ft student they make it easy for you to cordinate your schedule.

I can also say that i learned all hiragana and katakana in level 1, along with counting systems, telling date and time, basic sentance structure, important grammer structure, as well as conjugation of verbs and tenses. Now in Level 2, i have learned so far verbs as well as the use of adjectives. Kanji are introduced in Level 3.

They also have a fluence test that you can take at the end of Level 6. They are ALWAYS looking for more students. Several of the instructors are also available for personal tutoring as well.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Japanese schools?

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I know someone at the health club I swim at who will be moving to Japan in the summer, and she told me she has been getting Japanese lessons in Boston. I for fun did a search to see where in Boston they give Japanese lessons, and on Berlitz's website, well, I'm not sure if it's Berlitz where she's taking her lessons, but, their location in Boston is at 437 Boylston Street. They also have a location in Wellesly Hills, at 40 Washington Street. Here's their website:

http://www.berlitz.us/?gclid=CIrk5uCq9IkCFR3qgAodvGkeEg
Moonlancer21

Japanese schools?

Post by Moonlancer21 »

[quote]I'm just starting a program near where I live, unfortunately I don't remember the name.
[/quote]

Couldn't be the one at Clark University could it?
My friend tried there for lessons and was back listed.