Mall goers who love you cosplay

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

Has anyone who was a non-con goer love your cosplay,
or started a conversation with you due to your cosplay?

On Saturday, me and my friend was at the food court and waiting for our friends.
This guy in table next to us lean over and said,
“Hey your the guy from bleach!”

He then struck a conversation with my friend with a huge smile on his face.
Telling his GF that he was cosplaying a character from his favorite anime.
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Two or three years ago, I was dressed as Chii, and an old lady sat down and talked to me on a bench. She said she comes every year just to watch all the costumes and stuff. She asked me if I could name characters and I did. She loved my outfit and just seemed very happy with the event. I haven't seen her since though.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

I wasn't in costume myself, but an older gentleman seated next to me in the food court was obviously intrigued by the cosplay. He asked me what was going on, and I gave him as much detail as he wanted. His curiosity was quite sincere.

It was one of those positive experiences fandom sometimes has with those on the outside looking in. I wish there were more like them.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Houski
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Houski »

Some young girls pointed to me giggling saying "Ooohh, look it's L!" and I smiled and did a "BANG!" (When L made a hand-gun-thingy and screamed bang to the other officers) and they kept giggling and one screamed. :D It made my day teehee
NobiZero
Expert Poster

Post by NobiZero »

On Saturday during the 1ish DC photoshoot, everyone tried to enter the office looking place with the water running down the wall. After security shooed everyone out, he looks at me smiles and goes "Kick-Ass! Awesome!"
EatTheKids
Experienced Poster

Post by EatTheKids »

When I was walking through the food court to go out to their outdoor dining area, I passed by a table seated by two college age Asians (Not sure which exact ethnicity, definately not Thai since I am a Thai person myself). All three of us made eye contact and stared for a moments before I greeted them with a "hello" through the microphone in the mask. They looked at each other, said a few words to each other in their language, laughed, and then proceeded to ask for a picture with me. They seemed to really like my costume :) .
AB'06-07~Attendee
AB'08-10~Merchant (RE4)
AB'11~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'12~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'13~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
Shining Armor{Modern Interpretation} (MLP)
80's Hong Kong Movie Detective
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Post by momoney781 »

someone took a picture of me in the borders bookstore. And an older woman in the food court told me i look like someone from the renaissance. Thank you Ezio :)
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
Naomi-Ai
Experienced Poster

Post by Naomi-Ai »

I had a nice woman compliment my lolita skirt (not actually cosplay but most people don't know that) at Dunkin' on Sunday; she seemed interested and we talked for a bit about what I was wearing and how people seemed to be having a lot of fun.
AB 2013
-----
Fri - ???
Sat - Classic Lolita
Sun - lolita!fem!Sweden
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]Two or three years ago, I was dressed as Chii, and an old lady sat down and talked to me on a bench. She said she comes every year just to watch all the costumes and stuff. She asked me if I could name characters and I did. She loved my outfit and just seemed very happy with the event. I haven't seen her since though.[/quote]

AWWWWW thats a really cute story!!! :)
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
master0monster

Post by master0monster »

A few years ago I was dressed in my Heinkel Wolfe cosplay (dressed like a catholic priest) and got into the elevator in the hotel. A few floors down the doors opened and a group of women rushed in.

It was a group of bridesmaids, the bride and the brides mother, all fully dressed and on the way to the wedding. Once the doors closed and they got a look at me an awkward silence commenced. that is until I stupidly blurted out "Well... I'm dressed rather appropriately for the occasion!" then one of the brides maids gave a nervous giggle and it went back to awkward silence.
Weirdest and best cosplay moment I've ever had.
ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

I had several of those moments with the non-con goers this year. I think the most memorable of all the conversations I had though was with two members of the Boston Police Department. I got off the elevator Saturday morning in the Marriott and promptly ran into two uniformed officers. I was wearing my Celtics T-Shirt and we actually had a great conversation about the previous nights game.
Faifai

Post by Faifai »

I walked in the Mall serveral times, and i had non-con-goers take my pictures and ask me questions XD
I think the best one was when i was sitting in the food court waiting for my friends to get food and this little girl she looked about 6 and asked if i knew Sailor Moon, and i said Yes and pointed to a sailor moon cosplayer and she looked back at her mom and said "mommy mommy can i go hug sailor moon?" She hugs me and ran up to the Sailor moon cosplayer and hugged her!
It was like the CUTEST thing EVER.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Fai-Mommy]I walked in the Mall serveral times, and i had non-con-goers take my pictures and ask me questions XD
I think the best one was when i was sitting in the food court waiting for my friends to get food and this little girl she looked about 6 and asked if i knew Sailor Moon, and i said Yes and pointed to a sailor moon cosplayer and she looked back at her mom and said "mommy mommy can i go hug sailor moon?" She hugs me and ran up to the Sailor moon cosplayer and hugged her!
It was like the CUTEST thing EVER.[/quote]

The best part about that IMO, is that a 6 year old girl knows what Sailor Moon is these days. Very cute. :)
LinaLoN

Post by LinaLoN »

Aww that made me laugh. Can I hug Sailor Moon? Too cute. Wish I could had been there.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

The little children seemed to like my costume a lot.
Misakochan
Determined Poster

Post by Misakochan »

A couple years ago when I cosplayed Link from Majora's Mask I had a lot of mall shoppers come up to me and tell me about how their children play Zelda and love the game, and ask for pictures. I also ran across a lot of kids who would get really excited or just look at me in awe and point me out to their parents.
Both this year and when I cosplayed Link I had a handful of tourists also come up to me and take pictures with me and ask me all about the convention.
I was surprised how many people approached me this year, as I was dressed with Yoko and was expecting a lot of looks of disapproval from mall-goers, but most were genuinely interested and wanted pictures. I even had a few people think my rifle was real, which was pretty funny. XD
Some of the best moments were probably waiting for the elevator, or riding the elevator with non-congoers, who were surprisingly talkative.
Once we were outside the elevator and it opened with way too many people for us to get on, so we awkwardly looked at each until the doors closed. While the doors were closing I just heard "Wow. She's going to be cold."
AB 09- Young Link (Majora's Mask)
AB 10- Riza Hawkeye (FMA)
AB 11- Yoko Ritona (Gurren Lagann)
AB 12- Zelda (Skyward Sword)
AB 13- Zelda and Young Link
AB 14- Tetra, Link, Winry, Riza
Naomi-Ai
Experienced Poster

Post by Naomi-Ai »

[quote=Fai-Mommy]I walked in the Mall serveral times, and i had non-con-goers take my pictures and ask me questions XD
It was like the CUTEST thing EVER.[/quote]

So much cute! I think that's an awesome one.
AB 2013
-----
Fri - ???
Sat - Classic Lolita
Sun - lolita!fem!Sweden
chandyland
I'm new!

Post by chandyland »

I was walking through the mall in my SNSD(a korean girl group) cosplay and a couple korean guys walking past me did a double take XD. They were all like O.O and saying the korean name for SNSD :D
Someone else who recognized me in the food court asked me for a picture, and then was like "omg my friends are gonna be so jealous!" haha
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=chandyland]I was walking through the mall in my SNSD(a korean girl group) cosplay and a couple korean guys walking past me did a double take XD. They were all like O.O and saying the korean name for SNSD :D
Someone else who recognized me in the food court asked me for a picture, and then was like "omg my friends are gonna be so jealous!" haha[/quote]

Oh, "Gee" o:
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Post by stray-x »

[quote=chandyland]I was walking through the mall in my SNSD(a korean girl group) cosplay and a couple korean guys walking past me did a double take XD. They were all like O.O and saying the korean name for SNSD :D
Someone else who recognized me in the food court asked me for a picture, and then was like "omg my friends are gonna be so jealous!" haha[/quote]
I wish I saw you during the con! I love SNSD!
chandyland
I'm new!

Post by chandyland »

I was wearing the white Genie outfit :D
Who were you cosplaying? I might've seen you!
Lathrine
Expert Poster

Post by Lathrine »

There was one little girl in the foodcourt on Saturday evening that seemed to particularly love Deidara, slightly grumpy or no. :'D And our KH photoshoot on Sunday got an awful lot of mall goer lovin'. Especially the adorable/heartbreaking/awesome scenes, like Axel, Xion and Roxas all hugging, or Roxas grabbing for Xion's hand.
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

At my very first AB(2009) and I was dressed as Prince Zuko.
I was walking to the food court and I noticed this little boy point at me and talking with a huge simile to his dad.
So I stoped in front of the kid did a high front kick and gave the kid a thumbs up. :)
The Kid was so happy! :D
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
NotWaldo

Re: Mall goers who love you cosplay

Post by NotWaldo »

My friends and I spent some time in the mall on Saturday. I was dressed as Waldo and was recognized by two or three children (couldn't have been more then 5 or 6 years old) and they were so intrigued by my costume and one of them yelled to his mother "It's like my book!" It made my day. :D