Cosplayer's Invade Boston Vol.5 (Pedestrian Reactions)

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
EatTheKids
Experienced Poster

Post by EatTheKids »

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been made yet.

I got a lot of funny looks and double takes from "normies" this year, most likely due to the gas mask :p . One of my favorite reactions that I got would have to be from this little girl I walked by at the food court. Her dad was carrying her in his arms and she was looking over his shoulder and saw me. She actually smiled, laughed, and pointed me out to her dad. Surprising reaction from a small child, to me at least, because most of my little cousins cry and run from the room when they see me WITHOUT my face covered. We waved to each other as I walked by. Needless to say it made my day a bit brighter. :D .

So, anyone else got a story to share?
AB'06-07~Attendee
AB'08-10~Merchant (RE4)
AB'11~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'12~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'13~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
Shining Armor{Modern Interpretation} (MLP)
80's Hong Kong Movie Detective
plantea80
Experienced Poster

Post by plantea80 »

The reactions from the normies were not as surprising this time around. Only reaction I got from them was when I was walking through the Prudential center in geta and they asked "how does he walk in those?" Love when they say it loud enough to turn and say "surprisingly not that hard"

That and the families got a kick out of the elevator dance parties at the Marriott. Got to love that kids can be entertained by dancing just as the elevator doors are closing, and cosplaying as Jiraiya ^_^
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Post by Zigfried »

One of my favorite things to do was when my group (all in costume) got into an elevator with other people, I'd say, "Bunch of freaks here today, huh?" or "What the hell's going on today?" I swear I got at least a smirk out of some people.
plantea80
Experienced Poster

Post by plantea80 »

[quote=My_Wayward_Son]One of my favorite things to do was when my group (all in costume) got into an elevator with other people, I'd say, "Bunch of freaks here today, huh?" or "What the hell's going on today?" I swear I got at least a smirk out of some people.[/quote]

Haha! that is awesome! ^_^
pasttheshy
Getting the hang of this...

Post by pasttheshy »

Not any that could compare to last year when I saw Link and Zelda getting their picture taken with a family of Japanese tourists. Although I did manage to explain the concept quickly to a woman and her children.
Naomi-Ai
Experienced Poster

Post by Naomi-Ai »

[quote=plantea80]The reactions from the normies were not as surprising this time around.[/quote]

I found a lot more normies were curious and interested as to what was going on instead of their normal "OMG, WTF" reactions. It was actually kinda a nice change.
AB 2013
-----
Fri - ???
Sat - Classic Lolita
Sun - lolita!fem!Sweden
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

I had some pretty positive reactions. Most people were just asking what was going on, or they asked "Anime Boston this weekend? Thought so." One woman stopped me in the mall and asked what we were all doing, and when I explained, she said very enthusiastically, "Awesome! You guys rock!" Thought that was nice.
Also, coming back from pre-registeration on Thursday (in cosplay), we met a friend of ours on the training coming home from work. He knows us, but he didn't know this side of us. Pretty funny.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
ruzsha

Post by ruzsha »

I had a non-con attendee at my hotel ask what was going on and she seemed very genuine and intrigued and commented on "all the beautiful costumes". It was nice to have positive reactions from an outsider, especially when not everyone responds so kindly.
Lolita on Friday
Shana on Saturday
Celebi
espy
I'm new!

Post by espy »

My friend was a Luxray (Or shinx) on Saturday. Said costume was made up of a black feather boa, blue kneesocks, a hood, ears from the artist alley, and so on.

As we were getting our train tickets at a gas station a guy was reading his paper, did a double take, then looked at my friend with an expression of pure confusion, it was just great.
pumptothekin

Post by pumptothekin »

I'm not sure why (maybe I was so happy I was glowing or something!) but my friend and I had about ten different groups of non-con attendees stop us and ask what was going on! This just seemed like alot to me compared to last year when only one or two people stopped us. Most of them wanted to know what we were dressed as (Hatsune Miku and Megurine Luka) and a few looked really blank when I tried to explain it to them but all were really polite! I really love when people ask me questions because I love sharing my enthusiasm!! It gives me a warm bubbly feeling :3
Caesar
Expert Poster

Post by Caesar »

Some older woman told me something amusing "don't be sad Caesar" I responded by saying I was just tired. Evidently I had a bit of a grimace on my face at the time. Then there were a few people in the food court who thought I was Zeus... which I suppose is closer than all the people who kept confusing me with Con Jesus.

However the funniest moment was when I was standing in line for the booze n beernut party and some old, very important looking hotel guy walked in, (we assumed he was a manager or something.) the sheer look of horror on his face was priceless, he was like, "oh no, what have I agreed to?" I was cracking up...
"Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of kings." Horace
Etherial_Silky

Post by Etherial_Silky »

I didn't get any odd reactions this year but last year I kept hearing people whispering "oh their into anime" or "anime freaks" etc and one little kid yelled "Mommy look it's Ash!!!" he was adorable.
keyblademaster
Experienced Poster

Re: Cosplayer's Invade Boston Vol.5 (Pedestrian Reactions)

Post by keyblademaster »

The reactions were different for me. Mostly because me and my friends took the train. We got off the train at Boston and so many people looked at us and had the expression of "What in the world?" I then looked at them and said Hi. It was ok when we took the sub. because there were other cosplayers too. My fave. reaction was from a little boy who said "Daddy! That's a BIG key!" because I was cosplaying as Xion. Good Times, good times.
Anime Boston 2011=(First con. Ever!!) Xion
AB 2012= Crona? Gakuen Italy?
fluffymecrazy
Expert Poster

Post by fluffymecrazy »

Hah I had a little old lady walked up to me and asked me why everyone was all dressed up in weird costumes and why I had pink long hair xD
I had to explain it all to her in simple terms

Besides her, I got a few weird looks on my way to get lunch. That's really all I got.
I am a magical unicorn. DO NOT JUDGE ME.

AB '11; Megurine Luka, Love is War
AB '12; Ruki, The GazettE "Zetsu"
Heine, DOGS: Bullets and Carnage

Yah, I know... I'm a n00b, problem? >w>
GuyWithTheFace
Experienced Poster

Post by GuyWithTheFace »

This was my first year at Anime Boston, and in fact at any con. I think my favorite moment this year was, on my way to the Hynes, a young couple stopped me and asked why I was dressed up. After explaining, they gave me a knowing "Ooooh, that explains all the people!" And immediately afterwards decided to register and join in, having me lead them to the registration area at the Sheraton. :D

Oh, and the reactions the kids give are often the best, the ones that don't look on in awe and wonder simply take it in stride and think you're the coolest guy ever :mrgreen:
Angel ♥︎
Veteran Poster

Post by Angel ♥︎ »

My dad works nearby and decided to meet me and my mom at the food court for lunch. He looked scared to death at everyone cosplaying, I could swear I saw him twitch in annoyance a couple of times... I seriously just couldn't stop myself from laughing ^^ Doubt he'll come back there for lunch on a day of the con next year ><

There was also some girl who was just there to eat, no cosplay or anything, guessing she definitely wasn't attending the con. She kept staring at me, she looked kinda interested... I walked by her with a wide grin, she kept staring at me like I was the most amazing thing ever ^^
'11: Evangeline A.K. McDowell
'13: Len Kagamine
'14: Marry Kozakura
'15: [no cosplay]

Art // Tumblr // Twitter // Art Blog
yoshimitsu101
Experienced Poster

Post by yoshimitsu101 »

well wen i was waiting at the bus stop with my friends people stared, on the bus they were asking y r we in costumes and on the train we saw at least 3 cosplayers besides my friends and the same thing all 3 days besides the bus that only happened on friday
"Over confidence is your greatest enemy" - Yoshimitsu
kunagi333
I'm new!

Post by kunagi333 »

We were walking home to my friends house. She lives in Brockton and we were visiting from school to her house. One of our friends Cosplayed as Duke Nukem with fake nerf guns. Ok so she lives in a not so friendly neighborhood. So we are walking there at about ten thirty at night on friday. We here Trick or Treat from across the way from some people that you don't want to do with. Idiot Duke Nukem decided to point his fake guns and pretend to shoot at them. Well they got into their car and preceded to chase us. Good thing we ducked into an alley way and fled. Duke Nukem may have balls of steel but hes lucky we didn't kill him.
AnimeGuru06
AB Alumni

Post by AnimeGuru06 »

I managed to get a lot of reactions when I walked to the bank with my friends(I was cosplaying as Bowser off of Mario). I got car horn beeps, I got people yelling outta car windows, I got this awesome dude on the street that everytime I'd walk by he would say "RAWR!!!" I'd say "rawr" and he would pretend to be all scared :p But, as with every year, I always get asked the same question "What is this going on that I see everyone dressed up for?"
Kim Norton

Security Staff '07-'16
Spoofehness
AB Alumni

Post by Spoofehness »

It's actually from the year before last, but I was a little annoyed with the 'normies' that year. I had been cosplaying Bleach's Halibel and a friend informed me that the moment we left the con, people were trying to see into my pants. (if you don't know, the character has pants with big holes on the hips) And they call us the wierdos...
(L.) Nik Golubic (-Campbell)
2005-10: Attendee
2011 : Volunteer
2012-14, 16: Security Staff
2017-20, 22: Con Ops Staff
yoshimitsu101
Experienced Poster

Post by yoshimitsu101 »

AnimeGuru06 wrote:I managed to get a lot of reactions when I walked to the bank with my friends(I was cosplaying as Bowser off of Mario). I got car horn beeps, I got people yelling outta car windows, I got this awesome dude on the street that everytime I'd walk by he would say "RAWR!!!" I'd say "rawr" and he would pretend to be all scared :p But, as with every year, I always get asked the same question "What is this going on that I see everyone dressed up for?"
I would love 2 c tht but alas no 1 cares 4 shadow the hedgehog tht much anymore :(
"Over confidence is your greatest enemy" - Yoshimitsu
Starwind
Expert Poster

Post by Starwind »

A little girl starting screaming at her mom to get out here camera when she saw me at Gamestop (I was the Red Ranger). Then it got awkward because she thought I was Jayden from PRS but I was really Jason (or Rocky) from MMPR.
2006: State Alchemist from FMA
2011: Red Ranger from MMPR
2012: Red Ranger from MMPR