Nonanime Cosplay

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
masakijamie
Experienced Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by masakijamie »

Have you ever seen any cosplayers that cosplay someone that doesn't relate to anime?

To me, yes. I saw Lady Gaga cosplayers!!! 3 Lady Gaga cosplayers. It was the best cosplay I've ever seen. (I'm a Lady Gaga fan. XD)
AB '15-Rinoa Heartilly from FFVIII
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by Badonkadonk »

I was the Quantum Ranger from Power Rangers Time Force on Friday and Saturday. Only a few people recognized it but those who did were very excited, which is just about what I expected. A couple of people took my picture after admitting that they didn't know what my costume was, they just thought it looked awesome. At one point a Tenth Doctor who was in character recognized my Morpher, and that made my weekend (I'm still looking for the picture that somebody took of us together).

I saw a lot of Western comic costumes like Deadpool, Batman and Kick-Ass and a Mr.T cosplayer who I saw before at PAX East. Since I have only a baseline working knowledge of anime outside of Evangelion I was more excited by most of the non-anime cosplay I'm going to Otakon this year and I'll probably wear my Quantum Ranger costume again (if it's not too hot in the convention center) and maybe try to put together a costume that would be more recognizable to the anime crowd - even the people dressed as Power Rangers at AB didn't know about the Quantum Ranger.
Don Julio
Expert Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by Don Julio »

i had Ninja Turtle puppets ..not really an anime... plus if we are gonna get nit picky i saw alot of video game cosplays that technically arnt Animes
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

[quote=masakijamie]Have you ever seen any cosplayers that cosplay someone that doesn't relate to anime?

To me, yes. I saw Lady Gaga cosplayers!!! 3 Lady Gaga cosplayers. It was the best cosplay I've ever seen. (I'm a Lady Gaga fan. XD)[/quote]
hey my friend was lady gaga! http://americanzombie26.deviantart.com/#/d3d86ad
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
RobinHood3000
Getting the hang of this...

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by RobinHood3000 »

My knowledge of anime is pretty limited compared to most. My go-to cosplay for the formal dance is for Will Eisner's (by-way-of-Frank Miller) The Spirit. I feel people tend to be more lenient when people cosplay as non-anime characters at an anime convention than when they cosplay as non-game characters at a gaming convention (e.g., PAX East).
heartstarmagick
Experienced Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by heartstarmagick »

There were some absolutely AMAZING Soul Calibur cosplayers.

And of course, the Angeal that I kept running into. That guy legit made my life. Among the other FFVII characters.

Then all the Org. XIII cosplayers. <3 I ran into a Steampunk!Ventus (or..maybe he was a Roxas. I'm so bad at telling them apart, I won't even lie) who was with a Steampunk!Dante (from DMC <3) That was really epic.
AB 2012!!
Superior Xemnas (with my Org. XIII group) from Kingdom Hearts
Mother JENOVA (with my Professor Hojo) from Final Fantasy VII
AB 2013!!
Axel {and possibly/probably Xemnas} (with my Saix) from Kingdom Hearts
Lucrecia Crescent (with my Professor Hojo) from FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus
Spirit Albarn (with my Stein) from Soul Eater {extremely tentative}
Fetch
Show-off

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by Fetch »

The Inspector Gadget at AB'11 was cool.
His suitcase played his theme song.

And of course, the multitude of 'Doctor Who' cosplayers. Maybe it was because the newest season premiered on the Saturday of AB.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I always enjoy seeing the Storm Troopers from "Star Wars" at AB.

Also saw Mario & Luigi this year, too. When they saw each other, they hugged, and someone snapped their picture.:)
PatrickD
AB Staff

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by PatrickD »

You guys see all those people cosplaying as security by the Hynes door who were asking to see badges? They looked just like real security guys! ;)

I also saw some guys dressed as custodians cleaning rooms and refilling water.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
NobiZero
Expert Poster

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by NobiZero »

[quote=Fetch]The Inspector Gadget at AB'11 was cool.
His suitcase played his theme song.[/quote]
Haha, he "arrested" me for vigilantism on Saturday.
pasttheshy

Nonanime Cosplay

Post by pasttheshy »

I did see a Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers on friday. And a bunch of people from this webcomic/flash thing called Homestuck. The people with the candy corn horns. Though I only knew who they were because my friend likes it and told me ahead of time. She was the Wayward Vagabond.
Blade21576
Expert Poster

Re: Nonanime Cosplay

Post by Blade21576 »

hey im not anime and i dont care i 1 CLAPTRAP should have been anime... and 2... I was blast all sorts of anime oriented video game music... so BAHH HAHHH and PSHHHHHH
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

Blade21576 wrote:hey im not anime and i dont care i 1 CLAPTRAP should have been anime... and 2... I was blast all sorts of anime oriented video game music... so BAHH HAHHH and PSHHHHHH
Huh, I recognize a lot of English words there, but the order they're in makes it difficult to understand what's being said. Plus there would appear to be a lot of missing words.
gaaralover

Post by gaaralover »

i saw lady gaga, ninja turtles, avatar (the james cameron kind lol), avatar the last airbender (is that anime?), finn from adventure time, and a lot more

also my sisters friend was kabuchimaru (kabuto and orochimaru's daughter) lol she looked awesome XD
masakijamie
Experienced Poster

Post by masakijamie »

Blade21576 wrote:hey im not anime and i dont care i 1 CLAPTRAP should have been anime... and 2... I was blast all sorts of anime oriented video game music... so BAHH HAHHH and PSHHHHHH
Ummm...Correct your post please. ^^;
i saw lady gaga, ninja turtles, avatar (the james cameron kind lol), avatar the last airbender (is that anime?), finn from adventure time, and a lot more

also my sisters friend was kabuchimaru (kabuto and orochimaru's daughter) lol she looked awesome XD
LOL! XD I love AVATAR(James Cameron version). And yes, Avatar: The Last Airbender counts as Anime.
AB '15-Rinoa Heartilly from FFVIII
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

I saw an Abby Scuito(misspelled?), a guy who really looked like the video game version of Dante from DMC3, and a couple who looked like Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers at the Mock Combat.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
Wilderstorm
Expert Poster

Post by Wilderstorm »

Especially on Easter, I tend to see a lot of Jesus cosplayers XD I think we saw Raptor Jesus at the Chibi Project in '08. And of course, we see Captain Jack Sparrow on a regular basis, and Batman, and a ton of videogame characters.

Possibly my biggest moment of SQUEE this year was meeting people cosplaying from Dragon Age II (Flemeth and Hawke). It was kind of amazing :D
2007: Kaiser Ryo (Yu-Gi-Oh GX)
2008: Neji Hyuuga (Naruto)
2009: Zero (Code Geass R2), Artbook Lelouch
2010: Hotaru (Samurai Deeper Kyo MANGA)
2011: Kallen Kouzuki (Code Geass R1)
2012: Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Kallen Kouzuki, Cheren (Pokemon Black and White), Kaiser Ryo, Zero (Event-only), Neji (Event-only)
2013: Hishigi (Samurai Deeper Kyo), Youko Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho), Rin Matsuoka (Free!/Swimming Anime)

Saturday 2019: Hell Kaiser Ryo (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX)
Spoofehness
AB Staff

Post by Spoofehness »

Storm troopers don't count. If Webcomics are any indication of con standards, storm troopers are required for any 'geeky' con. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up at fantasy conventions. I was actually really pleasantly surprised by this post. I though it would be just people bashing nonanime cosplays but this is really nice ^_^ I was thinking of going as a non-anime cosplay in a few years and it's nice to know that there will be less negative reception than I may have thought.
(L.) Nik Golubic (-Campbell)
2005-10__ : Attendee
2011 _____: Volunteer
2012-14, 16: Security Staff
2017-20, 22: Con Ops Staff
2024______: Tech Staff
PyroGodFlameCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by PyroGodFlameCosplay »

i saw darth vader when i was waiting in line. my 0_0. wtf lol. :D
ANIME BOSTON COSPLAY 2016
SATURDAY:
IZURU KIRA [100% DONE]
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Oh, I almost forgot. Back in 2005, I saw a Klingon at AB.
Nessa
Expert Poster

Post by Nessa »

PatrickD wrote:You guys see all those people cosplaying as security by the Hynes door who were asking to see badges? They looked just like real security guys! ;)

I also saw some guys dressed as custodians cleaning rooms and refilling water.
Me too! they looked so real :O!
AB 2009: Yuki Cross (Vampire Knight)
AB 2010: Android 17 (Dragon Ball Z)
AB 2011: Sims
AB 2012: Penguin kigurumi
AB 2013/2014: Mikuru Asahina (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Penguin kigurumi
AB 2015: Heather Mason (Silent Hill game), penguin kigu