EGL

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

EGL

Post by Risikafox »

I'm almost positive this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any other thread about this, so... There aren't any shops in the Boston are selling Gothic Lolita style clothing, are there? I'm having a hard time finding anything online in English, so if anyone knows of any reputable sites to order from, that would also be appreciated.
Fetch
Show-off

EGL

Post by Fetch »

Have you checked Hootenanny? (36 JFK St, Cambridge, MA)
Have you checked The Garment District? (200 Broadway, Cambridge, MA)

Both of those stores offer a wide selection for cosplay possibilities.
themower
Expert Poster

EGL

Post by themower »

No, there are no places to buy lolita clothing in Boston. Boston is not exactly a fashion forward city and there is really no place in all of the US to buy lolita anyway..
You can find some basic items at H&M and the like if you know what you are doing.

http://www.lolitafashion.org can provide you with some information! And you can get cheap items from http://annahousefashion.com and Bodyline now ships directly as well: http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/
(aka don't ever buy from Cosmates everrrrr). Bodyline has had better designs lately but you have to remember that some things will be quite short (and of course a few items are still in questionable taste).
Angelic Pretty, Baby the Stars Shine Bright, and Metamorphose all ship internationally as well if your budget will allow for those brands. You can buy second hand from the livejournal community http://egl_comm_sales.livejournal.com too.

Oh and from Fetch's reply, last I checked, Hootenanny stocks socks from Leg Avenue that are direct copies of lolita brand socks (knee highs with ribbon and bow prints etc). So you could look into that.
Jennachan
Show-off

EGL

Post by Jennachan »

We don't tend to carry a lot of Lolita like stuff at The Garment District. It being a second hand store, we don't see much like that. We do have a nice selection of socks and once in a while some cute Mary Janes. You would have to get lucky though on the clothes. Possibly if you felt like getting creative and altering stuff, but thats another topic all together.
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

EGL

Post by Sayako-chan »

[quote=Jennachan]The Garment District[/quote]

Where is this magical place?!
Jennachan
Show-off

EGL

Post by Jennachan »

200 Broadway
Cambridge, MA
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

EGL

Post by Zigfried »

PRAISE! GIVE WORSHIP TO THE DOLLAR POUND AND ITS GLORY!
ima_robot
Getting the hang of this...

EGL

Post by ima_robot »

[quote=Fetch]Have you checked Hootenanny? (36 JFK St, Cambridge, MA)[quote]

i went there this saturday and didnt see anything lolita-ish.
i did see some peti-coats and a couple of skirts but that was it.

=[
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

EGL

Post by servantofreeoth »

[quote=Jennachan]200 Broadway
Cambridge, MA[/quote]

How far of a drive/walk is this from the hynes convention center?

Just wondering....Thanks. :blush:
Bryguy180
Expert Poster

EGL

Post by Bryguy180 »

Normally I would let someone who knows Boston more answer this, but it's been two days, so...
If you get on the Green Line at the Hynes stop and take an inbound train to Park Street, you can get on the Red Line. I'm pretty sure that the Red Line train that heads towards Alewife goes through Cambridge, but don't quote me on that =/.

You definitely don't want to walk there, and I really don't think you want to drive, either.
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

EGL

O....ok....

Thanks a lot.
jessica
Committed Poster

EGL

Post by jessica »

[quote=servantofreeoth]O....ok....

Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

If you really want to go to Hootenanny, hop on the red line and get off at Harvard and look for the Garage. (Which I believe is an Alewife train, but still look at the map.)

Edit: If you want to go to the Garment District/Dollar-a-Pound, get off at Kendall on the red line.. I'm not too sure how to get the from Kendall, but I know Kendall is the stop.
Echan
Veteran Poster

EGL

Post by Echan »

To get to Garment District from Kendal you just have to walk up Broadway for 10-15 minutes. Kendal lets out on Main St, Broadway is one street over from Main.
Jennachan
Show-off

EGL

Post by Jennachan »

Get off at MIT on the red line, go into the hotel that you will be exiting next to, all the way through, until you are on the opposite side. Take a left and walk for about 15 mins. Building has a pink stripe painted on the side with the number 200 on it. Can't miss it.

Driving there isn't bad. Street parking which fills up depending on the day, but some of the streets nearby sometimes have a space or two.
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

EGL

I will probably mapquest it, and drive there.

I don't even know what the "red line" is. How much does it cost...do I need a membership or something?

If it's roughly a 15 minute walk, it's gotta be like.....5 minutes worth of a drive right? Since I am driving to the convention anyway, what's another 5 minutes....

And thanks all you guys for the help.
jessica
Committed Poster

EGL

Post by jessica »

[quote=servantofreeoth]

I don't even know what the "red line" is. How much does it cost...do I need a membership or something?

[/quote]

Wow. Okay.

The red line is part of Boston's public transportation system (MBTA). It's 2.00$ for a fare, if you have a charlie card it's 1.70$.
stray-x
Veteran Poster

EGL

Post by stray-x »

[quote=jessica][quote=servantofreeoth]

[/quote]

Wow. Okay.

The red line is part of Boston's public transportation system (MBTA). It's 2.00$ for a fare, if you have a charlie card it's 1.70$.[/quote]
Here's a map of the MBTA: http://www.w3.org/Conferences/WWW4/images/MBTA.gif
Charlie cards are free, so just ask for one at the service desk. :)
Art Wolf
AB Alumni

EGL

Post by Art Wolf »

Heh, tbh I would suggest hopping on the number 1 bus which is at the end of the road beside the T stop which will take you right to central square and Harvard.

The garment district looks annoying to get to but if you get the #1 up to Harvard and look around the store there, you can get the #68 down Broadway and there is a stop just after the store.

MBTA.com is great - once you get used to it..
John Doyle
Senior Tech Ops
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

EGL

Thanks for the pricing, charlie ticket info, and map. :)

I live in the suburbs...and I have never taken the bus anywhere so that's why I asked....but if for some reason I can't just get there by car, I'll try this out.

Thanks again.
morningmimi
Getting the hang of this...

EGL

Post by morningmimi »

I know many people have allready mentioned Hootenanny but I just want to strongly suggest going there.
I was there like 2 weeks ago, and they have many dresses on clearance right now. They are more Mod than Loli, but still very cute.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hootenanny-cambridge